• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Beta Details (Starts 10/25, requires PS+, only 10k spots open)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
oneHeero said:
Any for sure ways of getting into the beta at this point?

EDIT: So subscribing to + eh? Can it be any subscription? Do you get access as soon as you subscribe?
Nope, the only guaranteed way is if you're an official SCEE beta tester and those emails got sent out a week ago. As for PS+, that was only available for the first 5,000 N.A./10,000 Euro PS+ users who downloaded the Killzone theme posted earlier this week, there's no more PS+ invites left at the moment. They might expand it later and PS+ users might get dibs, but buying plus right now wont get you into the beta.

The Playstation MLG Twitter giveaway ended Monday, the Killzonedotcom Twitter giveaway ended earlier today, and the UGO bullshit is over now. The only other giveaway on the horizon is the 1up giveaway. I'm guessing the PS blog will hold another giveaway next week and maybe Keighley as well if he gets some codes.

oneHeero

Killthee said:
Nope, the only guaranteed way is if you're an official SCEE beta tester and those emails got sent out a week ago. As for PS+, that was only available for the first 5,000 N.A./10,000 Euro PS+ users who downloaded the Killzone theme posted earlier this week, there's no more PS+ invites left at the moment. They might expand it later and PS+ users might get dibs, but buying plus right now wont get you into the beta.

The Playstation MLG Twitter giveaway ended Monday, the Killzonedotcom Twitter giveaway ended earlier today, and the UGO bullshit is over now. The only other giveaway on the horizon is the 1up giveaway. I'm guessing the PS blog will hold another giveaway next week and maybe Keighley as well if he gets some codes.
Appreciate all the info!

See you guys in the future :( I'll be a disadvantage for GAFA (or GAFNA :\) to start since u nubs are in the beta.

demolitio

I consider it a blessing that I don't have to go through that again when 1up does it. I would offer my help with my fast reflexes to some of you if it were possible. Though you would just end up with a second place finish hoping for a typo from the first place guy. :lol

Feel free to add me if any of you want to play next week or just to add me in general. PSN: Demolitio. The same as on here. :D

reKon

Banned
Thunderbear said:
DON'T FIX THIS IT'S FINE AND APPARENTLY IT'S ALL CAPS DAY!

Come on now, Killzone 3 shouldn't have to become this similar to other shooters in the market in terms of gun play. Weapons in FPS's should differentiate from each other in terms how they handle. You shouldn't be able to spray with every smg and assault rifle and have them feel the same. I don't care if the controls/feel stay tight compared to Killzone 2. The recoil shouldn't have been changed that drastically.

X-Frame

Can anyone who's in the beta explain the ribbon system?

Looks like people just continually re-earn ribbons each match, and the ribbons unlock perks in-game?

Graphics are absolutely marvelous.

I hope we start seeing more devs use a 720p buffer for particle effects, etc. later on this gen. Final Fantasy XIII is the only* big budget game I can think of that pulled that off, and the effects in battle gave the game a vividness I have yet to see elsewhere. It's the one last area in which Killzone and the rest could really improve, but I guess the trade-offs just aren't worth it.

*Except maybe Uncharted 2. I can't really remember.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Goddamn you guys. If I had children, I would give them away in exchange for a beta pass. I fucking loved Killzone 2 and it's probably my favorite MP game of the gen so I should be in this. I need it. Gorilla Games, if you're reading this, shame on you for not letting me in.

Yoboman

Killthee said:
eyelevel.jpg

butt...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
you're not looking through the eyes of your dude, you're looking through the eyes of his gun

it's necessary because Killzone guns look so hot and you need that shit front and center

DoomGyver

Midget cam never bothered me, what's the big deal?

I still have to get a few KZ2 dlc trophies, not sure why I haven't gotten to that yet. Something to get me ready for the beta :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lagspike_exe said:
I think we need to start spamming other threads in gaming with these gifs. Let them bath in the glory of Killzone!

I don't think they're ready for it yet. The brilliance of KZ3 will disrupt the whole system, it'll be chaos.

Negaiido

Whats with the clan browse menu? I don't see anyone in the GAF clan. I've had some internet problems so I've not been online a lot. But I hope we can do some matches soon.

Tunin

Wish I could at least enter the 'alpha' :(
Anyone good hearted enough to send me an invite? PSNID: rltonin ... :D?

NOOOOT :(

spats

kyo_daikun said:
So what date are the european + invites going out?
Monday if I'm not mistaken.

If you’re among the first 10,000 to download the Killzone 3 XMB Theme, you will receive an email on October 25th containing the Public Beta Trial promotion code and further instructions. The email will be sent to the address you registered as your PSN Sign-In ID, so make sure you’ve set your notification preferences to accept emails from SCEE.

Wow, I love how the Higgs eye light goes out when it is punctured by the knife. A cool effect but I really hope that it is missiing when you pull that off on an ISA engi.

mr_nothin

Banned
From the videos I've seen, it looks like you have to earn "perks" in each game in order to use them. Seems like a cool twist. I hope it's like that

X-Frame

mr_nothin said:
From the videos I've seen, it looks like you have to earn "perks" in each game in order to use them. Seems like a cool twist. I hope it's like that

That's what I was asking about -- but the thing is .. if the ribbons you earn produce perks then what is stopping people from avoiding objectives at some points during a match just to continually shoot to obtain more ribbons?

I'm totally fine with being able to gain ribbons each match (like Warhawk), as opposed to KZ2 where once you fulfilled your medal requirements you never received a ribbon again -- but (and correct me if I'm wrong) if the ribbons are giving people special perks/abilities then I don't know if I like that ..

mr_nothin

Banned
X-Frame said:
That's what I was asking about -- but the thing is .. if the ribbons you earn produce perks then what is stopping people from avoiding objectives at some points during a match just to continually shoot to obtain more ribbons?

I'm totally fine with being able to gain ribbons each match (like Warhawk), as opposed to KZ2 where once you fulfilled your medal requirements you never received a ribbon again -- but (and correct me if I'm wrong) if the ribbons are giving people special perks/abilities then I don't know if I like that ..
Well it might not be that you only gain the ribbons/perks by killing. Maybe it's point based ala scorestreaks in MoH. Point based ribbons/perks that you earn for the duration of the current game could be pretty cool.

EDIT:
Wow that sentence was broken as hell...

mr_nothin said:
Well it might not at you only gain the ribbons/perks by killing? Maybe it's points based ala scorestreaks in MoH. Point based ribbons/perks per game could be pretty cool.

If you played Battlefront 2, it is a similar system that certain tasks in one match gain abilities for that match, but once that match is done you'll need to re-earn them the next.

Man

i-Lo said:
Controls.. controls... aiming controls... lag? .... Anyone ?
They're perfect now. My experience estimates a 50ms shave (making it 100ms which is near bottom for 30fps games).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Wait.... a Beta is supposed to stress test both the code and the servers.

Since this is a closed Beta, it seems to me that this is more akin to a Demo than to a Beta (a common practice in today's industry).

However, for you to qualify to try this "beta", you need to be a PSN+ member....

Paid Demos, on my Playstation?

mr_nothin

Banned
drizzle said:

Since this is a closed Beta, it seems to me that this is more akin to a Demo than to a Beta (a common practice in today's industry).

However, for you to qualify to try this "beta", you need to be a PSN+ member....

Are you forgetting about bug reports and feedback on gameplay/mechanics/features/UI/usability? They're allowing ppl to test the mechanics. There's only so much info they can get back from their Q&A team. But it is being used as a marketing tool for PS+ (even though they said PS+ members get early/exclusive access to betas from the beginning)

mr_nothin

Banned
Dubbedinenglish said:
If you played Battlefront 2, it is a similar system that certain tasks in one match gain abilities for that match, but once that match is done you'll need to re-earn them the next.
Is that a confirmation? You in the beta?
But yea, that's basically what I was describing. I think I would actually like a system like that.

aristotle

drizzle said:

Not even close. Try again.

SonComet

Yoboman said:
I refuse to believe that they have fixed it for the beta. In the videos I've watched of the beta you still look really short. And Sev was super short on the E3 videos when he got close to other characters like Rico. Am I just seeing things wrong. Can two people in the beta stand next to each other on level ground and test it?

iNvid02

X-Frame said:
Has there been any videos with the shotgun yet?

your in luck, im just bout to upload one. should be around an hour or so.
in fact i tested out all the weapons and melee kills in this one

Top Bottom