• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

green_focus

<3 Love is in the air <3

I love this game.

I love the art.

I love the music.

I love the VO.

I love the crafting/sagecrafting/alchemy.

I love the side quests (have been playing 33 hours and only done the 1st main quest).

I especially love the combat.

I would love a higher level cap.

I would also love some modding tools.

Can't stop playing. My wife calls this game my dirty digital mistress.

sogood.gif

scy

Does "Stash" (in the description of what locales are available in a town) mean that there is a purchasable house there?

If so, can anyone give me a hint
how I can get the house/stash in Rathir? I have done several quests there, but so far have seen no overarching quest series like in the webwood town. Or is the house a result of a story quest?

Serious spoilers ahoy:
Seriously spoilers just padding here! You need to beat the game first.

Hobbun

I'm still pretty early (3rd level), but I had heard the game maxes out at 40th level. With how big the game is and how many quests there are, for those of you who have completed the game, or close to it, do you find your level maxing out before finishing all your quests?

I know Curt had indicated there is DLC coming around the time of ME3, I hope some of those additions are extra levels/areas. 40th level just seems too low to me. Maybe that will change the further I get into the game.

KingDirk

Guys, am I boned? I'm at the
Warsworn Keep
and after
defeating the mages
the quest marker won't move or change. I'm afraid an enemy fell through the floor or something and now I can't kill it or collect whatever I might need.

Are you being serious? I mean that definition of "DPS" would be useless to anyone else.

This isn't a PVP game. We're not two melee zeal paladins 1v1'ing in Diablo 2. This is just a PVE game so the TIME that's required to pick up and buy reagents + create them at the table + pop them during battle certainly counts towards overall DPS and, excluding the broken Meteor spell, mastercrafted blacksmithing is clearly superior to popping potions. Sorry you don't agree.

I'm still pretty early (3rd level), but I had heard the game maxes out at 40th level. With how big the game is and how many quests there are, for those of you who have completed the game, or close to it, do you find your level maxing out before finishing all your quests?

I know Curt had indicated there is DLC coming around the time of ME3, I hope some of those additions are extra levels/areas. 40th level just seems too low to me. Maybe that will change the further I get into the game.
I'm currently level 36 and in the last region (5th). I have a huge list of side quests still left to do, probably over 20, but I'm totally burned out and don't even read the text anymore so I'm thinking about just beating the game instead of going for the level cap. Killing the late game mobs grants a lot more XP than the side quests anyway so if you wanted you could definitely grind to 40 that way. I'm getting 10-13k XP with Reckoning on some of these mobs.

Log4Girlz

Though I don't count it towards "DPS", yes I do factor in ROI (return of investment) of my time when it comes to offense. I would much rather forge it and forget it than have to create potions over and over.

scy

This isn't a PVP game. We're not two melee zeal paladins 1v1'ing in Diablo 2. This is just a PVE game so the TIME that's required to pick up and buy reagents + create them at the table + pop them during battle certainly counts towards overall DPS and, excluding the broken Meteor spell, mastercrafted blacksmithing is clearly superior to popping potions. Sorry you don't agree.

PvE or PvP doesn't change that one provides a greater bonus. Prep time isn't really an aspect of. I do agree with you that Alchemy isn't worth the hassle (though, you get so many Master potions as drops anyway) but it is by far the greatest boost to your damage in the game.

Blacksmithing is the most convenient and, honestly, it's not like the potion stacking is ever even remotely close to necessary to care about it. End of the day, I'd easily suggest Blacksmithing over Alchemy as far as improving a character just because it's far less of a hassle. Besides, cooler loot always beats out cooler potions :x

I'm currently level 36 and in the last region (5th). I have a huge list of side quests still left to do, probably over 20, but I'm totally burned out and don't even read the text anymore so I'm thinking about just beating the game instead of going for the level cap. Killing the late game mobs grants a lot more XP than the side quests anyway so if you wanted you could definitely grind to 40 that way. I'm getting 10-13k XP with Reckoning on some of these mobs.

I honestly have no idea how much EXP quests in the last two regions gave since I hit 40 pretty early into Klurikon :( Still did them all so I guess it works out in the end or something but still.

You define concepts before you use them, not after, and if there's a commonly accepted definition of a term (like for DPS), you don't just "reinterpret" it when it fits your needs. You can still make the (probably quite valid) argument that using potions is not worth it in overall play time without doing this, because it makes sense anyway, there is no need to waste a useful and meaningful word because you happened to refine your argument.

I honestly have no idea how much EXP quests in the last two regions gave since I hit 40 pretty early into Klurikon :( Still did them all so I guess it works out in the end or something but still.
This is likely the path I'm headed towards... very disappointing to hear, actually. :(

Oh well, I guess leveling hasn't really been a big priority of mine so far anyway so I should still enjoy the later quests.

scy

This is likely the path I'm headed towards... very disappointing to hear, actually. :(

On the bright side, everything there was yellow and
Alabastra is streamlined anyway so it was more a series of gauntlets run against of level enemies rather than fetching things to bring back

On the bright side, everything there was yellow and
Alabastra is streamlined anyway so it was more a series of gauntlets run against of level enemies rather than fetching things to bring back
That's good to hear. I'm not sure if you saw me ask this a few pages back or not but I was wondering what your final thoughts were on the story. Did you think the ending was satisfying? No spoilers please. :)

scy

That's good to hear. I'm not sure if you saw me ask this a few pages back or not but I was wondering what your final thoughts were on the story. Did you think the ending was satisfying? No spoilers please. :)

My largest problem with the ending is in the post-game but I wager that's more a gameplay<->story disconnect than anything else.

I found the story fine though I wish
Gadflow was more prevalent throughout but I guess Klurikon's quests are supposed to give us that
. The final two regions feel like
a squandered opportunity to bro out with Agarth and otherwise interact with the collection of important people you've met throughout the Main Quest. And I use squander intentionally since it's really such a great time to have done it and would have tied together the final segment up to the finale a bit better. Something akin to the questline from Red Marshes with the Belen cult would have been great

Relatively spoiler light but tagged anyway. Overall, I enjoyed the story for what it was and didn't demand things from it that it wasn't trying to do. I wouldn't shower it with awards but it's not something I'll look back on frowning. It satisfied me throughout the ride.

My largest problem with the ending is in the post-game but I wager that's more a gameplay<->story disconnect than anything else.

I found the story fine though I wish
Gadflow was more prevalent throughout but I guess Klurikon's quests are supposed to give us that
. The final two regions feel like
a squandered opportunity to bro out with Agarth and otherwise interact with the collection of important people you've met throughout the Main Quest. And I use squander intentionally since it's really such a great time to have done it and would have tied together the final segment up to the finale a bit better. Something akin to the questline from Red Marshes with the Belen cult would have been great

Relatively spoiler light but tagged anyway. Overall, I enjoyed the story for what it was and didn't demand things from it that it wasn't trying to do. I wouldn't shower it with awards but it's not something I'll look back on frowning. It satisfied me throughout the ride.
Thanks for the impressions, it sounds interesting. I'm really curious to see how this game will end because right now I have no clue.

Hobbun

It was experiences like these that I was anticipating and concerned about. I just don’t think there is enough levels to supply content for the completionists.

Yes, you can continue to go on, even while not gaining anymore levels, but I am one who likes to see myself always improving, even towards the end game. That said, it’s not going to stop me from playing and enjoying the game (loving it so far!), but it would be nice to see some additional character levels and zones/areas for the upcoming DLC.

So have you finished the game yet, Baconsammy? If so did you ever get around to posting some final impressions or anything? I'm really curious to hear whether or not the story holds up from some people who actually find it interesting like myself.

Not yet. I'm still getting distracted by faction and side quests. I'm level 23 now and I think I'm just going to try to stick to the main quest line the rest of the way and then do the faction stuff after since the dungeons seem to scale to me anyway.

scy

It was experiences like these that I was anticipating and concerned about. I just don&#8217;t think there is enough levels to supply content for the completionists.

Yes, you can continue to go on, even while not gaining anymore levels, but I am one who likes to see myself always improving, even towards the end game. That said, it&#8217;s not going to stop me from playing and enjoying the game (loving it so far!), but it would be nice to see some additional character levels and zones/areas for the upcoming DLC.

The problem with more levels is that you can move hybrid builds out of "Do I get the top tier Abilities or do I get the final Destiny?" into "Fuck it, get it all." Going to need to add new Destinies and new Abilities to keep that feeling.

I did a LOT of Reckoning kills for EXP and had a +EXP equipment bonus for quite awhile in my playthrough. I did every single quest possible and hit 40 ~60% of the way into Klurikon so the first half conned grey on the map and the latter half+end-game was yellow; all the dungeons are still of level if I recall, though I'd have to go back and check. Loot drops are both your level and locale based so loot still improves as you progress.

scy

Dungeons scale to your level so they should always be yellow.

They have their own level caps, however. I think that Klurikon's dungeons all scale to 40 but I'm not 100% certain on that. I know most of the Plains and Detyre don't scale into the 30s.

Rad Agast

I'm finding it hard to ignore Amalur's faults, notably the spike in boss difficulty, the horrible camera that requires constant adjustment during the aforementioned fights, and the absolute overreliance on distracting explosion effects from projectiles and spells.

No, Amalur, I don't want to turn down the difficulty. I want to be able to see what I'm fighting. The battle with the witch of windmere was an extended session in what the hell am I swinging at.

I'm enjoying my adventuring sessions, but man! it's depressing to see the game doesn't get the basics right.

I was in my mid teens when I had that fight, just concentrate all your attacks on her while dodging the few sprites she spawns at the start. If you damage her fast enough, she doesn't get a chance to spawn more mobs (I think I saw a thresh or something in the corner of my screen near the end).

Nista

I thought the voice acting was really patchy. There'd be times where the accent was genuine (or seemed genuine at least) and other times where it was all over the place. American voice actors have trouble trying to imitate Irish and Scottish accents, and its common in a lot of games not just Reckoning.

It's probably not noticable if you yourself is American, but as a Brit I can usually tell and when they get it wrong it really sticks out. The female Dwarf in the first village, in the alchemy shop, as an example.

I find several characters way more tolerable when playing through the game in German on PC, especially the Fae. Even as an American, there's some English "accents" in there that are irritatingly fake.

However, you can notice wrong subtitles and switching recorded character voices on various lines in the localized version way more often, so it's a tradeoff. Besides the fact I can only comprehend German about 30% of the time. :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think the Fae are all supposed to be Irish.

Gnomes are Scottish.

Rad Agast

I'm being a mage, and doing it wrong? :p

I just started playing and I'm level 6 now.
I love my staff and chakrams because the attacks just look so awesome, and I keep forgetting to use my spells! I'll probably pick up the healing ability for convenience, but beyond that I'm not sure if going pure mage is the best thing for my play-style since I keep going in up and close.
Yet I can't work out what else to put points in, since both other specs seem to want me to use their weapon types.

Has anyone made a successful battlemage type person that mainly uses staff and chakrams? What armor should I wear, and what else should I stick points in? Any ideas?

I play my pure mage that way too. I use spells as utility (Stun/stagger/knock down) for the most part and I'm enjoying the fights. Once you get Sphere of Protection upgraded to Sphere of Reprisal then getting in with Ice Blink (upgraded sorcery dodge later) the close fights get more fun since you're doing damage just by touching the mobs.

I don't know what to pick from the other trees since I haven't really touched them since the demo.

robertoci

Loved it for the first 10 hours, now 12 hours in and I don't know what it is but something is turning me off the game, I know it may be because playing it so much in a short space of time makes you feel burnt out but it took me longer with Skyrim and I didn't find it nearly as fun as KoA, it could be the gameworld as Skyrim drew me in with the atmosphere, anyone else feel the same?

Not trying to slate the game as it's a breath of fresh air to the RPG crowd and I feel the combat is what this genre needed for a bit of a shake up.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Kept telling myself that I wouldn't re-spec, but finally gave in, just this one time. After playing a significant amount, knowing what I want my primary and secondary weapons to be, and which abilities I'll actually use, I just decided I needed some points back that I wasted on finesse initially (I was careless and didn't know WTF I was doing). I'm just going pure brute battlemage at this point.

I also finally found an awesome-looking unique greatsword called Fortune to go with my Solstice chakrams.

My pet Faer Gorta hates docile wildlife creatures. Unleash him near chickens, deer, and those cow things and he just goes to town on them. It's hilarious.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ok I tried using a controller again last night for a few hours.... Yeah no thanks. Everything felt like a chore to do, menus felt slower, casting spells was a pain, the button layout was plain awkward, moving around felt slower, and it no longer felt like I had full control over the camera.... Never again I'm sorry for leaving you mouse :(

How do I get in some KoA on Valentines night? Is Nyquil flavored?

Started doing something so I wouldn't mull over swapping weapons for 5 minutes. My first 10 hours I would go back and forth on what to do as a lot of weapons you find or can purchase can be so close to the one you are carrying yet so different at the same time. I now give myself 10 seconds to decide to swap out and dump the other one. No regrets, no anxiety. lol

scy

so does anybody know where I can find the rest of Khas-ti's armor? I have the helm and I was wondering if I could find the rest.

Each piece of the set has a different name and it's ultimately a Universalist set (though, the Legs have no requirements so I guess it's more of a Might/Finesse set). Each piece is hidden in an area and there's one piece per region. As for locations:

Dirge's Boots (Finesse): Glendara
Khas-ti's Helm (Might): Cradle of Summer
Flint's Gloves (Finesse): Menetyre
Tinniat's Hauberk (Might): Drowned Forest
Ergel's Legs (Sorcery): Twilight Pass

Ok I tried using a controller again last night for a few hours.... Yeah no thanks. Everything felt like a chore to do, menus felt slower, casting spells was a pain, the button layout was plain awkward, moving around felt slower, and it no longer felt like I had full control over the camera.... Never again I'm sorry for leaving you mouse :(

Humorously enough, I tried switching to KB+M and I had the exact same issue with that setup vs the controller :x

1stStrike

Banned
Any good finesse/sorcery builds? As someone just starting, what have you guys learned in your playing of what works and what doesn't?

Daggers are your best bet if you're going sorcery/finesse, IMO. I was a hybrid for a while, but respecced to pure sorcerer to give the higher level abilities a try. I don't even really miss anything from the finesse tree that I had before. I have chakrams equipped, but rarely use them, as the staff in combination with other spells is just too awesome.

I really like the combo of spells, like mark of flame, and just daggers though. Daggers are really fast, and you can quickly combo spells with them for some straight up ownage. I typically use my staff when I'm facing a crowd and my daggers when it's one on one.

Each piece of the set has a different name and it's ultimately a Universalist set (though, the Legs have no requirements so I guess it's more of a Might/Finesse set). Each piece is hidden in an area and there's one piece per region. As for locations:

Dirge's Boots (Finesse): Glendara
Khas-ti's Helm (Might): Cradle of Summer
Flint's Gloves (Finesse): Menetyre
Tinniat's Hauberk (Might): Drowned Forest
Ergel's Legs (Sorcery): Twilight Pass

Humorously enough, I tried switching to KB+M and I had the exact same issue with that setup vs the controller :x

You sir are the man :D. thank you, I'm hunting now

Davedough

Daggers are your best bet if you're going sorcery/finesse, IMO. I was a hybrid for a while, but respecced to pure sorcerer to give the higher level abilities a try. I don't even really miss anything from the finesse tree that I had before. I have chakrams equipped, but rarely use them, as the staff in combination with other spells is just too awesome.

I really like the combo of spells, like mark of flame, and just daggers though. Daggers are really fast, and you can quickly combo spells with them for some straight up ownage. I typically use my staff when I'm facing a crowd and my daggers when it's one on one.

I too am a pure mage. I use my Chakrams when I've successfully stunned an enemy, but then again, my chakrams are pretty beefy. I will pelt them with lightning from afar, throw on the explosion which usually stuns a number in the group, I charge up the chakrams to spin around and hit everyone and finish off the floppers with my staff. Things just have a habit of dying around me.

scy

The cuirass is found during the quest "The Aster inheritance", I have the helm but i don't remember where I found it.

Thanks scy, just found the boots

The Gloves made me feel so dumb when I finally found them :|

I have the Ceremonial helm and curiass, and the Thyrdon gauntlets. I really want the leg pieces.

Off-hand, no. There's actually a few guaranteed set pieces apparently so I may need to take notes now :|

mujun

This game doesn't live up to the hype I had for it at all.

I don't like the environments or the lore. The combat is repetitive (might build) and the story is lame and too reliant on reading.

It's also seems badly designed in several ways, loot being the worst offender. Never find loot as good as the stuff I can buy.

Davedough

I don't like the environments or the lore. The combat is repetitive (might build) and the story is lame and too reliant on reading.

It's also seems badly designed in several ways, loot being the worst offender. Never find loot as good as the stuff I can buy.

A melee class repetitive? Hmm.. you don't say.

For loot, I've been the exact opposite. Every shop I visit has loot that is WAY weaker than what I currently have equipped. I've got more money than I know what to do with because I never find anything to spend it on other than training.

chifanpoe

At lvl 5 I was already finding loot better that I could buy/afford. At lvl 12 I was able to blacksmith better stuff than I could buy or any loot I was finding.

Sorry you don't like the game.

Loved it for the first 10 hours, now 12 hours in and I don't know what it is but something is turning me off the game, I know it may be because playing it so much in a short space of time makes you feel burnt out .

You know, I find the opposite to be true as well. If your playing time is sparse, even though you've not played a game much (or at all, basically) it seems like you've been at it far longer than you have, which really, really sucks. And then some other bright, new shiny game comes along, and the backlog grows and grows and...

Anyone else like this?

1stStrike

Banned
I too am a pure mage. I use my Chakrams when I've successfully stunned an enemy, but then again, my chakrams are pretty beefy. I will pelt them with lightning from afar, throw on the explosion which usually stuns a number in the group, I charge up the chakrams to spin around and hit everyone and finish off the floppers with my staff. Things just have a habit of dying around me.

My staff is far better than the chakrams I have at the moment. My chakrams feel like pea shooters in comparison :p

staffydjmc.png

And then I have an additional +20% fire/ice/lightning damage on the robes I crafted.

chifanpoe

[Clark Gable];35139248 said:
Had to reroll my character as a male, The
beloved
thing weirded me out when I was a female.

That stinks.

I found a bug playing on the PS3 build.

Bugged widow quest. For some reason my quest bugged at the last part. When I enter carnum the widow is not there and the arrow just points at the entrance. I can go all the way through the to the end and kill all the spider but she did not show up. I have gone back 9 or 10 times from lvl 5 - 16 and she still is broken.

Davedough

My staff is far better than the chakrams I have at the moment. My chakrams feel like pea shooters in comparison :p

http://www.abload.de/img/staffydjmc.png[IMG]

And then I have an additional +20% fire/ice/lightning damage on the robes I crafted.[/QUOTE]

Wow... Very nice staff indeed. I'll be keeping an eye out for that one. My chakrams have really nice stats like that, although instead of beefing my overall health and mana, they leech them per hit.

Log4Girlz

Eh, anyone else with this bug? I had stored my house of ballads armor in my chest...when I retrieve it to destroy it...its stuck in my inventory...cannot junk, scrap, or sell it.

Top Bottom