• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs at Suckerpunch confirmed, includes staff from Sly Cooper era (maybe 20-40%)

Best of luck to all those affected at SuckerPunch, It is one hell of a studio, I hope the studio remains strong.
You all suck for instantly thinking that!

Educated guess from my Facebook and Twitter:
Around 30% to 40% of the staff were laid off.
Majority of these are full time exempt employees (salary positions).
Some have been at Sucker Punch over 10 years.
All areas effected including design, programming, art, marketing, production, and test.

My heart goes out to all those effected.
40% is a huge number, I wonder why that would happen, as far as I know SuckerPunch has been doing fairly good, if Sony was to restructure it or something, it won't go as far as 40% of the studio.

But as you said, I think we will see how things end up like with their next game, and of course they will hire some new people.

I'm sad for people that need jobs, but please don't turn this into another what's going on with Sony thread...

we know what's going on, they are SLIMMING down.

Again, I'm not being cruel, but with ND, there was like a microscope on the studio's ins and outs, every time someone left there's 2-3 new threads a day of everyone fishing tweets and quotes.

It not only seems to be an invasion of privacy but just trivial for the type of industry this is. I'm sure these developers who have talent will find work. And get well compensated for it. These devs make over 100k sometimes and find new work in as little as a month. Again, not being a douche here, just find it a bit ignorant when I see how saddened people are at layoff news, there are very very worse things happening globally right now.

I do hope everyone lands on there feet though.

ViviOggi

I'm sad for people that need jobs, but please don't turn this into another what's going on with Sony thread...

we know what's going on, they are SLIMMING down.

Again, I'm not being cruel, but with ND, there was like a microscope on the studio's ins and outs, every time someone left there's 2-3 new threads a day of everyone fishing tweets and quotes.

It not only seems to be an invasion of privacy but just trivial for the type of industry this is. I'm sure these developers who have talent will find work. And get well compensated for it. These devs make over 100k sometimes and find new work in as little as a month. Again, not being a douche here, just find it a bit ignorant when I see how saddened people are at layoff news, there are very very worse things happening globally right now.

This is a board about videogames though

Why not cut some studios that do nothing interesting for years instead?

Because Sucker Punch just entered that stage?

Nate Fox will unquestionably dissappear from public eye for more then a year after this, because FL is shipping and their next game is 2016 earliest, and 2017 if new IP.

Ovek

7Member7

tumblr_mi1n1cm5a51rqfhi2o1_500.gif

In all seriousness they are most likely regrouping for a new ip that is currently prototyping, you really don't needs to be paying a full team to do that.

If this is "normal" then it shouldn't be, Second Son was a successful game. Publishers need to get their shit together. I hate reading stories like this.

Tobor

Seriously Sony, SERIOUSLY!?

Keep the talented team members at the studio, Jesus. I get the need for reductions in some studios to reduce costs, but not at your primary studios.

Seriously worrying, they should never touch Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, San Diego Studio and they should never have touched Studio Liverpool:(

How can you possibly feel qualified to make a statement regarding the level of talent let go?

We're fans, not HR representatives.

Why would they lay off devs who helped get Sucher Punch where they're at?

Various reasons can be thought up.

Too expensive.
The newcomers have more pedigree or are better suited for their future projects.
Redundancies. At a certain level, it will impact long time staff as well.
Game bombed hard and there's no choice.
Sony being a jerk.

Bundy

Banned
It has to have exceeded a million sales worldwide, surely. Considering where it was in the charts and for how long, it has to have surpassed it. And that would include digital sales.
Already mentioned in this thread.
Second Son sales were already over 1 million after only 9 days.
Should be well over 2 millions already (today).
Sales are good.

Opiate

It's sold close to 700K in the US alone, not counting digital sales...which is the series best by far.

I don't think this really has anything to do with performance, as the game has done better than any title in Sucker Punch's history, more than likely.

Could just be some staff redundancies being removed after wrapping up projects and moving on to the next.

Well, you do have to consider the ever increasing production cost ramp. If (as a simple example) Infamous 2 sold 500k units and cost 15M to make, while Infamous:SS sold 700k units and cost 25M to make, that higher sales total may not be high enough to justify the increase in production costs. They wouldn't be the first studio to suffer from this phenomenon, where sales are fine by historical standards, but insufficient because of the relentless cost ramp.

That's a possibility, but I think it's more likely we're just looking at redundancies. Ultimately I agree with you, I just wanted to point out that there is a pretty common way (At least in the AAA industry) for a company to have their best selling game ever also make far less money than their previous titles.

They already reduced several studios.

True, but it sucks to see competent studios like SuckerPunch lose employees when they seem to always be doing their work right. Don't think Second Son hit any major delays and it seems like the DLC is on target too.
Then you look at something like Evolution Studios that cost Sony an extra year of development costs on a game like Driveclub that is still unproven. Also The Last Guardian, no one wants that game to get cancelled, myself included. But if it meant a saving a studio like Sucker Punch from losing 40% of their staff then enough with it already. I would rather give credit to a studio that can actually make deadlines and produce great content in that time frame.

Now if it turns out that the 40% number was inflated and that these lay offs are just due to Second Son and it's DLC being finished than I understand that, but so far it doesn't really seem that way.

Kill3r7

Sucks for the people who lost their jobs but this has become the norm for most industries today. There is always some downsizing that occurs between large projects. Companies try to keep their overhead/payroll down, knowing full well that there is a dearth of talented people on the market eager to work when the next project ramps up.

Bundy

Banned
True, but it sucks to see competent studios like SuckerPunch lose employees when they seem to always be doing their work right. Don't think Second Son hit any major delays and it seems like the DLC is on target too.
Then you look at something like Evolution Studios that cost Sony an extra year of development costs on a game like Driveclub that is still unproven. Also The Last Guardian, no one wants that game to get cancelled, myself included. But if it meant a saving a studio like Sucker Punch from losing 40% of their staff then enough with it already. I would rather give credit to a studio that can actually make deadlines and produce great content in that time frame.
SCE Japan Studio already had a "reboot" with a new studio boss for that very reason over 2 years ago.
See here
Allan Becker is the boss there now.
Before he took control, SCE Japan Studio was a mess.
They had over 40 (!) projects going at the same time. Just imagine that!
Employees did what the fuck they wanted there.
See Ueda and his "hm.... let's see.... hm .... I like that, hmm.... let's change everything again....hm... do this, do that..... hm... let's scrap everything again" attitude.
So Allan Becker has a time table now for every project. Which makes sense, if you have a brain, common sense and you're running a business/company.
Ueda realized he has lost his "paid vacation" job and left for that very reason.
(now a freelancer)

Long story short:
SCE rebooted the japanese studios first (see SCE Japan).
Then, they did the same with some european studios (Cambridge, London Studio)
And in the end, some american studios had to change (see Sony Santa Monica Studio).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Eh, it sucks. But trimming fat is important to the health of a company. We'd like to think that all devs give 100% of their efforts to the job, but the reality is that there will always be those who under perform or slack off. Not saying this is what's going on with Suckerpunch, but that's the nature of running a successful business.

Almost 40% of your workforce is a bit more than trimming the fat...

Hellshy.

"Layoffs" sounds to me like it wasn't really planned. Or at least that the staff didn't see it coming.

What other term would you use if they saw it coming? Layoffs are always planned regardless if it was something in the works for awhile or bc of more recent events.

jonnyp

You all suck for instantly thinking that!

Educated guess from my Facebook and Twitter:
Around 30% to 40% of the staff were laid off.
Majority of these are full time exempt employees (salary positions).
Some have been at Sucker Punch over 10 years.
All areas effected including design, programming, art, marketing, production, and test.

My heart goes out to all those effected.

How is this even possible? Second Son was great and it sold well, I love SP's games.

Sad for all involved, and a giant loss for Sony. The videogame industry is run by idiots.

Well, you do have to consider the ever increasing production cost ramp. If (as a simple example) Infamous 2 sold 500k units and cost 15M to make, while Infamous:SS sold 700k units and cost 25M to make, that higher sales total may not be high enough to justify the increase in production costs. They wouldn't be the first studio to suffer from this phenomenon, where sales are fine by historical standards, but insufficient because of the relentless cost ramp.

That's a possibility, but I think it's more likely we're just looking at redundancies. Ultimately I agree with you, I just wanted to point out that there is a pretty common way (At least in the AAA industry) for a company to have their best selling game ever also make far less money than their previous titles.

Tag quote opportunity if ever I saw one.

iceatcs

Is it true or common sense that Infamous SS cost 25m to made? Damn it is extremely expensive with only 80 people in the studio. That about 300,000 per person for 3 years project.

Famassu

To me this sounds like inFamous Second Son, while the best selling launch for the franchise, didn't sell quite well enough to compensate for the bigger team size, costlier development on PS4 and what is thus a bigger budget for Second Son in comparison to the PS3 games, so now Sucker Punch can't afford to keep all the people employed while they transition through the early stages of their next game's development and aren't in hyper-content-making-mode yet. They'll probably expand again once their next project is far enough in development, Second Son simply wasn't the kind of multimillion seller that would warrant to keep the kind of workforce at Sucker Punch that they had before.

Is it true or common sense? infamous SS cost 25m to made? Damn it is extremely expensive with only 80 people in the studio. That about 300,000 per person for 3 years project.

Only an example, companies rarely reveal development costs. And it certainly sold more than 750k, so no worries there.

iceatcs

Only an example, companies rarely reveal development costs. And it certainly sold more than 750k, so no worries there.

yeah but NOT a very good example to assume it cost.

So bad assume I ever seen. What's the truthfully community! joking.

IcyEyes

Happens and it's normal. I can understand why some people are surprised, but bear in mind that the "world of creativity" is pretty different from a stable job in a factory or office or anything else. Creative people jump from a studio to another and most of them have an awesome portfolio (and most of them are happy to work for different studios!)

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I have to wonder how much of this is because of budget mandates. And if staff is just the most effective way of keeping cost down? Or is it streamlining? Who knows? But, it does seem like SCE is taking the a different route from previous years. All in all, I wouldn't worry about Sucker Punch. They're still at a decent size and all that.
Wow, that doesn't bode well at all for the studio. To lose a massive chunk, nearly HALF their workforce, is going to cripple plans for any projects on the scale of Infamous Second Son.
The fact they cut so deep at entrenched salary staff won't be putting the rest of the veterans at ease either, would expect more than a few to jump ship expecting to get cut in later rounds of layoffs in years to come.
Could very well see Suckerpunch taking on much smaller scope games, maybe DD only.
1. 30%-40% = ~50%? Stop that.
2. If they have other jobs lined up sure.
3. They just returned to the same size they were before they started iF:SS! The same size they were when they completed iF2?

Sony should just acquire them and get this done.
What?

Maybe they are just going to outsource large parts of their game development for now on?
They already had another development studio work on Sly 4 while Sucker Punch worked on Second Son. I don't know why they needed Sly 4 out when they did but, yeah.

I don't know I guess Sly 4 did okay enough/Infamous Second Son did well enough that they didn't need people who were originally there for the original sly games anymore? I am not sure.

I dont know if 2-3MM WW will sustain a Triple A developer in this age.
Depends on how you are managed I guess. Ninja Theory and Quantic Dream have 110/140 employees respectively and their games sell around the same ballpark as Infamous or less in NT case.

beril

Depends on how you are managed I guess. Ninja Theory and Quantic Dream have 110/140 employees respectively and their games sell around the same ballpark as Infamous or less in NT case.

Ninja Theory has never worked with the same publisher twice so who knows how happy people really were with the profitability of their games

Curufinwe

Nate Fox will unquestionably dissappear from public eye for more then a year after this, because FL is shipping and their next game is 2016 earliest, and 2017 if new IP.

I feel like these layoffs are the consequence of them being a one game at a time studio, and there probably just isn't enough work to go around for a full studio in the first year or so of preproduction.

beril

I feel like these layoffs are the consequence of them being a one game at a time studio, and there probably just isn't enough work to go around for a full studio in the first year or so of preproduction.

That really ought to be avoidable when you're owned by a big publisher like Sony. But of course they've had significant layoffs at several of their studios recently so there are most likely other factors at work.

mclem

And get well compensated for it. These devs make over 100k sometimes and find new work in as little as a month.

I've been through a layoff at a games studio. This statement is in no way representative of what my status was/is after the changeover. I'm actually better off now, fortunately (no longer in games!), but I recently bumped into someone who was laid off at the same time, and they *really* weren't doing too well.

element

They already had another development studio work on Sly 4 while Sucker Punch worked on Second Son. I don't know why they needed Sly 4 out when they did but, yeah.
Sucker Punch had almost nothing to do with Sly 4. That wasn't outsourced, it was just flat out done by another studio.

jcm

In my experience, game developers in general make less than software developers outside of gaming, and work much longer hours as well. Their working conditions really tend to suck. I was a CS major, and several of the people I went to school with took jobs in the game industry right out of college, but I don't think any of them are still doing it. It's a tough life.

And that whole "very very worse things happening globally right now" is a load of crap. You can use that line on literally anything. "You shouldn't be sad your wife died, there's worse things happening globally". So what? Getting laid off sucks, period.

conman

The layoffs were likely planned well in advance, independent of the game's sales.
...which doesn't mean that the layoffs wouldn't have happened if the game had done better.

But really, this is just continuing a trend that has been happening throughout the industry for the past five or more years. Not even studios with the direct backing of a platform holder can survive long without a massive hit. The "middle-scale" industry is in its last gasps. Consolidation into large, multi-national, multi-studio design now dominates the AAA market. Everyone else has been forced to go small scale or close entirely (and even the small-scale studios are feeling the crunch by the ongoing "race to the bottom"). Curious what the future holds now for Sucker Punch and those let go. They're incredibly talented and have continued to do awesome work in an incredibly volatile time for second-tier studios.

PAr for the course in this industry. Bungie will (if it has not yet done so) let go hundreds of contractors in all disciplines as soon as Destiny ships or soon after. Even for Activision, maintaining a 500 person studio is ridiculous if they are only going to focus on expansions and DLC for the next 3-4 years.

Top Bottom