• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

For what it's worth, I've been having a lot more fun with the game again after slapping on peasants clothes on my mage, taking away her chakrams and staff, replacing them with greatsword and daggers, and limiting myself to only lightning bolt magic (meteor wrecks eeeeverything, haha).

Finished up House of Valor recently...you guys weren't kidding, that's a great faction quest. I was little skeptical at first though, since I heard it was a series of arena battles, but it pulled it off quite well. House of Ballads is still #1 for me though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Here are two new sets I got ...

Legion set...

6899560571_1004136bf2_z.jpg

6899560627_4040c0ec19_z.jpg

G]

I want that armor

Jrmint

Wow this sucks.

I mistakenly went into the Plains of Erathell like 10 levels ago and now at level 24 everything is gray to me when I'm actually doing the content.

Some of these mistakes made by the game are obvious rookie mistakes.

Wow this sucks.

I mistakenly went into the Plains of Erathell like 10 levels ago and now at level 24 everything is gray to me when I'm actually doing the content.

Some of these mistakes made by the game are obvious rookie mistakes.

The rookie being you or the devs?

I never used a healing potion in the 2nd half of the game on hard mode. If you set a max on +health, I don't think anyone would care/notice. Basically the only people that would be pissed are gamers that don't want to ever lose health. I know testing is hard to do, but I'm curious to know if the dev team noticed what we're seeing.

Perhaps the leveling system needs tweaked on hard mode to where instead of getting a skill point every level you get one every other level , instead of 3 ability points you only get 2.

I really like being able to custom craft my own powerful armor and weapons, I just think(especially on hard mode) the game lets you do that too early.

Jrmint

I meant the devs. Why should you be penalized for mistakenly walking into a higher level area?

I still really like the game and plan to finish it. I just hope they really take notice of these things for the sequel.

Einbroch

Banned
I meant the devs. Why should you be penalized for mistakenly walking into a higher level area?

I still really like the game and plan to finish it. I just hope they really take notice of these things for the sequel.

Wait, you're being penalized? I'm pretty sure being super strong isn't a penalty...

Einbroch

Banned
The lack of xp and challenge is..

But...you CHOSE to go into those areas and CHOSE to continue to level in those areas. It's like in an MMO if you choose to skip a zone for a harder one, then go back to the zone you were supposed to go to and try to level. You shouldn't be surprised if it's easy.

But...you CHOSE to go into those areas and CHOSE to continue to level in those areas. It's like in an MMO if you choose to skip a zone for a harder one, then go back to the zone you were supposed to go to and try to level. You shouldn't be surprised if it's easy.

What he's referring to is that the level scales for an area when you enter it and stays in a certain range. As a result of entering it by accident when he was lower level, he is now too high a level for that area.

Einbroch

Banned
What he's referring to is that the level scales for an area when you enter it and stays in a certain range. As a result of entering it by accident when he was lower level, he is now too high a level for that area.

It does that? I had no idea. I just kinda assumes it did the Skyrim thing with "kinda scaling".

Jrmint

Yes exactly. I mistakenly went in at 14 or 15 and now the level range of mobs in there is that level.

I did notice though it was only the first region in the plains that it affected. I'm getting yellow mobs in the cradle of summer now.

Apeboy

I think the cooldown is really the only option There is just no getting around the issue of once you start tinkering with anything else like % of healing per potion, capping amount of pots carried or reducing gem effects it would be a very slippery slope.

Any tweak to add a little something to make you utilize skills in combat would be great but I think the overall balance work needed would be likely too big a project for the existing game.

It does that? I had no idea. I just kinda assumes it did the Skyrim thing with "kinda scaling".

yeah, dungeons and areas scale level. They don't scale exactly to you, but they have a certain range that they can fall in.. when you walk into an area for the first time, it sets the level range.

Skyrim simply replaces the monsters you find in an area with more powerful versions of themselves as you increase in level.

Einbroch

Banned
Yes exactly. I mistakenly went in at 14 or 15 and now the level range of mobs in there is that level.

I did notice though it was only the first region in the plains that it affected. I'm getting yellow mobs in the cradle of summer now.

Ah, sorry if I sounded confrontational. Just wasn't understanding what you meant.

Vamphuntr

Beat the game last night. Didn't do every quests though. I did do all of the factions quests and all of the extra quests in the last area. My clock says 37-38 hours.

Ended at level 37 and I was playing on hard.

My favorite factions in order

House of Ballads> Travelers > Warsworn > Scholia Arcana > House of Valor > House of Sorrows

In a nutshell my pros and cons

**PROS**

-Game is beautiful. All of the environments use many colors and really feel alive. You have different kind of flower and vegetations growing in specific areas and nice rivers and waterfalls spread across the world.

-Battle system is fun. I really loved how the classes were handled. I always prefer to play a mage in this kind of game and I was pleasantly suprised at how you can actually have good physcial weapons and even learn combos with them. Usually, mages classes are really screwed on the weapons front but not here. It was refreshing to say the least. I really loved the chakrams :O

-Stable game and framerate. Never had a hard system freeze or a game breaking glitch. Can't say the same for similar open world game like some of the Elder Scrolls games or Divinity II.

-Ability to respec your character if you don't like your build.

-Factions quests had really interesting stories. The House of Ballads and the Travelers in particular made the best use of your "fateless" status and it was really great to see the quest line plot unfold.

-Huge world with lot of content. You can probably play for over 100 hours if you want. Moreover, the game avoided some pitfalls of other open world RPGs like Xenoblade for instance. While there is a lot of minor quests, all of the dialog related to them are voiced and unique. Additionally, they also use unique dungeons which is a big plus. The game won't force you to kill the same palette swap monstesr in every areas to get their drops. It's a bit more deep than that.

-You can continue exploring and playing after beating the end boss. The game even acknowledge that you beat the bad guy and that you are free to explore.

-Spells are really cool and fun to use. I like how some spells like Ice barrage had two modes. One which is a weak attack and the other one being a more powerful version requiring to charge the spell. This way you are never stuck with no spell available (in a case where all of them would be in cooldown) if you play your cards well.

-You can try to discover alchemy recipes yourself without buying the recipes for the potion.

**CONS**

-Main plot was really boring, generic and short. The plot isn't good at keeping you thrilled about the mystery of your death and resurrection.The execution was also sometimes a bit iffy. For instance, some character will start explaining important stuff to you in the middle of a battle where you can't really pay attention to them.

-Only 4 skills can be binded to the UI. This was annoying early on but eventually I didn't care as I was so overpowered that it wasn't worth it anymore to have access to all of my skills. The game do needs a power wheel like ME/DA. Moreover, the game do have an item wheel which I almost never used as healing items are already binded to the dpad. Seems like a bit of a overkill and made the lack of a power wheel a bit more frustrating.

-Not enough gems to make. After 10 hours I could already make all of the gems in the game including epics gem (which by the way I only ever found one armor with an epic slot). Moreover many combinations give the same results for instance there are many gems combinations that gives armor bonus, health bonus and mana bonus.

-Game is super easy even on hard. I always felt I was stronger that most of the enemies and bosses I faced. Even before I had access to spell like Meteor, using reckoning mode and spamming my elementary spells would kill most bosses under 30 seconds. My meteor spell was also causing 2500+ damage in the end. It usually wiped everything in one hit or left enemies near death. It also killed the Balor in like 1 hit after you knock him on the ground.

-Not many different types of enemies. This is particularly evident in the last area where the game simply throws trolls after trolls at you as there isn't anything else to use outside of a nishkaru or two.

-I rarely found anything worthwhile to buy in stores. By the end of the game I had close to 2 millions bucks and I only played for 37 hours. I also don't understand why would anyone pay the blacksmith to repair their stuff. A repair kit set cost like 100 gold and repair like 10 pieces of equipment and the blacksmith will do the same for 20000+ for good gears you have.

--Not enough backpacks to buy. My inventory was always full of loots.

**BUGS I FOUND*** (360 version)

-Framerate randomly drops to below 15 FPS in some of the Warsworn compounds and do so randomly.

-Got glitched in doors twice which required me to reload my save.

-Weird glitch I got near the end of the game: Spells started costing health instead of mana for a reason I'm not sure (it isn't equipment based as I checked every single piece I had on my character). I had a huge amount of mana and lot of mana cost reductions and mana pool bonuses stacked from armors and weapons. What is weirder is that the first spell would cost health and the rest would be basically free to cast. If I healed my character to full health, the next spell would cost health and the rest would be free until my life went back to 100%

I'd give it a 8-8.5 score on my scale

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Maybe the scaling should be implemented to all the world, all the areas. No "limited scaling". When you're at level 5, everyone/thing that wants to bash your head in is at level 5 too. Level 10? Level 10 for everyone.

And for harder difficulties, implement something like the enemy will always be 5 levels above your character or something. And they should be able to break level caps: if your character is at level 40, then all hostiles will be at level 45.

ReaperXL7

just figured I'd show off Krom as I just snagged one of the most badass greatswords i've seen yet.

DSCF2007.jpg

DSCF2008.jpg

relying on uniques and sets was the best thing I ever did. I have no clue why devs even put crafting in games with a major focus on loot as it will simply defeat the purpose of farming random loot when you can tailor make stuff to your liking. Although those of you sticking to crafting don't look very sharp :p

Going to have to find the rest of the corinthian set, Just got the greaves and now I want the whole thing.

Maybe the scaling should be implemented to all the world, all the areas. No "limited scaling". When you're at level 5, everyone/thing that wants to bash your head in is at level 5 too. Level 10? Level 10 for everyone.

And for harder difficulties, implement something like the enemy will always be 5 levels above your character or something. And they should be able to break level caps: if your character is at level 40, then all hostiles will be at level 45.

Oblivion did that, and there were many tears to be had about it.

scy

Just use their current method but without the setting of the cap permanently. Enter level 15-25 zone at level 4? It's level 15. Come back at level 20? It's level 20. Come back at level 30? It's 25. Maybe it makes zones stay your level longer but you still eventually out level it.

That or some tweaking to it so it permanently sets to your level if you're within the actual range of the zone but not if you're below it? Not sure if that really solves too many problems, though.

I'd give it a 8-8.5 score on my scale
I'm not done with the game myself yet (60+ hours into it), but I think your review is right on point. I noticed the Warsworn framerate issue on the PS3, too.

I got two notable glitches in the game...one being pretty damn awesome.

1. The UI disappeared. No health/fate/mana meter or map on the screen. To be honest, that was actually quite refreshing. Things felt more open and free with the screen uncluttered. It reset after I fast traveled somewhere, and it's probably a good thing it fixed itself. Having to press select to see the map all the time would've gotten a bit annoying, but it was fun while it lasted.

2. The "interact" button would stop working. Couldn't open doors, chests, or talk to people. This caused a bit of panic because I was actually inside a building when this happened, so I couldn't fast travel out. Luckily, it fixed itself after I reloaded the save. This ended up happening a couple more times throughout the game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Things that annoy me in Kingdoms of Amalur (updated later when I can remember more):

- The player character who already knows the name of places, characters, or terms he/she shouldn't have known when he/she talks to someone. You know, when you select a topic in a conversation in this game and people explain stuff.

- The camera who is operated by a Tuatha by trying to actively screw the player character at every opportunity, especially against bigger enemies. "See that big dude about to launch a deadly attack or ram you with his flaming body? HEEYYYY THAT WALL AND FLOOR LOOK SO INTERESTING WHY DON'T I GET YOU TO LOOK AT THAT INSTEAD!"

- Full blacksmithing skill. High level weaponry, cool stats, awesome powers. Salvage it. Get only basic grip and weak rivets! Me: >___________________________________________>

- Also, is it only me but Mal Senshir's music is... cut or something?

Hawk269

That's the crux, IMO only, tweaking hard mode would hose the LARGE portion of people already playing it, who may like it as is.
I think, again imo, that the potential fix would be to ADD a level of difficulty.
The ONLY tweaks I could imagine being even considered for a hard mode change would be timers on heal potions, something small in stature, but huge game play implications.

Disregard. Mis-read what Curt was saying and what he would do to the "hard" mode, not a new difficulty mode. My apologies to you Curt.

Wallach

In all due respect Curt, only tweaking the timers for heal is not going to make the game harder. It is fundementaly un-balanced. I dont want to be rude, but going with the notion of only adding a cool-down to potions and calling it nightmare or superhard is dillusional to be blunt.

There is more to making the game more challenging than *ONLY* timers on heal potions. People are so overpowered as it is that they are not even using health potions, so having a timer on them is pointless to say the least.

I really feel this game is hopelessly beyond repair and with the thought process of "Hey, lets add a timer to health potions and call it "nightmare mode" that will fix the balance issues in the entire game" and will resolve the "difficulty issue". Owner or not, the most basic gamer knows that this "band-aid" aint going to do shit for the difficulty issue.

Uh, he said that the only change he would make for hard mode would be the potions. Not a new difficulty.

In all due respect Curt, only tweaking the timers for heal is not going to make the game harder. It is fundementaly un-balanced. I dont want to be rude, but going with the notion of only adding a cool-down to potions and calling it nightmare or superhard is dillusional to be blunt.

Pretty sure he's referring to making those minor adjustments to hard mode so as not to peeve people who are satisfied with its level of difficulty.

scy

I really feel this game is hopelessly beyond repair...

I don't think it's beyond repair, personally. There's a lot of small things that could be tweaked to get things more in-line. Perhaps it won't fix everything (because someone somewhere will complain regardless) but I think there's plenty to be done to bridge the gaps.

Anyway, I apparently missed a few quests (notably, a few of the Echostones) on my first run :( Farming a boss to see the Uniques/Sets I never got at the low level bracket and ... damn, there's a lot.

Glip_Glop

People are so overpowered as it is that they are not even using health potions
I don't know if I just suck at games now, but people keep saying this, and yet I'm still using potions. Granted I'm only at level 12, but I'm using a minor health potion at least once during a "boss" battle.

Hawk269

I don't know if I just suck at games now, but people keep saying this, and yet I'm still using potions. Granted I'm only at level 12, but I'm using a minor health potion at least once during a "boss" battle.

Once you hit 20 or so with all the loot and if you do alot of side quests, you basically will become a God in the game.

Hawk269

I don't think it's beyond repair, personally. There's a lot of small things that could be tweaked to get things more in-line. Perhaps it won't fix everything (because someone somewhere will complain regardless) but I think there's plenty to be done to bridge the gaps.

Anyway, I apparently missed a few quests (notably, a few of the Echostones) on my first run :( Farming a boss to see the Uniques/Sets I never got at the low level bracket and ... damn, there's a lot.

For starters, I dont think they should mess with the existing difficulty modes because some people, like Curt said, perhaps like that way it is. Adding another, entirely new mode would allow them to do all these tweaks to make the game like most games where the balance is not broken in the game.

scy

Man, trying to finish a set I like the look of and I really do wish that you got a socket for every matching piece. Would be a nice incentive. I really shouldn't have thought of that because I look at sets and keep going, "Man, would be great with a few slots." :(

It's a combination of things. Player power generally scales better than enemies do is the primary culprit. That's not necessarily a bad thing, per se, but it's one of those things that is (personally, anyway) disappointing for hard mode.

I guess the culprit is that eventually, other factors can replace player skill for making things easy. I think that's probably the best way to word how I feel about the game's difficulty. My no Potion, no Reckoning, limited tradeskills (though, I'll probably ditch them all soon), etc. run isn't really "harder" than before but I'm relying a lot more on playing well rather than other things to make up for it.

For starters, I dont think they should mess with the existing difficulty modes because some people, like Curt said, perhaps like that way it is. Adding another, entirely new mode would allow them to do all these tweaks to make the game like most games where the balance is not broken in the game.

Yeah, that's why I'm a staunch supporter for a new mode. The goal should be rebalancing difficulty while stepping on the least amount of toes. There's plenty of people here and over on the Reckoning forums that are perfectly fine with the difficulty and they shouldn't have to deal with our problems with the game.

Wallach

The only two things I think should be messed with in current difficulties:

- Potion cooldown for health/mana

- All crafted items

If you just touch on potions, it isn't going to matter that much ultimately, because Alchemy/Blacksmithing/Sagecrafting are still going to trivialize your effforts. Plus, if you don't address the crafted items, making a Nightmare mode that isn't awful would be incredibly difficult in the first place.

Vamphuntr

I guess it also depends on your build and if you use gems a lot? As a mage you don't really have to take part in the fray for instance. You can summon a minion and spam magic from behind. The blink dodge is also super useful to prevent getting hit by enemies.

Reckoning mode is basically a win button for boss battles :S

Wallach said:

- All crafted items

If you just touch on potions, it isn't going to matter that much ultimately, because Alchemy/Blacksmithing/Sagecrafting are still going to trivialize your effforts. Plus, if you don't address the crafted items, making a Nightmare mode that isn't awful would be incredibly difficult in the first place.

The thing is that it's hard to modify the crafting system. The big mistake they made is that you level up the crafting skills simply by leveling up and not by crafting items. They should have separated experience level and crafting level. Moreover, they shouldn't have made all materials available early on. For instance, all the crystal shards can be acquired early on (and there aren't that many of them, 7-8 maybe that you power up by fusing them).

If you put all your level up point in the same skill, at level 10 you basically have a master craft skill already!

scy

- All crafted items

I do think a global limitation to what you can create would be nice. Maybe no duplicate gems?

I think my ideal "fix" for Gems in Blacksmithing would just be letting you use a shard and not a completed gem. But that's probably overkill.

Edit: At the very least, the Regen Gems should be out of combat only ideally. Might be too much though? Dunno, I just try not to use them.

Grinchy

Banned
I did the gladiator arena quest line last night. That was so awesome. I loved the arena aspect, but also the story for it was really cool too.

I'm about level 18 now and I finally have a complaint about the difficulty, but it's only related to my tempest ability and the reckoning meter. Tempest is insanely powerful. Sure, you need the time to cast it, but at level 18, I've seen it do 1800+ damage to all the enemies around me. My mana regains so quickly that I can use it all the time. If I use it while in reckoning, well I think you understand how that will go.

Hawk269

- All crafted items

Hmmm...for a nightmare mode, what would your thoughts be on the following changes/tweaks:

1. Increase enemy HP by 25%
2. Cool down on Health Potions and the amount they heal for. In addition to the number that can be carried
3. Increase the amount of Exp. points required to level up from one level to the next level.
4. Increase the level requirements for high-powered loot.
5. Fix enemy scalling when entering new areas.

Wallach

I do think a global limitation to what you can create would be nice. Maybe no duplicate gems?

I think my ideal "fix" for Gems in Blacksmithing would just be letting you use a shard and not a completed gem. But that's probably overkill.

I think the most effective fix is simply a global cap on any form of multiplier. Blacksmithing is not all that broken if +% damage caps at, say, +50% (note this would not apply to Alchemy buffs as they are temporary and their purpose should basically be the ability to temporary push beyond these limits). As far as Sagecrafting, I feel like it's actually not a big deal except in conjunction with Blacksmithing; I would probably remove the ability to add gems/sockets to Blacksmithed gear altogether. It trivializes socketed gear - Sagecrafting needs to stand on its own as a skill more, like Alchemy and Blacksmithing already do.

ElyrionX

You cannot add cooldowns on potions without also changing the way some of the in-game mechanics are handled.

For example, there is a very noticeable startup and cooldown "lag" when blinking and this makes fights against projectile-based enemies extremely difficult. It gets even harder when there are multiple enemies on screen such as in fights against three or more mages or in that House of Ballads finale. Adding a potion cooldown would make House of Ballads fight practically impossible for mages and maybe even rogues.

ElyrionX

Also, I'm a Level 22 pure Sorcery on Hard and I'm just wandering around in Erathell now, which is my first region after leaving the forests. I haven't touched Blacksmithing thus far and the game has remained fairly challenging. If I start playing sloppily, I can get killed quite easily by regular mobs around the plains. Am I doing it wrong or does the difficulty only drop significantly later on or only with Blacksmithing?

scy

Hmmm...for a nightmare mode, what would your thoughts be on the following changes/tweaks:

1. Increase enemy HP by 25%
2. Cool down on Health Potions and the amount they heal for. In addition to the number that can be carried
3. Increase the amount of Exp. points required to level up from one level to the next level.
4. Increase the level requirements for high-powered loot.
5. Fix enemy scalling when entering new areas.

I think Enemy HP (and damage output) is more or less fine. Perhaps a bump just for the sake of a difficulty raise but it shouldn't be the primary source of changing things. I'd personally like to see that mini-bosses/bosses are given permanent Relentless Assault so you can't flinch them. Fixing itemization should handle the primary ways of just steamrolling encounters.

As for leveling, I think it's better to fix the underlying system for the enemies rather than the player's leveling speed. For instance, scale them the same way as the current system but as (PlayerLevel + 2). If a zone scales 15-25, have it stay that range but at level 25, they're effectively level 27 instead. Just an example, not really sure if this would mean much overall in the end (and still wouldn't fix the outleveling of content without raising some level caps in zones).

I think the most effective fix is simply a global cap on any form of multiplier. Blacksmithing is not all that broken if +% damage caps at, say, +50%.

I dislike that because it puts the same limitation on Uniques/Sets, though I wonder if you'd reach a maximum that way anyway. I'd rather limit what you can produce from Blacksmithing itself than limit what you can reach. Though, that's more from the viewpoint of fixing itemization as a whole rather than rebalancing the game. Perhaps some kind of combination of the two.

I think I would prefer to fix Blacksmithing on the bonuses you can stack rather than capping what you can reach. Removing the ability to put +Damage Resistance multiple times per equipment slot would go a long way to fixing invulnerability, for instance. I'd rather limit what Blacksmithing can produce so it's not the BEST option for every possible bonus you could imagine; it should be the BEST option for tailoring equipment to meet your build but not the best everything always.

As far as Sagecrafting, I feel like it's actually not a big deal except in conjunction with Blacksmithing; I would probably remove the ability to add gems/sockets to Blacksmithed gear altogether. It trivializes socketed gear - Sagecrafting needs to stand on its own as a skill more, like Alchemy and Blacksmithing already do.

Like I said above, maybe make it to add Shards rather than finished Gems? Makes it so you're adding minor amounts of resistance, Armor, HP, or Mana for that slot rather than the completed gems. Kind of makes the bonus a bit underwhelming though, I suppose.

As for Sagecrafting, I really like the idea I put on the Reckoning forums of giving Sets a socket as you equip multiples. Sagecrafting doesn't get to stand out by itself much just due to the lack of useful socketed items. Maybe add them to (more) Uniques? Don't know if that's excessive or not, though ...

Just feels like there's not a good source of equipment to actually USE Sagecrafting on besides the current implementation of Blacksmithing. Without Blacksmithing, I'd probably never use Sagecrafting instead of Uniques/Sets, to be honest.

Also, I'm a Level 22 pure Sorcery on Hard and I'm just wandering around in Erathell now, which is my first region after leaving the forests. I haven't touched Blacksmithing thus far and the game has remained fairly challenging. If I start playing sloppily, I can get killed quite easily by regular mobs around the plains. Am I doing it wrong or does the difficulty only drop significantly later on or only with Blacksmithing?

Blacksmithing is a good chunk of it but it's a combination of a lot of smaller things that add up. Not using Blacksmithing is probably the easiest way to make the game harder for yourself, however.

Aselith

The thing is that it's hard to modify the crafting system. The big mistake they made is that you level up the crafting skills simply by leveling up and not by crafting items. They should have separated experience level and crafting level. Moreover, they shouldn't have made all materials available early on. For instance, all the crystal shards can be acquired early on (and there aren't that many of them, 7-8 maybe that you power up by fusing them).

If you put all your level up point in the same skill, at level 10 you basically have a master craft skill already!

FUCK. NO. Keep your crafting grind out of my Amalur, thank you very much.

Also, they restrict leveling crafting in the game. You can't even go into putting points toward the last tier of crafting until level 18 (I believe it was) so that end sentence is completely wrong.

Top Bottom