• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima responds to the criticism of Quiet in MGSV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. X

Kojima is pretty much saying this was a part of the marketing for MGSV and everything is going as planned?

Damn, son.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
WickedLaharl said:
This is the Kaine Defense and it didn't work for Nier either.

Kaine's dress was entirely in keeping with Nier's core theme that you shouldn't rush to judgement based upon appearances.

As a justification based on context Its actually pretty-much bulletproof.

Deeds? What dee-

You forgot someone

tumblr_mght6evj5g1qawcbshp.gif

Indeed I did :p

Sorry, I'm not Solid Snake, or Raiden, or any male action star in Kojima's games either. You know why? It's fiction. He does what he wants.

How is that an answer to my post ?

Kikujiro

It would be neat if the context of the whole scenario ended up being a mighty heaping of humbling for the keyboard warriors who are more concerned with establishing their moral code and high horse than actually evaluating what is in the game, but I suspect Kojima doesn't have the storytelling chops to pull it off.

This is my stance as well, surprise me Kojima.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
he's gonna pull a Nier isn't he.
Quiet is a 72-yo Afghanistan transvestite who was sexually molested as a young boy. I thought it was all too apparent.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Isn't she supposed to be Afghan? Maybe her open clothing is a reaction to being raised in a conservative Muslim environment where she couldn't show any skin, couldn't fight for her country or do anything except be a baby-making machine.

My point is proven even more with your post that Kojima doesn't really depict women very well in his games. MGS4 and Peace Walker took it too far though.

Your example in PW is just an extra thing, nothing to do with story. In that game, the women were strong characters in their own right, even though there are people who didn't like them but that's besides the point.

Isn't she supposed to be Afghan? Maybe her open clothing is a reaction to being raised in a conservative Muslim environment where she couldn't show any skin, couldn't fight for her country or do anything except be a baby-making machine.

That would be hilarious if he was substituting objectification for misogyny and then acts like he's a champion of women's rights.

Hystzen

Can't wait until we are shown in detail the child solider plot lines be interesting to see what gets more uproar.

Dead child soldiers or a woman sniper wearing little clothes in the desert

Loakum

Banned
Kojima is a Master at internet headlines. He is milking this phony outrage story, as a means to further advertise MGSV. The man is a genius!

co1onel

Holy crap its like MGS2 all over. He was trying to get a reaction out of the internet in order to prove a point, and he got it.

Your example in PW is just an extra thing, nothing to do with story. In that game, the women were strong characters in their own right, even though there are people who didn't like them but that's besides the point.

Yes I realize that, it's why I said it was an unlockable, but still it was a move I didn't like very much.

Yes I realize that, it's why I said it was an unlockable, but still it was a move I didn't like very much.

Ah I see. Well, same here. I don't really like these things much either but I didn't mind much because I think they were optional. If it was something forced on me, then I'd be annoyed.

I think in Japan they treat this kind of stuff as humour - even nudity. It's like humour for them. I noticed that in the original Dragon Ball anime too where Bulma's naked and it's played for laughs and Goku and his private part and stuff. They don't really think much about it and don't make a big fuss. I guess that's what's different about the Japanese?

Vizzeh

Banned
I REALLY cannot wait for this game, gonna be so different to the usual drivvel we have to deal with sometimes, this aint no generic shooter, its MGS! :) the more I see the more I love it, open world, call in choppers, horse riding (omg RDR2 - Rockstar, bring it!)

I will wait, and cannot wait at the same time :)

Trike

I know there's people concerning about "Quiet" but don't worry. I created her character as an antithesis to the women characters appeared in the past fighting game who are excessively exposed. "Quiet" who doesn't have a word will be teased in the story as well. But once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

Theme of "MGSV" is "GENE"⇒"MEME"⇒"SCENE"⇒"PEACE"⇒"RACE". Story touches the misunderstanding, prejudice, hatred, conflict caused by the difference of language, race, custom, culture, and preference. The response of "Quiet" disclosure few days ago incited by the net is exactly what "MGSV" itself is.

Meanwhile, at a Konami fighting game...

Not to mention that "because fighting games" is not a good/relevant excuse, especially after admitting he was doing it for other greedy reasons. But that comment is weird, I think George Lucas forgot he was making Splinter Cell and not a fighting game.

Maybe Quiet is a transgender/transsexual? Perhaps her body is disfigured and scarred and uses some sort of camouflage in the form of a sexy body to hide that? Maybe her body used to look like that before she got tortured or something.

In any case, I trust Kojima and can't wait for MGS V.

zhorkat

So.. is Quiet then supposed to be both an antithesis of certain types of female characters in fighting games as well as a character designed to sell figurines?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
What if it is actually a skin-suit and she's fully dressed under it?

What if Quiet is actually an autonomous nanomachine driven by a prototype nanomachine wearing nanomachines made out of refractive nanomachines which are invisible when viewed in sunlight but when seen through nanomachine goggles it is revealed that the autonomous nanomachine entity code named "Quiet" is in fact none other than DARPA Chief Donald Nanomachines.

But once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

I have said it numerous times, she is dressed like that because she was captured and tortured.

Loakum

Banned
See...what Kojima is trying to say is....being critical of a semi dressed woman..is discriminating against the female form, which leads to prejudice, which leads to conflicts, which leads to war. The man is deep. *starts slow clap*

televator

exdJwn2.jpg

No seriously though, it's all about racism.

Yeah, I'm told I should wait to play the game before I can make any fair judgement on the character's attire. I say fine, but this tweet by Kojima is fair game for criticism. It also doesn't make me hopeful that he'll prove me wrong...

Trike

And we had this as a playable character MORE THAN 10 YEARS AGO:

qCJwuwn.jpg

Oh, the offense!

I don't see how Raiden is an apt comparison, if anything Kaz is a better comparison. Paz is a good one too, but there is a huge difference in all of those examples. Quiet is being promoted like this from the get-go. I know for a fact that Raiden was never hyped up as "naked cartwheel man" from the get-go, as he wasn't even hyped up as "playable character". I could be wrong about the "date" scenarios, but I don't think they were promoted before the game came out. I think at the very least pictures of them in a state of undress could have been? Not 100% sure.

But the fact remains that they were not originally promoted like that. All of the released character art for Quiet has been in that same outfit. But honestly, that is not the part that bothers me. It is the fact that he straight up staid that he was trying to sexualize her to drive cosplay and figurine sales. Now he comes up with this seemingly random excuse about fighting game characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom