• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: Nintendo Switch’s Right Joy-Con Offers IR Pointer Functionality

Yeah, this was the best thing the Wiimote had to offer, glad Nintendo's not totally abandoning it. Looks like we could also have Wii on Virtual Console as well.

They went through the trouble of getting Duck Hunt back on the Wii U VC and it was only possible thanks to IR aiming. Would be a shame to have it be lost to the ages once again.

I don't keep my consoles under my TV, so that's not going to work for me. I'm not really interesting in IR aiming, though; I much prefer gyro.

linko9

So you have to hold the right part upside down? Seems crazy. And that really limits where you put that dock; must be upright, facing forward, and very close to the TV, and not blocked by any object; e.g. a coffee table.

Couldn´t the middle part of this controller be a touch panel like in DS4 for those games with touch functionality?:

Joycon-IR-Final.jpg

Tadaima

Couldn´t the middle part of this controller be a touch panel like in DS4 for those games with touch functionality?:

Joycon-IR-Final.jpg

Unlikely. If it is included with the system, that would drive up the price for an accessory that not everybody may use. If not, it will splinter the userbase.

MicH

This would be really awesome - especially if the screen acts as a sensor bar when docked.

I cannot go back to dual analog after playing Metroid Prime with the Wii remote nunchuck combo. I needy IR so I am extremely happy to hear this might be a possibility

KAL2006

Banned
I call bullshit especially about the sensor being on the system itself. Who would think of such a dumb idea. Imagine if Microsoft released the Kinect camera which was integrated into the Xbox One. That's how stupid this is. People don't have their systems below their tvs all the time.

As for the IR pointer being on the opposite side of the JoyCon that is an awful idea. When you flip the JoyCon upside down it would he uncomfortable to use and no access to Trigger and shoulder button

I think if this system does have Motion it's would be advanced gyros that don't require a sensor.

Tadaima

Actually, the more I look at the top of the right Joy Con, the more this makes sense. The space with the shoulder buttons will serve as a counterbalance. And it looks pretty comfortable, actually.

ryan-ts

How many games would actually use this? If this rumour is true, I can see Nintendo supporting it with games like Pikmin 4 and VC games. IR function would be a nice add-on but not supported by the majority of games.

ggx2ac

This is no surprise to me seeing as we speculated this in NX threads back in August for how the touchscreen would work when docked.

Could there really be a surprise for the Switch? Maybe for the software, OS or wireless streaming. Seems unlikely with the controls to have something new.

jwillenn

Good. That means that FPSs can actually be played properly on the system.

Oh yes! It's actually an improvement over what we were used to with Wii/Wii U because now we have the additional options that come with standard controllers (secondary stick and more buttons). This remodeled Wiimote was one of my biggest wishes for NX. Actually, I'd been hoping for this since the Wii days. Wow!

NOW the system just needs to get the games to use (and abuse lol) this input powah! Atlus needs to get on a new Trauma Center for NX, or even just remaster the old Wii trilogy. Throw the DS games in while at it. We need new Sin & Punishment, gahdamnit. We need Vanquish 2. Oh baby... I'm gonna have me some fun!

Brickhunt

IR is excellent news, if it is truly an IR sensor there, but the article does say it is mainly to replicate the touchscreen function on the TV, not much for games. It will be waste if we can’t use IR aiming for games, like FPS.

Is there any confirmation or rumor that the Joypad will have any form of motion controls? Unlike IR, I don’t care too much for motion controls, but I can’t help but think Nintendo would never recover the Wii Sports crowd (I don’t mean causal gamers, I mean the crowd that used to play a game that simply cannot be replicated on a touch screen)

Sapiens

Does anyone have an accuracy list on rogers and dale? I'd like to see their batting averages over the last three years.

Bazry

One of the first things we see in the trailer is the system being to the left of the TV, it wouldn't be great advertising if they're later saying it should be below the TV to use the sensor

Tadaima

How many games would actually use this? If this rumour is true, I can see Nintendo supporting it with games like Pikmin 4 and VC games. IR function would be a nice add-on but not supported by the majority of games.

Wii/Wii U VC games
DS/3DS VC games
Games where conventional controls would not work (Art Academy, Mario Maker)
Casual games (Wario Ware, Wii Play)
As a keyboard
As a navigational tool

Actually, the more I look at the top of the right Joy Con, the more this makes sense. The space with the shoulder buttons will serve as a counterbalance. And it looks pretty comfortable, actually.

But wouldnt the part with the right trigger make it unconfortable as it would reside over your little finger?.

gconsole

So the console has to be dead center and vertical in front of the TV? That'll hide my damn screen! :p

So this is really the case then I would assume you can calibrate the pointer so you don't need to place the console right in the middle of you TV.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If this is true, I guess that means the Switch needs to be positioned in front of the TV and I'm not super keen on that. Hopefully the Switch is bc with the old IR sensor.

I call bullshit especially about the sensor being on the system itself. Who would think of such a dumb idea. Imagine if Microsoft released the Kinect camera which was integrated into the Xbox One. That's how stupid this is. People don't have their systems below their tvs all the time.

Wii U Gamepad had a sensor bar integrated.
The sensor bar is practically 2 leds. You can use an old one if it's that inconvenient.

As for the IR pointer being on the opposite side of the JoyCon that is an awful idea. When you flip the JoyCon upside down it would he uncomfortable to use and no access to Trigger and shoulder button

Clickable analog, lateral buttons (L and R for joycon), using the other joycon as nunchuck. There are plenty of options.

Peterc

Ok, so is the weird tought about not having a touchscreen over? lol
Of course the switch will have a touchscreen and pointers, Emily already confirmed it to have motion controll with force feedback and touchscreen.

Nicktendo86

Don't personally see much of a problem with holding the controller upside down to get the functionality, the buttons would appear upside down but would otherwise would be a pretty similar set up to the wii really, except you would have access to four face buttons whilst pointing instead of one A button and a B trigger.

Would need to hold it really to get a feel though. Could be a good solution!

Sapiens

Ok, so is the weird tought about not having a touchscreen over? lol
Of course the switch will have a touchscreen and pointers, Emily already confirmed it to have motion controll with force feedback and touchscreen.
Emily also thought we'd get female link and wasn't she coasting off of the eurogamer leak?

Taker666

For those expecting this to be used for FPS's..it's unlikely.

If the IR camera is at the bottom of the controller it means you won't be able to access the trigger/shoulder button when it's turned to use the pointer.

Another thing I'd say is that if the pointer is only on the right joy-con..that means it's more suited to being in your left hand (as when the right controller is turned upside down the smooth edge would then be facing to the left) ..

...which makes me wonder if both joy-cons might have the IR camera to suit both left and right handed people. If only one joy-con was going to have the IR camera..it would make far more sense for it to be the left-hand one..as when turned upside down it would suit the majority (right-handed people).

random25

That would be good if true, but the question is on implementation. Would the sensor bar work well if the unit is not placed at the center? We all see the unit always placed beside the TV as its size is enough to obscure TV viewing when placed somewhere in front of TV. So we'll see how that will go, assuming this is true.

Shin-Ra

The IR pointer would only work as a replacement for single-touch interactions like Nintendo's previous systems, not multi-touch.

The sensor being on the bottom of the controller piece doesn't make much ergonomic sense if you simultaneously want to use the stick and buttons while pointing.

I think if this system does have Motion it's would be advanced gyros that don't require a sensor.

Totally agree with you. It doesn't make sense for complex games. Also if the screen is multi touch how would you simulate various fingers??? Also they are totally moving away from the Wii brand.

Maybe they are using something like the Leap Motion technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6KuiuteIA

Tadaima

But wouldnt the part with the right trigger make it unconfortable as it would reside over your little finger?.

When looking at it in the actors' hands, there is plenty of room. If it doesn't sit neatly beneath your little finger, it will likely sit comfortably underneath. The shoulder buttons are a very ergonomic round shape, and quite high up.

Tratorn

The sensors are in the top of the Switch, which is why the top peeks out while it's docked.

mF8dpuJ.jpg

maybe the piece of tablet out of the dock can show some info like battery status, wifi on, date et cetera

That would be pretty terrible tbh. You would have to place the whole console in a certain position if you want to use it as a sensor bar, which is quite bad.

CTLance

I really hope the Switch will have pointer functionality since that's awesome for many tasks and games, but if they cram an IR sensor into the joycons, the battery life will drop into a bottomless hole. The IR sensor (not -bar!) basically is a lowres camera, and the joycon will either have to crunch it's output itself, or transmit a considerable amount of image data via wireless to the main unit to have it processed there.

Both ways eat battery power, and with the tiny size, the battery will already be the weakest part of the joycon.

So, uh, hoping for the best here, but expecting the worst.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
If that's the case, then the best solution for those without the space is to buy one of the wireless Wii sensor bars.

Discomurf

Great news - does this mean continued support for IR controls in FPS games? Hope so.

The only bummer is that the Joycon seems kind of small for home use... maybe there will be some sort of grip attachment it can slide into so it becomes sort of a next generation Wiimote. I could see something like this being packed in with Just Dance.

ggx2ac

I'd epect the controllers have to be docked (either to the system or the grip)

I did suggest that at one point but I haven't been able to show any connectors on the Joy-Cons when on the Switch or Grip that show that the Joy-Cons can only charge via that method.

It could charge via induction but there's no need to be that complicated, it just needs a piece of metal when connected to the Switch/Grip to conduct electricity.

Edit: Oh yes, the Sensor bar while docked at least explains how the Wii Remotes can still be used for the Just Dance game, I didn't want to see a port for the sensor bar on the dock.

MDave

Easy solution for those that don't want to or can't put the Switch dock near the TV; plug in a Wii sensor bar into the Switch Dock! it dosnt matter where you put the Switch Dock then.

It is the most elegant and easiest solution for Nintendo to implement for those in that situation.

EVH

There are already ways to have a pointer feature without led bar or anything like the Wiimote had. A few days ago I something like that in a remote for Android TV and it just used a six axis accelerometer. Worked like a charm and would not need to turn your right joycon, fucking up the whole button orientation.

This sounds like only pointer controls, not full motion controls like the Wii Remotes, which is fine since it will keep costs down on the joy-cons.

That would mean that either Switch supports Wii Remotes also or there's another controller to be shown that will allow games like Just Dance to work.

Top Bottom