• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

Got home from work and started the 4GB download of chapter 2. Waited it out, and excited to finally sit down and play...nope! 6.7GB patch on top of that. Another 40 minutes or so until I can fire this up. Alas, gaming in 2015 on a nutshell.

I finished Chapter 2. It is noticeably shorter than Chapter 1(3 hours vs. 5), and a bit disappointing in terms of story. There just isn't a lot there.

I finished Chapter 2. It is noticeably shorter than Chapter 1(3 hours vs. 5), and a bit disappointing in terms of story. There just isn't a lot there.

My soul is currently being swallowed whole by Xenoblade Chronicles X so I didn't get a chance to play chapter 2 yet. I've been worried that lackluster sales might put a dent in the series's budget going forward. Hope that's not a sign of that. Is there a decent amount of new locations?

Sciz

Yeah, it's definitely a thinner experience this time around. Not a bad one, but lacking the sort of variety and tight narrative arc that made Chapter 1 such a delight. I get what they were going for, but the time driven, hub-based structure seems to be a poor fit for the series.

edit: A touch buggy, too. Nothing critical, but some visual hiccups here and there.

My soul is currently being swallowed whole by Xenoblade Chronicles X so I didn't get a chance to play chapter 2 yet. I've been worried that lackluster sales might put a dent in the series's budget going forward. Hope that's not a sign of that. Is there a decent amount of new locations?

Ch. 2 structural spoiler:
It hardly reuses any old locations, surprisingly. Lower overall room count compared to Chapter 1 though.

Got home from work and started the 4GB download of chapter 2. Waited it out, and excited to finally sit down and play...nope! 6.7GB patch on top of that. Another 40 minutes or so until I can fire this up. Alas, gaming in 2015 on a nutshell.
I at least got the patch downloaded a few days ago. Today I started downloading episode 2 before work and it's just 2.5 GB done when I got home, and it said it will be another 7 hours. And then 9 hours when I paused an unpaused it. :(

FrsDvl

Was going to wait till all episodes were released, but couldn't resist after all. Played a little bit of it earlier, it doesn't seem to grasp me as much as the first episode did. But we'll see how I feel about it once I finish it, tomorrow probably.

Also, I don't remember such poor performance on episode 1, on Xbox One. Many framedrops. Maybe I just don't remember it.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
so I just let a
a pregnant woman die to save a goat who thinks he's a unicorn. I'm a monster. Looks like there's a trophy to keep everyone alive, wonder if that counts the goat.

I'm a monster.

melkier33

Anyone else super disappointed in this episode? I'm curious as to what happened it seems like the Dev team was cut by 2/3rds, I seriously don't know why it took this long to come out and be so lackluster.

I want to go into detail a bit but I don't want to spoiler tag stuff using my phone, and not so soon. I was also wish our choices mattered, I was kinda hoping our choices in the first game carried over a bit like what flag we decided for the trolls and stuff (thought I guess that still can be done). Or have a choice for what tree is growing in the town, maybe have it based on one of the bravery/compassion/wisdom choices. I think a few minor visual choices would help a lot if it carried over. I hope they get it right on the next few chapters.

is there any way i can restart chapter 2 without finishing it? i made some bad choices..
From the main menu, choose play, and then select Chapter 1. At that point, it will let you copy the save to a new slot, and then play Chapter 1 again from the very last scene. Once you start Chapter 2, I recommend copying your save slot to make it easier to restart again... It looks like it's going to take some trial and error(or a walkthrough) to get a certain achievement.

I liked chapter 2, it seems more suitable to later playthroughs trying to perfect it even though it is shorter. No QTEs too.

Puzzles weren't as good. And (major spoilers of episode 2)
in the end they undercut the drama and a lot of what made the episode interesting of the episode in that characters you probably thought died or would die didn't.

In the ending we are told
to enjoy a story as it is and not what you expected it to be.
Fair to assume this is a statement about the game itself?

spinz

I liked chapter 2, it seems more suitable to later playthroughs trying to perfect it even though it is shorter. No QTEs too.

Ive played a couple hours of episode 2, that particularly intrigues me.. why did they abandon qte. It absolutely wasnt the best part about the first episode, but it wasnt terrible.

I like Chapter 2 a lot so far. I'm impressed that The Odd Gentlemen implemented new gameplay mechanics. And the puzzles are clever but not ridiculous.

Is it possible to save every single person?

I like Chapter 2 a lot so far. I'm impressed that The Odd Gentlemen implemented new gameplay mechanics. And the puzzles are clever but not ridiculous.

Is it possible to save every single person?
Not very spoilery spoiler:
there is a trophy/achievement for it

Ive played a couple hours of episode 2, that particularly intrigues me.. why did they abandon qte. It absolutely wasnt the best part about the first episode, but it wasnt terrible.
A lot of people did criticise the QTEs.

spinz

A lot of people did criticise the QTEs.

weird. Besides the beginning, i thought the first episode was qte-lite and it worked fine.
I just finished episode 2 and it was pretty good overall.. definitely a big step down from the first, but still fun and interesting story. I do hope for the next episode we stay away from dragon caves and the same cast of town people.

SPOILER STUFF: So I just finished it, and I think my theory that
Manny will become the wizard Manannan who kidnaps Prince Alexander
is right.

I do wish this episode was longer, though.

I've only played KQ2, 3, and 6. Do I need to play any of the other ones to understand what's going on in this game? Graham looks REALLY young in chapter 1 so I'm also wondering if this is a reboot or remake of the KQ canon, is it?

spinz

I've only played KQ2, 3, and 6. Do I need to play any of the other ones to understand what's going on in this game? Graham looks REALLY young in chapter 1 so I'm also wondering if this is a reboot or remake of the KQ canon, is it?

its basically a reboot. It recreates/reimagines some events. Its told from the perspective of old king graham telling stories to his grandaughter. So it jumps back and forth on the timeline.

spinz

SPOILER STUFF: So I just finished it, and I think my theory that
Manny will become the wizard Manannan who kidnaps Prince Alexander
is right.

maybe but.... is it just me or is it potentially implied that...
manny is actually a goblin. Since we havnt seen his face... hes short.. and the baby swap prank would mean theres a goblin who has lived with humans. I suppose he could also still end up being a wizard.

maybe but.... is it just me or is it potentially implied that...
manny is actually a goblin. Since we havnt seen his face... hes short.. and the baby swap prank would mean theres a goblin who has lived with humans. I suppose he could also still end up being a wizard.

Hmm, I hadn't considered that.
Maybe Manny is King Edward's true heir

Sciz

It's a set of new stories woven into the gaps between the existing games, with the two chapters thus far occurring somewhat before KQ1 and almost immediately after it. You probably don't need to play any of the other games, although 1 is referenced frequently for obvious reasons, there's been at least one shoutout to 4, and the music is heavily based on 5's.

Ashtar

Question did they add the ability to skip sections on replays? I just basically chose what I wanted near the end and I'd like to replay of the "right " way but I don't want to spend forever doing it

Question did they add the ability to skip sections on replays? I just basically chose what I wanted near the end and I'd like to replay of the "right " way but I don't want to spend forever doing it
You can skip dialogue and cutscenes now with a couple exceptions

wouwie

I haven't finished chapter 2 yet (so please no spoilers) but i was wondering:
i assume you can actually solve this by saving everyone? If so, that would be cool and a great reason to replay

It may be possible, but so far no one has shared a way to save
Bramble and Mr. Fancycakes
in the same playthrough. They both
require the cure-all to survive.

xrnzaaas

There is no platinum trophy? are they serious?

There may never be one, because episode 2 is treated as a DLC to episode 1. We've had the same situation with The Walking Dead Season Two which lacks a platinum trophy. From what I've experienced episodic games have a platinum only when there's a full trophy list prior to their release.

Now im curious, where? I finished episode 2 and noticed they could be used that way but never found a lock they work on.
On the top floor if you go straight ahead and put the weed growing potion there it creates a ladder to a small area. In that area is a cage that contraband you collected ends up if you went to bed while you had any.

spinz

On the top floor if you go straight ahead and put the weed growing potion there it creates a ladder to a small area. In that area is a cage that contraband you collected ends up if you went to bed while you had any.

ahhh well that explains that,
i never had any contraband taken away. Thats a little weird, considering theres so many locks in this episode.. and thats the only one the lockpicks matter for.

ahhh well that explains that,
i never had any contraband taken away. Thats a little weird, considering theres so many locks in this episode.. and thats the only one the lockpicks matter for.

That's classic King's Quest for ya. In KQ5 there are like five different people who could use the pie you purchase, but I think you have to give it to a mouse.

Beat it last night. I appreciated how different it was from Episode 1. I definitely have to replay it so
I can figure out how to save everyone. I let multiple people "die" although I don't think they actually die

Beat it last night. I appreciated how different it was from Episode 1. I definitely have to replay it so
I can figure out how to save everyone. I let multiple people "die" although I don't think they actually die

They
just get taken to sickbay
. I was so upset over
Mr. Fancycakes I started over several times until I just went with saving Bramble.

Ultimadrago

Chapter 2 and I still love the character's comical spazouts.

Anyways, I wasn't in love with this chapter as with Chapter 1. I enjoyed the environmental art and some of the goblin interactions are funny. However, nixing a lot of the passing character dialogue (in comparison to the amount of characters and overall runtime of the first) through cutscenes really hurt the likeness of this chapter compared to the previous one. Ah well, I hope the best for the 3rd regardless.

wouwie

I had a lot of fun with chapter 2. I enjoyed the first part with the big puzzle a lot and played it twice. The rest of the chapter (the "end" part) felt very rushed though. Visually, it was a lot less interesting than chapter 1 but that was to be expected when a game
is entirely based on an underground cave location
. Also, the game felt rather buggy and crashed on me twice (PS4 version). It definately feels that lack of time had an influence on the development of chapter 2.

It would be really interesting to see
a solution where you can save everyone
. I wonder: has this kind of puzzle gameplay been done before in a game? It thought it was rather original. It was very different from chapter 1.

Chapter 1 and 2 combined make this one of my favourite games of the year. It has resparkled my love for adventure games and i can't wait for the next chapter.

spinz

Has anyone here gotten the achievement for it? I think its only
for saving the humans. Meaning you have to pick between fancey cakes or brambles.

RetroMG

Has anyone here gotten the achievement for it? I think its only
for saving the humans. Meaning you have to pick between fancey cakes or brambles.

This is correct. I have gotten the achievement.
The order in which you do things is very specific, and you do not have to save Mr. Fancycakes.

Top Bottom