• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
CrushDance said:
I do. But it will happen, and the ensuing storm will be interesting to watch. I've always found it as almost an insult to developers when a review comments on another games feature and docking the other for not having it.

I know. But to be honest, you got to have some balls to complain. I mean, in all honesty, Killzone 2 is a game introduced as a potential technical achievement back in 2005 and everyone would have been happy with having just that: an ok FPS with awesome ZOMG graphics. But it turned out to be much, much more than that. To the point the graphics really account for a very tiny part of the overall awesomeness. They support the fun. They don't hide the lack of it. That's the thing that impressed me the most.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Baloonatic said:
I'm saving up as we speak, the number of exclusives I want to play has hit critical mass. I loved Forbidden Siren 1 and 2 so I'm very interested in the PS3 version.
I can't gush about Siren enough. If you've ever enjoyed any Japanese horror title before (like the Silent Hill series), then Siren: New Translation is a must play.

The episodic formula it takes is absolutely outstanding, I'd love to see more games take the same approach.

Haunted said:
Ah, the famous European leaks. :lol

Around 200 million (€ or $, I don't know) and a minimum of 4 years (unveiled 05) last I heard.

Thats absurd. You probably added an extra 0 by mistake. The last credible figure I heard was 21 Mill, but also think there were news reports out saying that it had doubled. Cant be too sure.

Much lower than 200 Mill though.

Haunted said:

Around 200 million (€ or $, I don't know) and a minimum of 4 years (unveiled 05) last I heard.

Interesting. It certainly does show. I guess some of this tech can be shared with other PS3 devs, right?

Rez>You said:
Buy one, then buy this, MGS4, Uncharted, LBP and Siren.

You won't regret it. ;)

Although not having the expendable cash at the moment would put a damper on such a brilliant plan.

Don't forget Warhawk, WipEout HD, Super Stardust HD, Crash Commando and Motorstorm:pR :D

Dante said:
I am kinda curious what some KZ2 fans thought of the FEAR 2 demo, I gotta admit it affected my enjoyment of the demo. I gotta say the animation, weight, and movement of the gun and body are what affected me the most.
I was never in the beta, but I did get Qore this month.

I have to agree on all counts, the game looked great, but in my mind I kept playing KZ2 over and over. When i turned on the flashlight I kinda of smirked at how the light didn't change at all when hitting different objects, the sounds of the weapons also felt weak. But the thing that I actually laughed about was when I used the sniper rifle to kill the beam laser guy, I compare dit to the KZ2 scope right away and burst out laughing. It wasn't affected by anything and I felt that I could have made the shots without it.
-----------------
That aside. I think that Fear 2 is a great game on its own and I am interested in it. I never played Fear 1, although I heard a lot about it in PC circles early on and how great it looked, even apparently on consoles to.
There were times that I got scared when those apparitions appeared and when I encountered Alma at the beginning. I am really interested in the story and will pick up Fear 1 later on to immerse myself further.

I think it's important to remember that all games go for different things. Like I said earlier, it's not really fair to compare different games negatively for the things that one doesn't.

Fear isn't a bad looking game, unplayable, crappy or anything. It just doesn't go for the visual beating that Killzone does. And that's perfectly fine, the atmosphere I got from Fear was really great in terms of creepiness and isolation. Killzone gives an atmosphere of chaos and war that requires high quality sound and visuals to deliver its message.

Different games, but both great games.

deepbrown

iamcool388 said:
Thats absurd. You probably added an extra 0 by mistake. The last credible figure I heard was 21 Mill, but also think there were news reports out saying that it had doubled. Cant be too sure.

Lol no where near 200 million. Tops would be 60 million.

FirewalkR

Haunted said:

You meant 20, right? :)

Those were the first "leaked" numbers I think. I read about higher values later on, though.

Haunted said:

iamcool388 said:

You added a zero Haunted :p

Ever since the fake video of E3 2005, there has been no news of Killzone. Now, Dutch developer Guerilla Games has revealed some details to a Dutch news paper Volkrant, saying the game will cost more than the most expensive movie in the country, Black Book, which cost over $21 million. The real budged for Killzone wasn’t revealed, but Guerilla said there are over 120 people working on the project. The game will be translated into 20 different languages, which will improve sales by up to 40 percent (according to Guerilla). Downloadable content was also mentioned, where gamers will be able to purchase further content.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Baloonatic said:
Interesting. It certainly does show. I guess some of this tech can be shared with other PS3 devs, right?

Most certainly. The devs at Guerilla know the PS3 almost inside and out, so even if the tech is not sharable, they can teach others how to properly use the PS3s power.

Rez>You said:
It's going to be interesting to see what direction they take.

If they give the game a high score, then they will be seen as caving in to the collective pressure of the GAF, if they give the game a low score, they will be seen as biased.

In a way, I feel sorry for them.

Who am I kidding, I can't wait to see those guys burn.

You know what, I'm going to go out here on a limb and predict that GamesRadar gives KZ2 a 9 or a 10.

And here's why:

A) They don't underrate PS3 games. Sure, they may show signs of hyping 360 games differently than PS3 games (KZ2 double standards, LittleBigPlanet powerpoint tool, etc)....but, come review time, they seem to be pretty unbiased. LBP got a 10, and Resistance 2 got a 9.

B) The guy that's likely reviewing it loves it more than R2...and they gave it a 9 (obviously, it could be different reviewers but whatever).

Sure, I may not be a fan of the way they cover games in general, but in all honesty I don't hate GamesRadar at all. I just don't like some of their tactics and the way they cover things...but they do it for the lulz most of the time, and that's their schtick so whatever.

hitoshi

amar212 said:
Well, I can presume you didn't, because GamePlay is strictly Croatian magazine, published on Croatian language, with almost a 10 year tradition (before it was just console magazine, now it's multiplatform, with GP name for last 7 years respectfully).

It has a steady circulation around 20.000, and it's mostly read in Croatia and some neighboring countries that we partially share language with. I can presume it's similar situation with the Hungarian 575 Mag, which is published in Hungarian as I can see.

Also, since Croatia and Hungary are neighboring countries - and we share some very decent pieces of history together (Croatia was a part of Austro-Hungarian Kingdom back in history), I use this opportunity to say hello to Hungarian colleague :D

Hello aswell, It's nice to see a neighbour from time to time :) I totally agree, these are magazines sold for a specific region or country, there is absolutely zero chance that you'll ever hear about them. But that does not mean that they should be categorized as untrustworthy or not professional. Thanks to the local or regional reps, we have nearly everything western magazines do: invitations to every events possible, early preview and review copies, exclusive covers, for example Red Alert 3 had it's world debut in a Hungarian magazine thanks to a little error :)

Dante said:
I am kinda curious what some KZ2 fans thought of the FEAR 2 demo, I gotta admit it affected my enjoyment of the demo. I gotta say the animation, weight, and movement of the gun and body are what affected me the most.

I kept hearing nothing but praise for this franchise, easpecially from that one 1up guy.

I thought Fear 2 was complete garbage. I played the Qore demo and was not impressed at all....especially coming out of the KZ2 beta.

But even if I hadn't played the KZ2 beta, I would not have been impressed. It's not anywhere near as good as R2 as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not exactly the BIGGEST R2 fan around (good game, but not GREAT). FEAR 2 is just plain bad to me.

It felt very sterile and ugly to me. I hated the way it moved. Once you get used to the way KZ2 handles, you don't want to go back.

Xater

hitoshi said:
My review was released also last Thursday

576 KByte (Hungary)
Killzone 2 review

Graphics: 5 (out of 5)
Playability: 5 (out of 5)
Lasting Appeal: 4 (out of 5)
Music / sounds: 5 (out of 5)

Overall: 9.7 (out of 10)

"Killzone 2 is one of the most gorgeous and atmospheric FPS ever released, surprassing easily everything the PS3 has to offer. It's easily one of the best games of 2009. What will happen with the franchise in the future? We hope that it will be successful, reaching heights of happines never reached before and bringing a real conclusion to the unfinished saga. When and how it will happen? Only God knows - he likes to be called Guerilla Games nowdays"

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6425/576kjanas7.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

What an odd name for a gaming magazine. Do you know the history behind it? I am genuinly interested.

Sorry for OT guys. ;)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
hitoshi said:
Take the main RAM of the Amiga 500 (512 KByte) and add the main RAM of the C64 (64 KByte) to it and there you go :)

I assume it was a mag dedicated to Commodore home computers back in the days? Does it run since then? Wow if so.

Dante

Private Hoffman said:
I thought Fear 2 was complete garbage. I played the Qore demo and was not impressed at all....especially coming out of the KZ2 beta.

But even if I hadn't played the KZ2 beta, I would not have been impressed. It's not anywhere near as good as R2 as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not exactly the BIGGEST R2 fan around (good game, but not GREAT). FEAR 2 is just plain bad to me.

It felt very sterile and ugly to me.

So where does all the "Shawm Eliott" AI praise come from, because what I played was pretty Mediocre at best.

hitoshi

TTP said:
I guess it was a mag dedicated to Commodore home computers back in the days? Does it run since then? Wow if so.

Something like that, the first issue was released in 1990 with C64 and Amiga reviews, guides. It ran till the end of 2002. We started a console only magazine in '97, it ran till 2008/10. Then we merged the two together, creating a multiplatform magazine in November, that's how the brand got resurrected. It is funded by the 576 KByte Shop which is a huge and renowned VG chain in Hungary with over 14 shops all over the country.

spwolf

hitoshi said:
Hello aswell, It's nice to see a neighbour from time to time :) I totally agree, these are magazines sold for a specific region or country, there is absolutely zero chance that you'll ever hear about them. But that does not mean that they should be categorized as untrustworthy or not professional. Thanks to the local or regional reps, we have nearly everything western magazines do: invitations to every events possible, early preview and review copies, exclusive covers, for example Red Alert 3 had it's world debut in a Hungarian magazine thanks to a little error :)

hey neighbors :).

In fact, these smaller mags usually publish more trustworthy reviews due to much smaller pressure from publishers, as it is mostly hardware companies that advertise... i dont read croatian gamepro (maybe got it once) but i do remember that their opinions were considered trustworthy, and i dont believe they give out easy scores.

Dante said:
So where does all the "Shawm Eliott" AI praise come from, because what I played was pretty Mediocre at best.

I have absolutely no idea.

Honestly, it almost looked and felt like a last-gen game to me. Very ugly graphics. The AI was awful, the way it moved just felt lacking and sterile...the presentation was terrible...I had no idea what the story was about or what was going on, and it just has these 'flashbacks' thrown about as if its supposed to mean something (I guess because other games did it and made it cool, that means FEAR 2 can do it?).

If Shawn Elliot was praising that game, well...I don't think too highly of his opinions. There's very little praise I can give that game at all. I didn't have any fun playing through that demo.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dante said:
To be completely fair he praised the original FEAR's AI, along with many other people in the gaming media and community.

I haven't actually played either game, so I can't fairly judge.

Xater

hitoshi said:
Something like that, the first issue was released in 1990 with C64 and Amiga reviews, guides. It ran till the end of 2002. We started a console only magazine in '97, it ran till 2008/10. Then we merged the two together, creating a multiplatform magazine in November, that's how the brand got resurrected. It is funded by the 576 KByte Shop which is a huge and renowned VG chain in Hungary with over 14 shops all over the country.

Thanks.

Odd name non the less but it seems to make sense. :D

@FEAR: The FEAR AI was awesome but the game had alot of other problems. You can see some of the great AI in the demo of FEAR 2 if you actually give them time to use the environment.

Private Hoffman said:
I have absolutely no idea.

Honestly, it almost looked and felt like a last-gen game to me. Very ugly graphics. The AI was awful, the way it moved just felt lacking and sterile...the presentation was terrible...I had no idea what the story was about or what was going on, and it just has these 'flashbacks' thrown about as if its supposed to mean something (I guess because other games did it and made it cool, that means FEAR 2 can do it?).

If Shawn Elliot was praising that game, well...I don't think too highly of his opinions. There's very little praise I can give that game at all. I didn't have any fun playing through that demo.

1) Are you kidding me? When you started following Alma it looked like a last gen game? Did you look up at the sky? Textures?

2) The game is not ugly. Besides that's subjective, I would personally call R2 an ugly but fun game.

3) The AI was not terrible, they hid behind objects and never ran towards you but rather kept behind cover while moving forward. Play on a higher difficulty.

4) It controlled fine Hoffman. I never got into the KZ2 beta so i can't compare the controls, but there was no problem with it at all. besides I'd say my opinion on the controls is of more value as I haven't touched KZ2 and cannot compare or have any bias. It felt just as good as any other shooter on PS3.

5) No it wasn't, did you really not like the atmosphere when you went into the school? When you first started walking? The ruined city and isolation? Come on man.

6) I didn't get the majority of what the flashbacks were referencing either, but is it so hard to believe it may be referring to Fear 1? Just a thought.

And this is exactly what I mean by terrible comparisons and cross contamination of games. What you're basically saying is that because it doesn't do everything KZ does that it's a terrible game. You even used that word to describe it! Are you kidding me? It's a solid shooting game with a very interesting atmosphere that actually got me interested in the series.

Your analysis is wrong this time Hoffman. I seriously disagree with prejudice.

Flunkie

Banned
FEAR 1 AI > FEAR 2 AI

The environments, level design, etc. in FEAR 1 was set up way better to fully utilize the brilliant AI. FEAR 2 feels like a claustrophobic trainwreck on stilts.

CrushDance said:
1) Are you kidding me? When you started following Alma it looked like a last gen game? Did you look up at the sky? Textures?

2) The game is not ugly. Besides that's subjective, I would personally call R2 an ugly but fun game.

3) The AI was not terrible, they hid behind objects and never ran towards you but rather kept behind cover while moving forward. Play on a higher difficulty.

4) It controlled fine Hoffman. I never got into the KZ2 beta so i can't compare the controls, but there was no problem with it at all. besides I'd say my opinion on the controls is of more value as I haven't touched KZ2 and cannot compare or have any bias. It felt just as good as any other shooter on PS3.

5) No it wasn't, did you really not like the atmosphere when you went into the school? When you first started walking? The ruined city and isolation? Come on man.

6) I didn't get the majority of what the flashbacks were referencing either, but is it so hard to believe it may be referring to Fear 1? Just a thought.

And this is exactly what I mean by terrible comparisons and cross contamination of games. What you're basically saying is that because it doesn't do everything KZ does that it's a terrible game. You even used that word to describe it! Are you kidding me? It's a solid shooting game with a very interesting atmosphere that actually got me interested in the series.

Your analysis is wrong this time Hoffman. I seriously disagree with prejudice.

It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it's not KZ2...I just don't find it to be a compelling game at all. And yes, I think the graphics are pretty horrid. It doesn't seem like it's running in proper 720p, very bad framerate issues...textures? What textures. It looked worse than a source engine game like L4D...similar style and look to it. Very flat and plain looking.

It seems closer, in a sense, to BioShock...but BioShock did this type of game MUCH, MUCH better.

During SOME moments, the atmosphere seemed pretty cool (the lockers, for instance)....but it felt very jarring and incoherent. Very disorganized with little direction at all. Not to mention all of the areas were very, very confined.

But if you enjoy the game, more power to you. I was just very underwhelmed. And I don't think my opinion would change even if I hadn't played KZ2 to compare it to (which, honestly you can't because they're not really similar games).

Xater

Flunkie said:
FEAR 1 AI > FEAR 2 AI

The environments, level design, etc. in FEAR 1 was set up way better to fully utilize the brilliant AI. FEAR 2 feels like a claustrophobic trainwreck on stilts.

Judging the level design of the whole game on just one level doesn't seem like a good idea...

Can we get back to Killzone 2 btw? :lol

When was the offcial reviewm embargo up again?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Xater said:
Judging the level design of the whole game on just one level doesn't seem like a good idea...

Can we get back to Killzone 2 btw? :lol

When was the offcial reviewm embargo up again?
I think the net embargo is something like a week before launch, although I'm sure TTP or someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Azzwanker

Banned
iamcool388 said:

Indeed my friend. It was 21mill. Who said 200mill must be dumb. Do u know how much 200mill is?:D

Private Hoffman said:
It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it's not KZ2...I just don't find it to be a compelling game at all. And yes, I think the graphics are pretty horrid. It doesn't seem like it's running in proper 720p, very bad framerate issues...textures? What textures. It looked worse than a source engine game like L4D...similar style and look to it. Very flat and plain looking.

It seems closer, in a sense, to BioShock...but BioShock did this type of game MUCH, MUCH better.

During SOME moments, the atmosphere seemed pretty cool (the lockers, for instance)....but it felt very jarring and incoherent. Very disorganized with little direction at all. Not to mention all of the areas were very, very confined.

But if you enjoy the game, more power to you. I was just very underwhelmed. And I don't think my opinion would change even if I hadn't played KZ2 to compare it to (which, honestly you can't because they're not really similar games).
That's fine if you didn't dig it, but millions of people will when it's released as they did before with Fear 1. I totally agree that the graphics bar has raised since 2008 and will again come February. But the game is much more than graphics to me anyways.

I don't mind if you didn't like it. But saying it's trash is really out there.

But! enough bickering. KZ2 is what this threads about!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
iamcool388 said:
I think I read somewhere its the 2nd or 3rd of February.
Wasn't that debunked? I could've sworn that was just when we're going to see yet another round of previews.

Rez>You said:
Wasn't that debunked? I could've sworn that was just when we're going to see yet another round of previews.

I heard that February 2nd was when the embargo lifted for showing more footage of the final build (I'm assuming we'll see stuff from other levels and more multiplayer map footage)

But I also think that one of the IGN guys said their review was hitting up that early, too. Maybe they have an exclusive review or something.

Xater

Private Hoffman said:
I heard that February 2nd was when the embargo lifted for showing more footage of the final build (I'm assuming we'll see stuff from other levels and more multiplayer map footage)

But I also think that one of the IGN guys said their review was hitting up that early, too. Maybe they have an exclusive review or something.

I'd like to see some more multiplayer stuff. I saw almost nothing so far.

amar212

Xater said:
I'd like to see some more multiplayer stuff. I saw almost nothing so far.

Because online was very hard to play due to fact there was not people enough to play at all. Also notice I didn't realise I have to change my DNS settings in order to conect to online servers for more than 12 days of having the review code :D

And I can safely presume that nobody who got the press-kit didn't actually care to browse separate artworks disc which actually contains the DNS settings for online hidden between other folders. Only thing that mattered was game-disc, so I guess majority of reviewers still do not realise that artwork disc hides "DNS-adress secret" fot online play.

pseudocaesar said:
Yes but will these reviews be counted towards the MC/GR average?

I know PSXExtreme is counted on Metacritic. Their reviews are well written and I generally find the arguments in their reviews mostly reasonable, even if I find that I end up disagreeing with them.

Good site, check it out.

ChryZ

So I made a few animated avatars. First come, first served:

ih1n2p.gif

33eh3th.gif

2n9kdtw.gif

4iko3t.gif

6oer1h.gif

2ptcrxs.gif

11sp7x4.gif

9kxro5.gif

e1dfef.gif

2n0k7pd.gif

2cwq1dw.gif

x6cyh4.gif

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
FirewalkR said:
There. Another site claiming Feb 2... so weird. Blim claims it's Feb 20+. Is it region-dependent?

It wouldn't make sense to have different online embargos based on regions. Feb 2nd is the date worldwide AFAIK.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Dante said:

that was another groupthink from the gaming media back when F.E.A.R. came out, namely that it had great AI.

I played F.E.A.R. It didn't have great AI. Example: I see a guard, he sees me, he comes for me, I drop a mine and back up, guard steps on mine.

The guard could see the mine as easily as I could and the guard had a ranged weapon, yet he still decided to a) close to melee with me while walking over a mine, instead of b) using his ranged weapon on the mine or on me.

I can come up with more examples all day long. People who think the AI in FEAR was anything special should go back and play Half-life, specifically the parts where you face the marine squads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom