• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Well considering the first line of clinical features that are present in 100% of cases is "Funcionally severe developmental delay" I think it's fair to say Misha doesn't have Angleman.

You also missed the first part of that line in your quote "Speech impairment, no or minimal use of words"

For whatever reason, my mind registered speech impairment as her occasional stuttering, and I sort of glossed over that. I never thought she actually had Angleman, I just thought the part about non-verbal communication was funny, given her skills in sign language.

Also, making the attempt to go on Rin's path. I may break down and use a flowchart for this.

Kaper

1494.png

I love the internet

Ivegottagodocalibrations!

Soma

Can you explain without spoilers or not. I'm not even a fan of her as a character, so I really don't want to suffer through it.

For me, it was just that there was a lot of potential for her story but the writer didn't really touch upon a lot of it. There's also not a good sense of drama or romance compared to the other routes. The ending also felt a bit anti-climactic. There were a few moments that were really subtle and enjoyable but overall it just felt really rushed.

That said, she's still probably favorite girl next to Lilly (which is slightly ironic).

For me, it was just that there was a lot of potential for her story but the writer didn't really touch upon a lot of it. There's also not a good sense of drama or romance compared to the other routes. The ending also felt a bit anti-climactic. There were a few moments that were really subtle and enjoyable but overall it just felt really rushed.

That said, she's still probably favorite girl next to Lilly (which is slightly ironic).
Definitely agree with the romance part.
After she becomes Hisao's girlfriend, they hardly act like a couple at all. The writer kind of just brushes it off, even after they have sex. Then Hisao fucks Misha and feels guilty about it for a like a whole minute. Misha having feelings for Shizune was so poorly handled, as was her revelation to Hisao in general at the end of act three. I know I'm going down the path of the bad ending, but I don't expect the good ending to be any better. The writer's ineptitude kind of pisses me off the more I think about it.

Soma

I think the writer of Shizune's path assumes the reader
knows that Shizune doesn't know how to act like a girlfriend which may/may not explain how she acts after Hisao asks her out. Even then that's probably just a mark of poor writing to begin with since there's next to no hints as to how she really feels about him as a boyfriend. There's so much that could've been done, like for example: they never even confront the topic of his heart condition or why he's there in the first place.

The bad ending was weird too. It's like... did she find out what happened or did I just miss soemthing? The last scene still got me really sad since she has no one left anymore but man, the whole route was such a let down.

Thankfully there's been a few fan-written epilogues out there that made me feel better about her story. I've never ever been the kind of guy who reads fanfiction but I really enjoyed them especially since they're written by fans who, like me, enjoyed her character but were let down by the story.

Emitan

I think I'm doing Lilly and then Hamako's routes. Maybe Shizune... eventually.

I'll probably start Lilly's tomorrow because I actually have free time (hasn't stopped me from gaming, but that's procrastination...)

Boney

Banned
*General Shizune route, don't peak if you don't wanna get spoiled

I don't think the writer does anything wrong with the characterization of Shizune, and all of her actions and omissions are pretty delibarete, reflecting exactly who she is and what her "weaknesses" are.

I think the main issues are, Hisao not being able to communicate with her, which is exactly what'd you'd expect from the route and for this to be the most positive and note worthy aspect of the route, but the writer seem to take this for granted and barely squeezes a bit of acknowledgement that this is an issue. Hisao is no stranger of not understanding any of the girls, which is natural, and that's where the drama and conflict should stem from, be it Hisao doubting himself, his condition or their relationship., but again, nothing happens throughout most of the route.

Then finally when stuff starts to kick into high gear near the end of the route, Shizune opens up to Hisao, he is completely inept in the situation, and the confession falls short for both characters as Hisao doesn't learn from the exchange and he is unable to help Shizune deal with her issues.

Shizune is a pretty good character but every other character in the route doesn't allow her to shine, except Misha and Lilly to a certain extent. Plus she has a cunt dad.

tafer

For whatever reason, my mind registered speech impairment as her occasional stuttering, and I sort of glossed over that. I never thought she actually had Angleman, I just thought the part about non-verbal communication was funny, given her skills in sign language.

Also, making the attempt to go on Rin's path. I may break down and use a flowchart for this.

Real men don't use a dirty flowchart for Rin's route.

Real men deal with crap that makes no sense (but always seems wrong) until something goes not wrong. (Sort of, maybe, I don't know...)

Now that I've seen all of the endings for Shizune's route, I can't say that I hate the route. However, it is rather flawed. It has its good parts, but overall it not that great.
In regards to its faults, the whole Misha thing was totally mishandled. The fact that you are even given the choice to have sex with Misha is just so dumb, as well as everything surrounding it. I guess she's bi? I don't know, whatever. Then there's the visit to Shizune's home, which is a big chunk of act three, that ultimately felt kind of pointless. Making her father a two dimensional joke character didn't help, and then there's no mention of her mother whatsoever. Perhaps she and her brother just spawned inexplicably from their father. Learning that Lilly and Shizune are cousins was an interesting, though contrived, bit of information. I will say that her route definitely had the best Kenji moments, unless Lilly's route is even better in that department. I did like the resolves that everyone has at the end of the good ending, even though it's kind of disconnected from the rest of the narrative. Act four, regardless of which ending, has pacing issues. I take that back, the entirety of Shizune's route has pacing problems.

Route rankings thus far: Hanako/Rin > Emi > Shizune.

Now that I've seen all of the endings for Shizune's route, I can't say that I hate the route. However, it is rather flawed. It has its good parts, but overall it not that great.
In regards to its faults, the whole Misha thing was totally mishandled. The fact that you are even given the choice to have sex with Misha is just so dumb, as well as everything surrounding it. I guess she's bi? I don't know, whatever. Then there's the visit to Shizune's home, which is a big chunk of act three, that ultimately felt kind of pointless. Making her father a two dimensional joke character didn't help, and then there's no mention of her mother whatsoever. Perhaps she and her brother just spawned inexplicably from their father. Learning that Lilly and Shizune are cousins was an interesting, though contrived, bit of information. I will say that her route definitely had the best Kenji moments, unless Lilly's route is even better in that department. I did like the resolves that everyone has at the end of the good ending, even though it's kind of disconnected from the rest of the narrative. Act four, regardless of which ending, has pacing issues. I take that back, the entirety of Shizune's route has pacing problems.

Route rankings thus far: Hanako/Rin > Emi > Shizune.
About Misha:
Based on her expression during the act and her behavior afterward, I got the impression that she's thoroughly lesbian and that one reason she had sex with Hisao was to confirm that. Like she was hoping that her love for Shizune could be cured by the power of Penis.

About Misha:
Based on her expression during the act and her behavior afterward, I got the impression that she's thoroughly lesbian and that one reason she had sex with Hisao was to confirm that. Like she was hoping that her love for Shizune could be cured by the power of Penis.
Yeah, that was probably the intent.

Also, short hair Misha > drill hair Misha.

Madre de DIOS, this thread is delivering after being absent for a while. Good to see it's not so creepy like the few pages back. Did we get any new blood in here?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You are playing a visual novel about high school kids in Japan bonin' each other while reading English text of their Japanese conversations. That's pretty goddamn weeaboo.

Getting Shizune's route isn't that hard. It's pretty straightforward, unlike with Rin.

Yeah, I forgot you need to be aggressive, not defensive. Man, the lead-up to the end of Act 1 was super repetitive and annoying along that route, but the end made up for it, I liked the end of it a lot. Guess I have motivation to carry on!

You can also go into Shizune's route through Emi's one. Thas what I did and gave me a chance to yell at Misha

You yelled at Misha, Damn, now I wanna go back and see this. Anyways, I find it funny that in the Beginning of the game, the only main routes they show you are Lilly/Hanakos and Shizune. It seems like Emi's/Rin's route are all but afterthoughts.

Boney

Banned
I didn't like that scene. Either choice Hisao still acted like a jerk.

I feel i'd be pretty stressed out if I had to talk to misha after a heart attack

You yelled at Misha, Damn, now I wanna go back and see this. Anyways, I find it funny that in the Beginning of the game, the only main routes they show you are Lilly/Hanakos and Shizune. It seems like Emi's/Rin's route are all but afterthoughts.

You could say you bark like a dog

and well the other only choice would be like the 5 girls recieve you at the school gate and Kenji had an arrangement of sorts and you get to choose right from the get go who to sex up.

Just started act two of Lilly's route. :D I'm looking forward to this, though the combination of Lilly and Hanako again might be too much for my heart.

Soma

<3 Lilly. She's so great.

Speaking of her, I managed to find this at the store the other day: http://i.imgur.com/NwZf4.jpg

Out of all the weird habits I thought i'd get from this game I would have never expected that picking up tea drinking would be one of them. It's really quite relaxing and enjoyable.

So Akira
has a boyfriend? I was kind of hoping she was a lesbian. :3 Oh well, Misha fits my quota for there being at least one lesbian character in the game.
(Very minor Lilly route spoilers and major Shizune route spoilers.)
<3 Lilly. She's so great.

Speaking of her, I managed to find this at the store the other day: http://i.imgur.com/NwZf4.jpg

Out of all the weird habits I thought i'd get from this game I would have never expected that picking up tea drinking would be one of them. It's really quite relaxing and enjoyable.
I haven't had tea in quite a while, particularly good tea. I'm too lazy to be a tea or coffee type of person. :x

Tea is so great. I'm glad that the game has inspired people to take up little things to improve various aspects of their lives, whether that be taking up running or drinking tea.

As for me, I'll be off on Craigslists' classifieds to look for a gal to engage in anal with

:p

Jintor

Oh, I finished my Couch to 5K this morning. Gonna stick with the 30 min morning runs I think. They make me feel better. Might switch it up to interval training in a week though.

^But of course.

On a serious note, I need to get back into some kind of exercise regiment, all this GAFfing is making me lose muscle mass and I'm getting all stringy again :l

By the same token, I'm glad I at least have KS GAF, cause man... OT has been pretty garbage lately

Soma

Yeah I definitely need to get back into exercising as well. i've been doing nothing but making excuses all winter. i might give this a shot because why the hell not, right?

shame that I don't know anyone around here in my town who could do this with me. ah well.

tafer

Awesome, got into Lilly's route!
(After an accidental manly event on the way that I rather ignore)
Not before asking, Hisao actually falls from the place, right?

I've always had to lone wolf it as well, got weights and stuff around my room, and I mostly do calisthenics between the weights. At one point, I tried to do the 100 push up routine, where you train yourself to the point where you can ideally achieve 100 push ups in one rep. ( http://hundredpushups.com/ )The furthest I got was about... 60 diamond push ups in one go I think, which was pretty damn good, but the full 100 would have been balls bustingly bad ass. Still, I was in the best shape of my life then and felt pretty good, now it's like.. one step at a time lol

And lol at the couch to 5k. That damned lying hussy, I won't be able to visit her at Yamaku :/

Top Bottom