• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

Finally getting around to starting this (wanted to get through Life is Strange ep4; should make for an interesting comparison). 10 minutes in.

I know nothing about the way this series is planned to play out, so I'm assuming that you'll eventually play as the girl, and item #1 on my mental checklist of stuff they're setting her up to do: Hit a dragon in the eye with an arrow.

The game looks pretty good so far, much better than it did in videos, but the UI (while minimal) is an eyesore. Hope they pretty it up a bit.

Zolo

I know nothing about the way this series is planned to play out, so I'm assuming that you'll eventually play as the girl, and item #1 on my mental checklist of stuff they're setting her up to do: Hit a dragon in the eye with an arrow.

In the original King's Quest series, you pretty much play as all of Graham's family at some point.

In the original King's Quest series, you pretty much play as all of Graham's family at some point.

Looking at the images for each chapter in the menu, this game will focus on Graham all the way through with perhaps a Gwendolyn-focused epilogue. If they make another after that, I hope we get a new Alexander, Rosella or even Gwendolyn story.

georly

Ok, playing through a 3rd time (to do more of the alternate path things).

During the
goblin part, he mentions defeating them
swiftly or with patience, anyone know how to do it with patience?

Both my last runs I did it swiftly and got the
portrait with the dead goblin in the end.
I wanna know how to do it with patience.

I really love how
the final portrait before the credits shows all the choices you made that run. I'm really curious to see how those affect future episodes.

Edit:
I think it's just by not killing them? First shot only to disarm them and then leave them be? Apparently you get a white flag in the end portrait for it.

Looking at the images for each chapter in the menu, this game will focus on Graham all the way through with perhaps a Gwendolyn-focused epilogue. If they make another after that, I hope we get a new Alexander, Rosella or even Gwendolyn story.

Yeah, i'm guessing this game is all graham focused, so KQ1, KQ2, KQ5, and then 2 new time periods, I assume. Probably handled like how they handled KQ1 by showing off an alternate version of something we've played followed by all new stuff taking place either before or after KQ2/5.

I'd hope season 2 could focus on the kids, alexander and rosella. *IF* this gets a season 2. Hardly anyone is talking about it. At this point we might be lucky if we finish season 1 ;_;

Edit 2: Also, got em!

CLc47npWcAATEWM.png:large

CLc5vA5WIAAt9QF.png:large

RetroMG

Edit:
I think it's just by not killing them? First shot only to disarm them and then leave them be? Apparently you get a white flag in the end portrait for it.

This is correct.
Just shoot each goblin once, and you can safely ignore any of the ones without spears.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, the GiantBomb quicklook sold me on this game, the tone looks exactly like what I'm looking for at the moment and the voicework and general cleverness seem fucking excellent. Ep 1 installing now

There are a couple modern niceties I wish this had, namely a run / brisk walk button and a bit more visual feedback on what object you're focusing on ("Grim-head" isn't quite enough as the camera is often far away), but for the most part I'm frigging delighted by this. The tone is fantastic. I only played a couple of the original games, I was definitively on the Lucas side of things in the 90s, but this does really feel like a happy medium between the originals and Princess Bride.

I'd be happy if they went with a mostly-new royal family for future games. Like the original plan for Quest for Glory beyond 5; focus on the children exploring new lands, leave the original hero be.

I'd be happy if they went with a mostly-new royal family for future games. Like the original plan for Quest for Glory beyond 5; focus on the children exploring new lands, leave the original hero be.

Well, I really want to see (and hear) Alexander, Rosella and Valanice in this fantastic new version of the world. If I can't play as those characters in new adventures, I at least hope for them to make appearances.

Come to think of it, I could see them pop up in the current season considering we will play as Graham after he's become a family man.

I guess you could say Valanice already showed up but we only heard her voice.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fuck this game

My father was a knight, and my grandfather was a knight, and his father was a dentist, but his father was also a knight. So basically I come from a long line of protecting crowns

Elios83

Just finished the first episode, this has been a really nice surprise, it's really charming, lots of humor, really interesting story, it's mostly a pure adventure game but it also has a few action/platforms parts. It also has nice graphics with great art style (definetly better than the Telletales games at least).
And the first episode lasted a lot, probably something like 6 hours which is close to a full single player campaign already.
Really recommended to the fans of the adventure genres.
My only complaints are just that puzzles could be a bit harder and technically there's a bit of stuttering caused by loading/streaming stuff in the background(PS4 version).

Man I'm stumped
trying to get in to the bridge troll meeting
. Not looking for hints but it feels good to be back adventuring with Graham.

Stet

Banned
Just finished the game. The RPS review is even more strange now. The only thing that the game owes to The Princess Bride is the character of Manny, and even still it's just his name and the
powder
business.

Is The Princess Bride literally the only fantasy / swashbuckling / adventure film the reviewer has ever seen?

Fuz

Banned
Played it for a while at a friend's place. I'm a diehard point & click adventure fan, while he is not. And we both didn't like it.
I'm in line with the RPS review on this.

spinz

Played it for a while at a friend's place. I'm a diehard point & click adventure fan, while he is not. And we both didn't like it.
I'm in line with the RPS review on this.

if you only played the first 2 hours, then you missed out on the last 4 hours where it gets to adventure roots.

Fuz

Banned
if you only played the first 2 hours, then you missed out on the last 4 hours where it gets to adventure roots.

We got to the part after you get the eye. Got the first mouthpiece and the lantern.
Then the insane amount of legwork and the unskippable dialogues/scenes tired us out and we stopped.

We got to the part after you get the eye. Got the first mouthpiece and the lantern.
Then the insane amount of legwork and the unskippable dialogues/scenes tired us out and we stopped.
Are you sure you are a diehard adventure game fan? Sounds like you want some new age streamlined adventure game. This is right in line with all the classics.

Fuz

Banned
More streamlined than this? Running around back and forth just to stretch the play time doesn't mean it's deep. Unskippable dialogues aren't deep.
It's got a mono-key interface where you can't even combine objects together and it's full of QTEs. Can't get more streamlined than this.

On the plus side it's got lots of charm and it's very nicely looking, but the gameplay itself is just terrible.

More streamlined than this? Running around back and forth just to stretch the play time doesn't mean it's deep. Unskippable dialogues aren't deep.
It's got a mono-key interface where you can't even combine objects together and it's full of QTEs. Can't get more streamlined than this.

On the plus side it's got lots of charm and it's very nicely looking, but the gameplay itself is just terrible.
I'm curious why you think it sticks out for running around a lot. That seems very typical to me for an adventure game. I can understand the QTE complaints but that boils down to different tastes I think.

spinz

i can understand for a 2nd playthrough, but why would you want to skip cutscenes when you dont know whats going to happen? Very rarely did i ever have to repeat cutscenes, and the times that i did they were short. Im thankful for the "running around back and forth", because its real exploration, just like any of the other kq games.
Cant get more streamlined than this? Go ahead and play an episode of telltale's game of thrones. Then you'll know the meaning of streamlined.

I've done quite the 180 with my opinion of this game, the more I see. From really liking it to hating it.

In some respects, I think it does what it needs to do to introduce the series to people raised on Zelda: Ocarina of Time. In others, I feel like this game doesn't really have an identity of its own, and the name dropping of places and items from past games gets a bit old and overwrought.

Just not digging this to the same degree as Life is Strange, which is perfectly ok really.

I'm on board if there's a sequel where Gwendolyn's the MC, and they pull in more elements from Quest for Glory. This game somehow feels more like QfG than KQ in its character, I think it's a mix of the goofy humor and the focus on action segments.

More actiony things would be welcome, if they're done as well if they were in this chapter.

Stainless

I'm stuck on something and could use some help -
I can't get into the bridge troll meeting. I listened for the password and I have the bell and know what it is but inventory won't let me use the bell.

PolishQ

Just finished the game. The RPS review is even more strange now. The only thing that the game owes to The Princess Bride is the character of Manny, and even still it's just his name and the
powder
business.

Is The Princess Bride literally the only fantasy / swashbuckling / adventure film the reviewer has ever seen?

To be fair, The Princess Bride also has a similar framing device (story being told to a child).

Sciz

I can't get into the bridge troll meeting. I listened for the password and I have the bell and know what it is but inventory won't let me use the bell.

Hint:
The bells in your inventory aren't loud enough. Remember what the troll did.

PolishQ

powder
business.

Also, you do realize that Manny's voice actor is Wallace Shawn, who was in The Princess Bride, right?

saunderez

I almost skipped this because I thought it was still being developed by Telltale...what a mistake that would have been. It's absolutely reminded me why I loved Sierra adventure games so much and I hereby give permission for a Space Quest reimagining. Justice could definitely be done for Roger Wilco in game done pretty much the same way. I think space janitor fuckup extraordinare could be just as timeless.

This one got me too. The answer is right in front of you.

blackjaw

I almost skipped this because I thought it was still being developed by Telltale...what a mistake that would have been. It's absolutely reminded me why I loved Sierra adventure games so much and I hereby give permission for a Space Quest reimagining. Justice could definitely be done for Roger Wilco in game done pretty much the same way. I think space janitor fuckup extraordinare could be just as timeless.

I'd love a new Space Quest!

taoofjord

I'm a little over halfway through and I'm really pleased with the game. The story and voice acting are great. I feel like I'm playing through a combination of a lot of stuff I grew up loving (Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Princess Bride, The Last Unicorn, Jim Henson's The Storyteller, LotR, The Hobbit). They really nailed the stuff I love about the genre.

Some things I'd like improved on in future episodes:

- More life and color in the environments (the lighting is really flat, the town of Daventry is visually bland)

- Less QTE's

- No more repeating cutscenes when you die or try talking to a character/interacting with something again.

Can't wait for the next ones!

Just finished the game. Enjoyed it a lot, but the Quick Time Events really need to go. Every section with a QTE could of been handled better by giving the player more control in the situation with options to use at any time. For example "Press X to jump" should of just been press X at anytime to jump without a button prompt. Really unfortunate.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
PC specific question: Does anybody know where the game puts it's savefiles?
I've been searching for awhile but I can't find it. Maybe i've looked right past it.
I'm going to have to do a clean install of Windows, so a backup would be nice.

Stet

Banned
To be fair, The Princess Bride also has a similar framing device (story being told to a child).

Do you think this is somehow unique to The Princess Bride? A story being told to someone else is a narrative trope that's been around since at least Chaucer, and the fact that it's a child is in no way a concept invented by a film from the 80s.

Let's not confuse narrative device for narrative, either, because the plot is completely different and the reasons for Graham telling the story to the girl don't mirror The Princess Bride at all.

You might as well say that this is a copy of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, but nobody would say that because it's idiotic.

Also, you do realize that Manny's voice actor is Wallace Shawn, who was in The Princess Bride, right?

Yeah, and this is pretty much the only reason why the reviewer even brought the film up. Had he not been reminded of Manny because of the obvious homage, he would never have applied such a thin and poorly thought-out creative criticism to the story.

Between that and the obvious hypocritical flaw of calling out other reviewers for rose-coloured glasses when he's looking through the lens of choosing to review both a genre and a series that he already hates, it's pretty clear that he'd be a shit reviewer or "journalist" in any medium or for any genre.

Jeels

Finished episode 1. Wow, what an incredible value. And so much charm and beauty. I think this is my GOTY so far. The most amazing thing is it was never on my radar.

More people need to give this game a chance.

petghost

Banned
Enjoyed the first episode. I was pleasantly surprised by the presence of puzzles and the ability to do things out of order I was expecting it to be telltale style.

The battle of wits was actually a really fun game.

Alcander

Just finished the first chapter -- what a wonderful surprise. I love the tone and uniqueness of the world (I never played the originals); the game is actually quite funny, too.

Things I hope are improved for ch 2:
- skippable cutscenes
- variable walking speeds
- some sort of mouse control while walking (played on PC, annoying to have super binary walking choices)
- Maybe a more continuous soundtrack -- i thought the soundtrack was beautiful but having it change every "zone" you go through made it sort of jarring

BokehKing

Banned
I'm on a two week vacation from working, I have not watched any TV or played any games.... But I downloaded this and I am pleasantly surprised.

I never played the originals, but add in Christopher Lloyd and this is the perfect game to get me out of my gaming funk.

wouwie

Just started playing this. It's too early to say anything about the game itself but i'm impressed with the production values. I love the visual style and graphics. It looks amazing. I was never quite sure about the visual style in the trailers but once you see it on your screen, it works great. I do miss a free rotatable camera though but i guess it makes sense for an adventure game. The animation is great too.

Voice acting is solid, sound effects are nice and the soundtrack is good.

It's clear that a lot of work has gone into making this game and it certainly oozes atmosphere. I look forward to playing more.

wouwie

I just finished the game. I enjoyed it a lot and i'm quite impressed with the overall quality. Apparently, the developer's track record wasn't all that impressive but i feel they put a lot of hard work and passion into this first chapter of King's Quest (a franchise that i never played before).

The production values are impressive. The soundtrack is superb, the voice acting is top and i love the visual style and animation. Seriously, it's one of my favourite games visually and i was blown away at times. The atmosphere is great and it's funny. I feel this game has a heart and a soul. Technically, it's quite solid too (played on PS4) although there are framerate issues due to loading, which becomes quite apparent when you move through the world at a rapid pace.

Gameplay wise, it's a bit of a mixed bag. I don't feel the need for deaths and i still don't understand why developers keep thinking that QTE's add something fun to a game but there was enough proper adventure gameplay in there to balance things out. My biggest issue gameplay wise is that there were a bit too much "empty" scenes without little to no interaction. A few more hotspots to look at or interact with would have been nice. I felt like much of the game was spent going through the world instead of interacting with it.

Some things i would like to see improved:
- A more continuous soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, the soundtrack is superb. But most tunes last only a few screens and when you travel through the world, it just cuts from one tune to the other.
- More interaction (more things to look at or do something with)
- Smoother framerates when loading
- A world that feels slightly more alive (e.g. trees moving,..)
- a mini map (the world might be to small for that though) or a few more shortcuts
- skippable dialogue. Not that i usually skip dialogues but sometimes the same dialogue was said more than once.

I can't wait to see what's next. It's going to be interesting to see if the developers can keep up the quality in the next chapters and i'm curious how long each chapter will be (chapter 1 had a solid length). So far, i'm rather impressed with King's Quest.

I'm curious though: are there many different paths to take? How much different is the game depending on the choices you make?

spinz

I'm curious though: are there many different paths to take? How much different is the game depending on the choices you make?

theres a lot of things that can be done differently.
For example
you can choose whether you want to set the dragon free in the prologue sequence.
Also theres different orders and solutions for a lot of the puzzles for example
for getting the beasts eye theres 3 different approaches, you can go to the dragons cave to get it, or give the troll a snack, or use the pumpkin to make it look like an eye.
Theres also some impact with dialogue choices,
what you tell gwendolyn changes the fight scene at the end.
When you beat the episode the art screen it shows you are pictures of choices you made that can change.

spekkeh

Banned
Thought it was a fun little adventure. Don't get the comparisons with TWD at all, it's really a throwback to classic adventures I thought (though perhaps a bit more SCUMM than the Sierra/King's Quest games). Loved the (grand)dad humor throughout. I even got infuriatingly stuck a number of times... classic Sierra. King's Quest 2 is my earliest pc game memory, so it was nicely nostalgic, even though John Walker could be right that it's mostly nostalgia and the original game sucked.

The only real problem I have is that the story just meandered a bit (well and the unskippable dialog). I liked my time with it but I could do without buying the other episodes? It really didn't deliver a lasting impression, nor the desire to see how it proceeds.

Top Bottom