• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - Helghan TRAILER (Must See)

Ploid 3.0

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I'm pretty worried about the Helghast's glowing eyes in Multiplayer. Seems like a huge disadvantage. Much easier to see and it naturally makes even noobs want to aim at your head :lol

Specta have blue lights. I like the lights. Trust me it's good. There are random red and blue areas of maps that make you second guess if it's a enemy or friend. It plays with your mind, but the lights on the actual people confirms you that you have a target.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Specta have blue lights. I like the lights. Trust me it's good. There are random red and blue areas of maps that make you second guess if it's a enemy or friend. It plays with your mind, but the lights on the actual people confirms you that you have a target.

Are they in the middle of their face? And as audaciously bright?

Anyway, it's just something I wonder about. Will kill for beta!

Does anyone know if the amazing ember particle effects from gernades are still in the game? If you watch the origonal trailer, when they throw gernades, burning embers dance around the sky.

Ploid 3.0

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Are they in the middle of their face? And as audaciously bright?

Anyway, it's just something I wonder about. Will kill for beta!

On their shoulder I think, and yea, it stands out. Think about team tag over someone's head in some game, or team color of armor. That's how I see it. I'd be shooting at some of my team without the color light. The different classes can look foreign afar off. Without the light there would be a lot of team fire. The turrets also have the team lights. It's needed I think, it sure helps me like I said.

Ploid 3.0 said:
On their shoulder I think, and yea, it stands out. Think about team tag over someone's head in some game, or team color of armor. That's how I see it. I'd be shooting at some of my team without the color light. The different classes can look foreign afar off. Without the light there would be a lot of team fire. The turrets also have the team lights. It's needed I think, it sure helps me like I said.

I don't really mind the idea. I like how it is done in R2 for example. I guess my real beef, since they both have lights, is that for the Helghast (who I'd prefer to play as [not sure if you get a choice or how it works]), the lights are in the middle of their freaking head. Good players will shoot for the head anyway, but I don't think people need such a blatant reminder :p I'd imagine it makes targeting the head easier as well, but I couldn't say from experience.

Raistlin

Darkpen said:
problem is, that's a huge investment, money-wise, and if the game tanks, there goes the money

Exactly.

Sony is in a position that they have so many dev houses, the investment makes sense. Experience, tools, libraries, etc. R&D'd from this expenditure will get use in literally dozens of games over the years.

Most companies simply aren’t large enough to have that expectation, nor are they focused on one console. Nor do companies have a reason to put that kind of cash up front in the hopes of making a ‘system seller’

AndyD

aka andydumi
Onix said:
Exactly.

Sony is in a position that they have so many dev houses, the investment makes sense. Experience, tools, libraries, etc. R&D'd from this expenditure will get use in literally dozens of games over the years.

Most companies simply aren’t large enough to have that expectation, nor are they focused on one console. Nor do companies have a reason to put that kind of cash up front in the hopes of making a ‘system seller’

Exactly. I dont expect EA to fund something like Killzone 2 in terms of time and budget freedom. Only the three console houses can take this kind of risk and I am happy when they do, even if it sometimes fails.

DeadGzuz

Banned
DemonCleaner said:
if thats the helghan home planet why the heck do they wear masks?

The devs pointed this out a long time ago, I think they just went with it for artistic reasons.

Actually aren't the Helgahst humans which left Earth?

Forsete said:
Having played the beta I would say the exact same. This game at times looks like a CG movie. The IQ is the best I've ever seen.
IIRC it uses 2xAA, which is impressive considering the other things the graphics engine is doing. Some last gen looking games could not even apply AA even with a sub-HD resolution (The Darkness) on the PS3. :lol

This game is so far ahead compared to other games its truly universe shattering. Bow to GG.
4xAA

Private Hoffman said:
KZ2's look obviously is about resources and talent; like any other game out there.

KZ2's budget is nothing out of the ordinary, and around what you'd find for similar blockbuster titles that take years and years of development (Halo 3, MGS4, less than GTA4, etc). KZ2 basically shows the progress of PS3 development now that developers are getting used to the system and tools.

Give credit where credit is do. They're doing things with the PS3 that are truly showing its muscle thanks to their highly efficient use of the CELL processor, which is responsible for its distinct look and all of the processing effects in the game.

We've seen hints of it before with Uncharted 2, and now a year later we're seeing Killzone 2.

Can't imagine what Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 look like.
I'm beginning to think it will look VERY close to the trailer. The water is obviously impossible, as is the close-up on Kratos' eyes , but everything else seems feasible. Even that scene looking out over the cliff, as the region in the far distance looked 2D.

Uncharted, of course, will look absolutely spectacular as well, but it won't benefit from a fixed camera like God of War.

Cruzader

Banned
Guys dont worry about the Helghast's red eyes on Multi. When you're playing, you're never looking for red googles only for moving ppls with red names over their body. That means they are the bad guys.

ianp622

Enojado said:
SP footage

Some SP campaign footage from the Eurogamer expo. Same level as we've previously seen. Didn't see the link posted. Sorry if it has been.

The guy playing sucks. I mean, he should've known that it's nearly impossible to grenade people above you when there's no wall, but he missed anyway and hit the wall. Then he ignores,
"Get the rocket launcher Sev!"
"Pick up the rocket launcher Sev!"
"The rocket launcher, over there, Sev!"
"There's the rocket launcher Sev, take down the bridge!"

I'm surprised they recorded that many versions of the same thing.

Durante

makingmusic476 said:
Unless something changed recently, it uses neither 2xAA nor 4xAA, but Quincunx AA. The motion blur and other postprocessing, as well as the rather cool anti-shadow-shimmering algorithm also contribute to the amazing image quality.

I think it's really awesome to see a "graphical showpiece" game that takes image quality seriously. A lot of (even highly acclaimed) HD games are really rather disappointing on that front, especially compared to what I expected before the start of this generation. (MS mandates 4xAA@720p lolz)

Image quality!

Cruzader

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
FUCK L3 TO SPRINT ....FUUUUCK IT!!!!

..I'm so sick of devs thinking, "Hey lets copy the COD4 control scheme...the kids love it!"
For the love of all that is holy, at least give us the option to customize *bows to Insomniac*

LOL didnt the 1st KZ use L3 to sprint too? ppls better get their shit straight.

KZObsessed

ianp622 said:
The guy playing sucks. I mean, he should've known that it's nearly impossible to grenade people above you when there's no wall, but he missed anyway and hit the wall. Then he ignores,

He really sucked at the beginning. I think he was just trying out the controls, hence the humourous grenade throw :lol

He improves a LOT tho after that. Keep watching. He actually gets pretty good.

And holy shit watch the helghast go FLYING at 6:10 after a grenade hit him. Looks sooo good.

edit: someone needs to gif that bit if possible. So awesome :lol

WinFonda

n1n9tean said:
That's pretty kickass. I don't remember that. Love the story. This could actually be an epic move franchise of some studio handled it with care.
The plot of James Cameron's Avatar is similar to Killzone's.

J2d

Enojado said:
Some SP campaign footage from the Eurogamer expo. Same level as we've previously seen. Didn't see the link posted. Sorry if it has been.
Does the game show your life as a blood splatter circle now instead of going b&w? Maybe I'm just imagining. The ISA cruisers have changed though.

BeeDog

Enojado said:
SP footage

I'm not in the beta so can't comment on how it looks IRL, but based on that video the textures seem much improved from older builds/videos. Or maybe it's the bad cap that's playing tricks.

Durante said:
Unless something changed recently, it uses neither 2xAA nor 4xAA, but Quincunx AA. The motion blur and other postprocessing, as well as the rather cool anti-shadow-shimmering algorithm also contribute to the amazing image quality.

Source? There were documents from Guerrilla last year that stated they were using 4x MSAA.

Enojado

BeeDog said:
I'm not in the beta so can't comment on how it looks IRL, but based on that video the textures seem much improved from older builds/videos. Or maybe it's the bad cap that's playing tricks.

You know, I was just about to make the same comment. Even though it is off screen and heavily compressed I think the texture work still comes through. I was really impressed with the textures of the metal sides of the elevator when Sev gets inside it.

IDK if it's the same code as before, but it seems the AI is a bit more aggressive and more proactive in taking cover, etc. Could be seeing things. Either way I still get a kick out of how frantic that level feels. Can't wait to hear it cranked on my surround sound system.

DSc

FFObsessed said:
He really sucked at the beginning. I think he was just trying out the controls, hence the humourous grenade throw :lol

He improves a LOT tho after that. Keep watching. He actually gets pretty good.

And holy shit watch the helghast go FLYING at 6:10 after a grenade hit him. Looks sooo good.

edit: someone needs to gif that bit if possible. So awesome :lol

The guy playing is me! :lol

You're right though, I was just trying out the controls and assumed that L1 would be iron sights. Little did I know it was to throw a grenade, hence my "Woah, woah, woah!" at the same time. :lol

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
D+PAD Ed said:

You're right though, I was just trying out the controls and assumed that L1 would be iron sights. Little did I know it was to throw a grenade, hence my "Woah, woah, woah!" at the same time. :lol
How did running with L3 feel?

StuBurns

Banned
D+PAD Ed said:

L1 was grenade? Did you change the controls? R2 was grenade both times I played it there.

Does anyone have all the control schemes?

DSc

stuburns said:
L1 was grenade? Did you change the controls? R2 was grenade both times I played it there.

You might be right actually. I just remember trying all the buttons desperately searching for the aim button!

Running with L3 seemed perfectly fine actually, just like CoD...

KZObsessed

D+PAD Ed said:

ha! Well it was excellent footage in the end anyway. :D

The Helghast catching fire at 7 mins on "part 2" was awesome.

Enojado

D+PAD Ed said:

:lol :lol Don't worry. I know I've done that same exact thing with a grenade a time or two.

Any other impressions you'd like to share with us? Thoughts on AI, animation, aiming sensitivity, textures, etc?

thuway

Private Hoffman said:
KZ2's look obviously is about resources and talent; like any other game out there.

KZ2's budget is nothing out of the ordinary, and around what you'd find for similar blockbuster titles that take years and years of development (Halo 3, MGS4, less than GTA4, etc). KZ2 basically shows the progress of PS3 development now that developers are getting used to the system and tools.

Give credit where credit is do. They're doing things with the PS3 that are truly showing its muscle thanks to their highly efficient use of the CELL processor, which is responsible for its distinct look and all of the processing effects in the game.

We've seen hints of it before with Uncharted 2, and now a year later we're seeing Killzone 2.

Can't imagine what Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 look like.

Hopefully with the shared assets, libraries, and engines- we can see similar boosts in fidelity as we move forward.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
ianp622 said:

Its like that with Dead Space, was playing it while my brother was sitting there, hes like

"How many fucking times do they want to tell you the same friggen thing"

DSc

Enojado said:
Any other impressions you'd like to share with us? Thoughts on AI, animation, aiming sensitivity, textures, etc?

All very, very impressive. It's easily the greatest looking console game out there. As you can you see in the videos, the animations and textures etc are spot on. The bit where the bridge is blown up a couple of minutes into the first video, and the craft flies in and the dust swirls into the air is one of those moments where your jaw just hits the ground. I don't often get excited by a game's graphics these days, but Killzone really is something else.

Aiming sensitivity seemed near perfect, and considering how awkward I usually find playing FPSs with the DS3's sticks, that's quite a feat.

As odd as it sounds following the last one, I think Guerilla may really be on to something here. If it can keep it up, Killzone may very well raise the bar for console shooters.

Wollan

Memphis Reigns said:
I am absolutely not trying to start a console war or anything like that, but...
We all know that without all the personnel and monetary investments put into Killzone 2, it would not look as beautiful as it does now.
Really? I'm surprised KZ2 isn't building itself.
In any case, the method KZ2 is using is probably close to impossible to replicate with the competiton as they're using about 4 SPU's for graphics work in addition to the GPU. The level of graphics seen here will obviously be seen again as this game releases on the two year mark of the console (and Sony owning a large range of studios).

androvsky

Wollan said:
Really? I'm surprised KZ2 isn't building itself.
In any case, the method KZ2 is using is probably close to impossible to replicate with the competiton as they're using about 4 SPU's for graphics work in addition to the GPU. The level of graphics seen here will obviously be seen again as this game releases on the two year mark of the console (and Sony owning a large range of studios).

I recall reading in an Uncharted postmortem that they used a couple minor tricks from Killzone 2, at least the anti-shadow-shimmering trick (which is my biggest pet peeve this gen) and possibly something else.

I'm sure some studios will continue working on their own engines, but it'll be so tempting for Sony studios to just use the Killzone 2 engine for similar projects. And if not the full engine, I'm sure large chunks of code will be floating around. After all, Naughty Dog had to write everything from scratch for Uncharted (and it still looked awesome!) just so they could share code with other Sony devs.

So I fully expect Uncharted 2 (and hopefully God of War 3) to benefit mightily from what Killzone 2 is doing... could be very interesting.

EDIT: And deferred rendering is possible on the competition, it just wouldn't show much improved results over normal rendering, there's just not enough spare CPU power there to make a noticeable difference.

ianp622

D+PAD Ed said:

Lol, sorry I insulted you. Although you did get to play it, so I don't feel too bad.

Memphis Reigns said:
I am absolutely not trying to start a console war or anything like that, but...

We all know that without all the personnel and monetary investments put into Killzone 2, it would not look as beautiful as it does now. I am not saying Guerrilla are bad developers, they clearly are incredibly talented, given the right resources and time (they are taking their sweet precious time on this game). But I do hope this starts a trend and that publishers of both HD systems start giving more of their titles this kind of attention, money, and time so that we can see more games on this level, cuz this shit is for real.

I don't understand why people think you can simply dump money into a project and make it look amazing. Look at how much money went into Daikatana. You actually need to hire really good programmers who don't cry when they program for the PS3. You also need to hire really good artists and effects people.

Seriously, it seems like sometimes people forget that games are made by people.

WinFonda

androvsky said:
I'm sure some studios will continue working on their own engines, but it'll be so tempting for Sony studios to just use the Killzone 2 engine for similar projects. And if not the full engine, I'm sure large chunks of code will be floating around. After all, Naughty Dog had to write everything from scratch for Uncharted (and it still looked awesome!) just so they could share code with other Sony devs.

So I fully expect Uncharted 2 (and hopefully God of War 3) to benefit mightily from what Killzone 2 is doing... could be very interesting.

Guerilla has said that they shared some info and took some tips from the God of War team, so I'd expect some awesomeness on that front. It's pretty cool to think these already savvy guys are doing a little mutual backscratching. Should produce some amazing stuff.

StuBurns

Banned
ianp622, But KZ2 is years ahead of anything on consoles.

Are you suggesting it's because GG are a better studio than any other?
It's clearly a happy medium, it's a great team, with strong financial and resources backing.

Raist

Banned
ianp622 said:
I don't understand why people think you can simply dump money into a project and make it look amazing. Look at how much money went into Daikatana.

*cough*Lair*cough*

Top Bottom