• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Beta Details (Starts 10/25, requires PS+, only 10k spots open)

BeeDog

Just tried a bot match for a couple of minutes. Since I haven't played KZ2 nearly enough to go into balancing or whatever (others have already done an excellent job on it), I'll just point some thoughts:

- The sound is beastly. I'd say even better than Bad Company 2 on my setup. The new weapon sounds are freaking awesome.
- The graphics are excellent, but they do need to fix the FPS. Thankfully, the absence of QAA makes the textures look great up close, but MLAA has some aliasing issues in this game. I hope this can be improved.
- The controls are much better than KZ2 in my humble opinion.
- You die way too easily, I feel.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Here's my thoughts:

Ridiculous graphics
Ridiculous sound
Ridiculous controls (MUCH better than KZ2)

Negative things:

- I haven't played KZ2 mp a minute and I still top my team. Six times in a row, different games. wat.

Thrakier

Framerate is horrible, Lag is horrible. Botzone is better in both, obviously. If they can match Botzone online, there is hope. If not...brrr...

Oh, too much grain.

Erasus

Cant even get online so I tried a bot match.

-Classes are much better, more unlocks
-MOAR GUNZ
-Game looks amazing (It rivals most PC games imo)
-The framerate however, is not so amazing :(
-I´ll be playing the medic, I HAZ A DRONE!

Rikyfree

Erasus said:
Cant even get online so I tried a bot match.

-Classes are much better, more unlocks- I agree with this, also change around what they do.
-MOAR GUNZ- Done already. There are quite a few weapons that are not in the beta.
-Game looks amazing (It rivals most PC games imo)
-The framerate however, is not so amazing :( - I'd count on it being worked on till release. This isn't even really beta level code we're playing.
-I´ll be playing the medic, I HAZ A DRONE!- Medics 4 LYFE!

Tucah

you speak so well
Played a few rounds - note that I've never played a Killzone game before.

- Classes are fun, I'm liking Infiltrator a lot
- The maps are pretty nice
- Absolutely awful framerate and default controls - alternative is much better
- Graphics are fantastic

It's definitely a ton of fun, I can't wait to try the full product with Move.

DMeisterJ said:
Maybe he popped in KZ2 by accident.

I seriously cannot aim for crap in this game. And if you can't get the first shot, then you are pretty much dead because of the low health.

I just popped in KZ2 right now and immediately went 8 and 1. Firing from the hip just seems so much simpler in this game.

jorma

is now taking requests
Well it's very pretty and i think it handles better than kz2 but the framerate issues makes it dificult to play.

Couple more observations:

1. GG nerfed the sta14. No more pinpoint accuracy, significantly reduced power, and limited visibility due to the giant scope that can't be removed.
2. Sprinting stamina is way too low. What was the point of changing that? It only makes getting across maps super annoying now.

yay, I guess thanks to the indian PS Store leak we finally have enough players to actually test this game.
All my Warzone games were filled :) sucks that I'm apparently in the teams that have no idea what they are doing (+ it's still something like 8 vs. 12 sometimes)

BeeDog

Just had a game on that "generator" map, and the framerate is seriously abysmal. Makes it hard to play properly. And the lack of the awesome KZ2 motion blur is a serious disappointment.

No_Style

I've only played matches on the Dam? (The one with the snow) and I've only played small matches. My initial impressions are really positive though.

Love how it feels and flows; it reminds me a lot of early KZ2 MP. Keep in mind I've only played with like 8 players on the map. I wonder how things will fare with more players.

The lack of recoil is a bit silly though -- reminds me of MW2's ACR. And circle strafing seems to undo many players I've faced.

<3 lack of aim assist

So which class can summon mortar strikes? I foresee bad things with mechs, jetpacks, bots and mortar strikes if things aren't kept in check. :/

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No_Style said:
The lack of recoil is a bit silly though -- reminds me of MW2's ACR. And circle strafing seems to undo many players I've faced.

Must be playing a different KZ3 beta than me, hip fire has recoil. ADS seemed to have recoil but I wasn't checking for it.

Over all, I'm a lot happier they fixed the controls in KZ3 than anything else they changed (SMH @ Matchmaking) Mech are kinda hit and miss, but so long as they keep them in check or have the ability to remove them, I'm fine with them.

Over all, the beta turned me from "KZ2 sucked because you had to fight the controls, why the fuck would I give a damn about KZ3?" into "Okay, I'm half-interested since the controls are fixed."

Too bad there is no one but hardcore people playing now, I wanted to try the objective with cutscenes mode. :(

No_Style said:
I've only played matches on the Dam? (The one with the snow) and I've only played small matches.

I admit this is kinda "hidden", but you can switch the game modes. The default option is just TDM (which only has the snow map) and I think many people don't realize they can select a different mode here by pressing left or right.
(probably the reason why only TDM was popular before today)

dorkimoe

Gold Member
SolidusDave said:
I admit this is kinda "hidden", but you can switch the game modes. The default option is just TDM (which only has the snow map) and I think many people don't realize they can select a different mode here by pressing left or right.

it took me like 3 games to realize this, kind of stupid. it was like 1 am when i got the beta so didnt get to play anything but the small warzone. cant wait to see the other maps

dwin45

The game feels almost nothing like Call of Duty. I don't know why people keep comparing the two. Other than the fact that ADS is way more accurate than hip-firing, the two are not very similar. The controls and look of the game feel totally different. You still have way more health in this game compared to Call of Duty, too. If they can fix the poor framerate and weapon balancing issues, this game will be awesome.

NeoUltima

From what little I played last night:

-too much filmgrain for my tastes. Hopefully you can tone it down in the final version.
-Framerate ahhh
-Amount of health...wtf. Needs more health, this ain't CoD.

Liked everything else though.

Loudninja

I think we can all agree that you need more health and some guns need to be tone down, that's the only problems I have.The jets packs are really fun and killing some is still so satisfying.

The M224A3 has plenty of recoil love that weapon but the StA11 SMG needs to be tone down, sometimes you cant even hear it when people use it.

TheSeks said:
Too bad there is no one but hardcore people playing now, I wanted to try the objective with cutscenes mode. :(

as I said, all modes got more players at the moment.

just destroyed the dam in a 5 vs 5 operation game

btw. it took me a few matches before I realized there are these stationary rocket turrets on the map with the mechs, I think they have no icon when you get killed by them so I was wondering the whole time why my mech (or just me w/o a mech) was destroyed so fast out of nowhere.

oh and I have yet to experience any camping, only when defending the objectives but that's uhm kinda given.

I skilled the disguise to max (=you don't loose it when you do melee kills) and in my last operation match I killed 4 enemies via brutal melee in a row (all were in one corridor) :lol :lol
To be fair, I approached them from behind and I was lucky that none of them turned around while I was killing their team mates.
Though the last one seemed to be kinda scarred when he noticed (but one ;) ) everyone was suddenly dead behind him :D

edit: ah one question: When you have the jetpack, how do you dash forward?

Loudninja said:
I think we can all agree that you need more health and some guns need to be tone down, that's the only problems I have.The jets packs are really fun and killing some is still so satisfying.

The M224A3 has plenty of recoil love that weapon but the StA11 SMG needs to be tone down, sometimes you cant even hear it when people use it.

I really, really, really like the amount of health each player has. Perfect, IMO.

jett

D-Member
Lagspike_exe said:
And why exactly is that?

Because it's not enjoyable at all with the miniscule amount of health you have, you have no fighting chance, you'll die quite literally in a fraction of a second. It doesn't matter if you have armor on, or extra health on, that's how shitty the health is. Becuase of the low health a lot of the time the games devolve into straight camping. It's just an unbearably annoying game to play that requires little to no aiming skill when spraying bullets like spaz does the job just fine, I cannot fathom someone actually thinking the health is perfect after having put some real time into the game first.

user friendly said:
Tap X, you can dash twice and then there is a warm up period before you can dash forward twice again.

Thanks, I guess that only works while in the air? Because I tried like every possible button ^^

regarding the health... yeah it's a bit low (basically you don't have to bother to go for the head).
I have that more health skill unlocked and equipped, but actually I don't really feel a difference (well, you have that armor thing before that). So if they could just boost the effect of the skill, that would be fine I think.

edit: but again, I saw no one abusing this via camping. Just that you have no chance against mechs etc. :lol
I actually like the lower health sometimes when it's 1 vs. 1, especially as you actually have a chance to kill of a shotgun user almost just as quickly as he can kill you.

This is just taking up space on my HDD at this point. They won't be patching it anymore will they? I wonder what they're going to do for those unhappy with the beta. Seems they're dead set on ADS being the main gunplay, such a shame I can't get into this. Oh well, at least I have my KZ2. GG should've saved it for a new IP.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Medic was my favorite class in KZ2 and I'm not too happy with some of the changes. Why did they get rid of the health pack? Revive+, Revive++ and Trage++ don't sound nearly as helpful. Infilitrator seems completely broken with Disguise+, Disguise++ and Survivalist+. :lol

Good thing this is a 'beta' because these classes need balancing.

EDIT: What does ADS stand for? Also, is KZ3 still going to have unlock mixing?

Massa

ICallItFutile said:
Medic was my favorite class in KZ2 and I'm not too happy with some of the changes. Why did they get rid of the health pack? Revive+, Revive++ and Trage++ don't sound nearly as helpful. Infilitrator seems completely broken with Disguise+, Disguise++ and Survivalist+. :lol

They got rid of the health packs because they're useless now, the game has full regen.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Massa said:
They got rid of the health packs because they're useless now, the game has full regen.

Bleh at full regen. Makes the medic less useful.

If this doesn't have unlock mixing, makes me much less interested in playing.

ICallItFutile said:

They basically changed almost everything I enjoyed about KZ2. It's almost as if they are embarrassed of KZ2 or they are so worried about it being called KZ2.5 so they are just trying to change every little aspect of the game or add more to it without thinking it through. How did some of the stuff even make it into the beta. The red text on the scoreboard, how did they not notice that it's way too hard to read? Wall hack? Infiltrator? Matchmaking? TSP's? Mechs? Level Design? ADS? Recoil? Camping? L O L ... They have time but I don't even think they want to change it from what it is now. It's clear why they have made these changes, I personally hate it.

Massa said:
Which sucks!!

Mooreberg

Well finally got to try this last night thanks to Indian PSN store. :lol

Class changes aren't as drastic as I feared, and the flexibility of load out options is a huge improvement. No longer being stuck with a shotgun as the starting weapon when playing engineer is a dream come true. Secondary options like one shot with the VC9 rocket launcher is cool, and the shotgun pistol kicks ass. Those aspects alone are great additions.

Not sure about those placed turrets with unlimited rocket ammo. Still gotta play a match with a mech being used to see how that pans out, but I believe when people say it is horribly unbalanced at this point. Controls are a lot more responsive.

Are there still badges that are earned throughout multiple games like KZ2 or are they all single game perks like the silent footsteps, faster reloading, faster aiming, and kill bonus?

They definitely took some inspiration from COD with making the XP gains more noticeable and the way the badges work, but it still seems a lot more objective based like Enemy Territory so this could be a pretty happy halfway point. Warzone is still one of the best FPS modes anybody has come up with in some time. Frame rate gets rough but this is old code so I'm sure that gets ironed out well before February 22nd.

I was making good progress in Yakuza 3 but I don't think I'll be playing anything other than this all weekend. :lol

No_Style

SolidusDave said:

I switched to Warzone and it was still small. Granted, I was playing at around 10 AM EST. Will probably put in some more time.

And yes, hip firing does have recoil. I was referring to ADS and the low recoil.

Facism

Lagspike_exe said:
And why exactly is that?

low hp in concert with super-accurate sniper lmgs means many cheap deaths, across a whole map, helps promote camping and cheapens the impact of the player in regards to the objectives due to shorter lifespan.

becomes frustrating to play and every encounter turns into a shitty encounter where whoever fires first wins, helping to completely negate any movement skills that would help you get away or even outdo the other guy, which was present in kz2.

all hand in hand with an over-reliance of ads and you've got the makings of a throwaway, non-competitive game that's seemingly designed to be traded in when the next big game comes out.

-viper-

Banned
It's funny how KZ3 is trying to emulate Call Of Duty so much, yet, Black Ops shits all over this game. KZ3 even has less health than the aforementioned. And BO has more recoil than KZ3.

Which says a lot about the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if KZ3 is a financial disaster. They'll be lucky to sell 1-2 million.

Mooreberg

Well TDM is just like any other shooter - campfest. I'm also having trouble finding Warzone games that have enough people in them.

Black Ops shits all over this game

Call of Duty has better mechanics, but people treating every mode like it is team deathmatch gets boring after a while. Although the same thing could happen to KZ3 if you don't need to rely on the win bonus for leveling up. :-\

Facism said:
low hp in concert with super-accurate sniper lmgs means many cheap deaths, across a whole map, helps promote camping and cheapens the impact of the player in regards to the objectives due to shorter lifespan.

becomes frustrating to play and every encounter turns into a shitty encounter where whoever fires first wins, helping to completely negate any movement skills that would help you get away or even outdo the other guy, which was present in kz2.

all hand in hand with an over-reliance of ads and you've got the makings of a throwaway, non-competitive game that's seemingly designed to be traded in when the next big game comes out.

Couldn't have said it better. This is such a shitty game.

Facism said:

*claps*

My feelings too. There are some very basic things that need a quick change that would do the world of good and then there are some others that will take weeks to sort.

Lince

Banned
Facism said:

becomes frustrating to play and every encounter turns into a shitty encounter where whoever fires first wins, helping to completely negate any movement skills that would help you get away or even outdo the other guy, which was present in kz2

spot on, KZ3 is a design disaster.

Went back to KZ2 to compare:

1. Hip firing is MUCH more accurate
2. Player health much higher
3. Pace is slower, more manageable
4. No SMG/LMG snipers from across the map (seriously pissed me off in KZ3)
5. Maps are superior to those in KZ3.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
KZ2 Lead multiplayer map designer > GONE. KZ2's maps ranged from average to great. KZ3's range from average to bad.
KZ2 Lead multiplayer designer > GONE

That probably has a ton to do with KZ3 being shit so far.

Top Bottom