• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Retro Pack Detailed (Salamun Market and Blood Gracht)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
fuzzyreactor said:
its like we are polar opposites.

Same here. Radec was way overplayed, but I never thought of it as a poorly designed map. As long as the players were kept at 16, it worked well.

I liked almost all of the KZ2 maps, except for Blood Gracht. Pretty much all of my bad experiences with the MP are limited to that map.

Dirtbag

Rapping Granny said:
No Dirtbag, you are wrong.

I've at least offered my reasoning on why it's a horrible MP map with terrible flow.
I'd love to hear the other side of the argument if there really is one outside of a really cool sky.

I pretty much liked all the KZ2 maps except Salamun and Visari Hammer. Out of the "small" KZ2 maps, I think Blood G. was the worst. Tharsis and Radec are better designed.

The DLC maps on the other hand were total crap. Only exception was Arctower Landing which is exceptional. Has a great atmosphere too.

-viper-

Banned
holy shit at the KZ2 + KZ3 comparison. There is no contest.

KZ3 looks like a generational leap above KZ2 in those screenshots. goddam.

Jtrizzy

What's the deal with the beta? Isn't there another one starting today? I never deleted the old one so it will be fun to see how much progress was made.

thuway

-viper- said:
holy shit at the KZ2 + KZ3 comparison. There is no contest.

KZ3 looks like a generational leap above KZ2 in those screenshots. goddam.

I agree Killzone 3 looks like sex.

Pro Tip to GG: Please make all Map's free eventually. You guys put so much work into this bitch, you have to atleast consider not fragmenting the audience.

A.R.K

thuway said:
I agree Killzone 3 looks like sex.

Pro Tip to GG: Please make all Map's free eventually. You guys put so much work into this bitch, you have to atleast consider not fragmenting the audience.

Honestly these 2 maps should have been included for free. I have already pre-ordered but having paid DLC maps right from day 1 is not a good idea for the online community.

Massa

The pre-order thing just sucks, I wish they'd include the code in all new copies at release. None of the retailers I import games from usually have these codes. :(

Jtrizzy said:
What's the deal with the beta? Isn't there another one starting today? I never deleted the old one so it will be fun to see how much progress was made.

Comes out tomorrow at 11:00 AM GMT.

well, i decided not to get the helghast edition. so the minute this game comes out, are these maps up on the psn store?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Yoboman said:
Is this DLC?

TrAcEr_x90 said:
well, i decided not to get the helghast edition. so the minute this game comes out, are these maps up on the psn store?

here is a preview from the |OT| to answer your questions. They haven't said (I presume so) if you can buy on the store. All versions include it, not just the Hig edition.

head_sp_preorder_tey2.png

• Guerrilla Pack (available by pre-ordering from GameStop)
    • Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive a GameStop Exclusive PSN code unlocking all multiplayer weapons and abilities for the first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay giving you a temporary edge in the online battlefield. Also includes the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack, featuring two of the most popular maps from Killzone 2.

• Fast Starter Pack (available by pre-ordering from Best Buy)
    • Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive a Best Buy Exclusive PSN code allowing you to rank up faster, as you earn XP at double the normal rate for the first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay. Also includes the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack.

• Unlock and Load Pack (available by pre-ordering from Amazon)
    • Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive an Amazon.com Exclusive PSN code and get instant access to 3 Unlock Points to use on the weapon or ability of your choice such as the Marksman’s Sniper Rifle and get the early edge in Killzone 3 Multiplayer. Also includes the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack.

• Retro Map Pack (available by pre-ordering from other participating retailers)
    • Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive an exclusive PSN code giving you the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack, featuring two of the most popular maps from Killzone 2. Also receive an exclusive PlayStation 3 Dynamic Theme.

• Select copies (noted on cover) also include access to the upcoming SOCOM 4 beta.

RS4-

Didn't enjoy BG all that much, especially the mess on the catwalks and the area below it where they used to have an objective.

The market was my favorite.

Guardian Bob said:
So already, the MP is fragmented?
Yepp, seeing as how I can't afford to buy KZ3 right away this is a huge turn off from playing the multiplayer in the future for me. :/ Maybe they will unlock them for all eventually?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yuck @ those pre-order bonuses. Fragmenting map packs and XP boosters.

Hopefully I'm not the only one who would refuse to use a XP-boosting voucher, fuck that shit, I do it for myself.

alr1ght

Snuggler said:
Yuck @ those pre-order bonuses. Fragmenting map packs and XP boosters.

Hopefully I'm not the only one who would refuse to use a XP-boosting voucher, fuck that shit, I do it for myself.

Sell it on ebay. I'm sure some idiot would buy it for $5-10.

How often are pre order bonuses eventually given out for free?

At the very least it won't be as fragmented as KZ2's DLC, since it is available from three of the biggest retailers.

Man

The Helghast flora & fauna looks like an environment disease in the best possible way. Looks fantastic.

Yoboman

alr1ghtstart said:
here is a preview from the |OT| to answer your questions. They haven't said (I presume so) if you can buy on the store. All versions include it, not just the Hig edition.

head_sp_preorder_tey2.png

• Guerrilla Pack (available by pre-ordering from GameStop)
    • Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive a GameStop Exclusive PSN code unlocking all multiplayer weapons and abilities for the first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay giving you a temporary edge in the online battlefield. Also includes the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack, featuring two of the most popular maps from Killzone 2.

• Fast Starter Pack (available by pre-ordering from Best Buy)
    • Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive a Best Buy Exclusive PSN code allowing you to rank up faster, as you earn XP at double the normal rate for the first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay. Also includes the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack.

• Unlock and Load Pack (available by pre-ordering from Amazon)
    • Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive an Amazon.com Exclusive PSN code and get instant access to 3 Unlock Points to use on the weapon or ability of your choice such as the Marksman’s Sniper Rifle and get the early edge in Killzone 3 Multiplayer. Also includes the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack.

• Retro Map Pack (available by pre-ordering from other participating retailers)
    • Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive an exclusive PSN code giving you the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack, featuring two of the most popular maps from Killzone 2. Also receive an exclusive PlayStation 3 Dynamic Theme.

• Select copies (noted on cover) also include access to the upcoming SOCOM 4 beta.
WTF :| That is the stupidest shit I've ever heard. GG, GG.

Not even Activision is this fucking stupid with COD pre orders.

But I guess they don't need Gamestop's pocket change.

You poor fucks Sony.

H_Prestige said:
How often are pre order bonuses eventually given out for free?
It depends. I've noticed, at least with Sony, for their first party titles if the game isn't doing extremely well they give them out for free. I think (might be wrong) that R2 did that right?

Dibbz

Fuck me those looks fucking fantastic. I love the changes they've made. Wonder if they've made any layout changes though.

Thank god there is not Radec Academy...

yet

alr1ght

Yoboman said:
WTF :| That is the stupidest shit I've ever heard. GG, GG.

the unlocks aren't really a huge deal. 3 unlock points don't do much. If some poor idiot ranks up all the way in 24 hours (note: it's 24 real hours, so 24 hours from your first session), I feel sorry for him. The maps will probably/hopefully be given away eventually.

RedSwirl

For some reason I was expecting this to mean they were bringing back maps from Killzone 1.
Killzone 1 multiplayer was actually pretty decent in its time.

Yoboman

alr1ghtstart said:
the unlocks aren't really a huge deal. 3 unlock points don't do much. If some poor idiot ranks up all the way in 24 hours (note: it's 24 real hours, so 24 hours from your first session), I feel sorry for him. The maps will probably/hopefully be given away eventually.
I've never preordered in my life, and don't plan to with Australian inflated retail prices. They damn well better be given away for free, they should've just been on the disc

thuway

I'm really hoping GG has included 3-4 smaller maps for around 8 people. I still can't wrap my head around some of the maps in Killzone 3. Learning those maps in my free time feels more like. a chore than a discovery

thuway said:
I'm really hoping GG has included 3-4 smaller maps for around 8 people. I still can't wrap my head around some of the maps in Killzone 3. Learning those maps in my free time feels more like. a chore than a discovery
Do we have a list of the maps not including these 2?

A.R.K

thuway said:

That's what I have been wishing as I usually play in a small group of 6-8 with my friends. And most maps they have showed so far look too big! :/ Need some like ThDepot, BG sized maps in KZ3 for smaller groups.

So the reviews are coming tomorrow?

I think that Treyarch community manager may be right, at least with respect to me.

The idea of exos on Salamun is such a let down and will completely destroy S&D matches (if the plant areas are the same). It seems that exos are small enough to get under the overpass (which doesn't seem quite right) and given the lines of sight they will be able to lay down an infinite missile barrage that will affect too much of the map. For S&R this will mean that the middle road is completely unusable and everyone will just proximity mine the back alleys (assuming proximities are no longer class specific).

Never mind that it seems each map only gets one mode. TDM on Bloodgracht will be nothing more than boosting infiltrator one-hit melees, shotguns and proxmity mines. Or half the Higg team will just be marksmen and sit up at their spawn.

I would dream about a horde type mode on Salamun in KZ2 where you and 3 other people would have to move from zone to zone against a bunch of baddies (in a classic 16 player match this could have been 12 bots). An adaptation of that would have been relatively easy if only GG had thought to put Operations into this map. But alas.

God damn, if you are going to make exoskeletons a game mechanic, why the hell don't you but Phyrrus or Southern Hills in the game? At least with SH the blast would destroy the exos every few minutes.

Should have been Operations and Classic Warzone on Salamun and Warzone on Phyrrus at a minimum.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I mostly only ever played with bots and Blood Gracht was my favorite map for that. Salmun was decent too. New versions look great.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Blood Gracht will play less clusterfucky. For one, it's 16 players max instead of 32. Also, no spawn grenades and much less grenades/rockets. But yeah, personally I preferred Southern Hills (along with Salamun).

Also, a lot of in-game cutscenes are now videos. There are several reasons for that: you have to load in less assets which are only used for those cutscenes (animation, speech, etc); less complexity in asset optimizing and scripting -> less potential bugs; much shorter load times. Disadvantage is that it takes way more disk space; you need to render both 2d and 3d versions separately, but hey, it still fits on a blu-ray.

Ephemeris

Guerrilla Pack (available by pre-ordering from GameStop)
Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive a GameStop Exclusive PSN code unlocking all multiplayer weapons and abilities for the first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay giving you a temporary edge in the online battlefield. Also includes the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack, featuring two of the most popular maps from Killzone 2.
Fast Starter Pack (available by pre-ordering from Best Buy)
Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive a Best Buy Exclusive PSN code allowing you to rank up faster, as you earn XP at double the normal rate for the first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay. Also includes the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack.
Unlock and Load Pack (available by pre-ordering from Amazon)
Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive an Amazon.com Exclusive PSN code and get instant access to 3 Unlock Points to use on the weapon or ability of your choice such as the Marksman’s Sniper Rifle and get the early edge in Killzone 3 Multiplayer. Also includes the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack.

Bah. Still don't know which one to get. Amazon > the others in regard to my fave retailers, but 3 points is so.. little.

BeeDog

Tempy said:
Blood Gracht will play less clusterfucky. For one, it's 16 players max instead of 32. Also, no spawn grenades and much less grenades/rockets. But yeah, personally I preferred Southern Hills (along with Salamun).

Also, a lot of in-game cutscenes are now videos. There are several reasons for that: you have to load in less assets which are only used for those cutscenes (animation, speech, etc); less complexity in asset optimizing and scripting -> less potential bugs; much shorter load times. Disadvantage is that it takes way more disk space; you need to render both 2d and 3d versions separately, but hey, it still fits on a blu-ray.

Mega-bummer about the videos, but I prepared for that :(. The game would've been a more amazing graphical showcase if the ingame cutscenes remained realtime.

Top Bottom