• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - Helghan TRAILER (Must See)

wotter

FFChris said:
I totally agree. That trailer was rediculous.

The engine though, will Sony be able to use it in other internal games? Is Guerilla first party?
Yep, GG is part of Sony now, they were bought a couple of years ago iirc.

iceatcs

FFChris said:
The engine though, will Sony be able to use it in other internal games? Is Guerilla first party?
Yep Guerilla is first party to Sony. I dunno if this engine is enough optimize for other game but at least, there are codes designed for PS3.

Wollan

FFChris said:
Sony bought Guerrilla Games (KZ2) and Zipper Interactive (MAG) at about the same time in late 2005.

Pistolero

Onix said:
My god, some of you are ridiculous.

Hum, noty aware of the "naughty diversion tactic" ? One of the brilliant moves of the qualified troll, the approach consists of bashing some highly anticipated game in another highly anticipated game's thread with the two running on the same platefrom. The manoeuvre continues whenever the assermented troll's given a breach to troll the "once" praised game in another game's (preferably belonging to the same genre as to deviate attention) thread, and so on and so forth...

Raistlin

You may be right. Its sad some people put that much thought into it.

I had assumed it was a typical reaction to the new-sexy, by purposefully shitting on the the old-busted in order to 'strengthen' the point. Basically, set up an exaggerated contrast.

If it is as you're guessing ... that's just sad. :\

I simply don't care enough to actually check the post history to find out.

AndyD

aka andydumi
RiverBed said:
amazing. I just had an apifiny; the powers that be command me to do everything and get every trophy in this game. and I gladly accept this awesome chore!

there is something worriying me, being the sneaky sniper type that I am, wouldn't my three red glowing eyes give me up in a dark corner somewhere, or do you only spot the Helghast eyes at close proximity?

it may be a little thing, but I just thought about it looking at the awesome sniper in the trailer.

I think thats the thing that will make it slightly fair. Otherwise you blend in so well, it would be impossible to counter a good sniper.

FFChris

Wollan said:
Sony bought Guerrilla Games (KZ2) and Zipper Interactive (MAG) at about the same time in late 2005.

So we might see this engine being passed around the Sony first party studios. Regardless, whatever Guerilla do after KZ2, they have a fantastic looking engine to do it with.

FFChris said:

Yeah, I want to see how flexible this engine is...I would love to see how this could be utilized in an rpg or some such...The cinematic effects they have going in this game could be absolutely incredible in an rpg

RiverBed

Banned
FFChris said:

they bought Guerrilla (before KZ1 even launched?) due to their tech. I certainly hope to see the engine used for other games and not only by the Guerrilla team.

Stillmatic

This game looks amazing, i have to post these from the 'Mega-HD version' version. :lol

vlcsnap-106074.png

vlcsnap-105997.png

vlcsnap-105829.png

vlcsnap-105702.png

vlcsnap-104936.png

vlcsnap-104714.png

vlcsnap-104320.png

vlcsnap-104170.png

vlcsnap-103550.png

vlcsnap-102902.png

vlcsnap-102151.png

vlcsnap-101976.png

Danielsan

This game looks ridiculous. I just hope the singleplayer will be up to snuff. Regardless, I'll buy this for the visuals alone.

Wollan

FFChris said:
So we might see this engine being passed around the Sony first party studios. Regardless, whatever Guerilla do after KZ2, they have a fantastic looking engine to do it with.
It isn't just a contained engine per say that other SCEEWWS devs will have to take or leave fully. A lot of the tech in KZ2 is there thanks to the collaboration between the studios. All the various components and techniques are shared and whatever SCEWWS studio takes (or base their code of or just learn from) the specific ones they need to tailor build an engine for their specific game. From what I read I believe Guerrilla used some geometry component written by Naughty Dog. Likewise, Naughty Dog took use of some shadowing techniques Guerrilla developed and so on (this is all just the tip of the iceberg). As long as there is a SCEWWS this will be the case going forward.

skulpt

Here's a gif I just pulled. Sorry if someone has done this already:

35bxf05.jpg

The level of filters and effects like heat blur and that sort of thing are just off the charts with this game. Check out the sparks flying out of that thing at the same time. The lighting is just miles above anything else right now.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Wollan, sometimes I think you are too informed about SCEI... I wouldn't be surprised if you were Sony Computer Entertainment Australia.

Firewire

Banned
skulpt said:
Here's a gif I just pulled. Sorry if someone has done this already:

35bxf05.jpg

The level of filters and effects like heat blur and that sort of thing are just off the charts with this game. Check out the sparks flying out of that thing at the same time. The lighting is just miles above anything else right now.
OMG!

Raistlin

FFChris said:

There's a reason why KZ2 has the budget it has, and why GG is not the only studio working on this title. To Sony, its an investment. The tools, libraries, etc. from this title will pay for itself over the next several years.

nelsonroyale said:
Yeah, I want to see how flexible this engine is...I would love to see how this could be utilized in an rpg or some such...The cinematic effects they have going in this game could be absolutely incredible in an rpg

Things don't work like that (or at least they don't have to). Its not all or nothing.

slider

iceatcs said:
It really remind me of last act in Gears of War.

Thanks! Had been wanting to see that slower for a while now.

Appreciate the stills too. Seeing stuff that I hadn't even noticed during the original viewing.

Drool.

Nafai1123

Banned
Onix said:
There's a reason why KZ2 has the budget it has, and why GG is not the only studio working on this title. To Sony, its an investment. The tools, libraries, etc. from this title will pay for itself over the next several years.

I can only hope that future Sony titles started taking advantage of GG's aliasing solutions to run every game with this kind of anti-aliasing. That would be amazing.

Man, they still have people on crappy forums like GameSpot pulling the "lulz, GG sux, and so will kz2" card.

Ya know what I'd love? If Sony NDA'd all GOOD reviews. Let a few 8s slip through cracks early on, get the naysayers' hopes up, then - *BAM* - all at once have IGN, Eurogamer, etc. post their 9s, owning all the haters simultaneously.

jmd494

Clinton514 said:
Anyone worried about controls...there are options:

Taken from the floor of the Eurogamer Expo.
photo102.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Not fully customizable? wtf?!

Any devs out there...is this hard to do AT ALL?

Clinton514

Justin Dailey said:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Not fully customizable? wtf?!

Any devs out there...is this hard to do AT ALL?
If I heard correctly, they're looking into that. But for those coming off of COD4 withdrawal, there's a control type for them.

Flunkie

Banned
KZ2's default control setup (with a one-tick up in "sensitivity") is perfect for me.

L2 = Crouch, R3 = Aim

I can't stand having to take my hands off the right stick now with Call of Duty-type controls.

Raistlin

Private Hoffman said:
Works perfectly.

I'd be surprised.

For example, I've always had an issue of accidentally doing melee (R3) attacks in Resistance and Resistance 2 ... particularly during furious firefights. Makes online kind of lol.

StuBurns

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Works perfectly.
I thought it was a mess. The Sprinting a lot more than the Zoom though.

It really lets the controls down actually, it's very tight, everything feels great except that. You have to push the button in, and still move the stick to control the character, it's just an awful idea. I'd be so much better on L1. And Zooming in and out while trying to aim quickly is going to be an issue for a lot of people I suspect. I always accidently hit the R3/L3 buttons. Maybe I'm a clumsy twat, but if so, I'm not alone being one.

Raistlin

Well, you actually can depress L/R3 with the stick being in basically any position. That leads to the issue I illustrated above ... especially once the stick's been worked in a bit.

stuburns said:
I thought it was a mess. The Sprinting a lot more than the Zoom though.

It really lets the controls down actually, it's very tight, everything feels great except that. You have to push the button in, and still move the stick to control the character, it's just an awful idea. I'd be so much better on L1. And Zooming in and out while trying to aim quickly is going to be an issue for a lot of people I suspect. I always accidently hit the R3/L3 buttons. Maybe I'm a clumsy twat, but if so, I'm not alone being one.

You dont have to hold it down to sprint.

You just tap it once to sprint.

Trust me on this: I don't know why anyone would want to change the default control scheme in KZ2.

Onix said:
I'd be surprised.

For example, I've always had an issue of accidentally doing melee (R3) attacks in Resistance and Resistance 2 ... particularly during furious firefights. Makes online kind of lol.

Hm. I never had that problem in R1 or R2. YMMV depending on how prone you are to accidentally pressing it.

StuBurns

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
You dont have to hold it down to sprint.

You just tap it once to sprint.

Trust me on this: I don't know why anyone would want to change the default control scheme in KZ2.
I don't think that's how it was working today. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd still put sprint on L1 and Zoom on R2.

Stillmatic said:
This game looks amazing, i have to post these from the 'Mega-HD version' version. :lol

FUCKING AWESOME PICS OMFG
OMFGOJGOAJIAOJGOAIJFOAJFOAIJFOAIJFOIEJOPIEJ O____________________O_O_O

StuBurns

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
You don't have to hold it down at all. I'm not wrong on this.
Even if you're not, I don't care, I'd still take it off the sticks. I accidently press them, and I don't ever want to accidently do anything. Blame me, blame the controller design, it doesn't matter. Maybe for you it's not an issue, but for me it is.

Cruzader

Banned
You dont have to hold for Aiming/Running which sucks, I want to toggle that off. I like to hold to aim and to get off the iron sight as soon as I let go, same for running. This needs change.

Top Bottom