• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom, Jun Takeuchi Takes Over [Update 2: Ono On Impact P#446]

Fersis said:
Ono tweeted that green lighting Fighting games will be harder now, Inafune understood fighting games... Takeuchi not so much.

This sucks.

People have been much to harsh on Inafune, he's responsible for some of the best decisions made by any company this generation for the hardcore crowd (Dead Rising, helping green-light SF4) and now you're left with the guy responsible for the 2 games you crucified Inafune for. Reap what you sow :lol

TheOGB

Banned
Fersis said:
Ono tweeted that green lighting Fighting games will be harder now, Inafune understood fighting games... Takeuchi not so much.

This sucks.
Aww shit

So much for Darkstalkers?

segarr

Inafune was a guy who understood Japan needs to improve and modernize their game development. Capcom might slip behind without him.

Curufinwe

segarr said:
Inafune was a guy who understood Japan needs to improve and modernize their game development. Capcom might slip behind without him.

Inafune was a westaboo. Example:

cvxfreak said:
For me personally, Inafune lost me at, "We were more successful with Biohazard/Resident Evil. We made the lead character American and he speaks English.

segarr

Curufinwe said:
Inafune was a westaboo.
That's why I liked him! He always talked to the western media. This Jun Takecuchi, I don't see much from him or of him. Keniji Inafune's face is practically burned into my mind because he was so visible.

Curufinwe

Miyamoto is the Westen press all the time without constantly saying how Japanese game makers suck, how all the best games & ideas comes from the West, how 5 million sales for a Mario game is terrible, etc.

Hellion

I'm trying really hard to care about this.

Didn't like DR2 And LP2 had major issues

But I guess all that's important is that he's happy.

Elios83

Inafune's story is pretty common in the industry, he climbed up the ladder, had his big chance, then he messed up and had to pay for it.
I respect him as a game creator but as a producer in my opinion he ruined the company with his approach to make games with the only goal to please americans.
After the whole strategy failed (see Bionic Commando, Dark Void and recently Lost Planet 2) of course he had to realize his failure.
In one sense it's ironic that he criticized Inaba and Clover so much because their games could only get critical acclaim but no commercial success for Capcom and he ended in this way.
Now the other big story here is that Capcom can only replace him with a mediocre game designer as Jun Takeuchi :lol :lol which pretty much means no talents left in the company ^_^''
Let's see what happens.......now if only Wada could resign as SE CEO just like Inafune did :D :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
[Nintex] said:
Ono tweeted about this already? He's probably the next to go and then Takeuchi can claim the throne of the sinking ship for his own.
Lots of people asking him about Inafune and his 'future big promotion'.
He said that theres no big promotion for him and that it will be harded to get fighting games approved from now on.

KAL2006

Banned
Fersis said:

This sucks.

Who is making MvC3, that guy seems to be doing a good job

anyway I guess Keiji can join Platinum Games, that coompany could end up becoming the new Capcom

kitzkozan

Elios83 said:
Inafune's story is pretty common in the industry, he climbed up the ladder, had his big chance, then he messed up and had to pay for it.
I respect him as a game creator but as a producer in my opinion he ruined the company with his approach to make games with the only goal to please americans.
After the whole strategy failed (see Bionic Commando, Dark Void and recently Lost Planet 2) of course he had to realize his failure.
In one sense it's ironic that he criticized Inaba and Clover so much because their games could only get critical acclaim but no commercial success for Capcom and he ended in this way.
Now the other big story here is that Capcom can only replace him with a mediocre game designer as Jun Takeuchi :lol :lol which pretty much means no talents left in the company ^_^''
Let's see what happens.......now if only Wada could resign as SE CEO just like Inafune did :D :D

You're a fool. :lol

He never was a game creator to begin with.

He didn't ruin the company in any shape or form,but had a couple of big bombs lately.Don't forget the many success he had also,including funding SF IV and MvC3 which will be a hit.His worst move might end up being the DmC reboot. :lol

Takeuchi stink,but let's see what he can do as a producer.

I really hope Wada resign sooner than later as SE is complete trash these days.What a joke this company has become over the years,just unbelievable.

Korigama

KAL2006 said:
anyway I guess Keiji can join Platinum Games, that coompany could end up becoming the new Capcom

But why would a developer composed of and headed by former members of Clover want him?

Cheerilee

Elios83 said:
I think I more see him as a man who climbed the ladder, and then asked his bosses "So does this mean I'm free to do things the way I want now?" And his bosses said "No. Just keep doing the things that win. Maybe we'll let you do what you want someday in the future if your wins are big enough." So he stayed at the top and delivered safe win after safe win as was expected of him. And he saw his contemporaries rise, insist on following their own hearts, and then fall, and he made no friends by meekly commenting to them "Well that's what you get for wanting things."

And then one day his not-personal plans for winning simply failed him, and he was shot down like all the others. It would've been nice if he had at least gone down fighting for something he believed in. But he's going to get the last laugh because in a tiny moment of defiance he managed to squeak Megaman Legends 3 out the door, beneath his bosses gaze, just before the very end.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Korigama said:
But why would a developer composed of and headed by former members of Clover want him?

People saying he's going to Platinum or Beth or wherever are delusional. Don't pay them anymind.

Hunahan

Banned
Fersis said:

This sucks.
I find this hard to believe.

Management will still talk in dollars, and the fighting game revival has been one of Capcom's biggest successes.

Whether Takeuchi understands fighting games or not, he'll recognize the revenue generated by MvC3 and the SFIV milk-a-thon easily.

sfried

ruby_onix said:
I think I more see him as a man who climbed the ladder, and then asked his bosses "So does this mean I'm free to do things the way I want now?" And his bosses said "No. Just keep doing the things that win. Maybe we'll let you do what you want someday in the future if your wins are big enough." So he stayed at the top and delivered safe win after safe win as was expected of him. And he saw his contemporaries rise, insist on following their own hearts, and then fall, and he made no friends by meekly commenting to them "Well that's what you get for wanting things."

And then one day his not-personal plans for winning simply failed him, and he was shot down like all the others. It would've been nice if he had at least gone down fighting for something he believed in. But he's going to get the last laugh because in a tiny moment of defiance he managed to squeak Megaman Legends 3 out the door, beneath his bosses gaze, just before the very end.
So, in the end, are you saying Inafune went on a break down and screamed "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOUUURRGH~!" and just quit whatever ambition he had within arms reach?

Inafune essentially danced on Clover's grave, if not outright putting them there.

The only way they'd take him (if he even wanted to go there) would be if he were really, really contrite and worked for cheap. Which doesn't really seem like Inafune.

I kind of wonder if he'll subsist on EA Partners-like stuff (maybe even THQ) for a while. It seems like it would fit his, uh, newfound development style.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Curufinwe said:
Miyamoto is the Westen press all the time without constantly saying how Japanese game makers suck, how all the best games & ideas comes from the West, how 5 million sales for a Mario game is terrible, etc.
Inafune's schtick is to get Japanese devs riled up and to work harder because they were so much slower on the uptake this gen. I'm almost reminded of reading/watching the Metroid Other M Iwata Asks about how the CG director would egg on his teams.

Lightning

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
Inafune's schtick is to get Japanese devs riled up and to work harder because they were so much slower on the uptake this gen. I'm almost reminded of reading/watching the Metroid Other M Iwata Asks about how the CG director would egg on his teams.
Kojima has bagged japenese devs as well this gen for falling behind so Inafune is not alone with that.

HYDE

Banned
ruby_onix said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshiki_Okamoto

"I hate Americans, I hate America, and I hate English. I also hate American food. That's how I feel about it." (When asked for his impressions of E3 in 2006)

"I hate Folklore, I hate Dark Mist, and I hate Majin and the Forsaken Kingom. I also hate Okamoto. That's how I feel about ignorant people." (When read about Yoshiki's comments about Americans at E3 2006)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
TheOGB said:
Aww shit

So much for Darkstalkers?

Darkstalkers was never, ever going to happen. Ever. Best Ono should have hoped for was a Darkstalkers Collection Online.

Steaks

Fersis said:

This sucks.
Haha wow. :lol

That might suck pretty hard.
Finaika said:
RIP Street Fighter.
Street Fighter 4 printed a lot of money for Capcom, I would just count out anything that isn't a numbered sequel at this point. Yes, there was potential for this too.

I just sort of feel angry about how Inafune outright lied to Legends fans by saying he would play a deep part in the production of the third game. He swore he was committed to make the game as good as possible now that it was finally greenlit. Uhg.

But I can at least forgive him in that his last major action was getting the dream team for Legends 3 assembled and approved production before he quit. It's such a rare thing, a blessing really. The timing of the announcement and his resigning were so close, the former may have never happened. Especially without him at the company.

HYDE said:
"I hate Folklore, I hate Dark Mist, and I hate Majin and the Forsaken Kingom. I also hate Okamoto. That's how I feel about ignorant people." (When read about Yoshiki's comments about Americans at E3 2006)
So, when an anon adds a controversial quote to Wikipedia without a source, that makes it true? :lol :lol :lol

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Prime Blue said:
Tokuro Fujiwara. Hiroki Kato. Hiroshi Shibata.

Noritaka Funamizu. Akira Nishitani. Akira Yasuda.

Wow, Capcom had been my favorite Japanese developer since freakin' birth. The first NES game I ever played was Trojan. Now, reflecting on everyone who left, I feel so hollow.

Aokage said:

Wow, Capcom had been my favorite Japanese developer since freakin' birth. The first NES game I ever played was Trojan. Now, reflecting on everyone who left, I feel so hollow.
Not to forget Masami Ueda.

I think at this point, it might actually be easier to list the people that actually stayed there...

farnham

Banned
Man this shocked me a lot and i didnt think a lot about it up until now.

I didnt like Inafune that much.

I loved most of the games he made including Onimusha (best capcom series of the PS2 days) and Megaman and ofcourse Dead Rising. But i also did not liked a lot of his comments he made. After I read his reasoning i really think he left capcom because he wanted to pursue his dreams to make games that he wants to make. It must have been hard as a creative person to be a administrator that has to shout at other creators to make stuff that sells or get out all the time. Its too bad that it is before finishing Megaman Legends 3 but still i can understand him.

I really wish him the best of luck when he gets ready to do a new gig.

ShockingAlberto said:
Inafune essentially danced on Clover's grave, if not outright putting them there.

The only way they'd take him (if he even wanted to go there) would be if he were really, really contrite and worked for cheap. Which doesn't really seem like Inafune.

I kind of wonder if he'll subsist on EA Partners-like stuff (maybe even THQ) for a while. It seems like it would fit his, uh, newfound development style.
As an administrator he did what he had to do

Clover made artsy games that sold nothing. It was a waste of company money to invest in them.

But this resignition also shows that maybe inafune wasnt so happy doing the job like some of us gaffers thought.

Anticitizen One said:
I just care about one thing are we still getting Resident Evil 6 with a new direction, moody atmosphere, and zombies?

we're completely fucked man

Mikami + Id Tech 5 survival horror future.

We have to believe.

Fersis said:

This sucks.
Fuck.

Oh well, it's not like Capcom is the only company making fighters these days.

Lard

Banned
I could either see Inafune starting his own studio and getting a publishing deal with a US company, since his cock is so hard for them or maybe going to work for Tokyo Vikings. He's the only place I could see him fitting in. He'll never work for Platinum, unless he's the janitor.

yurinka

Fersis said:

This sucks.
Ouch
Finaika said:
RIP Street Fighter.
Nope. Street Fighter proved it's still profitable and they can continue milking it because it sold a lot. Same goes for the Marvel vs Capcom IP. Or Street Fighter x Tekken, because it will sell a lot.

But I would say RIP Darkstalkers, Power Stone, Rival Schools if they weren't still dead (Ono said Inafune didn't want a new Darkstalkers).

Aokage said:

And Okamoto, Inaba, Kamiya, Bengus/CRMK, and I even would include here Sawaki Takeyasu ...
KAL2006 said:
Well, Capcom made the Clover studio to create new IPs without being so stressed about sales. And well, as I remember Clover was closed more or less when he reached his current work. If it's the case, they will have a bad relationship.

Heads at Platinum have a great ego and want to have full control of their games. Same happens at Tango or Tokio Vikings. Inafune wants the same. So he won't join them, at least not unless they give him a team to do whatever he wants.

Unless he got a really big deal (like in EA partners, with total freedom but not EA partners), I think he will create a new Japanese development studio and will try to publish his games, co-developing them with western developers.

Top Bottom