• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawbreakers dev: PC/console cross-platform play is “dumb”

Joyful

considering the pace and mechanics in lawbreakers Im surprised its coming to console at all (im guessing that reason is money)
the skill gap in the game is already high, pc vs console would be a slaughter
so in summation

RwTvaDr.gif

Man gaf just loves to hate on cliffy. We all know his actual position on it. It sucks that one tweet is all it'll take for a bunch of people to hate on him without thinking about how his statement is fully true. It's a dumb move to make it crossplay. It just doesn't work with fps games. You either have to artificially neuter the feel of the mouse or give the controller players way more assists(halo 2 vista players will know how horrible that was). They clearly won't give console players a stupid advantage like that to balance it.

Ps4 players using a standard controller or ! shit chronusmax mouse/keyboard adapter will get destroyed the majority of the time by any mediocre pc fps player. That and we all expect the pc version to support much better response times as well.

Edit:happy to see most gaffers in this thread have some common sense. Arstechnia can keep posting these click bait articles

Couldn't it work if you had match making? And then just throw in independent divisions at the top of the competitive ladder for each platform? Then regardless of whether you get your advantage through skill or platform, you're facing up against a suitable opponent.

Ploid 3.0

Couldn't it work if you had match making? And then just throw in independent divisions at the top of the competitive ladder for each platform? Then regardless of whether you get your advantage through skill or platform, you're facing up against a suitable opponent.

He did it with Unreal 3. You could choose to play with PC people or only stick to PS3 players. Paragon doesn't have that option, but only console players can see who's a PC or PS3 gamer. PC players can't tell, I guess so they can't use that info to their advantage in the draft and during gameplay. "Target the PS4 ranged character! He will likely miss you if you juke a lot." Though this could work against PC users if the PS4 player is using a mouse/kb.

Head.spawn

Jesus christ. Trust me, you don't want to play this game with a PC player versus your controller. This game is Unreal Tournament 2k4 on meth.

Think it's disingenuous to compare Gear's crossplay to a first-person shooter that requires a lot more precision. His response makes sense imo.

Kayant

He's not wrong having played Lawbreakers but as it's been said there could be playlist by controller input to fix this although I guess the problem with that is even further segmentation of playlist.

Swarna

Or just matchmake people by control choice instead of by platform. It shouldn't be that hard to disable mouse and keyboard controls in the server settings.

If mouse is considered cheating against gamepad, then why not a gamepad vs gamepad cross plat mode?

This is fine if you can protect against client-side exploits to make sure KB+M users can't trick the game into thinking they're using controllers. BLOPS3 and Titanfall had this issue and people were able to get aim assist working while using a mouse.

But really, seems like it's too much of a resource cost (cross-play+multiple matchmaking queues) just to serve an extremely small base of controller-using PC players.

Zia

I didn't even realize that this was releasing for console. Not promising for a spiritual successor to UT.

Hyun Sai

9 times out of 10 is quite generous. He is absolutely right. People wanting this just want to bully the poor pad players. With fast paced FPS, the difference between pad and K/M is much bigger than the distance between earth and the sun.

K.Sabot

He's right and it's totally dumb, but if you guys who think cross-play in every situation is the only right answer, I'd be happy to shit all over console players.

Zomba13

So I assume the PC version has no controller support right? Because it'd be stupid if it does given this reasoning.

The best thing would be to let players on consoles use m+kb and just match pads with pads and m+kb with m+kb across all platforms. Then everyone is happy and everyone can play together if they like.

Orayn

There are some reasons it could be undesirable for a particular game or mode. I think Lawbreakers is a decent example of a game where it would be detrimental to implement, being a case where the different versions of the game will probably need to be balanced separately due to differences in the most popular input method.

The best thing would be to let players on consoles use m+kb and just match pads with pads and m+kb with m+kb across all platforms. Then everyone is happy and everyone can play together if they like.
This sounds like a large amount of work that will benefit a very small minority of players while opening up (or at the very least making more accessible) a brand new avenue of cheating.

KB&M players are responsible for some of my biggest frustrations in Overwatch on PS4. It's just not fun getting slammed by a Widow/Soldier with pinpoint aim repeatedly.

So yeah, I'm against cross-play and if there was a way to completely disable KB&M use I'd be all for that too.

RM8

For SFV specifically, it's caused some problems with the netcode. It's at it's worst when crossplay occurs.

Which is probably why MVC:I doesn't have it.
Not a cross play issue, look at Killer Instinct. So it's actually a life saver for the game since the install base on both platforms is way smaller than expected.

Atomski

KB&M players are responsible for some of my biggest frustrations in Overwatch on PS4. It's just not fun getting slammed by a Widow/Soldier with pinpoint aim repeatedly.

So yeah, I'm against cross-play and if there was a way to completely disable KB&M use I'd be all for that too.
If you can't beat them join them..

Or don't and just complain

Is... there a CliffyB meme/injoke I'm missing?

Lot of people on gaf hate him.. He's a developer with opinions and says them a lot. Which typically never goes well with many gamers.

Rembrandt

Banned
Jesus christ. Trust me, you don't want to play this game versus a PC player with a controller. This game is Unreal Tournament 2k4 on meth.

Should be obvious. He's not saying anything wrong. It seems insanely hard to balance a FPS for cross play with PC, even more so if the game is twitchy and just playing with a mouse is an advantage.

It's funny because in the thread about it coming to PS4, I was happy to see Cliff and the game get some love because both usually catch flak.

The gameplay videos for this game look dope. gonna give it a try when it releases.

Is... there a CliffyB meme/injoke I'm missing?

GAF made threads off his tweets because he tweets a lot, I think he got annoyed and talked bad about GAF and how devs either don't like the site or laugh at the posts, and people here got upset.

Then more "insiders" started avoiding this place. Then you had the Rime dev talk bad about the site. Etc.

The one time I've seen an overwhelmingly positive thread about the game was when people were using in console war shit and once that thread died, most posts went right back to hating him/the game.

So I'm sure his opinion of this site didn't change. Especially after some of these comments attacking him and the game like he said something wrong. It's embarrassing.

LCGeek

formerly sane
This is fine if you can protect against client-side exploits to make sure KB+M users can't trick the game into thinking they're using controllers. BLOPS3 and Titanfall had this issue and people were able to get aim assist working while using a mouse.T

But really, seems like it's too much of a resource cost (cross-play+multiple matchmaking queues) just to serve an extremely small base of controller-using PC players.

Spoofing, cloning, or hijacking isn't tricking hence why such protection is useless against devices.

The reason the aim assists works is because they are emulating a pad.

IHaveIce

Banned
Your game is dumb, buddy :)
Quality post; how is shit like this the norm nowadays on gaming side?

On topic: anybody that has played Lawvreakers or has seen ganeplay should agree that crossplay would make no sense, the game is way too fast for a controller player to challenge a m+kb player.

Reallink

Or just matchmake people by control choice instead of by platform. It shouldn't be that hard to disable mouse and keyboard controls in the server settings.

PC players would just hack their way around checks or spoof a controller and slaughter everyone for the lulz.

Rembrandt

Banned
whats dumb is no m/kb support in modern consoles. just why?

I was gonna say because it's super niche, but it should be built it as an option systemwide regardless. I never played UT3 with it on PS3 and idk if I played with anybody that did use it, but it was still cool. That plus mods.

Its 2017. Open up.

Squire

Banned
Lmaooo, I can imagine him being bewildered at the sudden change in reception here. Back to the usual, I guess.

I can't speak to any sea change on GAF, but I personally always found the whole idea to be laughable and Cliff to be obnoxious, so this is just the par for the course, really.

I was gonna say because it's super niche, but it should be built it as an option systemwide regardless. I never played UT3 with it on PS3 and idk if I played with anybody that did use it, but it was still cool. That plus mods.

Its 2017. Open up.

The only reason it's 'niche' is because Sony and MS decided not to support it out of the box. PC games have suffered as a result. No matter how much a developer wants to tell you that A and B game was developed for PC first, control mapping for game pads are still in their mind when developing said game, save for a few.

KonradLaw

He's right. Balancing the game in such way that PS4 users would be able to not get wiped out would make PC version utter crap.
Some people say they might have added mouse/KB support for PS4, but this means you would have two completely differtent versions of the game on PS4 to support with patches and balance tweaks. It just doesn't seem worth the effort for the few who would play it in such set up.

LordofPwn

The big thing is in order for a game to get published on PS4 I'm fairly certain it has to support the Dualshock 4, but you could build in a setting that shuts off aim assist when it detects a keyboard. PS4 supports KB+M on the OS level and there's a few games that offer it as an option. I'll also add that cross platform play requires simultaneously updating each platform. It's not super easy for a small team to do. O and buying a keyboard and mouse is cheaper than buying a PC capable of playing the game when you have a perfectly capable PS4.

Top Bottom