• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

Ok episode 3 was good. Glad I powered through episode 2 which was bad.

I will agree that episode 3 felt more like sequence -> sequence -> sequence and less like chapter 1 with the lots of exploration and trying stuff, but Graham moves so goddamn slow I can't say it bothers me. I was gettin real tired of walking back and forth across the map at the breakneck speed of 2 mph in chapter 1

Forgot to say I played episode 2 and finished it.

Yeah my issues with it weren't necessary lol maybe I'm just expecting the worst out of these modern adventure games after the grim dark telltale titles.

It wasnt as bad as I expected and it had its charm such as the story book dressed up characters which made me lol, but some of those puzzles lmao. There was one I had to look up because I couldn't find the fucking item after a cutscene

Did the intro of episode 3, enjoyed what I played. Probably will finish it this weekend.

Ultimadrago

I really liked Episode 3. I understand that it's not the open puzzle freeroam that Episode 1 was, but I enjoy the characters first and foremost out of it and that's what I got. I was given (largely) new environments with new, enjoyable characters to share the space with. I'm looking forward to Episode 4 in hopes that we don't get another Episode 2.

That said, I didn't find Episode 2 dreadful, but it was disappointing to me. I suppose being stuck in a
goblin cave
for its entirety didn't help matters. While brief, it made me enjoy the
Beach location (I forgot the proper name of the place)
in Episode 3 all the more.

I quite liked the tension of chapter 2. Chapter 3 was more a series of mini-games which was disappointing at the time but I liked the character moments.

Chapter 1 > 2 > 3.

Forgot to say I played episode 2 and finished it.

Yeah my issues with it weren't necessary lol maybe I'm just expecting the worst out of these modern adventure games after the grim dark telltale titles.

It wasnt as bad as I expected and it had its charm such as the story book dressed up characters which made me lol, but some of those puzzles lmao. There was one I had to look up because I couldn't find the fucking item after a cutscene

Did the intro of episode 3, enjoyed what I played. Probably will finish it this weekend.
Glad you went through with it. I had the same reservations but then just thought if I mess this up so bad I'll just replay it.

wouwie

Once all chapters are out, i might replay the entire game as "a complete game". I also hope the publisher will consider a boxed version at that point and do a bit of publicity to promote the game again. It deserves to do good and i hope the developers will get the opportunity to do another similar game in the future.

Did they fixed the complete collection problems people had on PS4 because of the free first episode?
What do you mean? I bought the season pass and it was cheaper to buy it than to buy individual episodes if that's what you're talking about.

Or is there a different version than the season pass?

F4r0_Atak

What do you mean? I bought the season pass and it was cheaper to buy it than to buy individual episodes if that's what you're talking about.

Or is there a different version than the season pass?

There is the season pass, that includes episodes 2-5, and the complete collection, that includes episodes 2-5 and a bonus playable epilogue exclusive to this package. When the first episode got free on PS+ last year, bunch of people reported in trying to purchase the complete collection. What I would like to know is whether or not hat problem was ever fixed?

Just beat episode 3.

After my annoyance with episode 2, this is just what the series needed to get back on my really good side. Definitely worth it. As to which princess I went for I of course went for
Vee
because as a
pun lover
it was the only right choice. Great game.

There is the season pass, that includes episodes 2-5, and the complete collection, that includes episodes 2-5 and a bonus playable epilogue exclusive to this package. When the first episode got free on PS+ last year, bunch of people reported in trying to purchase the complete collection. What I would like to know is whether or not hat problem was ever fixed?

Oh strange. Didn't even see the complete collection. Hopefully I can buy the epilogue separately then, it'd be a shame to lock it behind a "complete collection"

edit: wait I just read on the issue. The fuck is this shit with an exclusive epilogue I can't even buy separate. I wasn't even given the option to buy 'the complete collection' so I bought the season pass and I'm now locked out of an epilogue? I wouldn't worry too much about it as I'm sure the devs will give another option for people to buy but this is, as of right now, horseshit.

Jeels

Episode 3 was good fun. Let's see where this goes. :( Hopefully they do an art book and a soundtrack (maybe some figures?) when all is said and done.

wouwie

Episode 3 was good fun. Let's see where this goes. :( Hopefully they do an art book and a soundtrack (maybe some figures?) when all is said and done.

The soundtrack from the first chapter is available on Spotify. But i'd be interested in the soundtrack from the complete game once all chapters are released. I think it's actually a very good soundtrack and i like it a lot. An artbook would be nice too. As i mentioned before, i hope the developers might do a boxed version and throw in some goodies (art book, ost) once all chapters are out.

CREMSteve

Playing episode 2, and man, I'm killing everyone. Almost feel like I need to replay this a second time to fix all the mistakes I've made.
I just let a dog and a pregnant woman die for fuck sakes.

This game doesn't pull punches, lol.

Blues1990

Which girl is more like Valanice in the old King's Quest games?

I'm starting to wonder about this, myself. Valanice in the original series was born in eastern Kolyma (her father was a prince, while her mother was a millmaid) & she behaved with a reasonable amount of propriety, grace, & wisdom. But she was shown to be pretty mischievous when teasing her husband, & shown kindness toward all. She also had long, auburn hair & blue/brown/turquoise eyes.

Really, I think Chapter 3 had split her playful demeanour and her noble diplomacy into two new characters, & it's up to interpretation to the player on who is the "true" Queen Valanice.

I'm starting to wonder about this, myself. Valanice in the original series was born in eastern Kolyma (her father was a prince, while her mother was a millmaid) & she behaved with a reasonable amount of propriety, grace, & wisdom. But she was shown to be pretty mischievous when teasing her husband, & shown kindness toward all. She also had long, auburn hair & blue/brown/turquoise eyes.

Really, I think Chapter 3 had split her playful demeanour and her noble diplomacy into two new characters, & it's up to interpretation to the player on who is the "true" Queen Valanice.

That's really interesting. Wonder why they decided to retell this story differently aside from doing a funny dating sim epsiode. Is all that Hagatha stuff in the original games too?

Visually Vee. Attitude-wise it seems like Vee aswell from 7.

Vee is best girl.
Oh. Hmm. I went with Neese. I kind of liked her design better and you don't really see girls be all adventure crazy and act like a goofball much in games.

That's really interesting. Wonder why they decided to retell this story differently aside from doing a funny dating sim epsiode. Is all that Hagatha stuff in the original games too?

Oh. Hmm. I went with Neese. I kind of liked her design better and you don't really see girls be all adventure crazy and act like a goofball much in games.

Neese was nice too, but you also don't often see the 'tough girl' archetype who also appreciates intelligence over brawn and isn't a total a-hole, just sarcastic. More often than not the tough girl is seen in action games where the writers basically write a dude character and then make them into a woman.

Blues1990

From what I remember, Hagatha in the old series seems to be much inline with how she's shown in Chapter 3. Poor eyesight (though this makes up for her excellent hearing), toothless, facial features resembles a leather hand-purse, and so forth. I don't recall the new game mention her cannibalistic tendencies, or if she kills travelers that come near the tower, and she doesn't have claw-like hands.

Really, up until Graham reaches the Crystal Tower, everything in Once Upon A Climb is a re-creation of Romancing the Throne, and there are small nods from that entry into the new one. However, the biggest change is the new series gives context for why she was jealous of Valanice, let alone for her habit of capturing maidens.

SPOILERS:
There is also the fact that she is the sister of Mordack and Manannan in the old series, so I wonder if The Odd Gentlemen's will keep that fact in mind for future episodes.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I just saw the first episode is free now, I have had my eye on this for ages. I won't finish it, but I'll give it a little test to see if it's my cup of tea, if it is I'll grab the complete collection at some point.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm two hours into the first episode and I just love it, I've been really depressed lately and wanted a game to cheer me up and King's Quest has really taken my mind off my problems while playing it, the humour, voice acting and art style are just so happy and fun. I'm wondering if the game gets better or worse as it goes on? I only have the free episode but I'll definitely grab it when it's cheaper if it stays good throughout. And I will finish it, I know I said I wouldn't but I haven't enjoyed a game this much in awhile.

Sciz

I'm two hours into the first episode and I just love it, I've been really depressed lately and wanted a game to cheer me up and King's Quest has really taken my mind off my problems while playing it, the humour, voice acting and art style are just so happy and fun. I'm wondering if the game gets better or worse as it goes on? I only have the free episode but I'll definitely grab it when it's cheaper if it stays good throughout. And I will finish it, I know I said I wouldn't but I haven't enjoyed a game this much in awhile.

Chapter 2 is something of a downer and doesn't have a whole lot of the charming character interactions that define the first chapter, but Chapter 3 is a return to form on a more intimate scale.

Chapter 2 is something of a downer and doesn't have a whole lot of the charming character interactions that define the first chapter, but Chapter 3 is a return to form on a more intimate scale.

yeah as someone who adored chapter 1, chapter 2 is a downer and one of those "you have very few options to do good" in. Definitely the weakest episode. Someone in here told me to not stress too much about it and I think that's the best advice.

I bit the bullet after playing episode 1 a couple months back and bought the season pass. Now I'm worried about all the negativity I'm seeing about episode 2.

I liked episode 2 for the ways it was different from episode 1. It gets darker and open-ended and gives a sense of consequence. It does let itself down with this in the end but the journey was good.

Episode 3 was more disappointing to me, being more a collection of different mini-games linked together, though the characterisation helped it a lot.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I bit the bullet after playing episode 1 a couple months back and bought the season pass. Now I'm worried about all the negativity I'm seeing about episode 2.

Episode two is conceptually very strong, and has a few really good ideas, but it just... isn't finished. And I don't mean the story or anything, I mean the implementation itself.

The second one is fine. It's just pretty different from what I expected, and unexpectedly stressful. It's the weakest one of the episodes thus far, but I still think it's a respectable entry in retrospect.

I've played quite a bit of chapter 2 now and I think it's pretty good. The environment is a little boring as well the character interactions compared to the first chapter but I still like it. I do get what people mean when they say they felt under pressure though. Already made some mistakes.

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
As a long-time fan of the series, I was ecstatic to get a new entry and this outing really hasn't disappointed at all. I've played each chapter at least twice (the first chapter a good ten times or so), and it's just utterly charming (I love it enough to have a huge promo poster on my wall!). I have one save slot to do a blind playthrough and then the rest I cater for each of the three outcomes, as well as other sub-outcomes
such as saving the merchant

My favourite thing is playing each chapter repeatedly and finding new nods to the original series every time. There's so much to gain from it that way, but I love how it has made the series accessible to newcomers as well.

I've enjoyed all of the episodes, particularly Chapter 1 which was amazing. I love all of the characters that have been introduced.
Still totally torn up about Achaka though.

Hoping to see Chapter 4 soon, but so pleased to see it getting some love here.

HooYaH

Formatted the PC and found out this game doesn't support cloud saving. I guess I'll replay this game in its entirely next year.

wouwie

I wonder when chapter 4 will be released. Chapter 3 was released end of april iirc so i assume we will hear more about chapter 4 this month. I'm looking forward to it.

I need a hint for something in chapter 2 and I don't just want to look it up. I'll spoiler it just in case.

In the room where there's a goblin on a pile of mattresses with a music box, can I figure out what to do in there based on what's in the room or do I need an item or something else first?

Jeels

The soundtrack from the first chapter is available on Spotify. But i'd be interested in the soundtrack from the complete game once all chapters are released. I think it's actually a very good soundtrack and i like it a lot. An artbook would be nice too. As i mentioned before, i hope the developers might do a boxed version and throw in some goodies (art book, ost) once all chapters are out.

Did not know this, just favorited a few of the tracks. :) Thanks!

I finished chapter 2 and enjoyed it. I get the comments about it feeling a bit rushed but overall, it had a nice story and I liked some of the puzzles. I'll probably take a break and play a few other things before jumping into chapter 3.

Krentist

Neo Member

It's interesting because at the end when the chosen girl says their full name,
they both say "Valanice". But more importantly, Vee says she's the Valanice from eastern kolyma, whereas Neese is from western, so it seems much more obvious that Vee is the "true" Valanice for people sticking to the original KQ origins.

And anyway, her
pun dialogues when they're older are so much cuter than older Neese's dialogues, so there just seems to be a better connection between Vee and Graham.

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
I need a hint for something in chapter 2 and I don't just want to look it up. I'll spoiler it just in case.

In the room where there's a goblin on a pile of mattresses with a music box, can I figure out what to do in there based on what's in the room or do I need an item or something else first?

I've put a couple of spoilers here, the first will answer your question directly, the second will give you a more direct hint.

1)
You can complete this room with everything in it, however a hint on how to complete the puzzle is found elsewhere.

2)
You need to be at full strength to find the above-mentioned hint.

Playing through chapter 3 now. I'm liking it so far but I get what people mean when they say it's just a series of minigames. Vee is the best though.

wouwie

After going quiet for a while, the developers posted on Twitter that we should get "exciting news soon" so hopefully chapter 4 news. I'm always looking forward to a new King's Quest chapter. It would be nice if they could finish the complete game by the end of this year.

I'm curious about the next chapter as each of the three existing ones play pretty differently. Maybe they'll throw yet another curveball, or maybe they'll blend elements from all previous chapters.

Slaythe

I don't mind the radically different game designs for each chapters.

Even though the first one would have been a good example to follow, it makes the "collection" unique.

As in, each chapter is its own thing. I find it interesting.

Refreshing even, after those lazy ass telltale games.

Can't wait for episode 4 !

Top Bottom