• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikyfree

Although I prefer the 360 controller for shooters, there is no way in hell that the ds3 is inferior. To me, the only thing that I like better are the triggers, that is all, and even then, I can take it or leave it, won't hurt my performance one bit.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I find the dual shock design to be clunky when playing first person shooters, or shooters in general really (Uncharted for example).

Loose sticks, plus having them symmetrical just makes for a really odd experience. The design is outdated and outclassed in the year 2009 honestly.

I mean, it's not really a big deal, in the end I forget what piece of plastic I'm holding in my hands and enjoy the game for what it is regardless, but every time I pick up something like Uncharted there always is a minute or a two where I'm like, damn, I really wish I could plug in my 360 controller.

Although a game like Mirror's Edge works far better thanks to the loose sticks and most of the primary actions being linked to the L1/R1 buttons, so I guess it works both ways.

Rez>You said:
Personally I find the dual shock design to be clunky when playing first person shooters, or shooters in general really (Uncharted for example).

Loose sticks, plus having them symmetrical just makes for a really odd experience. The design is outdated and outclassed in the year 2009 honestly.

I mean, it's not really a big deal, in the end I forget what piece of plastic I'm holding in my hands and enjoy the game for what it is regardless, but every time I pick up something like Uncharted there always is a minute or a two where I'm like, damn, I really wish I could plug in my 360 controller.

Uncharted has very little auto-aim/assist, which is why it feels 'loose' and 'imprecise'. Has nothing to do with the controllers, because if you play R2 you will get a completely different feeling. It's similar to controlling PDZ on the 360, which can also feel loose and imprecise.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Rez>You said:

Being human, I exhibit bilateral symmetry, having the analog sticks anything but symmetrical would make for a really odd experience.

After all, my thumbs are the same length, each of them stick out from the hand it is attached to at the same relative degree of angle and I hold the controller centered and parallel to my torso.

Using the 360, on the other hand, I have to hold the controller off-center and at an angle to my torso due to lack of symmetry in the analog sticks. Makes for a really odd experience. :D

As far as outdated designs go, once a control scheme is perfected, why expect it to change significantly on a year to year basis other than as a way for the platform holders to make more profit on peripherals? Form follows function, diminishing returns, etc., don't expect controllers to keep changing from year to year.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Private Hoffman said:
Uncharted has very little auto-aim/assist, which is why it feels 'loose' and 'imprecise'. Has nothing to do with the controllers, because if you play R2 you will get a completely different feeling. It's similar to controlling PDZ on the 360, which can also feel loose and imprecise.
This could very well be the case. I haven't played R2 yet, and haven't spent an extensive time with an FPS on the PS3. I'm basically gauging this off of the aiming in Uncharted, GTA4 and a shit load of older PS2 shooters (which incidentally use the same controller, but the sticks are a lot tighter, which feels a bit better to me).

Like I said, it's a redundant point anyway. People worry about the controller too much, it's forgotten after a minute or two of play.

Woo-Fu said:
Being human, I exhibit bilateral symmetry, having the analog sticks anything but symmetrical would make for a really odd experience.

After all, my thumbs are the same length, each of them stick out from the hand it is attached to at the same relative degree of angle and I hold the controller centered and parallel to my torso.

Using the 360, on the other hand, I have to hold the controller off-center and at an angle to my torso due to lack of symmetry in the analog sticks. Makes for a really odd experience. :D

As far as outdated designs go, once a control scheme is perfected, why expect it to change significantly on a year to year basis other than as a way for the platform holders to make more profit on peripherals? Form follows function, diminishing returns, etc., don't expect controllers to keep changing from year to year.
Well yeah, look, like I said in the rest of my post. It doesn't really bother me outside of a couple of minutes of play. Just give me a piece of plastic with some buttons placed on it and I'll work it out eventually. It's all good.

Schrade

Teknoman said:
Kinda late, but when are Gamestops or wherever going to start giving the demo keys?
Uh... now? I reserved my copy 2 days ago and got the code.

I didn't bother to check to see if there's a collector's edition though.. hope there is one.

hulot

MvmntInGrn said:
The 360 pad may be easier to learn since the DS3 has a larger deadzone on the sticks(well more than 360, but I think it is less than the DS2). Learning to control an FPS smoothly takes more time but I like the control on the DS3 very much, if you don't thats fine but that doesn't mean the DS3 is trash for FPS games.
This is really the only problem with the DS3.

Fizzle

Private Hoffman said:
deferred rendering isn't exactly a new concept. so, just because a game uses deferred rendering does not mean that it will look similarly to killzone 2.

I know that, but it's new on the PS3, other than KZ2/GG. Didn't know any other dev's would use it, from when i last time read about it, it sacrifices stuff game artist's won't like.

Although I need to rewatch the Infamous footage, just to see if i can spot some advantages by using this.

Kittonwy

Banned
Fizzle said:
They just happen to use the same style of rendering?

Cool.

They use the same development tools (edge toolz).
Indifferent2.gif

Zen

Banned
Is it bannable to ask why?

His post history doesn't seem to indicate a ban.

Anyway, I wish KZ2 was coming out at the end of this month. So close yet so far.

dfyb

Banned
he probably got banned for the comment about variety being owned by microsoft. would be similar to my 3 month ban for pointing out penny arcade's negative opinion about MGS. my ban reason was "CONSPIRACY!" despite me explicitly stating i didn't think there was any conspiracy.

edit: this was shortly before the launch of MGS4 and there were probably like 20 people banned for that thread for related reasons. see a pattern?

Truespeed

Zen said:
Is it bannable to ask why?

His post history doesn't seem to indicate a ban.

Anyway, I wish KZ2 was coming out at the end of this month. So close yet so far.

Possibly. Although, it would be ironic to be banned for asking why Wollan was banned - in a Alanis Morisette kind of way. Look at the first post. He overstepped his bounds, but that's what love does sometimes.

DMeisterJ

Banned
:'( @ Wollan

But the Official KZ2 thread will be epic nonetheless.

I have faith in BruceLeeRoy (Did you see the MGS4 thread?).

Oh well, he gets a whole level named after him! :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
He spread baseless misinformation at the start of a thread, then didn't back it up. It lead to a huge shit storm. Wollan in general seems alright, but that was not cool.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
Truespeed said:
I keep hearing that and then I think of GOW 2. Killzone wasn't limited by the PS2, it was limited by Guerrilla. For those of you that think that Killzone 2 is a complete Guerrilla effort - it's not. Killzone 2 is the culmination of a worldwide effort by Sony assets and employee's. I shudder to think how Killzone 2 would have turned out had Sony not bought Guerrilla and injected their people and tech into the project.

This is unmitigated shite.

The tech team behind the game engine was comprehensively Guerrilla Games, the Game and Level design teams ditto. The cinematics, music and sound engineering were based out of Amsterdam. The online team was in the same building and consisted of either old Guerrilla hands or newly hired employees. Creative control was based in Amsterdam and all three of the major players were old Guerrilla hands.

That's not to say that all the work was solely done from Amsterdam - there was offsite work and collaboration with other studios - but to suggest that Sony parachuted in a creative team to lead the effort at Amsterdam, or that the meat of the work was done elsewhere is Grade-A tosspottery.

I call Shennanigan's.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Not sure how many of you are in South Florida but we've got a bunch of the demos keys down here now all over the place.

I didn't get the chance today, gonna stop in early tomorrow. You all should do the same if you haven't already, not sure how long these things stick around.

mittelos

kozmo7 said:
Not sure how many of you are in South Florida but we've got a bunch of the demos keys down here now all over the place.

I didn't get the chance today, gonna stop in early tomorrow. You all should do the same if you haven't already, not sure how long these things stick around.
I'm stopping by my local Gamestop tomorrow- don't want to miss this demo.

lupinko

Iain Howe said:
Truespeed said:
I keep hearing that and then I think of GOW 2. Killzone wasn't limited by the PS2, it was limited by Guerrilla. For those of you that think that Killzone 2 is a complete Guerrilla effort - it's not. Killzone 2 is the culmination of a worldwide effort by Sony assets and employee's. I shudder to think how Killzone 2 would have turned out had Sony not bought Guerrilla and injected their people and tech into the project.

The tech team behind the game engine was comprehensively Guerrilla Games, the Game and Level design teams ditto. The cinematics, music and sound engineering were based out of Amsterdam. The online team was in the same building and consisted of either old Guerrilla hands or newly hired employees. Creative control was based in Amsterdam and all three of the major players were old Guerrilla hands.

That's not to say that all the work was solely done from Amsterdam - there was offsite work and collaboration with other studios - but to suggest that Sony parachuted in a creative team to lead the effort at Amsterdam, or that the meat of the work was done elsewhere is Grade-A tosspottery.

I call Shennanigan's.

Ouch, pwned.

dfyb

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
So everybody gets their code tomorrow, but that code won't work until Febuary 3rd. what's the point of having them so early?
i thought the demo was coming tomorrow...? if it's coming feb 3rd, i don't really care.

dfyb said:
i thought the demo was coming tomorrow...? if it's coming feb 3rd, i don't really care.

If you pre order from Gamestop or EB (the online stores) they won't send you the code until February 3rd. So it's not going to start until around that time.

Truespeed

Iain Howe said:

I call Shennanigan's.

You really want to know what "unmitigated shite" is? It's when you contradict yourself repeatedly.

"there was offsite work"

"was offsite work"

"offsite work"

"collaboration with other studios "

"with other studios"

"other studios"

As for suggesting Sony "parachuted in a creative team to lead the effort at Amsterdam" ala Epic - well, that was just an unmitigated shite inference you created to back up your other inferences.

gantz85

Banned
Truespeed said:
You really want to know what "unmitigated shite" is? It's when you contradict yourself repeatedly.

"there was offsite work"

"was offsite work"

"offsite work"

"with other studios"

"other studios"

As for suggesting Sony "parachuted in a creative team to lead the effort at Amsterdam" ala Epic - well, that was just an unmitigated shite inference you created to back up your other inferences.

I think you're being a fucking stupid asshead.

You insinuated that KZ2 would be nothing without Sony, and insinuated that the PRIMARY reason why KZ2 is as it is is because of Sony's insertion of tech and personnel into the project.

What Iain Howie simply replied to was that the CORE of KZ2 technology and game design were still "old Guerilla hands", that the main men behind KZ2 were from Guerilla. This DOES NOT deny Sony's involvement and help with KZ2 -- how could he, since Sony has a WWS program going on?

The secondary point you made was that KZ2 was not a "complete" Guerilla effort -- well fuck me, even Gears of War wasn't a complete Epic effort. There were plenty of pieces outsourced out to teams, and one of those independent teams even made the Superacrobatic Cars game on PSN.

Outsourcing is common now for games, but that doesn't diminish the capacity or achievements of the developer.

To sum, let's not mince words. Your main point was that KZ2 is as it is now mainly because of Sony and that Guerilla had little to nothing to do with it.

Iain Howie, someone who WORKED IN Guerilla Games, argued that the key staff behind KZ2 (including tech) were still old Guerilla hands.

You got owned, and now, because of your limited intelligence, are mixing up your initial points of attack. Let go, baby boy.

KZObsessed

There's no contradiction there. He openly admitted that other studios have done some work for Killzone 2. We know for a fact Cambridge had some guys work on the game, as did Sony London I think (mentioned in an interview IIRC). But what he's saying is "unmitigated shite" is your insinuation that the credit for the quality of Killzone 2 should be give to Sony's other studios and not Guerrilla. Which is just pure bullshit as the core of each team that made the game were "old Guerrilla hands" or are new members of Guerrilla who are based in Amsterdam.

edit: beaten :p

To pile on, "offsite work" also entails things like mo-capping, studio voice over recording (though if I remember KZ2 had the voice and mo-capping done in tandem), to Foley work in addition to stuff mentioned before.

WinFonda

Truespeed said:

"there was offsite work"

"was offsite work"

"offsite work"

"with other studios"

"other studios"

What point are you trying to make? That Guerilla is incompetent? That this isn't their game? His first paragraph spelled it our pretty well for you. I guess that explains why you all but ignored it.

I just don't know what answer you're looking for. He gave you an honest response and now you're implying he's being sneaky and trying to cover shit up. Believe whatever you want, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom