• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keighley: Konami lawyers holding Kojima hostage; audience loudly boos. Inconceivable.

Euron

I would not be surprised if Geoff Keighley is now blacklisted by Konami. I wouldn't expect to see any future nominations or involvement.
Going forward what games would he be able to nominate? Things for the Pachinko Category?

And I would normally say this is making Konami's shit reputation even worse but they're far past the point of caring.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of those situations where it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Keighley should have just had Kojima show up as a surprise for the award and that's it.

Kojima retweeting things confirming this makes me feel like I'm going to wake up tomorrow with pictures of Konami in flames and Kojima standing in front of an army of tanks.

But really, there's nothing we can do. We can scream and parade around all we want screaming "Fuck Konami!" but that company not only took his livelihood from him, they took him from the game industry. We're all powerless here, and that's the worst.

My heart goes out to him as always.

2015-12-0405_41_02-juovylo.png

That is seriously fucked up. Something you don't even intially think about.

Azzanadra

This situation has actually become pretty strange. "He's on vacation" sounds like the type of excuse an outwardly- happy and jolly person would say about their absent neighbor who was actually murdered/held hostage by said happy-looking person.

Ploid 3.0

It looks like Keighley set up a awesome situation where Kojima could meet the guy, and the work to align the stars fell apart because Konami threw a tantrum. Unforgivable Konami! The gamers never forget, look at how many people hate EA with a passion for the dev groups they destroyed, and Microsoft PC for their inaction.

schaft0620

I just don't buy the idea of there being no Kojima VS Konami "it's just Konami getting out of games." When one person is specifically blocked from representing their game.

If im wrong, Geoff should have no problem admitting he paid for that music performance Konami owns the rights to and getting Keifer to come rep the game on his own free will.

Kusagari

This is one of those situations where it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Keighley should have just had Kojima show up as a surprise for the award and that's it.

The contract is almost over, the last thing Kojima needs is Konami pursuing legal action against him.

And I fully believe they're petty enough to do it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
That is seriously fucked up. Something you don't even intially think about.

yeah thats fucked up bad if this is indeed the case. Dont worry though. There is clearly a whole lot of support here for Kojima to do what he pleases whenever he can escape konami

Garlador

I did love how they went out of their way to call Metal Gear Solid V a "Kojima Productions" game and not a "Konami" game.

his contract expires this month right?
i just want him to hurry up and leave and make something else because this is getting really sad and painful

No he's just retweeting the comment. On twitter If you say something and I retweet you. It broadcasts that to ALL my followers to see. If anything Kojima is confirming that Konami blocked him.
I think he's confused as to what is "Bullshit". The way it's worded he could either be saying that:

A) It's bullshit that he couldn't go.
B) The idea that he couldn't go because of Konami is bullshit.

It's probably the former, but the way it's worded kind of makes it confusing. When I read it the first time I thought he was saying that the excuse was bullshit and Kojima could have went if he wanted to.

It looks like Keighley set up a awesome situation where Kojima could meet the guy, and the work to align the stars fell apart because Konami threw a tantrum. Unforgivable Konami! The gamers never forget, look at how many people hate EA with a passion for the dev groups they destroyed, and Microsoft PC for their inaction.

If Gamers really "hated" EA then they would not allow record breaking sales for EA year after year. Look at EA's stock price after becoming the "most hated company in America."

This is such an unfortunate situation...by supporting Kojima and buying MGS5, we're also filling Konami's pockets and ensuring their operational survival.

Eidjinn

Going forward what games would he be able to nominate? Things for the Pachinko Category?

And I would normally say this is making Konami's shit reputation even worse but they're far past the point of caring.

Actually, they have Pro Evolution Soccer, and finally, after years, Konami received quite the praise for this year's version.

Too bad for the Pro Evo Team.

Kindekuma

Banned
That's such a disappointment, I really wish Kojima could've been there to accept both awards. He really tried to make the best game he could but Big Brother stepped in and said otherwise.

Geoff was genuinely upset with the outcome, you can tell. They have such a cool friendship between the two, and I respect that enormously. Good call on Geoff's part to call out Konami for explaining the lack of his presence.

Stefanie flying all the way out from Tokyo to sing in honor of him is a huge deal.

Hang in there Hideo!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
No thank you Kojima for this legacy that YOU created.

2015-12-0406_02_20-hiukxy4.png

BraXzy

Makes it so much worse with the tweet about Kojimas love for Star Wars. It really seems like it was all set up for Hideo with Geoff getting Mark Hamill involved and it fell apart thanks to FuckKonami.

Really hope the folks over at Lucasfilm catch wind of this, or Hamill goes and sees Kojima anyway :3

Makes it so much worse with the tweet about Kojimas love for Star Wars. It really seems like it was all set up for Hideo with Geoff getting Mark Hamill involved and it fell apart thanks to FuckKonami.

Really hope the folks over at Lucasfilm catch wind of this, or Hamill goes and sees Kojima anyway :3

That would be nice.

Top Bottom