• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keighley: Epic says UE4 not targeted at Wii U on GTTV, Epic responds [Updated Again]

Busty

Banned
I know that there are Nintendo fans who will be devastated by this news but I have to ask what exactly where they expecting?

From day one Nintendo were clear about their intentions for the WiiU even if the specs for the machine were not.

But I think that there will be Nintendo fans who will continue to fight the 'good fight' well into E3.

Mark my words. The OT Arkham City WiiU thread will be THE place to be this E3. I have a feeling that is where the Nintendo fans will make their final stand on this Unreal vs. WiiU debate.

The Samaritan demo wasn't Unreal 4, but if the WiiU can get near that I'll be happy enough.

Prepare yourself for disappointment.

Whether it will be bitter disappointment or not I cannot say at this point.

mclem

Geoff basically answered the question posed and said "no" he cant talk about it. Topic title is such a twist.

In such a situation, the further (UE3) clarification would be unnecessary. It's technically possible you're correct, but only if Geoff is deliberately setting out to mislead. Which is pretty shitty practice.

mclem

M°°nblade;38294531 said:
Epic will probably optimize their UE3.9b or something for the WiiU hardware so I doubt it will bite them in the ass.

The only situation which would be troublesome for Epic is:
a. Wii U somehow becoming a relevant console for traditional core games sales making WiiU-PS4720 multiplatform releases a must
b. Other engine vendors somehow being able to provide scalable engines without sacrificing visuals on next-gen hardware.

Both are pretty unlikely though.

I'd suggest a c) - "third parties are more comfortable remaining on UE3 rather than pushing tech harder". I think that one's very plausible, and would put Epic in an interesting quandary. Particularly if at least one of Sony and Microsoft follow suit; do remember that MASSIVE POWER isn't actually a given for either of them, particularly Sony given their financial situation and the Vita's troubled beginnings.

Thrakier

I don't see how you could say Nintendo is "pulling another Wii" or "current gen tech".

Well, that's what I'm guessing. "Pulling another Wii" for me means, that the console will technically outdated when it comes to the market. For sure that's only the graphical processing power. Everything else may be potentially new or innovative or even "nextgen" in a certain way.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I know that there are Nintendo fans who will be devastated by this news but I have to ask what exactly where they expecting?

From day one Nintendo were clear about their intentions for the WiiU even if the specs for the machine were not.

But I think that there will be Nintendo fans who will continue to fight the 'good fight' well into E3.

Mark my words. The OT Arkham City WiiU thread will be THE place to be this E3. I have a feeling that is where the Nintendo fans will make their final stand on this Unreal vs. WiiU debate.

Are you a sort of insider? If yes, elaborate more about some points. Otherwise, you seem such a blatant troll.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Well, that's what I'm guessing. "Pulling another Wii" for me means, that the console will technically outdated when it comes to the market. For sure that's only the graphical processing power. Everything else may be potentially new or innovative or even "nextgen" in a certain way.

What do you consider up to date without going overboard? If the CPU/GPU/Ram combo costs ~$200, is that enough?

Haunted

Could always be continuing to use the stuff from now, or something else entirely rises to prominence. Like GameBryo.
Is that a threat? Are you threatening us?

:p

It's totally on Nintendo how much this will matter. In one year a competing platform will launch, and 1-2 years from now the first UE4 games will begin appearing. They have 1-2 years to make their platform irrefutably popular.
The Wii was irrefutably popular, crushing the other two platforms harder than anyone anticipated and it still wasn't enough.

Maybe the head start will help change things this time around, or maybe third party developers have already made up their mind. Pretty much all the market analyst reports I've read are telling the suits/decision makers at the big publishers that Nintendo is in trouble right now, it's tough to imagine them having a positive outlook on putting their biggest names and A-teams on the successor of the Wii instead of continuing their work with Epic and the successor to the most popular middleware solution of this generation.

Separate development due to a difference in power and/or architecture is the worst thing that can happen to the system that's not the #1 priority in multiplatform development.

Compared to what?

The agenda..

We go from WiiU being weaker than PS3 and Xbox360, now that we know WiiU can easily handle UE3, we get to WiiUbeing just a supped up Xbox360.

You guys seriously need to stop letting yourselves be trolled so easily.

WiiU can handle the featureset required for UE4. But of course once this is revealed people will act like it was always obvious... :|

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
it's tough to imagine them having a positive outlook on putting their biggest names and A-teams on the successor of the Wii and abandoning their contracts with Epic
They wouldn't have to abandon them as UE3 works, probably not with an official WiiU version but porting should be easy going by what the likes of Darksiders' devs have said and achieved in little time. And surely at least some of them have learnt a lesson from this gen (not to mention being enticed by Nintendo's ongoing efforts to gain their support, from the big publishers they've worked with to the free middleware for the smaller companies). Of course in the end that lack of support did cut the platform's life shorter than anyone would want, but I'm sure many of them can see the money they left on the table by deciding to focus on other things way too early and only based on previous generations. They're probably more inclined to wait and see outside moneyhat projects.

I doubt they're already lining up to invest billions in restructuring for top of the line UE4 focused development (if that would even be required this time, I don't think the process for UE4 will be that different to 3 and a souped up 3 game could probably look quite close to 4 for most people so they could well start with that and go from there - even if other platforms are far more capable that power could go to better rendering, effects, AO, AA, SS, fps, and look very shiny with next to no extra effort - kind of like some current PC ports, at least for the gen's start). It doesn't have to be like the UE2 situation all over again since that engine was, frankly, outdated for its time. Other engines pushed the use of pixel shaders and other tech far earlier, but UE2 somehow stubbornly refused to do any of that, instead focusing on polycounts and texture resolution, not even basics like dynamic lighting, and leaving the new technologies for the next iteration. Which worked out well for them that time, of course, but it's still true.

I think Nintendo are hoping that current third party developers will continue to make games for the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U for the next two or three years.

Beyond that (when the next generation arrives) I don't think they have a plan. I think they will be happy enough to have 'another overnight success' over a short period of time, with maximum profit.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Nintendo better hope Cryengine becomes the prevalent middleware of the next generation or the third party support from major publishers will be abysmal. Again.
I don't think it will be easy for Crytek to convince third-party publishers to choose their engine over the Unreal Engine 4. UE3 gained a lot of goodwill this gen, and it will take a monumental effort by Crytek to ensure that CryEgine 3 becomes the prevalent middleware next gen. The main priority for Nintendo should be to make sure that the Wii U has a sizable install base, as quickly as possible. It didn't work with the Wii because it wasn't even comparable to the PS360, but the Wii U shouldn't be a whole gen behind like the Wii was.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Hope maybe.

Just a thing. A port isn't going to show me in a debate like this. Nor is a company that despite their engine being on a nintendo platform 2 generations in a row, thank you ubisoft, can't be bothered to do something themselves. Nintendo could and it's amazing that yet again another fps company isn't dealing with platform that for first 3d generation was the shooter platform for fps games. Controls are better, the tech is better, and somehow I'm still wishing for something to beat turok 1&2 and goldeneye let alone perfect dark. The blame is on both ends and anyone disagreeing is full of shit considering sales of n64 fps titles compared even the next generation sales in these 4 extreme examples are damn good.

Epic and most companies are lying when they say they don't want a good mil or two. They aren't lying about the effort which really should be on nintendo's end. Yes if epic was a big company I'd hold them to the flame for making WiiU product but nintendo is like sony and they make design descisions that hurt them far more than it hurts ms.

Most people in older tech topics know I say it well. Lets see a company work the magic factor 5 did on a nintendo system or what capcom did on RE4 then lets talk. When they do that alone there will be no need for these debates. If they can't put that effort I say to them out of the interest of business stop wasting your time and mine. Graphics don't need to suck now especially now that WiiU's power is in age of graphics still developing. Maybe more tech heads here should talk about why DX10 and Dx11 are different especially in performance of certain features vs 8/9 based machine it would shut up a lot.

Ports suck despite the fact they are necessary evil. At least a tech demo is built for a system to certain degree to show off the system this is just like getting like something after getting to 5 dollar whore house late at night.

Haunted

They wouldn't have to abandon them as UE3 works on it. Though probably not with an official WiiU version porting should be easy for each of them going by what the likes of Darksiders' devs have said and achieved in little time. And surely at least some of them have learnt a lesson from not supporting Wii. Of course in the end that lack of support did kill the platform faster than Nintendo would have wanted, but I'm sure many of them can see the money they left on the table by deciding to focus on other things way too early based on previous generations.
I rewrote that sentence as it wasn't exactly clear what I meant the first time around.

The problem is that UE3 doesn't matter when UE4 is out, just as UE2 didn't matter when UE3 rolled around. If UE4 catches on, and with the way UE3 dominated the middleware landscape of this generation, this is the most likely scenario, Nintendo is shafted again. Having the most popular middleware not run on your console is a disaster for third parties and will lead to the same lack of support from the big teams you've seen last generation.

Busty

Banned
Are you a sort of insider?.

No. No. No.

Care to elaborate?

I have a feeling (and nothing more) that Arkham City may be "disproportionately featured" in Nintendo's conference.

The fact that Nintendo was announcing a third party at E3 2011 meant that the WiiU would be launching Arkham City would likely be a year old at that point.

To me that's just bizarre and I think that Nintendo may have people from Rocksteady on stage showing off some new 'feature'...., essentially demoing a game that's already a year old.

Also I don't think it will looks as good as the PS360 versions. But again that's just an opinion at this point.

If yes, elaborate more about some points. Otherwise, you seem such a blatant troll.

Whaaaaa? What was the 'troll' part of my post?

If you count him having his head rammed firmly up his own backside, then yes, he is an insider.

Yes. That counts.

*adjusts tie*

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Amazing.

First off, nowhere did I read that the WiiU *couldn't* run
Unreal Engine 4.

Second of all, this sort of thing would be heavily nda'd.

IMO, no need to panic. I think Nintendo has some very big
things planned.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I rewrote that sentence as it wasn't exactly clear what I meant the first time around.

The problem is that UE3 doesn't matter when UE4 is out, just as UE2 didn't matter when UE3 rolled around. If UE4 catches on, and with the way UE3 dominated the middleware landscape of this generation, this is the most likely scenario, Nintendo is shafted again. Having the most popular middleware not run on your console is a disaster for third parties and will lead to the same lack of support from the big teams you've seen last generation.

Yet if you look at a list of UE2 based games they still were coming out last gen just google the list.

Companies are stupid as crap these days. Leverage the console and make a steam version if you want real sales. UE is seen in tons of recent titles that are still being built for mid grade machines.

Donnie

The agenda..

We go from WiiU being weaker than PS3 and Xbox360, now that we know WiiU can easily handle UE3, we get to WiiUbeing just a supped up Xbox360.

You guys seriously need to stop letting yourselves be trolled so easily.

WiiU can handle the featureset required for UE4. But of course once this is revealed people will act like it was always obvious... :|

Yeah unfortunately its all too predictable on here. It'll either be "Its just an engine, WiiU was always going to support it but it can't run it high end so who cares" from the same people clamouring to proclaim that WiiU isn't "powerful" enough to run UE4. Or people will claim its not really UE4 because its "not the full version".

Haunted

I don't think it will be easy for Crytek to convince third-party publishers to choose their engine over the Unreal Engine 4. UE3 gained a lot of goodwill this gen, and it will take a monumental effort by Crytek to ensure that CryEgine 3 becomes the prevalent middleware next gen. The main priority for Nintendo should be to make sure that the Wii U has a sizable install base, as quickly as possible. It didn't work with the Wii because it wasn't even comparable to the PS360, but the Wii U shouldn't be a whole gen behind like the Wii was.
Hm... I guess the thing I always assume is that MS and Sony won't fuck up completely by skimping on power themselves and letting Wii U hover in a similar power range, enabling multiplatform development.

If Epic fails to convince MS/Sony to have that significant leap in prowess people expect, and if they have to scale down UE4 for consoles as a result (similar to how Crytek scaled down CryEngine to actually work on PS360 instead of PCs only), that might be Nintendo's way to get a piece of that multiplatform action.

Thrakier

Compared to what?

Compared to PS4/720/PC anyway. Compared to a machine that should be a upgrade to PS3/360. It will be ok for the first 2 yeas maybe and then it goes downhill just like the Wii when perception starts changing from "oh that looks like a very good looking PS3 game" to "man that last gen shit".

Compared to what?

PCs, and consoles released in late 2013/14.

By this logic, Scorpion and PS4 could well be outdated by their release too, compared to PCs, and the next Nintendo launching in 2016/17.

To say the next MS/Sony consoles will be more powerful and capable is obvious to me, and always has been... to say Wii-U is already outdated is a bit different. For the next 12-18 months or maybe even longer (barreing some sort of surprise), it'll be the best console (technologically) that you can buy.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Compared to PS4/720/PC anyway. Compared to a machine that should be a upgrade to PS3/360. It will be ok for the first 2 yeas maybe and then it goes downhill just like the Wii when perception starts changing from "oh that looks like a very good looking PS3 game" to "man that last gen shit".

As a pc gamer it's offensive you're lumping consoles in with pc when typically they are separated. Despite the fact they do share titles the difference in performance and modding options bar them from being compared. When your consoles don't limit my resolution, aa, af factors like they do now give me a call. They aren't comparable and the pc screen shot threads of high end rigs or even high end youtube movies should leave little doubt consoles are a clear step behind them.

BTW your 2 years was 4 years and in the those 4 years nintendo pulled a ps2/ds like level of sales. Yes they gassed out like someone in mma match but you're forgetting they ko'ed their competitors well before they could do anything to them.

Mlatador

Banned
To me it wasn't important that Wii didn't run UE3, that's why I just don't care if WiiU doesn't run UE4.

The obsession about visuals seems to be endless here at Gaf...

sajj316

Agreed. If UE4 becomes the middleware of choice, this effectively cuts out the possibility of Wii U ports. Case in point, how many UE3 games were ported to the Wii? Then again, 95% of the games I own on the Wii were first party. If this is Nintendo's desired results for the next generation, they've made all the right decisions.

Donnie

I have a feeling (and nothing more) that Arkham City may be "disproportionately featured" in Nintendo's conference.

The fact that Nintendo was announcing a third party at E3 2011 meant that the WiiU would be launching Arkham City would likely be a year old at that point.

To me that's just bizarre and I think that Nintendo may have people from Rocksteady on stage showing off some new 'feature'...., essentially demoing a game that's already a year old.

Also I don't think it will looks as good as the PS360 versions. But again that's just an opinion at this point.

Did I just read that right? Did you just say that you think the WiiU version of Arkham City will be worse visually than the PS3 or 360 versions?!

crazy.gif

Haunted

Yet if you look at a list of UE2 based games they still were coming out last gen just google the list.
I'm looking at the list on wikipedia right now and the post-2006 list is even worse than I thought. There are exactly four games of note running on UE2 I see from a glance. The two Bioshocks, SC: Conviction and Killing Floor. 4 notable games in 5 years.

UE3 had a similar number of games on that level out every month. Old middleware gets abandoned so quickly and completely in this business, it's kinda insane.

Although due to diminishing returns in visuals and all of them being HD consoles Wii U won't fare nearly as poorly as Wii did.

Haunted

Even if Arkham City looks better on Wii U and has some neat new features, most of us have already played the game, loved it, now we've moved on. This industry is moving so damn fast, no one really gives a toss about year-late ports. Mass Effect 2 on PS3 wasn't a big fucking deal, Arkham City (although they'll get more attention due to it being a launch title) won't be, either.

To me it wasn't important that Wii didn't run UE3, that's why I just don't care if WiiU doesn't run UE4.
Might not matter to you, will matter to third parties.

LM4sure

Banned

uhhh no. no way will you be able to look at a ps4 game and then say the wiiu game looks like shit. the ps4 game will obviously look better but it will not be the same leap as it was from the wii to the ps3. get real.

Thrakier

As a pc gamer it's offensive you're lumping consoles in with pc when typically they are separated. Despite the fact they do share titles the difference in performance and modding options bar them from being compared. When your consoles don't limit my resolution, aa, af factors like they do now give me a call. They aren't comparable and the pc screen shot threads of high end rigs or even high end youtube movies should leave little doubt consoles are a clear step behind them.

BTW your 2 years was 4 years and in the those 4 years nintendo pulled a ps2/ds like level of sales. Yes they gassed out like someone in mma match but you're forgetting they ko'ed their competitors well before they could do anything to them.

Several things:

- PC is way superior to consoles, I agree. Though it's still the same generation, in a way (exceot Witcher 2). That is mainly because of consoles limiting the PC, sure. But that's what we get currently.
- I was not talking about sales at all. I was talking about when my perception and I guess that of many other so called "hardcore" gamers changed. So I owned a Wii, but I didn't play it anymore because it seemd like such a outdated piece of tech. That took about 2 years.

bjb

Banned
No. No. No.

I will take your predictions and analysis into consideration, and will look forward eagerly to see you follow up with them in said thread.

Busty

Banned
Did I just read that right? Did you just say that you think the WiiU version of Arkham City will be worse visually than the PS3 or 360 versions?!

Yes. Yes I do.

I don't mean that it's going to look like a Mega Drive game next to the PS360 versions I just think that GAF will be awash with screenshot comparisons between the various versions and the WiiU port will be left wanting.

It may just be small things such as textures here and there or frame rates but I think the WiiU version will trail the other platforms. Whether it's the hardware or the fact the developers are working with the WiiU for the first time I cannot say.

Just my opinion. Based on nothing.

Amazing.

Unreal Engine 4.

things planned.

That's the spirit.

I will take your predictions and analysis into consideration, and will look forward eagerly to see you follow up with them in said thread.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

It's literally of no consequence to me either way. It seems to be getting you all worked up though.

Thrakier

uhhh no. no way will you be able to look at a ps4 game and then say the wiiu game looks like shit. the ps4 game will obviously look better but it will not be the same leap as it was from the wii to the ps3. get real.

I expect this scenario only when Sony/MS will go down the nintendo route and bring only slighty upgraded PS4/720 to the market. Other than that, the difference will be huge again for years to come.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm looking at the list on wikipedia right now and the post-2006 list is even worse than I thought. There are exactly four games of note running on UE2 I see from a glance. The two Bioshocks, SC: Conviction and Killing Floor. 4 notable games in 5 years.

UE3 had a similar number of games on that level out every month. Old middleware gets abandoned so quickly and completely in this business, it's kinda insane.
Old middleware is abadoned when it's needed to. UE2 was an awful engine as far as new features were concerned, even for its time. No pixel shaders, no good physics, no dynamic lighting, nothing that others had been doing for years. It worked for UT and that's about it, anyone who used it and wanted such functions had to create them from scratch, as seen in the likes of Splinter Cell games or with worse results in Deus Ex Invisible War and Thief 3. Coupled with the other improvements UE3 brought it's no wonder people abandoned it as soon as they possibly could. It was a beast with pushing high polycounts and texture resolution however, which worked well for them at time, but that's not the case at all with UE3 as even compared to DX11 features (some of which can be added anywhere with relatively little effort) it's not that far behind and still has many good features that more powerful systems could also improve on with better quality rendering, IQ, "free" effects like ambient occlusion, and better frame rates and resolution, enough for the games to look shiny enough. And even if UE4 does introduce amazing things that make the gap as large, nothing guarantees publishers this time are as eager to put all their eggs in that top tier graphics only basket after all the money lost this generation without waiting to actually see what happens outside any projects they happen to be paid for sufficiently beforehand.

Donnie

Looking at likely WiiU and PS4 secs at the moment the leap from WiiU to PS4 looks smaller than the leap from PS3 to WiiU. A leap that most people like to pretend will be unnoticeable to the human eye.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Of note, really..... because companies making mid grade pop crap need the high end especially with those b teams. With a line like that you make people forget about red steel 1&2.

These companies aren't putting any effort I'm just saying if you going that route why make it harder.

bjb

Banned
I don't mean that it's going to look like a Mega Drive game next to the PS360 versions I just think that GAF will be awash with screenshot comparisons between the various versions and the WiiU port will be left wanting.

Do you think there will be meltdowns over the graphical capability of WiiU?

Amazing.

Unreal Engine 4.

things planned.

Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking in the face of adversity.

Am I reading the right thing as everyone else or are you guys just reading the topic title and calling it a day?

Geoff basically answered the question posed and said "no" he cant talk about it. Topic title is such a twist.

He says that Epic said the Wii U is UE3. How you are getting 'he can't talk about that' I don't know.

E3 can't come soon enough to finally put to bed these threads, then we can focus on the goddman games!

Just to let you guys know, you'd be stupid to use UE3 on WiiU for anything besides porting current gen games.

Nintendo's own engine(Nintendoware) shits all over UE3. You'd be dumb to not use it over UE3 when making exclusive WiiU games.

Nintendoware is Nintendo's trump card in securing UE4 day1.

Miles X

Nintendo really are going down the middle of the road here, except casuals are not going to buy into this like they did the Wii, and the core will be sated with PS360 until their successors come out.

LCGeek

formerly sane
He says that Epic said the Wii U is UE3. How you are getting 'he can't talk about that' I don't know.

E3 can't come soon enough to finally put to bed these threads, then we can focus on the goddman games!

Gaf has taught you nothing these topics never end the bullshit just transforms and evolves.

Top Bottom