• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keighley: Konami lawyers holding Kojima hostage; audience loudly boos. Inconceivable.

Guys, maybe he is just busy working really hard on that Chapter 3 patch.

Guys?

Guys.....?

let-it-go.gif

just let it go man

Konami is doing a piss poor figure although what they're doing is legit. They don't want an ex-employee to get the spotlight for them.
But they can't cancel he made the game and with Kojima's games they made a lot of money during all these years.

I don't think his contract is up yet, nontheless it still reeks of pettiness and myopia, I mean ffs his name is at the front of every damn mission in the game. Trying to bury his name is kinda dumb at this point. Just comes across as strong arm nonsense.

samar11

I don't think Konami gives a shit what we all think about them as mentioned before they are barely even in the video game industry.

nimbusstev

Neo Member
Fuck Konami.

Kojima doesn't deserve to be treated like this. What would appearing have actually cost them against refusing to let him appear?

Kojima and Kojima Productions will live on.

Exactly. Did they honestly think anything Kojima could have done at the awards show would have been worse than the PR storm they just brought upon themselves? Either they really want to screw Kojima over or they're just that stupid.

God knows that I love 8-to-32-bit-era Konami dearly, but man. This is pretty much the point where I don't even want to give the current Konami money by buying their classics on Virtual Console or PSN anymore. What a waste.

I hope that after Kojima's contract expires, he'll give us a full exposé.

I certainly noticed that he gave virtually no interviews to promote mgsv. Aside from a couple company-edited documentaries.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Wtf?! Is that real? Damn thats some shit right there.

Yes. Did you not play Ground Zeroes? I remember when the game first was out and we thought it was just a cool little thing in the game, a retracing of MG's history. But, then the Kojima-Konami name removing bs happened and we all remembered what we had to do in GZ.

I hope that after Kojima's contract expires, he'll give us a full exposé.

I certainly noticed that he gave virtually no interviews to promote mgsv. Aside from a couple company-edited documentaries.

Yeah! After March, when the release date was announced, he wasn't available for public commentary. God only knows how long this sad and petty behavior has gone on at Konami, but regardless of what horrible things they have done leading up to tonight, this is by far the pettiest of them all. They put up a blockade on Kojima like he infiltrated their FOB.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does Konami even have a console game coming?

Outside of doing PES on the Fox Engine (gotta get that money back from Kojima's investment in that!)... not really.

Which is probably why Geoff can't care about burning the bridge there by saying Kojima wasn't able to attend the awards due to Konami. What good will Konami blacklisting him from one sports title do?

Lelcar

I am hoping so hard for Konami to sell some of their IPs. The greatest villainy they could pull is to take their franchises to the grave with them.

Avalon304

2015-12-0405_41_02-juovylo.png

Just look at Kojima's twitter.

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo

So I know it would pretty much be impossible...

But if I were Geoff, and I knew how much of a fan of Star Wars Kojima was... Id be talking with Mark Hamill and then flying to Japan with Mark Hamill to deliver the awards in person. Like I said, thats probably impossible... but jesus...

Seriously... even before I knew how much of a fan of Star Wars Kojima was, Konami denying him the ability to go to the awards show to celebrate his awards with his peers and fans is bullshit... after knowing that, its childish bullshit...

KingJ2002

This is Geoff Keighley's sly way of confirming Kojima's status for the world to see.

shame... but we know that the rumor of his contract's end is at some time this month. The full truth as well as Kojima will come out then. In the mean time... Konami can continue to soak up these awards... might be the last they get of this caliber considering their move to fart apps on mobile.

Booki

I guess we won't be seeing Kojima at PSX then. #FuckKonami because I didn't think they could do anything more to hurt their image.

1425686336815.jpg

So I know it would pretty much be impossible...

But if I were Geoff, and I knew how much of a fan of Star Wars Kojima was... Id be talking with Mark Hamill and then flying to Japan with Mark Hamill to deliver the awards in person. Like I said, thats probably impossible... but jesus...

Mark Hamill probably has shit to do over the next month or so.

Krejlooc

Banned
With that bloodhound gang reference! Lol

Foxtrot, Uniform, Charlie, Kilo is actually a UN term that the Bloodhound Gang used for their song.

I guess we won't be seeing Kojima at PSX then. #FuckKonami because I didn't think they could do anything more to hurt their image.

1425686336815.jpg

Why is what looks like a 12 year old girl holding up a sign about needing sex and being fucked?

Reallink

Exactly. Did they honestly think anything Kojima could have done at the awards show would have been worse than the PR storm they just brought upon themselves? Either they really want to screw Kojima over or they're just that stupid.

Safe bet they thought the attendance ban would never be made public.

Trojan

Konami is going to troll hard until Kojima's contract is up, and at this point I think they're doing it just to piss people off.

This whole thing seems incredibly personal...someone in their leadership has put a bounty on his head and anyone aiding and abetting is going to get fired.

Nokterian

What a horrible move from konami. Biggest bunch of dicks i have ever seen also he is still under contract? I thought he already left.

emb

Nicely done Geoff!

Any company being this dumb definitely deserves to be named and shamed.

I'd consider boycotting Konami after all the Kojima plus Silent Hills stuff that went on earlier this year, but I honestly don't think they really make games for me anymore anyway. MGS being somewhat of an exception, of course.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'd say vote with our wallets and don't even bother buying anything Konami related, shit is just a stain seeing that logo on games.

If any of us think we're excited that Kojima's contract with Konami is up by year's end (and we do, because we are), just imagine how the man himself must be feeling. He has probably put so many concepts on hold due to them not fitting in with the style of Metal Gear that being able to create a brand new title will give him the feeling that his creative possibilities are limitless, thus allowing him to reach or even exceed what he believes he is truly capable of. Because, as great as the Metal Gear series is (and it is great), the man should not be limited to the confines of the stealth-action genre for the rest of his days. He has so much to offer, and I can't wait to see that manifest itself in the form of his next project, whatever that may be. Let's all continue lending him our support and, hopefully, give him enough to make this ugly break-up with Konami seem like a distant memory, in the very near future.

Does Konami even have a console game coming?

They really are making their way out of this business and don't give a single fuck about their reputation among the gaming community. They don't even care if they publicly look like villains. What a shit situation.

Can't wait for Kojima's contract to be over. I hope he'll then talk a bit about his last months/years at Konami...

Of course they do!

Pro Evolution Soccer 2017
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
Pro Evolution Soccer 2019
Pro Evolution Soccer 2020
Pro Evolution Soccer 2021
Pro Evolution Soccer 2022
Pro Evolution Soccer 2023
Pro Evolution Soccer Ad-nauseam

bndadm

This was a great move on Keighley's part to call them out on what is clearly something that has gone beyond a business disagreement (I mean it has to be, unless I'm that clueless about Japanese business politics).

We need some Woodward and Bernstein level "journalists" to go in and expose all this.

Top Bottom