• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Tenck

I have heard people's mics when I play online, does Kinect pick up my voice automatically and send it to them or would I have to have my headset connected for that?

I'd be careful of having kinect pick up your voice. Should be an option to mute your mic and kinect.

Friend of mine was talking about how he was watching a stream, and a kid didn't know he was being heard, and was talking so much shit without realizing it.

He got destroyed.

Kalm

Need my fighting stick before I play KI.

LIKE NOW!!!

This.

I hope they get the sticks out asap; mine was charged on Thursday but didn't ship...

Tried screwing around with Dojo mode to get a feel for the pad -- got stuck for 5 mins on the reaction blocking bit. It's like the third excercise.

Embarrassing. Much shame :\

SegaShack

I'd be careful of having kinect pick up your voice. Should be an option to mute your mic and kinect.

Friend of mine was talking about how he was watching a stream, and a kid didn't know he was being heard, and was talking so much shit without realizing it.

He got destroyed.

Oh wow I had no idea Kinect was streaming my voice through the matches the whole time, I'll make sure to have that setting turned off.

remz

The dpad is waaaaaay better than the 360s. I like the tactile clickyness of it, and although yeah it seems to be causing some serious blister it's way more precise than that clumsy piece of shit on the old controller.

Worst than 360? LOL.

Im sorry if you think/feel that way, but this d-pad shits on the 360 d-pad from a mile high plane.

If you guys ever see my combo's in this game, you would think I am using a fight stick.
Yeah I can't do this shit. I can't roll my thumb. If it doesn't click both down and either left or right on the pad, then you can't get diagonals. Maybe it's my controller...I'll try my brothers tomorrow. But yeah at the moment I am not feeling it

btags

This game is so amazing. I got my ass kicked quite a bit tonight while playing online, but I did manage to win two matches. Can't wait to sink more time into this game and learn how to use the other characters.

bs000

Just got my code in the e-mail and can't wait to play. Gamestop didn't ship my One until the day before release. Gamestop, why. ;-;

Is it possible to upgrade from Combo Breaker pack to Ultra Edition?

remz

I tried to play this but the tutorials make no sense to me. Why can't other fighting games make sense like Smash Bros.?

This reads like clear bait but if you read the tutorial text almost everything is explained in pretty clear, plain english. So I'm not sure what your problem is.

Bronzie

Neo Member
i am loving this game- i feel bad being only able to basically rush people down with Sabrewulf and do nothing else though.

elektrixx

Banned
This reads like clear bait but if you read the tutorial text almost everything is explained in pretty clear, plain english.

I've already talked about this in another thread, but pictures of fists and feet is not clear or plain English. I thought I could follow the colours of the images but one of the red ones is RB or something. I gave up after the third tutorial.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I've already talked about this in another thread, but pictures of fists and feet is not clear or plain English. I thought I could follow the colours of the images but one of the red ones is RB or something. I gave up after the third tutorial.

I can see how it might be confusing if you're not familiar with fighting games. Its best to think of the buttons as rows, much like how an arcade stick is. Top row is punch(X, Y, RB) bottom row is kick(A, B, RT). They go in order from light, medium and heavy. The in game colors are easy to follow when you get the hang of it. Blue is light, orange is medium and red is heavy.

If you progress even further in the tutorial you'll learn so much. I've just got a few more lessons left and the amount of stuff covered is insane. Frame traps, frame dara, hit boxes and on. It's bananas.

nbraun80

Just do what I did, you can map all the controls to any button you want so if you want all the punches as the face buttons and kicks as triggers and bumpers you can.

KI is just making me hate not having a stick. I just can't do multi button presses (2 punch/kick) shadow moves consistently and trying to push triggers for heavies frustrated me all the way back to my SF2 days on my SNES. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. I know I'd personally be having a lot more fun with a stick...but at $200...

Even a fightpad would be better for me.

-PXG-

The fact that my 360 TE stick doesn't work with this game is sooooooooo depressing. I can't stand using a controller. I'm getting by though.

I'm not buying a 200 fucking dollar stick for one (maybe more?) game

The fact that my 360 TE stick doesn't work with this game is sooooooooo depressing. I can't stand using a controller. I'm getting by though.

I'm not buying a 200 fucking dollar stick for one (maybe more?) game

Maybe Qanba will release a ps4/xbone dual mod. Or maybe a converter will come out. I'm waiting for either of those. I'm sad that I can't use my Qanba though.

I have to say, I downloaded this expecting it to be a game that a newbie could easily get into, not the case. The timing windows are SMALL. And playing with the Xbox One controller (new D-pad or not) is just not fun.

The especially bad thing is the bumpers on the Xbox One controller. They have little to no movement and are too clicky. On top of that the triggers only seem to register when pressed fully down on the Xbox One controller. So one of the moves that requires both buttons at once can be quite an issue.

As someone who used to tear it up with ease at Mortal Kombat using only a d-pad, I have to say the only way I'd be able to play this is with a fight stick. The d-pad still isn't good enough on the Xbox One and using the stick just doesn't do it for me either.

Darn it.

elektrixx

Banned
I can see how it might be confusing if you're not familiar with fighting games. Its best to think of the buttons as rows, much like how an arcade stick is. Top row is punch(X, Y, RB) bottom row is kick(A, B, RT). They go in order from light, medium and heavy. The in game colors are easy to follow when you get the hang of it. Blue is light, orange is medium and red is heavy.

If you progress even further in the tutorial you'll learn so much. I've just got a few more lessons left and the amount of stuff covered is insane. Frame traps, frame dara, hit boxes and on. It's bananas.

Thank you. I'll give it another go later tonight.

RyudBoy

I am struggling to play this with a controller. The Dpad feels like shit and it should be raised up higher. The bumpers are freaking terrible. I thought people were over exaggerating but nope, they're really that bad.

T.O.P

Banned
This might be the first fighting game in history that i'll play with the analog stick lol

Not feeling the Dpad at all for this, but i'm really confortable with the analog, wich is weird as fuck

Until the arcade stick gets delivered anyway

LTWheels

Been playing as Thunder. Keep mixing up his command throw and triple axe. I feel like his command throw should be qcf and the triple axe should be qcb, rather than the other away around.

Jarlaxle

I watched every video on this game before it came out. I understand the mechanics clearly. I get that controller in my hands though and all of a sudden I'm button mashing like crazy. Disappointed with myself. I hope at some point I get better but do not have high hopes. If anyone wants some easy victories, my GT is the same as my username.

JaggedSac

Ok, need some help here folks. What should I do when someone is in my face the whole time on the attack. I can't seem to block anything or get any attacks in. I try breakers and get locked out. What is a good strategy to force them to back off. I am decent at doing combos with linkers and enders and stuff, but I just get into scenarios where they are just constantly beating my ass, lol.

remz

Ok, need some help here folks. What should I do when someone is in my face the whole time on the attack. I can't seem to block anything or get any attacks in. I try breakers and get locked out. What is a good strategy to force them to back off. I am decent at doing combos with linkers and enders and stuff, but I just get into scenarios where they are just constantly beating my ass, lol.

Just wait for a good opportunity to break a heavy/medium and make sure you spot it before you do. Don't, whatever you do just spam the combo breaker and hope you get it right, getting locked out basically just gives the other person a ludicrous amount of damage for free.

and I guess, practice blocking and defending so you don't get caught up in those kind of combos to begin with

JaggedSac

That makes sense, there's not a chance of me memorizing auto doubles though. I guess I have to work on my blocking and being patient. Thanks.

bumpkin

Played a bunch last night after getting my XB1 setup and the update installed… Absolutely loving it! I take back nearly everything bad I've ever said about Double Helix Games (which was basically just that Silent Hill Homecoming was trash). They've done good here. Really good.

I spent a majority of my time in Dojo mode -- need to get my Killer Groove back -- and I've found myself stuck on a few trials. The main one that's tripping me up involves manuals; I just don't understand their timing and methodology. Can you only use a manual of a specific strength after a certain attack (of a specific strength)? Also, anyone got any tips for pulling off Jago's Tiger Fury (dragon punch)? I'm telling my thumbs what to do and it seems like the d-pad is saying hell no most of the time. :(

…and I really wish my 360 TE Stick worked on this game. I'm in the same boat as others as far as disdain over the idea of buying a brand new $200 stick.

Total aside, but are the game's achievements only active/unlockable after you've bought one of the paid editions of the game? I've done plenty of stuff the game has listed under it's 'chievos, and none of them have triggered.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I have to say, I downloaded this expecting it to be a game that a newbie could easily get into, not the case. The timing windows are SMALL. And playing with the Xbox One controller (new D-pad or not) is just not fun.

The especially bad thing is the bumpers on the Xbox One controller. They have little to no movement and are too clicky. On top of that the triggers only seem to register when pressed fully down on the Xbox One controller. So one of the moves that requires both buttons at once can be quite an issue.

As someone who used to tear it up with ease at Mortal Kombat using only a d-pad, I have to say the only way I'd be able to play this is with a fight stick. The d-pad still isn't good enough on the Xbox One and using the stick just doesn't do it for me either.

Darn it.
I'm actually surprised you feel this way, because the frame buffer for an auto double after an opener or a linker is enormous. It feels like it's about 10 frames, which is far more generous than any other 2D fighter on the market. By comparison, BB's frame buffer is 3 frames. The timing is very forgiving.

derFeef

After switching from Glacius to Sabrewulf I am doing much better in Survival, maybe I feel comfy going online soon.
Still missing lot's of enders. I think I don't get the timing done of when to follow up with an auto-double.

Top Bottom