• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

Big Ghost said:
This probably coulda been on MBDTF too… Shit got that Cruel Summer feel to it too (Yall thought THAT shit was hard to enjoy…). But this shit even creepy for a Kanye song bruh…talmbout bitin n eatin ass… Son made sure he mentioned it was some Asian box he was pourin sweet n sour sauce on n a Black chick he was puttin his fist in like a civil rights sign tho. Jus so we kno he not sayin this shit bout his Armenian queen namsayin. But if he WAS describin his baby moms on this song he probably woulda stuck a lamb kebab in her ass n spread baba ghanoush all on it. Listen son….what this muthafucka wanna do in the privacy of his own domain is his business n whatever namsayin…but all I can picture is a seeded up Kim K wit her orca dress half off n a gagball n her mouth when he sayin this nasty shit yo. Ionno what purpose a muthafucka might have for this track other than to have shit to listen to at a Trojan orgy or some shit like that. If you rock latex garments n enjoy painful sex this might be your jam tho…

LMAO!!

overcast

Kanye West - Yeezus ALBUM REVIEW

NeedleDrop gives Yeezus a 5/10.

We could still chill together Anthony.
lkGSVV6.gif

Oozer3993

There appear to be 3 versions of the album:

1. Physical (mastered ever so slightly worse, no beat drops)
2. Digital (non-US iTunes) (beat drop at 1:15 in I Am A God, no beat drop during Send It Up)
3. US iTunes (mastered a smidge better, beat drops during I Am A God and Send It Up)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
the version I got from Amazon has the beat cut out during the messing with god part. sounds the same as the itunes version
Right but it doesnt have the beat cutout during the prince part that people are claiming was in the itunes version.

2. Digital (non-US iTunes) (beat drop at 1:15 in I Am A God, no beat drop during Send It Up)
3. US iTunes (mastered a smidge better, beat drops during I Am A God and Send It Up)
This is pure foolishness but this is what I was saying earlier. There are definitely 3 versions.

Nori Chan

I didn't feel I'm in it after my first listen. Everything else was godlike. Currently on blood on the leaves which I had on repeat during the leak lol

hwalker84

Dammit I hate iTunes... May have to drop some coin on that version.

Mononoke

Banned
Fantano is right on with his review.

I think I enjoy this album more than him, but from a critical perspective, I'm just not seeing the high praise this one is getting. But regardless if your opinion lines up with his, I still think he did a good job explaining what he didn't like about this record.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah I listen to a lot of Anthony's reviews and though I almost always disagree with him, he makes good points. Same is the case with Yeezus. Also his reviews never seem to match up with his scores.

The amount of different sounds mashed together is the biggest reason why I think people will hate this album, especially moreso in a month. And the shallower nature of it especially coming off of MBDTF.

Fantano completely lost me when he said Bound 2 was the best lyrically on the album though. Even content wise I don't think so. It's also one of the messiest compositions too.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

the US iTunes/NZ iTunes are also mastered differently from each other.

Fantano does bring up some great points, but the auto tuned singing has never bothered me, unless it is done poorly (which isn't the case here) and his taste in hip hop confuses the shit out of me.

Kusagari

I knew Fantano was going to give it a low score

Every time he talks about Kanye he says he's not interested in Kanye's ego, which this album is about more than ever.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Which one is better?

Hold My Liquor seems to be the only track with a Lossy Master source across the itunes releases and the cd version. As well as the iTunes US release has Lupe Fiasco speaking the first line on Black Skinhead alone.

The best release on the market currently is the FLAC Web release (This version of Hold My Liquor is not the same Lossy Master that is found elsewhere). WEB FLAC > US iTunes > NZ iTunes > CD

DominoKid

[–]Andref97 5 points 43 minutes ago
Any chance you could convince kanye to do an AMA?

[–]iAmMikeDean 4 points 28 minutes ago
no. he did one interview for the Times. And everybody took it out of context (Jake Tapper my new best friend).
parent

[–]riccflair 1 point 22 minutes ago
That's too bad, I feel like Kanye fans understand the references and wouldn't react the same way as "the media"
parent

load more comments (1 reply)

Mike Dean AMA

First impressions are it sounds like he was influenced by the "dark hip/hop" of Odd Future, Weeknd, etc. Definitely not pop music, which is cool.

Edit: it sucks that he's such an a-hole, but it's awesome to see someone so mainstream do such out-there stuff.

MThanded

From that reddit thread

CD version

iTunes version

That is pretty ridiculous. I understand Kanye wants to master until the last minute. Sure whatever. It's dumb that the CD version is effed like that.

Edit: Here is amazon version from my computer. Looks like it aligns with the itunes version not the CD version. I expect to lose some of the top due to the encoding/compression

Ordered the CD from Amazon with AutoRip. I guess I got two versions for the price of (less than) one?

AutoRip is great BTW since my disc drive is bad now.

MThanded

My officemate thinks someone fucked up accidentally submitted the wrong thing for the cd pressed version. It's almost like there was some unintentional filtering for everything above 16 khz. I can't think of a logical reason we see none of the higher frequencies.

DangerStepp

Fantano seems like a cool guy, but what the hell at that 5. I clicked the link on the side and he gave Kismet a 7.....
Yeah, I love Fantano but he just is not a Kanye fan.

I think he gave MBDTF a less than stellar review so wasn't holding out too much hope for this.

What a bore of an album CS was.

I'm glad we're still disappointed in Cruel Summer. Cruel Summer was the worst.

I barely listened to CS. Not enough of what I enjoy was on that album.

Struggle Kanye is gone man
Was totally rationalizing this the other day.

As much as I would love to hear the interesting and fun threads he spun earlier in his career (Workout Plan, Golddigger) or commentary on real life stuff we all face (All Falls Down, Spaceship) I had to convince myself that guy doesn't exist anymore.

That guy made it to the top and what we have now is current Kanye West. He still has demons to talk about in the form of money, booze, women, etc but it will never be as easy to relate to him as we did on the first few albums. Although, I wish he would creatively reach back to the storytelling mode he exhibited early on.

His later work tends to skew towards the same papparazzi/rich people trouble, but that's who he is and anything else would be a lie so at least he's honest, right?

I enjoy all of his music, but I don't think I will ever enjoy it as much as I did the College Dropout or Late Registration.

Jimothy

There are more slaves in the world right now than in any other time in history I believe.
That stat is basically useless seeing as there are more people period than any time in history. A better one would be percentage of the population who are slaves.

DominoKid

other interesting stuff from the Mike Dean AMA
- a Yeezus tour and Mike Dean will be playing in it
- there's a few different versions of Mama's Boyfriend. no idea when/if any will be released. it's up to Kanye. probably not the Q-Tip one since he played it at RBMA already.
- Kanye maintains his creativity by going to galleries, museums, and he studies.
- Mike's top 3 albums of all time are Untouchable, 2001 and Yeezus
- sometimes he shows Kanye stuff from KTT. he uses KTT for "market research"
- there was never an 8 minute version of I Am A God
- his favorite headphones are The RZAs (what up headphone-gaf)
- Studio Tip: Bring your producer to rehearsals with you for a while. Let him work on arrangements. And plan recordings, so you don't waste time in the studio.

Top Bottom