• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Retro Pack Detailed (Salamun Market and Blood Gracht)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
BeeDog said:
Mega-bummer about the videos, but I prepared for that :(. The game would've been a more amazing graphical showcase if the ingame cutscenes remained realtime.

It still looks like it's real-time; since it's just an in-game capture. No fancy video post-processing. Graphically there is no difference except for no framerate dips (which is a good thing). Some in-game sequences are not videos since they're short/simple/not much extra assets/too many videos don't fit on disc.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Killzone 2 versions looked great but these look even better! Love the alien trees and plants. And seeing the fleet in the sky is really cool too. Great stuff!

Realtime cut-scenes vs. pre-rendered realtime cut scenes, what does it matter? Bragging rights? If you can't control the camera during the cut scenes it doesn't matter how it's done, as long as it doesn't break the immersion.

alr1ghtstart said:
annie061204_198.jpg

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I wish it was Corinth's Crossing instead. That map was fantastic.

Also: Fuck paying for maps. Based on what I've read it just means you're not going to be playing those maps anyway because in reality of gaming today they can't figure out how to matchmake correctly.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So... no Radec Academy despite the fact everyone and their mom played it and it's shitty spawns 24/7? SMH.

Rikyfree

Cruzader said:
GAFa Vs GAFe - mini tournament incoming?

Im down.
Sorry but I've defected. GAFe FTW.
Also Salamun Market is one of my most favorite maps in ANY game.... EVER. Like top 3. Shit was great.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Rikyfree said:
Sorry but I've defected. GAFe FTW.

"You are a traitor to your race and your country!"

SC1xU.jpg

We should just make an uber-gaf clan with all the KZ2 clan members.

Fucking assholes in Blood Gracht used a glitched and was hiding behind some second level platform at the end of the drainage platform or whatever it was near the Helgast spawn point.

Zen

Banned
I'm not quite feeling the new look for Killzone 3. I might be the only one, but when you compare these shots with the Killzone 2 shots... Killzone 2 is worse technically, but the shadowing and lighting choices made for a much better image composition overall.

I guess Guerilla heard that people thought that Killzone 2 was too dark, and have decided to take their entire art style that worked so well with Killzone 2 and relight everything with more dynamic conditions the appease that point of view.

Sure we're getting a lot more environments, and a lot more lightning conditions, but it shows how a decent amount of them aren't really doing the game any favors. It's a bit of a shame, really. Killzone 2 originally had an amazing art style that was compromised come release party because of the 'no colors' complaints, and it looks like it has been taken even further with Killzone 3.

Default Saluman Market remade with the Killzone 3 engine, but keeping the Killzone 2 style of lighting? Now that would look flat out amazing. As is, it still looks really darn good, and the new Blood Gratch looks amazing.

The lightning doesn't seem nearly as exaggerated anymore, which is a missed opportunity imo, because it complemented the color scheme and darker lightning quite well. A lot of areas in Killzone 3 just look flatter compared to Killzone 2.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Fucking assholes in Blood Gracht used a glitched and was hiding behind some second level platform at the end of the drainage platform or whatever it was near the Helgast spawn point.

I hate the punks who did that. GG better have fixed that.

Zen said:
I'm not quite feeling the new look for Killzone 3. I might be the only one, but when you compare these shots with the Killzone 2 shots... Killzone 2 is worse technically, but the shadowing and lighting choices made for a much better image composition overall.

I guess Guerilla heard that people thought that Killzone 2 was too dark, and have decided to take their entire arttyle that worked so well with Killzone 2 and relight everything with conditions that it's not really suited for...

You're not the only one. KZ2 is far superior artistically. Too many people complained about not enough colors.

A.R.K

alr1ghtstart said:
you want to play that shit map again?

I think most maps in KZ2 were really well designed. It was the clusterfuck, idiot campers, and wrong player count that turned them into a mess.

I am disappointed that not all modes are available on each map :/ ... Warzone should be standard mode for all the maps.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Zen said:

I guess Guerilla heard that people thought that Killzone 2 was too dark, and have decided to take their entire art style that worked so well with Killzone 2 and relight everything with more dynamic conditions the appease that point of view.

Sure we're getting a lot more environments, and a lot more lightning conditions, but it shows how a decent amount of them aren't really doing the game any favors. It's a bit of a shame, really. Killzone 2 originally had an amazing art style that was compromised come release party because of the 'no colors' complaints, and it looks like it has been taken even further with Killzone 3.

Default Saluman Market remade with the Killzone 3 engine, but keeping the Killzone 2 style of lighting? Now that would look flat out amazing.

I'm okay with the new lighting/colors, but the toned down motion blur doesn't look too hot.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cagen said:
Exoskeletons on Salamun?

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT.
Why are people surprised by this? It's big, open, and has streets. I figured that if Salamun came back it would have Exos.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Tempy said:
Goddamn, now it's too many colors.
Hahaha, you guys just can't win. Personally I like the palette of KZ3 a lot (thought 2's looked great also). I felt that there were a few times where they tried to force color into KZ2 (like at the beginning the ISA ship mission) and it stuck out like a sore thumb. The colors in KZ3 look a lot more cohesive.

Zen

Banned
Tempy said:
Goddamn, now it's too many colors.

What do you think, Tempy? I felt that it was kind of obvious a lot of 'there aren't enough colors' comments were forum trolls and a relative minority, since Killzone 2 was almost universally acclaimed for its graphics.

People complained about how samey the visual environments were in the campaign, not that the overall lightning style was bad. We wanted more environment variety (and Guerilla seems to have delivered on that front) in the single player, not necessarily toning back the lighting as a whole and making sure to not set an environment in an awesome looking night setting.

Cagen

RoboPlato said:
Why are people surprised by this? It's big, open, and has streets. I figured that if Salamun came back it would have Exos.

Not surprised in the slightest, just disappointed. I seem to be getting this feeling a whole lot about this game.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Zen said:
What do you think, Tempy? I felt that it was kind of obvious a lot of 'there aren't enough colors' comments were forum trolls and a relative minority, since Killzone 2 was almost universally acclaimed for its graphics.

People complained about how samey the visual environments were in the campaign, not that the overall lightning style was bad.

After Corinth River you got 4 levels (Blood Meridian, Visari Square, Salamun District, Salamun Bridge) which were the same lighting wise, which probably felt repetitive to some. After that the colors/environments got more varied (Suljeva Village, Tharsis Refinery, Cruiser, Visari Palace).

KZ3 is more varied in that sense.

The not enough colors thing was mostly a reaction after the first KZ2 screenshots anyway, where the game was indeed way more desaturated and greyish. Not that that can't work, but it also had an effect on players trying to navigate the levels and not finding the exits (on a side-note; I really liked L4D2's Hard Rain map 3, where it was dark and rainy, but you could find your way if you look for several light beacons in the distance).

Top Bottom