• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games Announces 4 New Versions of L.A. Noire coming November 14, 2017

Motion controls on Switch, thank god. I'll wait and see how this one turns out (won't have time for it in the near future anyway, and I've never clicked that well with Rockstar games as they have a certain clunkiness to them) but along with Skyrim, this helps establish a healthy precedent for how third-party ports ought to be done if they are coming at all.

Hesemonni

Banned
I was always under the impression that the game was really mediocre, but it having 89 @ MC is a real suprise to me.

shiyrley

Banned
I have a really good PC (i7 6700k, GTX 1070) and a Switch. I don't have an Xbox One or a PS4. Wonder if the Switch version will be worth it over the mess that the PC version apparently is...

Doesn't this game get bad real quick in the homicide desk? Or was it arson? Can't remember.

Homicide was
completely pointless in hindsight. You even get yelled at for making "wrong" choices, even though everyone is innocent. Chose the seemingly abusive husband over the creepy janitor?
WRONG

Even though i really don't plan on buying it with all the other actually new games coming, i am curious how much better it looks thanks to visual enhancements and additions.

LordKano

Switch is apparently outsourced port of the PC version.

Remaster for PS4/XB1 done in-house by a small team. No direction on who did the VR stuff.

PC version will not be updated.

So for Switch we're looking at a PC port, probably at 1080p docked and 720p portable, while PS4/One versions will have a 1080p remaster with all the enhancements listed in the PR. And Rockstar continue to shit on PC players.

I remember enjoying this, and hating the homicide guy very very much to the point I repeatedly tried to run him over.

Also the Burlesque songs were excellent!! I still listen to Torch song from time to time.

Ridley327

Doesn't this game get bad real quick in the homicide desk? Or was it arson? Can't remember.

The Homicide arc needed to be beholden to the real life crime that it's about, but man, they really picked about the worst possible way to resolve it. Personally, I thought the overall story went completely south during Vice, since that's when they decide to throw in a particular twist that didn't make any sense at all for what we knew about that character, so the rest of the game suffers. Arson didn't make things easy for itself when it decided to be (not an explicit spoiler, but covering my ass in case spoilerphobes yell at me)
Chinatown for impatient people

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Not sure if this was covered here, but I'd love to see a PC update for this.

That said, I'm seriously considering the Switch version - both in order to show support for them and to replay it with some DLC I missed back then.

I own the PS3 version but never finished it. I really enjoyed the game despite it's technical flaws. If the PS4 version runs smooth I will definitely buy it.

I was always under the impression that the game was really mediocre, but it having 89 @ MC is a real suprise to me.

It's got major problems no doubt but it's such a unique experience that it's hard not to recommend. The voice of Garrus from Mass Effect voices one of your partners in this game which is great. Also, playing this game on PC at 30 fps and in black in white was a great way to play it.

Not sure if this was covered here, but I'd love to see a PC update for this.

That said, I'm seriously considering the Switch version - both in order to show support for them and to replay it with some DLC I missed back then.

Yeah, I wonder if they would bother to update the PC version? It'll be interesting to see. Also, I'm too looking to get the Switch version.

Keinning

The Homicide arc needed to be beholden to the real life crime that it's about, but man, they really picked about the worst possible way to resolve it. Personally, I thought the overall story went completely south during Vice, since that's when they decide to throw in a particular twist that didn't make any sense at all for what we knew about that character, so the rest of the game suffers. Arson didn't make things easy for itself when it decided to be (not an explicit spoiler, but covering my ass in case spoilerphobes yell at me)
Chinatown for impatient people

homicide was good till they decided to wrap it all up with
the same killer
. Based on real cases or not, it made no sense specially for one specific case and the convenient double suspects, but not particularly bad till the last case which was a mess. Vice is where things started to get pretty bad and Arson had potential but had to be rushed as it was end game already

I guess the game really suffered because of the cut desk. Would be nice if they added it for this new version but oh well

No_Style

lanoire_writer_beforeduringafter.jpg

Finally. Dan Ryckert rendered in true 4k.

Excellent.

Was looking to see if anyone pointed this out. Hahaha

Why would Rockstar choose to port this and not RDR? Especially with a sequel on the way. Just seems like an odd choice.

Probably the level of effort required. L.A. Noire has a PC port to work off of after all.

Plum

I know it seems weird but the open world might be a bit better on Switch. Being able to just go around, find collectibles, do side-missions, stuff like that might be a lot more suited towards portable play than long sit-down sessions.

Keinning

I know it seems weird but the open world might be a bit better on Switch. Being able to just go around, find collectibles, do side-missions, stuff like that might be a lot more suited towards portable play than long sit-down sessions.

It won't
Portable does nothing to make empty, boring (but pretty) open world environments better, it's not a magic spell

jelly

Why would Rockstar choose to port this and not RDR? Especially with a sequel on the way. Just seems like an odd choice.

Apparently it's amazing that RDR even works well on consoles, gaffer taped together and would be a lot of work to port to PC. I'm sure PC will get RDR2 which probably adds to it never happening. Who knows after this.

Can I have Max payne 3 instead?

I did actually really enjoye L.A. Noire originaly on PS3 yet replaying it doesn't feel enticing, unlike max payne 3.

Plum

It won't
Portable does nothing to make empty, boring (but pretty) open world environments better, it's not a magic spell

Didn't say it would be amazing, but I can't see why it wouldn't improve things since portable does let you go in with a different mindset.

Nintendo Switch named before PS4 and Xbone? Alphabetical? Rockstar seeing the future that the Switch will likely see the most sales for this game?

Pooya

They're doing this instead of RDR. Seems like bad business.

The game was so boring. It had some novelty going for it and it was very detailed for sure but man, did the story suck.

I'll pick this up for the Switch in lieu of The Warriors on the Switch, which would be mighty fine.

I think it's the first Rockstar game on a Nintendo console since Rockstar Table Tennis for the Wii.

Emphasis on Console

No, that would be Smuggler's Run Warzones on GC
b1nXHNQ.jpg

Who even asked for this?

About LA Noire, I was very hyped during it's launch. Pre-ordered it, got it day 1. Then was so disappointed. The much touted facial expressions looked hilarious. They overdid it.

Much, much, much worse. It's not a detective game.

You go to a crime scene and you look for three "clues" that have sparkling edges, and you hit "A" on them, which causes your character to pick it up and talk about it. Every crime scene has 3 clues. If you "find" all three clues then it unlocks certain dialog choices in each mission. "Finding" clues literally comes down to walking around in a circle pressing "A" on items that are shimmering on the ground.

Here's what's makes it even worse.

There's tons of plain junk laying around on the ground in each crime scene that you can pick up, which is supposed to make you -- the player -- use your skills of detective deduction to figure out something, but it's all arbitrary. But it's all arbitrary and stupid. In an early mission (this isn't a spoiler, it's incredibly stupid and pointless), your character "finds" a match book and that leads him to go to another locale which eventually helps pinpoint the crook. This is treated as a big "Aha!" moment in the game. But... in every other mission as the game goes on, match books are just normal junk strewn around a crime scene, and the character scolds the player for 'wasting his time' or whatever on pointless non-clues for the rest of the game. So, in one mission, a matchbook is a major aha! moement in solving a caper, and yet, for the rest of the game, matchbooks are just random junk.

So, the result is, you walk around a crime scene aimlessly clicking "A" on everything. 90% of the time it's just junk and Cole, the cop, talks to himself about wasting time and not figuring out the mystery. And then 10% of the time a random piece of junk will trigger a unique dialog that's a clue to solving the mystery.

It's a shitty game. I could rant about it much longer. First 2 crimes are pretty good, then yhou realize the rest is junk. The game world is pretty, but empty, with really bad street design and nothing to do.

Wow.

Well, I suppose I could wait, then!

Shifty1897

I can't explain why I want this for Switch. I've already played it and beaten it. But I really, really want it. If it performs well it's getting bought.

Top Bottom