• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - Helghan TRAILER (Must See)

Ploid 3.0

deejay8595 said:
WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean wtf.....Graphics are fucking crisp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like my thoughts when I first played KZ2 in the comforts of my home. But I said it a lot. Mostly in my mind. No jaggies, awesome image quality, amazing texture work (for example the mud and water picture) everything just look flaweless.

ZeroTolerance

Schrade said:
Yes, the torrent is the same. And since it's a few pages back, here's my repeat:

BitTorrent for 720p MP4 here: http://www.btghost.com/link/18897863/

Speeds should be REALLY good right now. Lots of seeders.

And for people trying to play mp4s using QuickTime, please don't. QuickTime for Windows is a massively slow hunk of chunky peanut ridden shit. Do not use it.

Use Media Player Classic Home Cinema instead:

x86 Version: http://www.xvidvideo.ru/content/category/1/1/2/
x64 Version: http://www.xvidvideo.ru/content/category/1/2/3/

Or, if you want to use your choice of a DirectShow compatible video player, install CoreAVC, the fastest software h.264 decoder out there (usually beats hardware decoders by a lot):

http://finalbuilds.edskes.net/coreavc.htm

Hey, i've installed the X64 version but nothing shows up except the sound when i try to play it, can you recommend me a codec pack ?

e: nvm, i figured it out.

StuBurns

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
No jaggies
Why is this by the way? I've never seen anything that looks this smooth (smooth as in no jaggies), it's literally like a CG movie.

As for the various visual aspects, it's the effects that blew me away the most, the smoke, the fire trails behind rockets, normal fire effects. It's just unbelievable.

Onix said:
There's a reason why KZ2 has the budget it has, and why GG is not the only studio working on this title. To Sony, its an investment. The tools, libraries, etc. from this title will pay for itself over the next several years.
God I hope this engine is used for a lot more ps3 exclusives.

Same goes for whatever engine Wipeout HD is using I just got that game the other day and wow does it look amazing plus it sounds amazing too.

StuBurns

Banned
InterMoniker said:
God I hope this engine is used for a lot more ps3 exclusives.

Same goes for whatever engine Wipeout HD is using I just got that game the other day and wow does it look amazing plus it sounds amazing too.
Wipeout is on the Motorstorm engine.

Forsete

stuburns said:
Why is this by the way? I've never seen anything that looks this smooth, it's literally like a CG movie.

Having played the beta I would say the exact same. This game at times looks like a CG movie. The IQ is the best I've ever seen.
IIRC it uses 2xAA, which is impressive considering the other things the graphics engine is doing. Some last gen looking games could not even apply AA even with a sub-HD resolution (The Darkness) on the PS3. :lol

This game is so far ahead compared to other games its truly universe shattering. Bow to GG.

StuBurns

Banned
The movement of the guns with the motion blur and things are also a big influence on why it looks so amazing, I'd never seen anything like it. It's a big immersion leap, nothing feels static.

Forsete

stuburns said:
The movement of the guns with the motion blur and things are also a big influence on why it looks so amazing, I'd never seen anything like it. It's a big immersion leap, nothing feels static.

Yep, the selective blurring done plus the amazing, AMAZING lightning is probably why it has that CG look.

I am absolutely not trying to start a console war or anything like that, but...

We all know that without all the personnel and monetary investments put into Killzone 2, it would not look as beautiful as it does now. I am not saying Guerrilla are bad developers, they clearly are incredibly talented, given the right resources and time (they are taking their sweet precious time on this game). But I do hope this starts a trend and that publishers of both HD systems start giving more of their titles this kind of attention, money, and time so that we can see more games on this level, cuz this shit is for real.

ianp622

stuburns said:
Why is this by the way? I've never seen anything that looks this smooth (smooth as in no jaggies), it's literally like a CG movie.

As for the various visual aspects, it's the effects that blew me away the most, the smoke, the fire trails behind rockets, normal fire effects. It's just unbelievable.

Usually deferred rendering prevents you from using antialiasing. However, GG seems to have found a way to do it even with deferred rendering, and obviously whatever they do works really well for some reason.

StuBurns

Banned
Memphis Reigns said:

We all know that without all the personnel and monetary investments put into Killzone 2, it would not look as beautiful as it does now. I am not saying Guerrilla are bad developers, they clearly are incredibly talented, given the right resources and time (they are taking their sweet precious time on this game). But I do hope this starts a trend and that publishers of both HD systems start giving more of their titles this kind of attention, money, and time so that we can see more games on this level, cuz this shit is for real.
Why would that cause a console war? Or did I misunderstand?

KZ2 looks this good because it had to, they're going to get raped if this game isn't the best looking thing ever. KZ1 was disappointing for many (people still forget it's basically the best shooter on PS2), if they fell short again, it'd be really bad.

The budget must be immense, almost too much to justify if they weren't going to use the tech again. But Sony now have the best looking console engine available, and enough developers to put a lot of games on it. Two years from now, every first party PS3 game should look this good.

As for console wars though, there is no reason Microsoft couldn't get something similar on their system, it's just a case of putting the cash and time in. They haven't been pressured to do so from CG trailers and over hype.

stuburns said:
Why would that cause a console war? Or did I misunderstand?

KZ2 looks this good because it had to, they're going to get raped if this game isn't the best looking thing ever. KZ1 was disappointing for many (people still forget it's basically the best shooter on PS2), if they fell short again, it'd be really bad.

The budget must be immense, almost too much to justify if they weren't going to use the tech again. But Sony now have the best looking console engine available, and enough developers to put a lot of games on it. Two years from now, every first party PS3 good should look this good.

As for console wars though, there is no reason Microsoft couldn't get something similar on their system, it's just a case of putting the cash and time in. They haven't been pressured to do so from CG trailers and over hype.

I just wanted to make it clear I wasn't making a "this console is more powerful than that console" post. But this is what I mean by putting more effort and money in because both consoles are clearly capable of amazing visuals, just depends on what you have. I agree Sony was under major pressure and they'd get shat on if it didnt look like the original CG trailer. And good for them they capitalized. But if I were the head of MS Games and I saw KZ2 I would sure feel a shit ton of pressure to produce a game that could match it on a visual level, since I'm sure MS doesn't want to have that image of being underpowered. And I hope that this is exactly what happens. Developers take notice what Sony and Guerrilla have done, and start getting on the same page! MOAR BAD ASS GAMES PLZ

slider

Memphis Reigns said:

I think I'm missing something with your post? KZ2 looks good because there has been a substantive investment made? Really!

As for other devs/publishers making similar investments... I don't think we're likely to see that any time soon. And if we did I'd expect a resultant higher cost per game.

EDIT: Seen your later post. Good stuff.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I think it looks better than the CG trailer based on the art and stylistically. That original E3 video was so sterile.

StuBurns

Banned
Memphis Reigns said:
I just wanted to make it clear I wasn't making a "this console is more powerful than that console" post. But this is what I mean by putting more effort and money in because both consoles are clearly capable of amazing visuals, just depends on what you have. I agree Sony was under major pressure and they'd get shat on if it didnt look like the original CG trailer. And good for them they capitalized. But if I were the head of MS Games and I saw KZ2 I would sure feel a shit ton of pressure to produce a game that could match it on a visual level, since I'm sure MS doesn't want to have that image of being underpowered. And I hope that this is exactly what happens. Developers take notice what Sony and Guerrilla have done, and start getting on the same page! MOAR BAD ASS GAMES PLZ
Microsoft don't have a first party studio to put a KZ2 style project on though.
The new Halo team maybe, but Halo 4 is probably for Xbox 3. At this point, starting a KZ2 size project for this generation would be stupid because it'd look wank compared with the next gen games that will be shown around the time it'd hit retail.

sykoex said:
I think it looks better than the CG trailer based on the art and stylistically. That original E3 video was so sterile.
It does indeed, but tech wise it's still not quite there, some of the effects, like the haze on explosions are still not there. Even with how good it looks. Art wise, it's definitely much better.

img_2301_killzone2.2.jpg

PS4 maybe.

Raistlin

stuburns said:

I don't want to turn this into a console war, but we don't know that for a fact.

There is a ton of graphical processing being done on the SPUs, so who knows whether it could be done or not.

Schrade

Has anyone ever released a 720p version of that very first Killzone 2 CG video? I can only ever find DVD quality versions.

StuBurns

Banned
Onix said:
I don't want to turn this into a console war, but we don't know that for a fact.

There is a ton of graphical processing being done on the SPUs, so who knows whether it could be done or not.
I only said something similar, because I don't know if it's technically possible. I constantly hear different things about which system is higher spec for practical application. PS3 has higher potential but 360 is easier to utilize etc.

But I think considering the jump KZ2 is, I think the 360 probably has quite a bit of headroom as well.

Schrade said:
Has anyone ever released a 720p version of that very first Killzone 2 CG video? I can only ever find DVD quality versions.
Gametrailers has a comparison video with a 720p version, but it's intercut with with the real time version, and it's in that crappy compression all there videos use.

alterno69

Banned
stuburns said:
I only said something similar, because I don't know if it's technically possible. I constantly hear different things about which system is higher spec for practical application. PS3 has higher potential but 360 is easier to utilize etc.

But I think considering the jump KZ2 is, I think the 360 probably has quite a bit of headroom as well.

Gametrailers has a comparison video with a 720p version, but it's intercut with with the real time version, and it's in that crappy compression all there videos use.

It doesn't really matter if its possible or not, systems are only as powerful as their games show, i mean, what good is the potential in a system if you don't realise it?

Darkpen

Banned
McLovin said:
I hate using L2 to run/crouch.. but I forgive Insomniac..
you know there's an option in the menus to change that, don't you?

Personally, I just wish they'd throw in a "toggle - on/off" option for how crouch works.

StuBurns

Banned
alterno69 said:
It doesn't really matter if its possible or not, systems are only as powerful as their games show, i mean, what good is the potential in a system if you don't realise it?
Indeed, I was just saying, I didn't say it is possible on 360, just that something similar probably is. I personally don't care about it. They're comparable machines regardless of what some people claim.

Raistlin

stuburns said:

I think this game kind of shows the tech difference. In reality, the game is NOT practical, that's why you don't see 3rd parties (nor 1st party for that matter) putting out stuff like this.

Since Sony has such a large stable of 1st party/2nd party devs, it makes sense to do an long-term investment like this. It really doesn't make sense for other companies though.

Its hard to tell. Many would argue (at least theoretically) that the ease of development means it isn't going to have as much headroom. That said, I hardly expect graphics to just completely hit a wall on the 360.

What makes KZ2 a bit weird though is that it is a pretty non-traditional engine (differred), and is utilizing CELL for a lot of graphics. The latter part is what makes it unlikely we'll see such a jump on the 360.

slider

Well, if the KZ engine is utilising SPUs in a big way it's safe to say GG couldn't transport the engine to the 360 as is (duh!).

That's not to say the 360 couldn't produce similar fidelity.

stuburns said:
It's essential in KZ2.

I'd have gone for something more like this:

L1 - Sprint
L2 - Crouch
R1 - Fire Weapon
R2 - Zoom
Tri - Reload/Pickup Weapon
[] - Grenade
O - Use/Action Button
X - Jump

That is probably the worst control scheme ever devised.
That was a joke right? You can't expect to compete like that.. Do you?

StuBurns

Banned
shadowsdarknes said:
Well I certainly couldn't compete with anything on L3/R3 because it'd mess up all the time. And Zoom makes more sense on R2, moving grenade to square makes sense because it's the quickest face button to use. The other three faces buttons are kind interchangeable.

shadowsdarknes said:

Yeah pressing R1 and R2 at the same time would take some getting used to for me. :lol

StuBurns

Banned
Fenderputty said:
Yeah pressing R1 and R2 at the same time would take some getting used to for me. :lol
Why would you ever press them at the same time? When would you ever want to zoom at the exact same time you're firing? The whole point of the system is to adjust your view to be able to shoot more accurately.

Ploid 3.0

Memphis Reigns said:

The same privileges are given to JP games like GT, FF, and games from blizzard, and such. It's more a case of rushed games looking rushed.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Pai Pai Master said:
I wouldn't be able to bear having zoom and fire on the same hand. I like Crouch on L3 and Reload on R3.

Zoom is toggle in KZ2 beta tho. So it's not like you have to hold R2 while firing with R1.

soldat7

stuburns said:
Wipeout is on the Motorstorm engine.

Wipeout HD is NOT on the Motorstorm engine:

4 Responses to “Happy Fun List Time: Top 10 PS3 Games of 08…ish.”

1. Jon Says:
April 28th, 2008 at 6:29 am

I don’t know where the rumour that WipEout HD uses the Motorstorm engine originally came from, but I can tell you right now it’s completely untrue and without basis. WipEout HD uses its own technology, adapted in part from that developed for Formula One CE.

Love from Jon (from Studio Liverpool) xxx

:)
2. Sam Says:
April 28th, 2008 at 9:50 am

Whoops! I’m not sure where it started either, but I’ve made the appropriate changes to make sure we’re not just talking out our collective asses here (well, at least a little less than usual). Sorry for adding to the confusion, and thanks for clearing that up for us, Jon!

P.S. If you happen to see the MotorStorm 2 guys, let ‘em know we didn’t mean to let the Pacifica cat out of the bag early. Double-whoops. :)
3. Jon Says:
April 28th, 2008 at 11:28 am

Haha, it’s all good. In fact, officially, I am one of the Motorstorm 2 guys (now that we’re all one big happy family).

I’m pretty sure that rumour started as a careless comment on a videoblog somewhere. Before we knew it, we were fighting it off from all angles :)

http://totalplaystation.com/blog/2008/04/27/happy-fun-list-time-top-10-ps3-games-of-08ish/

spwolf

Memphis Reigns said:

so if they didnt try hard, it wouldnt look as good? really?

:lol

spwolf said:
so if they didnt try hard, it wouldnt look as good? really?

:lol

You missed the point of my post completely. More resources obviously means a better product. My point was that more games should have this level of production. I'm not saying other games aren't fun or can't be warranted a purchase because they aren't on KZ2s level, but it'd be nice to see more games like this that are extremely polished and have an overall better production value. The presentation and overall package of KZ2 is quite ahead of anything else, and I would think most would agree that more games like this is a good thing.

Darkpen

Banned
Memphis Reigns said:
You missed the point of my post completely. More resources obviously means a better product. My point was that more games should have this level of production. I'm not saying other games aren't fun or can't be warranted a purchase because they aren't on KZ2s level, but it'd be nice to see more games like this that are extremely polished and have an overall better production value. The presentation and overall package of KZ2 is quite ahead of anything else, and I would think most would agree that more games like this is a good thing.
problem is, that's a huge investment, money-wise, and if the game tanks, there goes the money. Its the reason why most Japanese publishers are so unwilling to make large games these days, not to mention their own domestic market, where the only games selling are local co-op games on handhelds, RPGs, or wii titles.

Its as if Capcom is the most progressive in this department, while S-E is solely relying on grounded franchises (Last Remnant was apparently very hard to greenlight), and Konami only has MGS4.

I'm pretty worried about the Helghast's glowing eyes in Multiplayer. Seems like a huge disadvantage. Much easier to see and it naturally makes even noobs want to aim at your head :lol

WinFonda

Darkpen said:
problem is, that's a huge investment, money-wise, and if the game tanks, there goes the money.

Well you know how it goes, you've gotta spend money to make money. So go big! Sony's got the balls at least. Don't ever lose those balls, Sony.

Darkpen

Banned
WinFonda said:
Well you know how it goes, you've gotta spend money to make money. So go big! Sony's got the balls at least. Don't ever lose those balls, Sony.
well, in Sony's case, they really dropped the ball early on in this generation, with Microsoft moneyhatting publishers left and right, but what Sony's been preparing for the past few years are really beginning to shine, and gamers are noticing.

Forsete

WinFonda said:

Word up. If everyone was so scared we would be drowning in cheap shovelware.

Memphis Reigns said:

KZ2's look obviously is about resources and talent; like any other game out there.

KZ2's budget is nothing out of the ordinary, and around what you'd find for similar blockbuster titles that take years and years of development (Halo 3, MGS4, less than GTA4, etc). KZ2 basically shows the progress of PS3 development now that developers are getting used to the system and tools.

Give credit where credit is do. They're doing things with the PS3 that are truly showing its muscle thanks to their highly efficient use of the CELL processor, which is responsible for its distinct look and all of the processing effects in the game.

We've seen hints of it before with Uncharted 2, and now a year later we're seeing Killzone 2.

Can't imagine what Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 look like.

Top Bottom