• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

Azriell

First time seeing this OT, and I'd like to chime in. I finally got around to playing Ch 1. I didn't really care for it at first because the dragon well was just too simple. It definitely gets better later on, and I finished it feeling really good about it. I'm still disappointed about Graham's voice, and I miss the classic pixelated look of most of old P&Cs, but I really like it.

A little disappointed that some people are down on Ch2 and Ch3 is less open, but in still excited to take the plunge.

Azriell

Just saw the Humble Sierra Bundle. Thinking about picking up the full KQ season, but I started it on PS4 already and just finished chapter 1. Anyone know if I can just start a new game on PC and start from chapter 2? Anything that I'm going to be missing out by doing it this way?

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
Just saw the Humble Sierra Bundle. Thinking about picking up the full KQ season, but I started it on PS4 already and just finished chapter 1. Anyone know if I can just start a new game on PC and start from chapter 2? Anything that I'm going to be missing out by doing it this way?

I believe you can, you would essentially miss the opportunity to shape some of the character interactions in Chapter 2, as the choices you make alter the way some characters talk to you. I'm not quite sure what the "default" is that they go for, whether it's biased towards one particular branch or not.

In regards to Chapter 4, I would love to see
some interaction between Alexander and Gwendolyn, as well as some development of Gart's character, I'm quite intrigued by him and hope that they do flesh out the new characters in the castle as well as the ones in the stories

Also kind of sad but not surprised that
Robbie Benson is not reprising his role as Alexander, as I thought he was PERFECT in KQ6, just hope the new voice actor does him justice. Alex's entries to the series were always my favourites.

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
Seems that way, maybe that's why this episode has taken a bit longer to come around. I know it'll be worth the wait though, and so glad to see new characters come to the latest chapter!

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
Chapter 4, Snow Place Like Home will be out next week, on September 27th, and it sounds like the best chapter yet
in terms of fleshing out long-established King's Quest lore

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...4-snow-place-like-home-launches-september-27/

Blurb from the above link in the spoiler:

King’s Quest – Chapter 4: Snow Place Like Home opens on the fateful night when King Graham and Queen Valanice’s infant child Alexander was stolen from them. When Alexander mysteriously returns home 18 years later, however, Graham must decide how to reconnect with the boy he’s spent a lifetime searching for. And as father and son work together to solve the towering challenges of the puzzling Ice Palace, questions linger about just what happened all those years ago.

...I wonder if they will have to throw any pies at any yetis...

Apparently the final chapter and the epilogue will hopefully be out before the holidays.

Sounds like the most serious chapter yet. I'm excited.

I hope they treat
Alexander's kidnapping with enough gravitas
. And I hope I've been right about the developing story all these episodes...

I recently started playing episode 1. It's really great. I just
faked an eye by dyeing a hollowed out pumpkin.
So far it seems like you can choose strength, wit or kindness in lots of different situations? So far, I've gone with the smart option every time. Let's see if I can keep that up.

Also, I love examining objects over and over for funny narration

wouwie

Great news about chapter 4 and also on the fact that the complete game should be out before the end of the year. I'm looking forward to chapter 4.

Sounds like the most serious chapter yet. I'm excited.

I hope they treat
Alexander's kidnapping with enough gravitas.
And I hope I've been right about the developing story all these episodes...

I know
this is part of the lore but I did not know Chapter IV was about that
and would have preferred not knowing. There's a reason coolskeleton marked his post ya know... oh well.

Chapter 4, Snow Place Like Home will be out next week, on September 27th, and it sounds like the best chapter yet
in terms of fleshing out long-established King's Quest lore

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...4-snow-place-like-home-launches-september-27/

Blurb from the above link in the spoiler:

King’s Quest – Chapter 4: Snow Place Like Home opens on the fateful night when King Graham and Queen Valanice’s infant child Alexander was stolen from them. When Alexander mysteriously returns home 18 years later, however, Graham must decide how to reconnect with the boy he’s spent a lifetime searching for. And as father and son work together to solve the towering challenges of the puzzling Ice Palace, questions linger about just what happened all those years ago.

...I wonder if they will have to throw any pies at any yetis...

Apparently the final chapter and the epilogue will hopefully be out before the holidays.
What's the likelihood of *speculation*
the returned Alexander being a phoney, and linked to Manny? He seems to have a constant presence in all the episodes after all.
*speculation*

Eeep, every time I click begin on Chapter 4 it freezes. I've restarted the game 3 times now and I really don't want to have to re-download everything :S

wouwie

Eeep, every time I click begin on Chapter 4 it freezes. I've restarted the game 3 times now and I really don't want to have to re-download everything :S

Same for me. Apparently, the download was up too early according to the developers. I'll wait a bit and redownload tonight i guess.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I tried to download the ep4 in the xbox one 5 hours ago and only let me to buy the ep4 despite i have the full version.I tried to download the ep4 via in game and the same.

It is resolved now?

I tried to download the ep4 in the xbox one 5 hours ago and only let me to buy the ep4 despite i have the full version.I tried to download the ep4 via in game and the same.

It is resolved now?
Doesn't seem like it, hopefully it's at least up for download before I go to bed tonight.

RetroMG

Just finished.

I'm not sure how I feel. Spoiler tagging my thoughts, juuuust in case.

From a story standpoint,
I really enjoyed it. I liked that it tackled things like Alexander's difficulty fitting in to royal life in Daventry, and the effects that living with Mananan would have had on him, because I always felt like the original series kind of glossed over that. I liked that during the dinner scene, we saw that some of that never entirely went away.

From a gameplay standpoint,
It was pretty rough. I'd love to to hear exactly why this episode took as long as it did to come out, because it's not like there was a lot to it. The game was basically a looooong string of mazes, sliding block puzzles, and variations on the battle of wits from episode 1. Speaking of Episode 1, it remains the best game in this season, and it's sad that none of the other episodes have lived up to it.

Talking about choices,
there really weren't any in this episode, but I'm curious about how my choices affected it. My Graham was known as King Graham the Wise. He was married to Neese, and Vee was the ice queen. I had a gift from the Hobblepots, which I got from Acorn in his shop. I'm curious to know if those were different for other people, based on the choices in previous episodes.

Other random thoughts:

Rosella's accent was super weird.

Graham meets Cedric the Owl in KQ5, which would be after this, but Valanice says he had a Cedric the Owl cofee mug. TIME PARADOX.

I like how they dealt with Graham's attitude towards magic, especially since Graham uses some magic in KQ5, and Alexander uses a LOT in KQ6.

I would play a DLC episode of Valanice and Rosella during the events of this game. Even if it was just more puzzles.

EDIT: Overall, I really liked it, and I loved how it ties to the original series, but I do have a few complaints.

In the morning I started download an update for it on PS4, expecting the game to be ready when I got home from work. But it was just an update separate from Chapter 4. Which I had to start downloading separately.

And it is 5 more hours of downloading. So I won't play it until tomorrow after work. :(

Corpekata

Banned
Finished. Left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. It's like they crossbred the game with a bad puzzle game. The charm of this game has been in the story, and I'm baffled they let it take such a backburner here, though what IS here is pretty good. I can only imagine this is the result of budget cuts and not what they intended for this episode.

I only finished it because I still have hopes for Episode 5. If this had been an episode 1 or a standalone game I would never had powered through.

wouwie

Finished. Left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. It's like they crossbred the game with a bad puzzle game. The charm of this game has been in the story, and I'm baffled they let it take such a backburner here, though what IS here is pretty good. I can only imagine this is the result of budget cuts and not what they intended for this episode.

I only finished it because I still have hopes for Episode 5. If this had been an episode 1 or a standalone game I would never had powered through.

Pretty much how i feel and i haven't finished yet. I will continue because of episode 5 but i'm not having much fun. Half of the game is story cutscenes and the rest is a puzzle game and not a particulary good one. Also, the story telling and the game in general feels messy.

The episodic format/development didn't work out all that well for King's Quest and budget probably went down along the way due to the reality of sales. The first episode was stellar and polished, the next two were ok but already felt rushed and this fourth episode is mediocre at best. If they had scrapped the episodic format and offered a standalone game based on episode 1, at maybe twice the length of that episode, i'm convinced they would have made an awesome adventure game.

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
I downloaded this game on Tuesday, and completed it over two evenings, not had a chance to get online to post my thoughts.

Like a lot of you, I'm a bit underwhelmed with the mix-up in gameplay that this chapter offered, especially given how long it took for the episode to come out. This being said, it was probably why I managed to get through without too much struggle. The only thing I struggled on was
the last answer in the riddle room

Also, as much as I didn't dig the gameplay, I loved the story progression and the fleshing out of various characters and scenarios pertaining to previous King's Quest lore. I will stand by what I said earlier on this.

Other thoughts about the latest chapter:

Totally called Manny being Manannan and his "brother" being Mordack

I totally had some sad moments during this - Manannan "separating" the dynamic duo of Larry and Kyle with a zap, Neese/Icebella (presumably Vee if you go the other way in Chapter 3) dying and, of course, the news of Graham's imminent passing

Although I only mentioned getting stuck in one area, I openly admit that I never actually completed the puzzle room the family was working on legitimately... I hoped that "LOVE" was the answer for the lock, and it was! A delightful reference to King's Quest 6.

I did a lot of talking to Alexander during the chapter, and sometimes he would interact in an "almost warming to Graham" way, followed by him being cold and distant. It was a bit jarring in places

I loved the references to Serenia for Wente's family, and also the town music! I got reminded by the post below that their relative was the tailor, but I wonder if he's related to the baker in Serenia.

The bit where Alexander is describing the "type" of girl he's into made me chuckle.

I will probably add some more thoughts when I replay the chapter again, along with the numerous

Although there wasn't much
in the way of influencing choices
, it did seem that they started to play out some consequences in this chapter at the beginning, specifically
which of the townsfolk you saw and which gift you received
, as well as
the Merchant's attitude towards you

In my blind playthrough saveslot, I was King Graham
the Wise
and got
a present from the Hobblepots, through Acorn
The Merchant didn't like me because I didn't save Mr Fancycakes, so I had to pack the trailer

I do have other save slots which are biased towards one particular decision, as well as alternate other little decisions throughout the game. What I hope to do is go back to these playthroughs to see how this chapter pans out, although it may wait until we get the last chapter. I really hope the game gets a well-deserved send-off. Despite a few not-so-good choices, I really have enjoyed this series immensely,

Heartfyre

The most joy I get out of these chapters are the references to the old games. Such as
the Girl in the Tower musical motif in Chapter 3, the Serenia town music from KQ5 playing in Daventry town in Chapter 4, and the revelation that the Baker's son Taylor went off to Serenia to open a tailor shop...which you visit in KQ5.

But overall, I wish they kept to the format they began with Chapter 1. What has followed has been short and overly focused on gimmicks, while I wanted more of the adventure game it began as. I hope they get another chance to release more in a timely manner. I'm sure sales have not been maintained, and I would say it's because they've spread four chapters over the course of over a year.

Still, it's probably better than what Telltale would have done with it.

Nico_D

Another disappointed player here. I'm not through with the chapter yet but this chapter really isn't an adventure game anymore. While the number and complexity of puzzles has diminished in each subsequent episode, this is the low point. At least episodes 2-3 had adventure game feel to them though they could've been better and less about cutscenes.

Give control back to the players.

I still like the characters, especially Graham and humor is still rather good but I won't be continuing to season 2 if this trend continues.

Corpekata

Banned
Another disappointed player here. I'm not through with the chapter yet but this chapter really isn't an adventure game anymore. While the number and complexity of puzzles has diminished in each subsequent episode, this is the low point. At least episodes 2-3 had adventure game feel to them though they could've been better and less about cutscenes.

Give control back to the players.

I still like the characters, especially Graham and humor is still rather good but I won't be continuing to season 2 if this trend continues.

I feel like a season 2 is highly unlikely. Activision has sent their "Sierra" reboot to essentially die. Next to none have had any promotion, with KQ being the highest profile and that struggling (even with having a storied history). I'd bet their Sierra initiative dries up this year.

I feel like a season 2 is highly unlikely. Activision has sent their "Sierra" reboot to essentially die. Next to none have had any promotion, with KQ being the highest profile and that struggling (even with having a storied history). I'd bet their Sierra initiative dries up this year.
Yeah it's really unfortunate I mean there is literally no marketing behind this series. I found out about this chapter like 12 hours before release.

Oof I feel like I'm maybe somewhere near the halfway point of the episode and I'm already tired of the puzzles. I'm taking a break. Too many of them, not enough character interactions.

Ultimadrago

Yeah, I didn't like this chapter. I suppose it's about priorities. I know some people were clamoring for more puzzles, so Episode 4 was certainly dedicated to them. However, for me, this title has been the best when using the puzzles only in tandem to work entertaining dialogue with the funny citizens/creatures around Graham. Episode 1 put forward such a strong foot in this regard. Since then though, that same fervor has not returned. I suppose Episode 4 is to me what I suppose Episode 3 (Little Puzzle, Focused on Dialogue) was to those that prefer just having puzzles.

I wasn't very satisfied at all and was largely bored with the rooms I had to complete to further the story. There are still some zips of character there that have to smile at. Nonetheless I can't help to find the overall package lacking at this point.

It was the weakest chapter thus far for me, but I didn't dislike it. I guess I missed the presence of characters more than I missed the Point & Click item-based gameplay though. What's there in characterisation is great. It's just a little light in volume, probably due to its focus. I also noticed there weren't a lot of choices this time around, and most of the variables came from the preceding chapters. Either way, time to reset the timer on the agonising wait for the next chapter.

Nico_D

I feel like a season 2 is highly unlikely. Activision has sent their "Sierra" reboot to essentially die.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks!

I've gotten almost to the end of the chapter. I dislike it even more now. The story is fine, characters are good, humor is even great at times. But the puzzles are just plain bad - and even repeating a puzzle from chapter one AND making it even more slower tempo and annoying? What is that?

Episode 1 was all-around brilliant.
Episode 2 was great with darkness and few nice puzzles.
Episode 3 was light on puzzles but the great humor and story made up for it.

This episode was such a disappointment. It's like they took the "one puzzle I hate in every adventure game/RPG," and made a whole game out of it. The story/character moments were lovely, but this was nowhere near a point and click adventure game.

Also, I found out this was released because I saw a trailer uploaded on a youtube channel the day it went live. Activision really hates this series, huh?

That chapter was pretty lame

Can't believe they brought back that shitty arrow chess puzzle from the first chapter again and made it even more annoying

Ultimadrago

The episodic format/development didn't work out all that well for King's Quest and budget probably went down along the way due to the reality of sales. The first episode was stellar and polished, the next two were ok but already felt rushed and this fourth episode is mediocre at best. If they had scrapped the episodic format and offered a standalone game based on episode 1, at maybe twice the length of that episode, i'm convinced they would have made an awesome adventure game.

Yeah, the more I think about this theory, the more it makes sense. That's really sad :(

xclk07

Yeah, the more I think about this theory, the more it makes sense. That's really sad :(

I'm honestly a bit shocked we're going to be getting all 5 episodes. Huge props to the developers forging ahead because I would have thought Activision would've pulled the plug. The episodic nature of this killed it and it's a damn shame. If they released a full game, Activision might have lost (more) $$, but we probably would've gotten an amazing adventure game. :-(

Demoli

I'm mostly curious to what they'll do with chapter 5?

They teased mordack but he first encounters Graham in KQ5, and dies in the same game. There's no window for him, un like Manannon.

Maybe it will be all present day?

The Odd Gentlemen posted on Facebook today that Chapter 5 will release on October 25, along with retail versions for Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PS4.

Zolo

The Odd Gentlemen posted on Facebook today that Chapter 5 will release on October 25

I'd generally be excited for a quick release, but after episode 4, it feels like it's kinda just being pushed out now. There's also the epilogue for those who got the collection.

Top Bottom