• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: Nintendo Switch’s Right Joy-Con Offers IR Pointer Functionality

Although it didn't use the pointer, I'm now expecting an HD remaster of Skyward Sword using the Joy-Cons to mimmick the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Interesting, that would clear up the issue of playing Mario Maker in docked mode.

TheYanger

This makes 0 sense. If there's a separate sensor bar then sure, but having it on the console itself? Like, everyone keeps dismissing the "I need to put my console in front of/on top of my tv" comments, but unless it's not using IR that's exactly what you'd have to do. Even in that image with the console to the left of the TV, if it was IR like the wiimote it would have you pointing off to the system instead of the TV in order to get it to function, which would be...no. There's no chance that's happening. I COULD see them having a sensor bar and also one built in for on the go IR stuff, but it seems more likely that it would have a separate bar you'd use on the TV, and the touch screen would be required for on-the-go play. I don't know how that would fly with something like just dance though.

Not saying it's impossible, cause I can see how the ir on the bottom of the right joycon makes sense (you'd even have it correctly oriented with stick and buttons for comfort that way), but as described it wouldn't work.

Taker666

Although it didn't use the pointer, I'm now expecting an HD remaster of Skyward Sword using the Joy-Cons to mimmick the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Seems very likely.

I'd also expect Mario Sports Superstars to be on Switch as well as 3DS (probably at launch)...and feature Wii Sports style motion controls for the Tennis, Golf and Baseball modes.

Make perfect sense...and unlike Wii you've got controllers for two players right out of the box.

Going back to the IR side of things..I hope we can expect a gun shell for lightgun shooters which the joy-con could slot in.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Makes sense as then they could put Wii games on the eshop and have the JoyCons serve as Wiimote/nunchuck.

Buggy Loop

Im starting to think that its just the joycon not clipped completely on the grip controller now. Shit happens in a commercials. Im sorry but this is a silly solution.

-edit, to make myself clear, i think Laura Dale is fueling on GAF users sudden jump to conclusions based on wild imagination for little details in the trailer.

FyreWulff

This makes 0 sense. If there's a separate sensor bar then sure, but having it on the console itself? Like, everyone keeps dismissing the "I need to put my console in front of/on top of my tv" comments, but unless it's not using IR that's exactly what you'd have to do. Even in that image with the console to the left of the TV, if it was IR like the wiimote it would have you pointing off to the system instead of the TV in order to get it to function, which would be...no. There's no chance that's happening. I COULD see them having a sensor bar and also one built in for on the go IR stuff, but it seems more likely that it would have a separate bar you'd use on the TV, and the touch screen would be required for on-the-go play. I don't know how that would fly with something like just dance though.

Not saying it's impossible, cause I can see how the ir on the bottom of the right joycon makes sense (you'd even have it correctly oriented with stick and buttons for comfort that way), but as described it wouldn't work.

They could widen the FOV of the pointer camera and use the IR LED location + the gyro/accelero to continue pointing functionality when the IR LEDs go out of view. Some later games on the Wii actually did this.

Cuburt

This makes no sense.

Even if there were IR in the bezel, the bottom of the joycon? How do you hold it and were is even the button to select something.

Then there is the issue of forcing people to position the dock in a distractingly visible place, possibly in front of the TV, and it would seemingly not even work well with past pointer games as some people here seem to be getting excited about.

But then again I was wrong about the Switch and Nintendo did many things that I thought made no sense, and may still be poor decisions.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Maybe I'm over/underthinking things but, would Nintendo release these Joycons with Wii-esque motion controls without wrist straps? Seems like they'd just be asking for trouble given how things went after the Wii was released.

I know this thread is mostly about the IR stuff, just a little confused about the bit of motion speculation. The IR bit is neat but I imagine they'd have to find a way around the whole "put your console in front of the center of your tv" thing because I imagine that would be a pain for a majority of users.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm not convinced that there is an IR sensor on the bottom of the right joy-con, but I'm totally convinced that a lot of people lack in imagination and understanding what options mean.

TheYanger

They could widen the FOV of the pointer camera and use the IR LED location + the gyro/accelero to continue pointing functionality when the IR LEDs go out of view. Some later games on the Wii actually did this.

The view from the receiver where it is in that picture would actually be worthless though. There's a large difference between a sensor bar 'on top of' the thing you're pointing at, and a sensor bar just 'wherever you put your console'. One will have a spacial relativity that it can figure out what is going on with, and the other is just "Yep,that's some infrared all right. It's moving but no idea if it's coming towards me, away from me, sideways, or if it's just angled wrong"

The IR receiver HAS to have a frame of reference for where it is placed for any of that information to mean anything. I can buy the gyro and the wii-mote stuff, but not the IR receiver on top of a unit that they continually show placed haphazardly.

ggx2ac

I'm not convinced that there is an IR sensor on the bottom of the right joy-con, but I'm totally convinced that a lot of people lack in imagination and understanding what options mean.

I was wondering if the bottom right of the Joy-Con was a USB port as someone else suggested but that would mean the Switch would come with a lot of cables. You have two cables already pointed out for the dock: HDMI Cable and PSU. A power adapter for the Switch unit when not docked. Another two cables to recharge each Joy-Con would make things a mess, hence why it would be more likely the Joy-Cons charge when docked or via the Grip with its own charging port.

Edit: Let's go nuts. The thing at the bottom of the right Joy-Con is the IR camera that detects hand gesture recognition.

Banned
I was wondering if the bottom right of the Joy-Con was a USB port as someone else suggested but that would mean the Switch would come with a lot of cables. You have two cables already pointed out for the dock: HDMI Cable and PSU. A power adapter for the Switch unit when not docked. Another two cables to recharge each Joy-Con would make things a mess, hence why it would be more likely the Joy-Cons charge when docked or via the Grip with its own charging port.

Edit: Let's go nuts. The thing at the bottom of the right Joy-Con is the IR camera that detects hand gesture recognition.
Pfft. It's the hologram projector.

You say lets go nuts, but they are on the patents that surfaced along the joy cons did. But i dont think its feasible because of batteries and processing power

BD1

Banned
That's cool and makes a ton of sense.

IR was the best, I was sad when Nintendo went with WiiMotion+ for aiming in Skyward Sword. Aiming in Twilight Princess was so much better.

ggx2ac

You say lets go nuts, but they are on the patents that surfaced along the joy cons did. But i dont think its feasible because of batteries and processing power

That is what I was referencing. Was there a patent for the Joy-Cons? I must have missed it.

Z3M0G

So is this the main reason the Switch stands up in the doc while in console mode? It still has the IR lights on the top, to emulate the Wii IR bar?

The controller would be the camera/detector, like a Wii-mote?

Edit: others seem to be on the same line of thinking.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So you have to position the dock right in front of your TV? That seems like something that might not work very well for many people.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd welcome this. IR pointing is great, far superior to gyro pointing (the best is a combination, of course).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This sounds like only pointer controls, not full motion controls like the Wii Remotes, which is fine since it will keep costs down on the joy-cons.

That would mean that either Switch supports Wii Remotes also or there's another controller to be shown that will allow games like Just Dance to work.

Accelerometers are dirt cheap, they could easily throw one into one or both of the Joycons.

Servbot24

Banned
I had assumed this would be the case, but i'm glad it's confirmed-ish. It's a great feature.

That said it's not a touch control replacement for certain types of gameplay. You wouldn't want to play Elite Beat Agents with a Wii remote for example.

This sounds like only pointer controls, not full motion controls like the Wii Remotes, which is fine since it will keep costs down on the joy-cons.

That would mean that either Switch supports Wii Remotes also or there's another controller to be shown that will allow games like Just Dance to work.

It's 2016, this tech is not expensive. :p

MacTag

Banned
This makes no sense.

Even if there were IR in the bezel, the bottom of the joycon? How do you hold it and were is even the button to select something.

Then there is the issue of forcing people to position the dock in a distractingly visible place, possibly in front of the TV, and it would seemingly not even work well with past pointer games as some people here seem to be getting excited about.

But then again I was wrong about the Switch and Nintendo did many things that I thought made no sense, and may still be poor decisions.
You just flip the joycon around. If you're using the touchscreen you're only using one joycon for buttons anyway and supposedly the IR is just to simulate touch on the tv screen. It's not intended to be used like the Wii remote setup.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They can always release a seperate sensor bar but I believe most would rather use the integrated one.

Anyway it sounds more like speculation at the moment, hope it's the case.

True, you should be able to use any old Wii sensor bar, or make your own, or use a pair of candles (I seriously did this for all of Skyward Sword, lol). It's just a pair of IR light sources. I'm guessing they haven't changed how it works since the Wii.

not really, if it's just IR. SS needed the motionplus, right? the extra gyroscope?

The same source said a while back that both Joy-Cons have Motion Plus like motion control built in.

Makes sense with Just Dance confirmed.

Imagine the reaction if Breath of the Wild used the Joy Cons to control like Skyward Sword! Ha

Neper

Neo Member
Well, this could be interesting for Wii BC via Virtual Console. But there is another possibility that has me thrilled: ever since I played Metroid Prime Trilogy on my Wii, I can't just go back to regular controls. Those games were born to be controlled with a Wiimote, it just feels so natural to aim Samus' cannon with your very hands.

So, if we ever get a new Metroid Prime, I'd say this would allow Retro to keep that control scheme, and that would make me very, very happy.

I cannot go back to dual analog after playing Metroid Prime with the Wii remote nunchuck combo. I needy IR so I am extremely happy to hear this might be a possibility

I hear you, man.

Chorazin

I really hope the Switch will have pointer functionality since that's awesome for many tasks and games, but if they cram an IR sensor into the joycons, the battery life will drop into a bottomless hole. The IR sensor (not -bar!) basically is a lowres camera, and the joycon will either have to crunch it's output itself, or transmit a considerable amount of image data via wireless to the main unit to have it processed there.

Both ways eat battery power, and with the tiny size, the battery will already be the weakest part of the joycon.

So, uh, hoping for the best here, but expecting the worst.

Why would they put an IR sensor into the Joycons? It would serve zero purpose. An IR blaster like on Wiimotes would add very little to the battery drain.

Top Bottom