• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima responds to the criticism of Quiet in MGSV

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Don't understand why anyone is surprised by this, Kojima always creates deep and complex characters even one that at first seem one dimensional. The simple fact that he created The Boss should give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to female characterization.

Scooter

Banned
And we had this as a playable character MORE THAN 10 YEARS AGO:

qCJwuwn.jpg

Oh, the offense!

I, for one, am offended by Kojima's depictions of naked males in his sexist games. The objectification of men must stop. Problematic.

Isn't she supposed to be Afghan? Maybe her open clothing is a reaction to being raised in a conservative Muslim environment where she couldn't show any skin, couldn't fight for her country or do anything except be a baby-making machine.

My first thought too. Everyone else going wild with their theories lol.

Zeliard

What if Quiet is actually an autonomous android driven by a prototype Patriot AI wearing armor made out of refractive nanomachines which are invisible when viewed in sunlight but when seen through X-ray goggles it is revealed that the autonomous robotic entity code named "Quiet" is in fact none other than DARPA Chief Donald Anderson.

Dude, spoilers.

Scooter

Banned
I don't see how Raiden is an apt comparison, if anything Kaz is a better comparison. Paz is a good one too, but there is a huge difference in all of those examples. Quiet is being promoted like this from the get-go. I know for a fact that Raiden was never hyped up as "naked cartwheel man" from the get-go, as he wasn't even hyped up as "playable character". I could be wrong about the "date" scenarios, but I don't think they were promoted before the game came out. I think at the very least pictures of them in a state of undress could have been? Not 100% sure.

But the fact remains that they were not originally promoted like that. All of the released character art for Quiet has been in that same outfit. But honestly, that is not the part that bothers me. It is the fact that he straight up staid that he was trying to sexualize her to drive cosplay and figurine sales. Now he comes up with this seemingly random excuse about fighting game characters.

Raiden as a character was created specifically for female MGS fans.

I, for one, am offended by Kojima's depictions of naked males in his sexist games. The objectification of men must stop. Problematic.

You got that right bro, I feel disgusted!

I don't see how Raiden is an apt comparison, if anything Kaz is a better comparison. Paz is a good one too, but there is a huge difference in all of those examples. Quiet is being promoted like this from the get-go. I know for a fact that Raiden was never hyped up as "naked cartwheel man" from the get-go, as he wasn't even hyped up as "playable character". I could be wrong about the "date" scenarios, but I don't think they were promoted before the game came out. I think at the very least pictures of them in a state of undress could have been? Not 100% sure.

But the fact remains that they were not originally promoted like that. All of the released character art for Quiet has been in that same outfit. But honestly, that is not the part that bothers me. It is the fact that he straight up staid that he was trying to sexualize her to drive cosplay and figurine sales. Now he comes up with this seemingly random excuse about fighting game characters.

Raiden IS the perfect comparison. He is the way he is because they wanted to SEXUALIZE the character so that he would appeal to female japanese gamers.

Just imagine having a naked hot female protagonist being controlled by the player in a modern, 3D-HD videogame. Imagine being able to do a cartwheel with her and see her non-existant genitalia. Imagine the outrage whatever the reasons for the character to be naked.

delta25

Banned
I've been playing through MGS 4 again, and my god what an amazing game. Regardless if Kojima has some fetish towards scantily clad women in power the man sure can make an amazing game and in the end isn't that what counts the most.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It's sad that he has to respond to all the shit he gets for it.

PLEASE DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING MR. KOJIMA AND MAKE THE GAME YOU WANT TO MAKE!

Shauni

Sniper Wolf, Fortune, Eva, and Pacifica Ocean all had that sexualized look. I guess the industry has finally caught up to Kojima, because he's been doing this shit for a long time. There's usually a counter-balance, though: Meryl, Olga, The Boss, and Strangelove. I guess there wasn't so much in 4, unless you count Meryl again. I'm sure we'll see the same kind of thing here, especially if Strangelove is actually alive.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Dude, spoilers.

Ah shit, that was rude of me. I think I fixed it, though:

What if Quiet is actually an autonomous nanomachine driven by a prototype nanomachine wearing nanomachines made out of refractive nanomachines which are invisible when viewed in sunlight but when seen through nanomachine goggles it is revealed that the autonomous nanomachine entity code named "Quiet" is in fact none other than DARPA Chief Donald Nanomachines.

Joni

He wants to get the Japanese men back into bed with women! He is saving Japan, not doing something perverted! (Curious to see his reasons)

I don't think its quite sound to merely judge Kojima's characters. For good and for worse, they could turn out to be anything. He's using sex to sell, but it doesn't mean that the char is devoid of any value outside of that.

If he hadn't previously explicitly said that he wanted her to be more sexy for figurine sales and cosplayers I'd be much more inclined to believe him.

I hope what he says is true though.

If it turns out that she was dressed that way by her captors it doesn't make anything better and it sure invalidates the "sexual empowerment" argument.

Rojo

Yup its Race kinda obvious. So basically Kojima was trolling again and instead of holding the fort ALA MGS2 he does some damage control cool.

If he hadn't previously explicitly said that he wanted her to be more sexy for figurine sales and cosplayers I'd be much more inclined to believe him.

I hope what he says is true though.

I think he explicitly said that to bring about conflict. Many people are "whatever, he's kojima and MGS!!", but there are many warriors as well who defend or attack him over it. Like that 343 designer dude. He would be the first one to fire nukes if he was in a real war.

Kojima trying to bring about the notion that there is no definite right or wrong in a war?

Trike

Right, forgot about that. But the difference is that Raiden was not promoted at all prior to the games release. Many people thought that they were going to be playing as Solid Snake. Also the only thing they sexualized with his core design was, according to Shinkawa, making his suit skin tight. The rest they just tried to make appealing to girls, which apparently meant a feminine male character and Titanic. They took a fan letter from a single girl into consideration because she didn't want to play as an old man, not necessarily because Snake wasn't sexy enough. After Raiden's backlash, I assume MGS4 was planned specifically as revenge.

The naked cartwheeling was mentioned, and that is endgame stuff. Quiet is being overtly sexualized from the beginning. Which again, isn't my main issue, it is Kojima's odd reasoning after he admitted it was because of cosplay and figurine sales.

You got that right bro, I feel disgusted!

Raiden IS the perfect comparison. He is the way he is because they wanted to SEXUALIZE the character so that he would appeal to female japanese gamers.

Just imagine having a naked hot female protagonist being controlled by the player in a modern, 3D-HD videogame. Imagine being able to do a cartwheel with her and see her non-existant genitalia. Imagine the outrage whatever the reasons for the character to be naked.

See my above comment, and also a game called "X-Blades" and more or less "Blades of Time". There is also an MMO where you only play as females, and eventually you can get them completely naked. No one really cares about those as much as they are terrible games. If it was female instead of Raiden, there would be backlash. See, people are upset at the over sexualization of female characters because that is the norm for games and people want that to change.

Zen

Banned
I asked this in the other thread but here is maybe better.

What do the women on Gaf think of the character Quiet? Is the way she's dressed offensive to you?

I can't answer for them, but the shit storm started when Kojima tweeted that he was constantly going to his character designer telling him to make her more erotic/sexual and the goal was to sell more figurines and encourage sexy cosplay.

We then got a shot of her model in a sudo stripper/hooker pose showing off the more revealing outfit and curves.

One female cosplayer said she no longer plans on cosplaying as Quiet, saying she looks 'trashy'.

And we had this as a playable character MORE THAN 10 YEARS AGO:

qCJwuwn.jpg

Oh, the offense!

Not remotely comparable.

There's a difference between being created with the idea of appealing to a demographic and... Quiet. At worst it's a matter of degrees and class.

Kojima is just a hack, plain and simple.

No this isn't like that bit where Raiden is naked. That at least is not Raiden's actual uniform. This is more like if Raiden's normal uniform was always nothing but a tiny skintight thong that almost leaves his cock hanging out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom