• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

RetroMG

Just finished. LOVED it.

Spoilery thoughts:

-I really thought the two princesses were going to end up being two halves of a whole, and at the end they would be fused into the true Valanice. Maybe East and West Kolyma would be reunited. I was shocked when I actually ended up with Nisse and Vee was left with an ice hand. Going to replay it tomorrow and see what happens if I end up with Vee.
-Oh, Manny, what are you planning? I'm going with Manny is Manannan from KQ3 and Morden is Mordack from KQ5. (Oh. I just looked up a picture of Mordack, and yeah, that's so right.)
-Loved seeing Whisper and Acorn again, and seeing the townsfolk as their young selves.
-Cedric! SO many callbacks in this game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to hear the positive words. Can't wait to play later

Blues1990

In comparison to the old King's Quest games, was Grahame ever as clumsy as his current incarnation? I could be remembering it wrong, but much of his confidence & heroism is missing, and he seems to can't do anything right without outside help.

Question I lost all my saves, is it worth even doing chapter 1 and 2 again to see any choices in chapter 3?

If you enjoyed them, yes. Although the episodes are fairly stand-alone, Episode 3 made it clearer that some of the choices from the first 2 chapters are carrying over, and a fair assumption can be made this will become increasingly important with Episodes 4 and 5, so it might be worth replaying them if your plan is to play through them all with that narrative thread intact. However, if you don't feel like it, Episode 3 can definitely be enjoyed without it, so don't worry too much. Just have fun with it.

I know for me, I only played through Episode 1 once near release, and as that was about 8 months ago I'd be up for replaying it again because it was fairly lengthy and quite good. Episode 2 I replayed 3-4 times to get all the trophies
for saving everyone
, so I wouldn't be quite as enthusiastic about a replay quite yet, but you can also go through it rather quickly if you've done it before. I think by the 3rd or 4th playthrough I had it down to less than an hour. When Episode 5 releases I'll likely marathon 1-4 the weekend before just to catch up again.

jrcbandit

I reinstalled my PC and lost my saves. Anyone have a save game to share for episode 2 where everyone is saved? I think my episode 1 choices were a combination of compassion and wisdom, mostly compassion.

Episodic games should always support Steam cloud FFS....

Sciz

In comparison to the old King's Quest games, was Grahame ever as clumsy as his current incarnation? I could be remembering it wrong, but much of his confidence & heroism is missing, and he seems to can't do anything right without outside help.

My take on it is that they based Graham not just on the canon, successful version of the character, but on the Graham that the players actually experienced who was constantly falling off of staircases and getting himself killed.

He hasn't grown into his cool and collected KQ5-era self yet, either.

Demoli

What a great chapter. The art and music in this one were amazing.

It also felt way more king's quest-y than the others, really really loved it.

Also funny and Graham is getting buffer and buffer, I wonder if he'll reach the Hulk levels of buff he had in 5

There were some good character moments but this chapter was more of a series of mini-games than an adventure game, which was disappointing at the time. It came together in the end though.

Absolutely loved Chapter 3. It's clear why The Odd Gentlemen are taking their time from episode to episode.

Looks like my predictions about the villain were true. I wonder if Vee will be the snow queen from KQ5?.

Sciz

Looks like my predictions about the villain were true. I wonder if Vee will be the snow queen from KQ5?.

Given that the teaser image for chapter 4 is a redrawn version of the KQ5 boxart, I certainly wouldn't bet against it.

Makes me wonder how the wizard bros are going to play into the chapter, though, if it's an embellishment of that chunk of 5.

Blues1990

Given that the teaser image for chapter 4 is a redrawn version of the KQ5 boxart, I certainly wouldn't bet against it.

Makes me wonder how the wizard bros are going to play into the chapter, though, if it's an embellishment of that chunk of 5.

It also makes me wonder if Cederic will appear in the next chapter, given that he made a cameo in Chapter 3, being adorable with his tiny vest & glasses.

This is an episodic game that's taking entirely too long to come out. How's everyone enjoying it so far though?

I really like it. It's a little unfair to compare it to other episodic games. It's far far meatier than any of the other ones I've played. I've probably put close to 10 hours in already.

melkier33

I liked this episode more then the second. I do miss the adventuring back and forth through areas from the first chapter. To me that was what Kings quest was, and trying figure out how to barter and use the items you had. I have a feeling we won't really see any of that anymore and it will all be laid out for us for the most part. I just don't like the limited areas we have been getting. I did like the spell effects having a old school style though. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it just not what hoped it would be, more like chapter one but more refined.

I liked this episode more then the second. I do miss the adventuring back and forth through areas from the first chapter. To me that was what Kings quest was, and trying figure out how to barter and use the items you had. I have a feeling we won't really see any of that anymore and it will all be laid out for us for the most part. I just don't like the limited areas we have been getting. I did like the spell effects having a old school style though. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it just not what hoped it would be, more like chapter one but more refined.

The episodic nature doesn't lend well to that unfortunately. But I do have a feeling that they'll pull out more stops, like ep1, for the final chapter. I am enjoying the heck out of this trip down memory lane however

I'm glad to hear so much positive talk about Chapter 3. I will try to play 2 and 3 over the weekend.

The return to form that Chapter 3 allegedly is renews my hope that Odd Gentlemen will move on to a Space Quest revival after...

I really like it. It's a little unfair to compare it to other episodic games. It's far far meatier than any of the other ones I've played. I've probably put close to 10 hours in already.

Thanks for the impressions. :) I really want to pick this up, but would rather wait to binge it when it's all out.

Anyone know what the hidden trophy is on the top of the list yet? Can't really think of what it could be.

Using spoiler tags so as not to reveal a hidden trophy/achievement to anyone who doesn't want to see it:

At the very beginning, after you see the badger steal the owl, keep walking to the right and you will bump into an invisible wall slightly off-screen as Graham narrates something like "no, I had to go back to help the owl family." Keep trying to walk off-screen a bunch of times and eventually you will be killed by a poisonous snake and the trophy/achievement will pop.

RedAssedApe

Banned
only played part of the first episode. when'd graham get all buff (thought he was already a young adult)? is it part of the story or just old graham making stuff up lol

georly

only played part of the first episode. when'd graham get all buff (thought he was already a young adult)? is it part of the story or just old graham making stuff up lol

This is him retelling his life to his granddaughter, so it 'fills in' the gaps between the old existing king's quest games, and presumably even resuming after they left off. He's a full-on adult in this chapter, not a teen/young adult anymore.

Finally made some time to play the new chapter, and I loved it. I was suspecting Hagatha would become the secret third choice in a Shrek kind of way, but I guess this episode centred more around just two paths after all. Still, it was well-paced and very entertaining. Loved the Cedric nod early on too. They're taking their time, but they're spending that time well.

I think it may be a reference to how jacked Graham got in some of the older games.

wouwie

Just finished chapter 3 and enjoyed it a lot. I can't help but feel that this game has a heart, if that makes sense? My only complaint about chapter 3 would be that the (proper adventure) gameplay is getting thinner. And i still don't understand why developers think those action sequences are actually fun?

But it doesn't matter all that much when looking at the bigger picture. I love King's Quest so far and i rank it amongst my favourite adventure games. It's a pity that the long waiting times between chapters isn't doing the game any favours. As such i might consider replaying the whole game once all chapters are out. But i can't (but will have to) wait to play the next chapter in about 4 months time.

Sciz

And i still don't understand why developers think those action sequences are actually fun?

The impression I've gotten from interviews is that they're not really intended to be fun so much as a way to keep the the cinematic bits from being lengthy cutscenes.

I recently played the first chapter after getting it on PS+ and fell in love with it. I have zero knowledge or nostalgia of the series so that came as a surprise. So I'm now question whether I should buy the season pass for €20 or the full collection with the epilogue for €25. Do we know much about what the epilogue is? I'm cheap enough that I wouldn't mind saving a fiver if it's not a big thing.

jb1234

I've only played chapter 1 but it was impressively lengthy for the genre. How long are the other two chapters?

JonnyKong

Bit late to the party, but I thought I may as well try this being free on the Xbox store n'all. I went in with low expectations as I barely knew anything about it, and I'm very pleasantly surprised. It has been most enjoyable so far. I'm currently up to that bit where I'm trying to feed the troll some food, I'm a little bit stuck I can't lie. I'll try work it out tomorrow.

I wish I'd looked at the achievement list before I started playing as I've now missed a few which were hidden in out of the way places. Can't really be bothered to play through it again once I'm done.

wouwie

I recently played the first chapter after getting it on PS+ and fell in love with it. I have zero knowledge or nostalgia of the series so that came as a surprise. So I'm now question whether I should buy the season pass for €20 or the full collection with the epilogue for €25. Do we know much about what the epilogue is? I'm cheap enough that I wouldn't mind saving a fiver if it's not a big thing.

Nothing is known about the epilogue so i guess it depends on how much you like the game and if you want so spent an extra 5€ on it.

I've only played chapter 1 but it was impressively lengthy for the genre. How long are the other two chapters?

Chapter 2 and 3 are about half the size of chapter 1. The developers themselves have indicated that chapter 1 was the exception length wise.

Bit late to the party, but I thought I may as well try this being free on the Xbox store n'all. I went in with low expectations as I barely knew anything about it, and I'm very pleasantly surprised. It has been most enjoyable so far. I'm currently up to that bit where I'm trying to feed the troll some food, I'm a little bit stuck I can't lie. I'll try work it out tomorrow.

I wish I'd looked at the achievement list before I started playing as I've now missed a few which were hidden in out of the way places. Can't really be bothered to play through it again once I'm done.

Each episode has branching paths that can vary greatly. You would need many playthroughs to see everything.

Decided to give the first episode a try since I got it for three with PS+ some time back.

Beat it in in a few hours, went on to buy season pass and download episodes 2 and 3.

Episode 1 thoughts:

- Very heartfelt story. Loved all the characters and the charm not to mention the range of emotions the episode brought to me. Achaka
's whole section was very touching. From a beginning of telling Graham to stay back as it was too dangerous, to eventually relying on each other to get through the caves and teaching him how to shoot the bow. His sacrifice for Graham had me in tears and then I connected two and two and remembered the intro of Graham grabbing the bow from the body and doing the spinny move to honor him and now it pains me in the heart more.

- Graham's geeky rants throughout the game were so fucking adorable haha

- I of course chose the pie at the end scene. Because when someone offers you a pie of fucking course you gotta take it.

- The relationship of Gwendolyn and Graham is very touching. Seems like, while everybody loves him, Gwendolyn is the only one who will listen to his tales excitedly over and over again, not to mention grows to appreciate
those fantastic puns.

Honestly the two biggest complaints of episode 1 that I hope to see corrected in the other episodes:

- not being able to skip dialogue/cutscenes you've already viewed either due to failure or death. Why would they not let you press start to start the gameplay section?

- The long walks back and forth were a pain. I wish we had the option to transport or dash to other map sections, because at Graham's pace if you went the wrong way you gotta spend so much time jogging back. The game had the right idea with skipping some sections, let me do the same by allowing me to skip to map areas I've already explored.

Will probably play episodes 2 and 3 throughout the week.

Honestly the two biggest complaints of episode 1 that I hope to see corrected in the other episodes:

- not being able to skip dialogue/cutscenes you've already viewed either due to failure or death. Why would they not let you press start to start the gameplay section?

- The long walks back and forth were a pain. I wish we had the option to transport or dash to other map sections, because at Graham's pace if you went the wrong way you gotta spend so much time jogging back. The game had the right idea with skipping some sections, let me do the same by allowing me to skip to map areas I've already explored.
Skipping cutscenes was added to the second chapter onwards. Backtracking is probably less of a problem in chapter 2 and isn't an issue in chapter 3.

I went through it a second time, and me and friend were talking about something related to the first chapter.

(Spoilers for episode 1 and 3, and irresponsible amounts of speculation)
We were talking about how Manny's brother is a tall lanky dude who only recently learned how to speak English, and how the two of them had a dragon taming book. We sure couldn't help but notice there was a tall lanky dude who couldn't speak English who died of a dragon attack in episode one. We also saw Manny and Achaka speak to each other in something other than sign language. What do you think will be the chances of "Achaka"'s death being staged?

RetroMG

I went through it a second time, and me and friend were talking about something related to the first chapter.

(Spoilers for episode 1 and 3, and irresponsible amounts of speculation)
We were talking about how Manny's brother is a tall lanky dude who only recently learned how to speak English, and how the two of them had a dragon taming book. We sure couldn't help but notice there was a tall lanky dude who couldn't speak English who died of a dragon attack in episode one. We also saw Manny and Achaka speak to each other in something other than sign language. What do you think will be the chances of "Achaka"'s death being staged?

That's a really clever theory, but...
The tall lanky dude is the tall goblin from Episode 2. Pretty sure Manny didn't meet him until after Achaka died.

JonnyKong

I have no freaking idea where I'm supposed to get a coin from to pay the Baker so I can buy the pie off him to feed the troll. I've already used up my coins on other things.

Edit: I've used the garden tool to cut away those weeds and now I'm following Achaka down the well. I'm assuming this is the correct story progression for now.

RetroMG

I have no freaking idea where I'm supposed to get a coin from to pay the Baker so I can buy the pie off him to feed the troll. I've already used up my coins on other things.

Edit: I've used the garden tool to cut away those weeds and now I'm following Achaka down the well. I'm assuming this is the correct story progression for now.

Yup, you're doing fine.

You'll find more coins in other places. Just keep your eyes open.

JonnyKong

My god, just let me skip the bloody cut scenes.

Anyway, chapter 1 done. May as well buy the season pass whilst it's on offer :)

Started chapter 2 yesterday

Had to restart, I realized that now my choices have massive consequences and I wasn't about to face them. I don't wanna have to play with a guide but as someone who has never played the previous games or heard of them this was a massive "holy shit what" moment since chapter 1 didn't have you
killing people due to fucked up choices

I don't want to have to use a guide but apparently if I don't wanna fuck up massively I'll have to. Still enjoying the game for the characters and story but this is a massive change that killed quite a bit of my enjoyment.

Sciz

I don't want to have to use a guide but apparently if I don't wanna fuck up massively I'll have to.

Without directly spoiling anything, but just in case:
It's not quite as hardcore as it seems on the face of things.

Chapter 2 did get a fairly tepid reception, but stumbling around, trying to do your best, and possibly failing people is the whole point of the chapter, and there are some callbacks to it in chapter 3 that won't hit the mark if they don't reflect your own unguided actions.

Without directly spoiling anything, but just in case:
It's not quite as hardcore as it seems on the face of things.

Chapter 2 did get a fairly tepid reception, but stumbling around, trying to do your best, and possibly failing people is the whole point of the chapter, and there are some callbacks to it in chapter 3 that won't hit the mark if they don't reflect your own unguided actions.
I can understand if thematically there's a point to you messing up major for the story, but as someone who really
enjoyed these characters
in chapter 1 i don't want to deal with it. I'm not even a perfectionist in 99% of games, heck in telltale games with shit like that I give no fucks. But in such a lighthearted adventure so far it bothers me :(

I can understand if thematically there's a point to you messing up major for the story, but as someone who really
enjoyed these characters
in chapter 1 i don't want to deal with it. I'm not even a perfectionist in 99% of games, heck in telltale games with shit like that I give no fucks. But in such a lighthearted adventure so far it bothers me :(
Beat the episode before you get too worked up about it

Man after finishing episode 3 I want to replay the game so many times to get the different paths and solutions. If only I was 10 years younger.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
When is this supposed to be finished?

Top Bottom