• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

wouwie

I assume you can start a new chapter without completing the previous chapter? I didn't finish chapter 4 since i didn't like it.

I don't have high hopes for chapter 5 anymore. The quality has been going down, starting from a stellar first episode to a poor chapter 4, so i'm not expecting much anymore. Once all chapters are out, i'll just replay chapter 1 at some point.

RetroMG

Chapter 5 is up on the Xbox store but it has the same issue chapter 4 did, where it is showing that you have to buy the new chapter even if you own the season pass.

EDIT: Fixed now, downloading

Lindsaymv

Oh wow finally all episodes are out. I'm sorry but even though I loved the first episode, I'm part of the problem - decided to wait until the whole series was out to buy it. Despite the mixed reviews of the later chapters, I grew up with the series and can't wait to get all the juicy juicy nostalgia. Hopefully there's a sale of some sort soon, but maybe I'll just be a good dude and buy it anyway, I feel bad how this game seems to have turned out despite the obvious love for the franchise behind the scenes.

Finished. It had some good moments in this chapter, and it was clearly personally important to the developers. There was a little less to do than any previous chapters, but it is more in the style of the first chapter which helped a lot.

Corpekata

Banned
Wow Chapter 5 was MUCH better and a great sendoff. Really impressed they pulled it off especially after the disaster that was episode 4.

Zolo

Pretty good conclusion. You can definitely tell why this episode released so early compared to the others with a lot of asset reuse, but it was still overall interesting after episode 4 was kind of a downer.

RetroMG

Thoughts on Chapter 5 (Spoilers)

-First of all goddammit I'm not crying you're crying shut up.

-It was a good sendoff. Nothing ever reached the heights of episode 1, but this was closest. I thought the puzzles that rewrote the story were clever, but I can see where they would annoy people.

-I kept waiting for the Dragon to show back up, and I was a little annoyed that he didn't ever come back.

-Seeing Acorn and Whisper in the land of the dead was amazing, although I was sad that Amaya wasn't in the episode anywhere.

-I would play a series about Gwendolyn having adventures. Heck, I would play any point and click that matches this level of quality and with this interface.

I can't tell you how angry I was when they made me do another stupid line puzzle.

All right, let's do the obvious:

1 > 5 > 3 > 2 > 4

1 was the best chapter, with 5 as a close second because it felt so much like the first chapter. 3 was great, if a little sectioned and episodic. I didn't like 2 the first time I played through it, though I grew to appreciate it more on a recent replay. The resource management aspect annoyed me. 4 was the weakest entry, with it's endless line puzzles.

Ultimadrago

Chapter 5 Spoilers:
*sniffle*

That was a nice episode. I'm looking forward to the epilogue, but seeing how many assets were recycled just to get this one running, I'm not expecting much. I personally found it the most clever use of it from all the episodes; it didn't bother me at all this time around. This was a moderately charming series that I enjoyed my time with, but unfortunately find too inconsistent to openly recommend.

Also, without saying anything, I wish I was a King's Quest veteran to get more of the references spilled throughout. I'm sure it was an even fuller adventure for those players!

In chapter ranking, I agree with RetroMG's list: 1 -> 5 -> 3 -> 2 -> 4

Blues1990

I'm thoroughly enjoying A Knight to Remember, especially with the puzzles in Chapter 4. However, one thing has bothered me in Chapter 5:

Given that this game takes place LONG after KQV, I'm shocked that Mordack is alive and well. Didn't Graham (literally) extinguished Mordack back in that game?

Given that this game takes place LONG after KQV, I'm shocked that Mordack is alive and well. Didn't Graham (literally) extinguished Mordack back in that game?

Wasn't that answered through dialogue?
Graham asks Mordack how he survives and Mordack answers that he hid under the floor boards or something?

Blues1990

Wasn't that answered through dialogue?
Graham asks Mordack how he survives and Mordack answers that he hid under the floor boards or something?

I just got to the well, and lo and behind, Mordack said exactly just that when I talked to him.

I just completed Chapter 5. Regardless of how the series was handled, you could tell the development team at The Odd Gentlemen LOVE the old series through and through. The whole ending left me crying like a baby.

I began playing it on PC today. With a controller. I'm greatly enjoying it so far. It definitely makes Telltales games look unpolished and rushed from a technical standpoint.

Looking forward to playing through this adventure.

Corpekata

Banned
I began playing it on PC today. With a controller. I'm greatly enjoying it so far. It definitely makes Telltales games look unpolished and rushed from a technical standpoint.

Looking forward to playing through this adventure.

Episode 1 does. After that not so much.

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
I played this on Tuesday, just haven't had time to get online to post my thoughts.

This episode was, quite frankly, fantastic. Really emotional, too. By the sounds of it, looking at everyone else's thoughts, this episode really does hit home with the choices - I managed to go into the Hobblepots'/Acorn's shop, but nobody was there.

If nothing else, this definitely makes me want to replay the series and bias my choices to see what outcomes there are.

I absolutely loved the throwbacks to KQ1 and KQ6, both made me laugh but the bone dance clinched it for me.

Let's not forget the best line in a game ever: "Ah, life-giving water - nectar of the gods!"

The puzzles weren't necessarily the hardest, although I did get a bit dumb at the end and had to consult over the answer for the last puzzle on the Floating Island, but it has continued to drive the narrative along and there's something really poignant in playing through a game that arcs over the majority of one person's life

In terms of ranking the chapters? Gameplay-wise, I agree entirely with RetroMG's list. Story-wise, as a fan of the original games, I think they were all brilliant chapters - for example, although Chapter 4 is the weakest gameplay-wise, I got a lot of enjoyment out of it for its story and the fact that it explored the relationships of an estranged person and his family.

A few bits of continuity did get thrown out of the window
such as Alexander not saving Rosella from the three-headed dragon in KQ3
, but I think they managed to pull the whole series off really well.

I'm looking forward to the epilogue, and in a way, I am sad to see this series end. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a second series, but I certainly would welcome it.

Blues1990

I played this on Tuesday, just haven't had time to get online to post my thoughts.

This episode was, quite frankly, fantastic. Really emotional, too. By the sounds of it, looking at everyone else's thoughts, this episode really does hit home with the choices - I managed to go into the Hobblepots'/Acorn's shop, but nobody was there.

If nothing else, this definitely makes me want to replay the series and bias my choices to see what outcomes there are.

I absolutely loved the throwbacks to KQ1 and KQ6, both made me laugh but the bone dance clinched it for me.

Let's not forget the best line in a game ever: "Ah, life-giving water - nectar of the gods!"

The puzzles weren't necessarily the hardest, although I did get a bit dumb at the end and had to consult over the answer for the last puzzle on the Floating Island, but it has continued to drive the narrative along and there's something really poignant in playing through a game that arcs over the majority of one person's life

In terms of ranking the chapters? Gameplay-wise, I agree entirely with RetroMG's list. Story-wise, as a fan of the original games, I think they were all brilliant chapters - for example, although Chapter 4 is the weakest gameplay-wise, I got a lot of enjoyment out of it for its story and the fact that it explored the relationships of an estranged person and his family.

A few bits of continuity did get thrown out of the window
such as Alexander not saving Rosella from the three-headed dragon in KQ3
, but I think they managed to pull the whole series off really well.

I'm looking forward to the epilogue, and in a way, I am sad to see this series end. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a second series, but I certainly would welcome it.

Did The Odd Gentlemen make a statement for 'A Knight To Remember' being placed in the games timeline? Alternate universe?

Zolo

Did The Odd Gentlemen make a statement for 'A Knight To Remember' being placed in the games timeline? Alternate universe?

This game's basically an AU where certain events happen differently or the events of the original games are treated as stories.

Actually, that seems like it could get weird with Gwendolyn talking about the stories being perfect the way they are when Graham talks about changing them, and the game changing different stories.

Blues1990

This game's basically an AU where certain events happen differently or the events of the original games are treated as stories.

Actually, that seems like it could get weird with Gwendolyn talking about the stories being perfect the way they are when Graham talks about changing them, and the game changing different stories.

Huh, I actually thought the new game was the most recent installment in the series, with Graham setting the score with Gwendolyn how certain events in the past have actually happened.

Zolo

Huh, I actually thought the new game was the most recent installment in the series, with Graham setting the score with Gwendolyn how certain events in the past have actually happened.

I mean....the new one's basically its own thing that can pretty much be completely separated from the originals. I doubt the makers of this one even expected most of the players to have played the originals.

Just to use an example, the characters are pretty much completely different from how they are in the originals.

Blues1990

I mean....the new one's basically its own thing that can pretty much be completely separated from the originals. I doubt the makers of this one even expected most of the players to have played the originals.

Just to use an example, the characters are pretty much completely different from how they are in the originals.

Such as how Graham acts like a dork throughout most of the game, or Alexander is a passive-aggressive jerk when he was a teenager?

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
There was supposed to be a physical release come out the same day as Chapter 5 for Xbox 360, Xbox 1 and PS4, but I never saw it here in the UK. Not sure if it made it to the States though?

Apparently the X1/PS4 only had the first four chapters, and X360 the first one, and you'd have to download the rest.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I have a problem in the ep5. In concrete in the music puzzle in the begining:

Number 1 red colour and the center in yellow
2- purple
3-red
4-red
5-red
6-green
7-purple

I put the colours in order in the machine and nothing happen. I use the variation of the number one in red or yellow but nothing.

I saw a videoguide and in the video the person have differents colours than me. I use the order he uses in my machine and a song appear but nothing more.

What can i do?

Finally got around to playing chapters 5 and 6.

Kind of a bummer the whole thing is over now. :( It was an emotional end. Yet not fully satisfying the way it wrapped up. It just let me feeling kind of bummed out.

I did love the nostalgia parts in chp6 where they have their homage to the old school text adventures.

Finally got around to playing chapters 5 and 6.

Kind of a bummer the whole thing is over now. :( It was an emotional end. Yet not fully satisfying the way it wrapped up. It just let me feeling kind of bummed out.

I did love the nostalgia parts in chp6 where they have their homage to the old school text adventures.

If you bought the Complete Collection, you still have the Epilogue to look forward to.

Jacob4815

There was supposed to be a physical release come out the same day as Chapter 5 for Xbox 360, Xbox 1 and PS4, but I never saw it here in the UK. Not sure if it made it to the States though?

I think that the retail version doesn't exist. Probably they delayed the release date after the epilogue.

Heartfyre

I finished this up myself the other day. Had a mixed feeling after Chapter 5, and my conclusions seemed to differ from a lot of other people about what it was trying to tell. Basically, I feel this chapter drove home what an unreliable narrator Graham was throughout the entire game. So much that, despite what the devs have said pre-release (that the stories from the old games are considered inaccurate legends), I reached the conclusion that it was Graham's own retellings that are fanciful and not reflective of past events.

I think that was a deliberate move on Graham's part to instill the lust for adventure within Gwendolyn, so that
she would carry on his legacy in its completeness, the adventuring and responsibilities of royalty both.
Basically, I think the only reliable, canonical events that we saw were the present day sections. These parts had far less humour and seemed closer to the tone and storytelling style of the older games. Sure, Graham still told bad puns, but Valanice didn't have many of the characteristics she had in the stories, and Alexander and Rosella acted much more like their original counterparts rather than the caricatures they played in Graham's telling. Of course, taking this perspective, there are aspects of Graham's stories that we have to assume are truth, such as
Achaka being there as his deathly herald, and the relationship that Graham builds with the player's chosen townperson
, but regardless, considering that
Graham doesn't even finish telling his story, allowing Gwendolyn to do it for him,
means to me that Graham has never considered veracity to be important for the entire game, choosing instead to tell his stories for their dramatic effect, rather than to tell an accurate account of his life. We'll see how the Epilogue finishes it off, but at the minute, I'm thinking there's a reason it's not out yet. They showed off the game for the first time at The Game Awards 2014 -- I'm wondering if they'll be in attendance again this year, perhaps to continue the King's Quest games rather than just cap it off with this epilogue. I guess we'll see.

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
I think that the retail version doesn't exist. Probably they delayed the release date after the epilogue.

I think it definitely happened - a friend of mine in the States bought it for $20 in a pre-Black Friday sale. But it certainly hasn't made its way over here and it does not seem to be so widely available, I can buy it on import from eBay, albeit at a huge premium.

I can only hope that I'm able to get ahold of a copy. I have bought the game three times now (firstly on XBox One before I sold it, then on PS4, then on PC through a Humble Bundle), but I enjoyed it that much, even with the weaker chapters, that I would love to have a physical copy. I already have the promo poster on my wall, I'd love an actual boxed copy.

wouwie

In retrospect, the episodic format didn't do any good for the enthusiasm i had for this game in the beginning. I didn't bother finishing chapter 4, which i didn't like, and from playing the beginning of chapter 5, i had the impression that it was "just" a rehash of all the previous chapters. So i gave up on it aswell. Given the fact that i was super excited and impressed after playing the first chapter, it's kind of sad how things turned around.

I've never been a fan of episodic games. The only game where i ever felt that it worked was "Life is Strange", although ultimately i found the quality in that game declining towards the end too (the last episode didn't do anything for me and felt very rushed). Apparently, the episodic format didn't do wonders for Dreamfall Chapters too.

In the case of King's Quest, one full game similar to chapter 1 and about double the length would have been much preferred for me. That episode still stands out from the rest because it had a polished and finished feel to it, something that started lacking from episode 2 onwards.

Already beat the final chp a few weeks ago.

But finally today it just clicked with me... Whisper is Gaston from Disney's Beauty and the Beast! I checked on imdb and it confirmed my suspicion.

Alastor3

Yes!! Now that the epilogue is out, time to start the game!!

So sad that i saw a lot of positive feedback from the first episode and than the momentum just disappeared :(

Bastion

Yes!! Now that the epilogue is out, time to start the game!!

So sad that i saw a lot of positive feedback from the first episode and than the momentum just disappeared :(

I don't see an option to download the Epilogue. I am in the US. Do you have to finish Ch. 5 before you get the epilogue?

Where can it be accessed? I bought the version with the epilogue and got the 1.06 update but I can't see where in the game it can be played.

RetroMG

Where can it be accessed? I bought the version with the epilogue and got the 1.06 update but I can't see where in the game it can be played.

On Xbox one, I just started the game and it downloaded a patch. When it was done, the episode was available.

Very short but it's sweet to see where the series could go, if they so choose to continue it.

The trophy whore in me is sad there isn't a trophy add-on for the epilogue but that wouldn't be fair to the people who don't get it.

Top Bottom