• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

wouwie

"Before the end of the year" sounds like 4-5 months between episodes, with it finishing around the end of next year. Slower than I expected when I bought the subscription, but the game is also better than I expected.

It's good to have some idea of the schedule.

There was an interview quite recently (may/june iirc) where the developer said that they started working on chapter 2 while putting the finishing touches on chapter 1. It surprised me since i thought they would have at least two chapters almost ready before releasing the first one (similar to LIS). It seems to me that they are developing each chapter in between releasing, which seems like a really tight schedule, even for 4-5 months and especially given chapter 1's length.

So yeah, i'm curious if they will manage to keep up the quality and length in each episode but realistically speaking, i think we are looking at the end of 2016 before all episodes are out. As long as each chapter is as good as the first one (which i thought was amazing), i don't mind waiting. I'd rather have a good game than a rushed game.

weekev

Banned
There was an interview quite recently (may/june iirc) where the developer said that they started working on chapter 2 while putting the finishing touches on chapter 1. It surprised me since i thought they would have at least two chapters almost ready before releasing the first one (similar to LIS). It seems to me that they are developing each chapter in between releasing, which seems like a really tight schedule, even for 4-5 months and especially given chapter 1's length.

So yeah, i'm curious if they will manage to keep up the quality and length in each episode but realistically speaking, i think we are looking at the end of 2016 before all episodes are out. As long as each chapter is as good as the first one (which i thought was amazing), i don't mind waiting. I'd rather have a good game than a rushed game.
On a plus side most of the groundwork with the game engine, artwork and textures etc will already be done, so its not like they are completely starting from scratch for each episode. Im glad this has turned out good and will likely get it when the full game is finished.

I grew up playing King's Quest games and really enjoyed playing through this. I apparently went the "kindness" route the majority of the time. I didn't know there were "paths" per se; I just went with the flow of what I found to be the logical way to solve the quests. Will probably give it another play through before Episode 2 drops, which I hope is relatively soon!

On a plus side most of the groundwork with the game engine, artwork and textures etc will already be done, so its not like they are completely starting from scratch for each episode. Im glad this has turned out good and will likely get it when the full game is finished.

I just hope there won't be too many recycled environments in the coming episodes, so the sense of discovery and wonder can be sustained.

spinz

I just hope there won't be too many recycled environments in the coming episodes, so the sense of discovery and wonder can be sustained.

well, traditionally thats always been a part of what episodic means. The episodes share assets. But yeah hopefully that doesnt mean we backtrack more. Although i wouldnt mind some revisiting. Unfortunately the game sales may also become a factor in how much newer content they can add.

RetroMG

Well, Episode One has two areas that are specifically called out as foreshadowing. (
The cave behind where you first meet the merchant, and the entrance to Castle Daventry.
) Call me jaded, but I am assuming that those two areas will be in Episode Two, but that the areas inbetween will still be around (albeit probably somewhat changed.)

EDIT: Sorry, meant to spoiler tag that the first time.

FrsDvl

I noticed this the other day, apparently my Library, has a disc version of episode 1 and 2 on order.

ar77ZgD.jpg

Considering this is the library, and they never really make stuff up when it comes to video games, I'm assuming it's legit.

Not sure why they would only release episode 1 and 2 on a disc together rather than that they wait for the full season.

Edit: just found it at Walmart.CA as as well

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/kings-quest-episodes-12-ps4/6000195026886

Box art is for complete collection though.

Ultimadrago

I'm playing the first episode right now and really digging the artstyle and dialogue. This is a great start! I pray they keep it up.
AU7Amsc.gif

This game was an excellent surprise. This is what adventure games should be. Certainly better than anything Telltale has put out in recent years, in terms of puzzles (which don't really exist in Telltale "adventures" as far as I can tell) and actual gameplay.

wouwie

I can't wait for chapter 2. Chapter 1 was excellent. I wonder if they will be able to keep up with this quality and game length.

RetroMG

Every time this thread gets bumped, I'm hoping for an episode 2 release date.

Got to be soon, right? They only have a month left to meet their "before the end of the year" estimate.

spinz

Every time this thread gets bumped, I'm hoping for an episode 2 release date.

Got to be soon, right? They only have a month left to meet their "before the end of the year" estimate.

less than that. A stupid industry secret: most major publishers wont push releases in december. Borderline superstition that consumers wont pay any attention to them because of the holidays. Im afraid the best case scenario is: theyr going to submit it for final approval to activision, and activision is going to be like "cool, after the holidays."

wouwie

According to The Odd Gentlemen's twitter, it will come before the end of the year. They confirmed this multiple times in the last few days.

Really, if anything, I'd expect it to be held back until New Year's if they keep that estimate. For those who've already ordered the full series, then its delivered as a 'free' gift to see in the New Yew with a new King, whilst dodging the supposed psychology around not spending on anything that won't be a christmas present for someone else. For those who have episode 1 but not the full collection (to my slight annoyance because of the epilogue), then episode 2 will still be a relatively cheap buy at a point where they no longer have to, again, think about spending on presents and little else.

jariw

According to The Odd Gentlemen's twitter, it will come before the end of the year. They confirmed this multiple times in the last few days.

Has there been any mention regarding when all 5 chapters are planned to be available?

Looking for some help gaffers -
im out of coins and dont know what to do. I cant buy the weed whacker. I cant buy the pie even though i gave the two ingredients...i DID buy the candle... But when i try to use it on the cave Acorn kicks me out and claims the wolves eyes are his.... Any ideas? Thanks.

figured it out -
had to look it up unfortunately.... i musta missed something because using the jackolantern as a fake eye is pretty absurd... when did they allude to what the eye looked like or if i could use a faux eye???

Oneself

So, thanks to PS Plus, I started playing chapter 1 this morning. I was curious to try it for a while, but as I am not really into adventure/point & click, I couldn't see myself paying for an episode, or collection etc.
I planned about 30 minutes to try it but I ended up playing a little over 2 hours.

Good God.

I'm 32 years old but I felt like a kid playing that game. I couldn't drop the controller. There's some kind of magic in there that's been lost in most games today. I don't know what it is exactly, but it's just as if I was "searching" for that type of feeling to be experienced again... A "something" lost growing up.

So yeah, I'll get the collection now. Thank you Odd Gentlemen.

Sciz

I'm 32 years old but I felt like a kid playing that game. I couldn't drop the controller. There's some kind of magic in there that's been lost in most games today. I don't know what it is exactly, but it's just as if I was "searching" for that type of feeling to be experienced again... A "something" lost growing up.

So yeah, I'll get the collection now. Thank you Odd Gentlemen.

You're not alone. There was a thread about that exact sentiment when it came out.

It's a fairy tale. The entire series is rooted in them, both as source material and as the tone it itself takes, and this one picked the mantle up and kept going like it hasn't been twenty years at all.

Zach

I was expecting this to be a try-for-a-second-and-delete PS+ game... but it's a delight! I think I'll start it again with my son...

Although the chapter select menu (on PS4) says episode 2 is "Available Now", selecting that comes up with: "This content cannot be selected at this time." :-[

Any time now...

melkier33

Although the chapter select menu (on PS4) says episode 2 is "Available Now", selecting that comes up with: "This content cannot be selected at this time." :-[

Any time now...

Man I hope its availablebefore the psn update tomorrow. Wish this game had more eyes on it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
yup. episode 1 was definitely a nostalgia trip. takes me back when sierra online was on top of the PC gaming world and point and click adventures were my favorite genre of game. i experienced my first death minutes into the game and had a good laugh.

wish they could get the episodes out faster but if the first was any indication these are a bit meatier than your usual TTG.

spinz

i wish i could wait to play all the episodes together... but i cant. Episode 1 was too good. Must play this week :)

wouwie

There was a big 7 Gb update yesterday (already downloaded) which i hope is chapter 2? I'll start playing tomorrow. I can't wait. I'm really curious if chapter 2 can maintain the quality of chapter 1. I hope so.

I re-played Chapter 1 this morning to refresh my memory, as well as to clear out the rest of the achievements I missed. It will be interesting to see if the virtue you favoured has any effect on things. I thought it had an impact on Gwendolyn somehow, but I think it may just be the piece of advice Graham gives her early on in the chapter.

Ashtar

I've been playing this game and it just makes me so happy, I suck at adventure games so I've needed some help with puzzles but man I dunno something about this game just gives me a big frigging grin across my face when I play.

It's honestly in my top 10 of this year's releases

Top Bottom