• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_D

SSM25 said:
I noticed, but I also noticed that the media for some reason HATE Killzone. Maybe it's because the first one was bad, maybe because they are going to eat their words because the GFX actually hold up against the E05 trailer, maybe because is a sony exclusive. For once I'm going to ignore Reviews, good or bad.
Guerrilla Studios has yet to make a must-buy game (or even really a decent game... the PSP Killzone is arguable).

The original Killzone was supposed to go head-to-head with Halo, and it failed horribly.

Killzone 2 was shown as CGI, and was said to be real-time (apparently, I don't have a link on hand) and it obviously wasn't.

Guerrilla has been setting themselves up for extreme criticism for years.

MassiveAttack said:
Er, nothing much has changed in the media's perception of KZ2 since 2005. There is a still a reluctance to admit that the game has not only matched but surpassed the original CG trailer and more pathologically, an unwillingness to say they were wrong about Sony and Guerrilla.
I doubt the media thinks Sony is bad as a whole... there are TONS of high-rated Sony games, after all.
However, from what we've seen, Killzone 2 looks to be pretty good. It has some noticeable flaws, but so does every game. It will be interesting to see how the reviews go.

And no, the CGI has not been matched. The current form of the game has a much better atmosphere and looks much grittier and cool... but technically it has not matched the CGI.

Zen

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
There is a still a reluctance to admit that the game has not only matched but surpassed the original CG trailer and more pathologically, an unwillingness to say they were wrong about Sony and Guerrilla.

Disagree on the first part, agree on the second.

Technically speaking it sure hasn't met the original trailer, and visually, since they added a ton of color to appease the fools, it doesn't look nearly as CG as it use to. Though it still looks great. I think 'it got closser than anyone though possible' is accurate.

KZObsessed

zeloe326 said:
My only problem is that these knuckle head reviewers are part responsible for how games sell, wether we want to admit it or not. And its sad when you have guys like Jeff Gert (whatever his last name is) from Giant Bomb already claiming that the PS3 is dead by June 2009, if they don't have anything good in the Pipeline. These are guys that have serious followings, and Its just fucked up that many people might not be able to experiance a great game because you got reviewers from many game media outlets already ignoring most if not all of PS3's software lineup. Maybe, I'm just paranoid.

Yeah, they can affect the sales of a game in some way, but I don't think reviewers really have any kind of significant impact. If a game gets really great scores, the hardcore know about it and they pass the info on to their friends and it can snow ball etc. But there have been games that have reviewed well and not sold well. Okami for instance. But I really think most people do actually try and make up their own minds. If a game people are looking forward to gets lower than they expected or hoped for, they'll still want to check out the game for themselves. It may not be day 1, but they might rent it, then if they like it buy it, or wait til it's cheaper. OR try the demo that people seem to be against which I think is a great idea! I think Sony knows that this game is going to be reviewed more critically than any other and are giving people the chance to try it for themselves.

I strongly believe that positive word of mouth has way more effect than some online or magazine game reviews. And so if Guerrilla deliver, which I believe they will, this game will sell. Remember, the first game sold over 2 million worldwide and was panned by a lot of reviewers, and the franchise still has quite a hardcore following despite it. It's because despite it's flaws, it had some very redeeming and appealing qualities.

Sure, if the game doesn't get perfect 10's from everywhere, which it won't, then some people wont give it the time of day. But guess what, they're the people that wouldn't anyway. No matter what. They're the people that want the game to fail because it's not on their system of choice and they don't want to buy a PS3. Just wait til KZ2 gets it's first 8 or 7 from someplace, which it will. Watch them come out of the woodwork and say how crap the game is no matter how many 9's or 10's it gets.

More copies of this game will be sold by people just seeing it being played on their friends TV's, or by playing an online match themselves at their friends house than online/magazine scores. The lack of split screen co-op may harm it as that's a good way to introduce people to a shooter, but then it didn't harm COD4. Sony just need to show GAMEPLAY footage of this game on TV. Show the landing sequence then spliced bits of gameplay. Just like the E3 07 trailer, which is still the best official media that's been put out from the game. That will sell more copies than reviews will.

Anyway, come on man, don't worry about review scores, it's not even been reviewed yet! Let Sony marketing worry about that, it's their job. Life's too short. When the game comes out, buy it, enjoy it. Get your friends to get it so you've got people you know to play online with, and I and I'm sure many gaffers will be playing it for years so we can all play together. *group hug*

I can't affect whether or not people are going to give Guerrilla the respect I believe they deserve, and for all we know Guerrilla WILL earn that respect when the game ships. But, at the end of the day whatever happens they have my respect so it's all good <3

Nizz

zeloe326 said:
Do anyone notice that not that many game media sources are claiming this as their most anticipated game for 2009? After listening to 1up last week with Jeff G and Ryan from Giant Bomb, and this week 1up fm, and Giant bombs bombcast. No one seems to be looking foward to Killzone 2, when asked what game they are looking foward to in 2009. Same goes for IGN's podcast beyond, and Gametrailers Bonus Round. Seems as no one in the media wants to say Killzone 2 is their most anticipated. As if the Hype is so high, that claiming it most anticipated would be some sort of bad wagon jumping. Instead they name games that either aren't even announced yet, are games that haven't even been given a release date yet. Seems a little weird.
I have noticed this. A lot of sites I go to, like 1up or GiantBomb, just don't seem excited for the game. Although David Ellis from 1up seems to like the game a lot recently. He said he played through the preview build they had at 1up four times. And that he was disappointed when the preview build ended because he wanted to keep playing. So that's really good news. But you're right, the game doesn't seem to be getting more love/anticipation/excitement than it should. I mean, the game looks sick! It plays great. The guns feel good. The sound is fantastic. A lot of points that are rarely discounted for other games. But there's still a stigma associated with this game that seems hard to overcome...

Puck

Banned
Can any of the review builders comment on whether the game stresses the PS3 hardware?
With no mandatory (or optional install), it looks like a lot of BD drives are going to be in for a beating and we will see many fail, much like uncharted.

Anyone else think the same?

NameIess

Puck said:
Can any of the review builders comment on whether the game stresses the PS3 hardware?
With no mandatory (or optional install), it looks like a lot of BD drives are going to be in for a beating and we will see many fail, much like uncharted.

Uhhhh no...

Well they say they havent hit any hardware limitations, the number 60% gets thrown around a bit by the GG devs, so I guess they would have an idea. Also about lack of an install, KZ2 was in development before installs became an easy fallback idea for developers, GG are designing the game to utilise the PS3 efficiently (Piping GPU ops through the SPU's etc) to free up all sorts of limits. I think future PS3 exclusives will follow suit and not have any installations.
On a side note, I feel that technically the 05 trailer is better in character detail, particle effects etc (look at the gun models closely)...Yet the current Real Time looks better from both a presentation and an artistic standpoint. The smoke and fire looks infinitely better in the real time too though.

J-Rzez

zeloe326 said:
Do anyone notice that not that many game media sources are claiming this as their most anticipated game for 2009? After listening to 1up last week with Jeff G and Ryan from Giant Bomb, and this week 1up fm, and Giant bombs bombcast. No one seems to be looking foward to Killzone 2, when asked what game they are looking foward to in 2009. Same goes for IGN's podcast beyond, and Gametrailers Bonus Round. Seems as no one in the media wants to say Killzone 2 is their most anticipated. As if the Hype is so high, that claiming it most anticipated would be some sort of bad wagon jumping. Instead they name games that either aren't even announced yet, are games that haven't even been given a release date yet. Seems a little weird.

I'm not surprised one bit, not finding it odd at all. This was the media's favorite whipping boy against the PS3. EGM/1up used it numerous times, including poking at it's AI in a supposed "Best/Worst" comparo with their favorite shooter when the game was months upon months away from release. It pains them like many of the fans that inhabit their site to see that they came close to hitting the trailer in some aspects while passing it in others. Why does it pain them? Simple, it's a PS3 exclusive. It was supposed to be the final nail in the PS3's coffin, but unfortunately it's not. They were banking on it so hard to fail, that they're scrambling already to find ways to nitpick the game to get it's scores down. Look already at EGM/1up with the 1upshows and 1upyours that they try to get on it with ridiculous statements from Dave Ellis and crew. It's funny actually.

Or perhaps they didn't get their PS3's stuffed in a duffle bag with tons of other goodies packed in to thank them for putting in their time to review the game, and to help them get an optimized experience from said title by being in the proper mindset.

:lol

Holy shit... :lol

Snowden

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Or perhaps they didn't get their PS3's stuffed in a duffle bag with tons of other goodies packed in to thank them for putting in their time to review the game, and to help them get an optimized experience from said title by being in the proper mindsetl
I dunno. Those review copies sure came in some swanky packaging.

iceatcs

Vista users joy! :/

I finally uploaded 2 DreamScene clips on zip.

First one is the chief:
KillzoneDreamsceneV1.gif

And the another one is the nuke one:
Killzone2Nuke-1.gif

Sorry only 720p because of original source is 720p but it does look really nice on my 24inch desktop background. Some hips but still almost smooth loop.

DOWNLOAD:
Rapidshare (only 10 downloads I think)
Megaupload

SonComet

pseudocaesar said:
Well they say they havent hit any hardware limitations, the number 60% gets thrown around a bit by the GG devs, so I guess they would have an idea. Also about lack of an install, KZ2 was in development before installs became an easy fallback idea for developers, GG are designing the game to utilise the PS3 efficiently (Piping GPU ops through the SPU's etc) to free up all sorts of limits. I think future PS3 exclusives will follow suit and not have any installations.
On a side note, I feel that technically the 05 trailer is better in character detail, particle effects etc (look at the gun models closely)...Yet the current Real Time looks better from both a presentation and an artistic standpoint. The smoke and fire looks infinitely better in the real time too though.
60% is referring to spu usage, not the console on the whole. So if a KZ3 comes out on the PS3 don't expect a miracle. It would look better, but not that much.

Puck said:

are you from an alternate timeline where this happened?

NameIess

J-Rzez said:
I'm not surprised one bit, not finding it odd at all. This was the media's favorite whipping boy against the PS3. EGM/1up used it numerous times, including poking at it's AI in a supposed "Best/Worst" comparo with their favorite shooter when the game was months upon months away from release. It pains them like many of the fans that inhabit their site to see that they came close to hitting the trailer in some aspects while passing it in others. Why does it pain them? Simple, it's a PS3 exclusive. It was supposed to be the final nail in the PS3's coffin, but unfortunately it's not. They were banking on it so hard to fail, that they're scrambling already to find ways to nitpick the game to get it's scores down. Look already at EGM/1up with the 1upshows and 1upyours that they try to get on it with ridiculous statements from Dave Ellis and crew. It's funny actually.

Or perhaps they didn't get their PS3's stuffed in a duffle bag with tons of other goodies packed in to thank them for putting in their time to review the game, and to help them get an optimized experience from said title by being in the proper mindset.

:lol

Holy shit... :lol

I agree the gaming media seems really bias against PS3 exclusive titles, but I hope like Uncharted the gaming community gets behind the title and drives sales. Since the PS3 is at a higher price point with superior overall tech exclusive titles should be of high quality, but expecting the game to be a generation ahead is absolutely unrealistic. Also, every PS3 exclusive should not be expected the redefine the gaming genre.

If Killzone 2 delivers on the promise of a cinematic chaotic war experience with cutting edge visuals and good gameplay the gaming community rallies to make it a success. We really don't want to have one next-gen console and the Wii...

zeloe326

FFObsessed said:
Anyway, come on man, don't worry about review scores, it's not even been reviewed yet! Let Sony marketing worry about that, it's their job. Life's too short. When the game comes out, buy it, enjoy it. Get your friends to get it so you've got people you know to play online with, and I and I'm sure many gaffers will be playing it for years so we can all play together. *group hug*

Your right man. Sometimes I get too caught up in these things. But like I said, I was in the beta, loved every minute off it, and that pretty much sealed the deal with me. So no worries there.

roMonster

Immortal_Daemon said:
Guerrilla Studios has yet to make a must-buy game (or even really a decent game... the PSP Killzone is arguable).

The original Killzone was supposed to go head-to-head with Halo, and it failed horribly.

Killzone 2 was shown as CGI, and was said to be real-time (apparently, I don't have a link on hand) and it obviously wasn't.

I doubt the media thinks Sony is bad as a whole... there are TONS of high-rated Sony games, after all.
However, from what we've seen, Killzone 2 looks to be pretty good. It has some noticeable flaws, but so does every game. It will be interesting to see how the reviews go.

And no, the CGI has not been matched. The current form of the game has a much better atmosphere and looks much grittier and cool... but technically it has not matched the CGI.

I don't believe it was anyone at Guerrilla who promised either of those examples you gave. And as for opening themselves up to extreme criticism it's not like they said they were going to revolutionize the fps--or that KZ2 would the the last FPS you'll ever need to play. Neither were there any broken dev promises like you carve your name into a tree and it would be there years later--at least as far as I know. (Ugh, it feels like I'm picking on someone.)

And as for the phrase 'extreme criticism'... are you saying that for one reason or another KZ2 will be reviewed differently than any other game? (Because when I said that people told me to take off my tin foil hat.)

SSM25

iceatcs said:

First one is the chief:
KillzoneDreamsceneV1.gif

Killzone2Nuke-1.gif

Sorry only 720p because of original source is 720p but it does look really nice on my 24inch desktop background. Some hips but still almost smooth loop.

DOWNLOAD:
Megaupload

Woah!!..I can't believe I never tried this before!!...Thanks dude.

BTW....Anyone else noticed that the helmet of the Helghast officer is hollow :lol

KZObsessed

SSM25 said:

BTW....Anyone else noticed that the helmet of the Helghast officer is hollow :lol

Well I would hope so, otherwise how would he get his head in? :p

iceatcs

SSM25 said:

True, maybe it is a ghost.

Clinton514

Puck said:

Most reviewers barely know about technical specs of any console. It's sad.

DoomGyver

iceatcs said:

First one is the chief:
KillzoneDreamsceneV1.gif

Killzone2Nuke-1.gif

DOWNLOAD:
Megaupload

Any way I can get this to work for Mac?

FirewalkR

McLovin said:
I think its actually allot more. Isn't this like the 3rd-4th thread?

Yeah I know, I'm just waiting for someone to take the bait and actually go add up the other threads. I'm lazy like that. :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zen said:
Technically speaking it sure hasn't met the original trailer, and visually, since they added a ton of color to appease the fools, it doesn't look nearly as CG as it use to
I don't think they changed the colors on the first level at all, and that was clearly the one meant to emulate the look of the E305 trailer the most. In fact, I don't think they changed the colors anywhere but on that one level that starts with another landing.

I_D

roMonster said:
I don't believe it was anyone at Guerrilla who promised either of those examples you gave. And as for opening themselves up to extreme criticism it's not like they said they were going to revolutionize the fps--or that KZ2 would the the last FPS you'll ever need to play. Neither were there any broken dev promises like you carve your name into a tree and it would be there years later--at least as far as I know. (Ugh, it feels like I'm picking on someone.)

And as for the phrase 'extreme criticism'... are you saying that for one reason or another KZ2 will be reviewed differently than any other game? (Because when I said that people told me to take off my tin foil hat.)

You act like I said Killzone 2 is the only game to ever set itself up. :lol
Fable under-delivered in monumental ways, as have a zillion games. They all set themselves up.

And are you really asking if games are reviewed differently?
GTA4 was the highest rated game of all time for a while... I'll leave it at that.

spwolf

Immortal_Daemon said:
You act like I said Killzone 2 is the only game to ever set itself up. :lol
Fable under-delivered in monumental ways, as have a zillion games. They all set themselves up.

And are you really asking if games are reviewed differently?
GTA4 was the highest rated game of all time for a while... I'll leave it at that.

how can it set itself up when it delivered?

Or rather I should say... It set itself up, and then delivered with a bang?

So how media percieve it, or did before they got their review copies does not matter, as based on media guys that posted here, they will review it in "quite positive" light :lol

So i dont think anyone needs to be worried about how KZ2 will be looked upon....

lupinko

Immortal_Daemon said:

Yes, that's all fine and dandy, just don't be around when we all enjoy this amazing game come February since you obviously are trying really hard to troll it.

Rikyfree

Immortal_Daemon said:

GG never said those things. A PR rep rep said it was real time, which GG said it was just a conceptual video. The media and fans called the original a halo killer, not GG. I would highly suggest editing your post, lest you appear foolish.

Truant

Immortal_Daemon said:
All games have flaws. Get over it. Pointing out negatives is not the same thing as trolling.

In the tall grass of these threads, telling friend from foe isn't easy. I don't think anyone honestly thinks the game looks as good as the 05 trailer, but it's not really that far off.

WinFonda

Immortal_Daemon said:
All games have flaws. Get over it. Pointing out negatives is not the same thing as trolling.
You're not pointing out negatives by saying "it has noticeable flaws, but so does everything" your just making a comment that doesn't articulate itself very well.

DrPirate

Banned
Immortal_Daemon said:

You haven't pointed out a single negative, and you haven't even trolled the game.

Where are people coming from? :Confused

Aside: The only people that can so far reserve a solid opinion on the gameplay are people that played it at preview events, reviewers, and beta testers. The opinions on it are pretty unanimously: Positive, so I don't understand where media bias is coming from.

Lastly: as a beta tester, I and several others loved it, and thought it played well. From the while I played, it was a solid, consistent experience that was enthralling and very enjoyable.

nib95

Banned
Immortal_Daemon said:

Negatives? Most of your points were tripe.

Firstly, the game was never supposed to go "toe to toe" with Halo. The media said that crap, not GG so don't hold them accountable.
Secondly, the CGI trailer. Again, a simple misinformed mistake by a PR person, not GG. But the media and rabid fanboys ran with it and yet again GG are left to take the heat.

Another thing, once someone brings up Killzone 1 in to the argument in a bid to judge Killzone 2, imo that's either automatic trolling, idiocy or pure ignorance. It does't take a genius to realise this sequel is in another league. Were it not for the story and setting, it could almost be a different game! Many of us (me inc) have already played the game (MP Beta at least) and can already vouch for it's quality. For many, its already way past Halo 3 (though they are very different) and for some, its already the best console online shooter experience they've had.

Also, exactly what are these "major flaws" the game supposedly has that you speak of? Because I have'nt noticed any. I'm curious to know.

DrPirate

Banned
nib95 said:
Another thing, once someone brings up Killzone 1 in to the argument in a bid to judge Killzone 2, imo that's either automatic trolling, idiocy or pure ignorance. It does't take a genius to realise this sequel is in another league.

What's interesting is that, Killzone 1 didn't fail from an artistic, level design, direction, pacing, etc, perspective. Killzone 1 felt to me, broken n terms of its gameplay (movement felt clunky, freamerate was janky, amongst other things), but it had (has) the best level variety in an FPS ever, cool look weapons, and subjectively: pretty awesome art direction.

The makings of a great franchse were there long before people were ready to dismiss the game without playing it and going from what they heard.

I just want to get my hands on KZ2 again. I hope they start talking about the collector's edition soon.

Not having the beta really, reaaaaaaallly sucks. On the bright side though, I suppose it's forced me to play some other games that I wouldn't have given as much attention to. :lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Zen said:
Disagree on the first part, agree on the second.

Technically speaking it sure hasn't met the original trailer, and visually, since they added a ton of color to appease the fools, it doesn't look nearly as CG as it use to. Though it still looks great. I think 'it got closser than anyone though possible' is accurate.

I'm not going to argue it any more, because the defense force on this game is CRAZY, however I'll state my opinion and actually mostly fact. The game has not, and will never meet it's render. Watching that render still blows me the fuck away (same goes for the motorstorm one). The character models are incredible, straight down to individual hairs, and pores on his face. The explosions are massive, and everything has it's own physics including the massive plumes of smoke.' The scale is otherworldly as is the lighting. On top of it, the render has this soft cgi look to it.' Not to mention the animations are scary, especially when he's told where to stand when he's handed the rocket launcher. All sorts of mayhem breaking lose, meanwhile everybody doing their own thing.

All this being said, the actual game is the best looking game I've seen to date, I bet in the future uncharted 2 will give it a good run, but for now it looks jaw dropping. It also came a lot close then I could've imagined. They captured the feel quite a bit, especially in the lighting system with the lens flares. The animations are pretty damn good as well, but not nearly as life like or cgi like as the original render. The explosions are the best in any game I've seen, but obviously they don't have the massive thick clouds of smoke, which had it's own physics. One thing they did so damn well with though were the reload animations and the gun model, which surpass the trailer in certain aspects.

I'm ready to be attacked for posting this, but any of those who attack are either seeing a different render than me, or they are just blind fanboys. On a technical level there is no denying the render destroys the original, and I believe 99 out of 100 times you show the new game versus the render in motion to a random person, they will pick the render. All this sounds really negative, but I'm really not being like that, I'm just being realistic. I used to be a hardcore sony fanboy, and I'm definitely still bias towards sony as in I love my playstation and I want it to succeed, but eventually I just stayed honest with myself, and I realize that killzone 2 in itself is incredible, I just ignore the render now.

icechai

its sad that first impressions take so long to fade in video game journalism. At least Sony is trying damn hard and this game definitely helps a lot (even if all those sites don't admit it). I think they had most of our respects from seeing/playing multiplayer Beta. I haven't watched any SP footage and i'm not going to, its just going to be an experience :)

To be fair, it didn't seem like Uncharted was super high on the media's list of anticipated games (more than KZ2 though), but now after the first one came out and was received well (still getting praises a year later), they are loving the look of the 2nd one. So hopefully they'll fall in love with KZ2 and anticipate the next GG project.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
icechai said:
its sad that first impressions take so long to fade in video game journalism. At least Sony is trying damn hard and this game definitely helps a lot (even if all those sites don't admit it). I think they had most of our respects from seeing/playing multiplayer Beta. I haven't watched any SP footage and i'm not going to, its just going to be an experience :)

To be fair, it didn't seem like Uncharted was super high on the media's list of anticipated games (more than KZ2 though), but now after the first one came out and was received well (still getting praises a year later), they are loving the look of the 2nd one. So hopefully they'll fall in love with KZ2 and anticipate the next GG project.

You got that right. From the time I saw the original trailer at e3 06 was very hyped. Gamers Day showed us first gameplay and it looked incredible. All the original previews though, bashed the gunplay, and said it was just OK. Same with impressions on gaf. I was all nervous it wasn't going to turn out too well, but it turned out just fine. It didn't sell that bad and I think the second one will give the franchise a big boost.

Nizz

Private Hoffman said:
I just want to get my hands on KZ2 again. I hope they start talking about the collector's edition soon.

Not having the beta really, reaaaaaaallly sucks. On the bright side though, I suppose it's forced me to play some other games that I wouldn't have given as much attention to. :lol
FWIW, I still have the beta installed. I keep thinking one day just for kicks, I press start to look for games and no error code shows up. ;) No such luck....

ChryZ

fps fanatic said:
FWIW, I still have the beta installed. I keep thinking one day just for kicks, I press start to look for games and no error code shows up. ;) No such luck....
Yeah, it was never this hard to delete something off my HDD.

Esch

Banned
Truant said:
It's funny how the awful KZ1 is redeemed now that a sequel comes along and does everything right.

Never change, Gaf.

It's funny how people fail to look back and see what made KZ1 promising. You call it awful but it did a few things pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom