• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked By Marvel, Amaterasu and Thor are in MvC3

Frank is a no-brainer, like most of the Capcom roster from TvC. The games will be similar, so their movesets are already done meaning less work.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
_dementia said:
Frank is a no-brainer, like most of the Capcom roster from TvC. The games will be similar, so their movesets are already done meaning less work.

Yeah. Also Capcom want to put Frank West in many games as they want because he is that popular in western.

I am fine with Roll from TvC but I don't want Volnutt.

GreekWolf

Mmm... I dunno. Love Thor the character, but his inclusion in a fighting game seems a bit silly.

Even without Mjöllnir, he's as strong as Superman. Who in the hell stands a chance, unless you completely scrap canon. Might as well have Thanos in there. :lol

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
GreekWolf said:
Mmm... I dunno. Love Thor the character, but his inclusion in a fighting game seems a bit silly.

Even without Mjöllnir, he's as strong as Superman. Who in the hell stands a chance, unless you completely scrap canon. Might as well have Thanos in there. :lol
Something something Hulk vs. a Servbot.

Not really a series prided on its realistic 'who would win in a fight?' forecasting.

Forkball

A lot of people were clamoring for Amaterasu in TvC, so it's not surprising that she'd pop up in MvC3. I wonder which Mega Man will be in the game, though.

the Capcom side seriously lacks variety

the Okami dog is a good welcomed character to add to variety but the rest of teh cast meh

2 Street Fighters
2 Darkstlakers
2 Zombie games characters
2 DMC charactes

get pretty meh

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
gutter_trash said:
the Capcom side seriously lacks variety

the Okami dog is a good welcomed character to add to variety but the rest of teh cast meh

2 Street Fighters
2 Darkstlakers
2 Zombie games characters
2 DMC charactes

get pretty meh
Those numbers would be fine if the characters from them were less bog-standard picks. Darkstalkers has 18 characters to choose from but Capcom keeps parading out the same two. Street Fighter has more than double, and ditto that.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm curious. I am watching stream of mvc3 battles and I saw someone mention that they confirmed that mvc3 will have more characters than SSF4 characters, so did anyone hear that too?

shaowebb

explodet said:
88752e6a818b1b76f75c2ca93d3a5bbf.jpg

17cd3989f8f24a1f828b8130aa49d2c6.jpg

foamy.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
_dementia said:

Not really. They still have to animate the character and balance them. Thats the time consuming part.

HK-47 said:
Not really. They still have to animate the character and balance them. Thats the time consuming part.
I said "less work" not "no work"
the whole "inventing a moveset from scratch and making it work for the game" part is done

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
FreedomFrisbee said:
Well, its interesting to note that they're going 2 characters per IP max. Or it seems like it.

Those are just for the big IPs with lots of characters, plus that possible Darkstalker sequel people think is coming

FreedomFrisbee said:
Well, its interesting to note that they're going 2 characters per IP max. Or it seems like it.

I'd put money down on there being at least 1 more Street Fighter character. TvC had 22/26 characters, and even that had 3 SF characters, 2 of which have been straight-up nicked for this game. I bet we'll either have a different SF character (like Bison, or an SFIV character like Juri or Abel), or they'll just throw Alex in from TvC.

But yeah, for the rest of the (Capcom) IPs, I'd bet on 2 max.

GreekWolf said:

Canon has Thor weaker than Hulk in almost every appearance.

And Thanos has been both a boss and a playable character in the vs series.

MoxManiac

GreekWolf said:

We're talking about a series where Cammy can throw Juggernaut around with her thighs. shit's fine.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/...with_marvel_vs._capcom_3s_writer,_frank_tieri

The incredible talented comic book writer Frank Tieri (Wolverine, Civil War: War Crimes, World War Hulk: Gamma Corps) has been announced as the writer for Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, which makes me very happy as a huge comic book fan! I had the opportunity to geek out with him as he answered my questions about writing Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, so check out the interview after the break! You'll find out about his favorite Capcom franchises and who he thinks would win in an MVC3 against Marvel's Agent M.

First off, thanks very much for taking the time to answer these questions. Let's start off with a a little background for people that may not be familiar with your work. Can you give us a little background as to the comic book titles that you’ve worked on before MVC3?

I’ve been pretty fortunate in my career to have written for a lot of the industry’s top companies and franchises—everyone from Batman for DC to the Darkness for Top Cow. That being said, Marvel is probably the place people know me best from, most notably WOLVERINE, whose main title I wrote for almost 3 years. In fact, over the years I’d say I’ve written almost all the characters involved with this game in one way or another—Iron Man, Deadpool in their titles, others in big company-wide events like Civil War and World War Hulk, etc—so you can say I’m on very familiar ground here.

How did you get involved in the project?

I met TQ (Marvel’s Director of games, TQ Jefferson) at the NY Comic Con a while back. We hit it off and I pitched him some games, which it seemed he liked and then… nothing. Not a word. So I figured that was that. Then one day about a year later TQ contacts me on Facebook and tells me he might have something for me. (So yes, folks, you can blame Facebook for all this. It truly is the devil’s plaything). He didn’t have to ask me twice when he told me what it was. In fact, I think he only got as far as Marvel Vs Ca… before I said I’d take it.

Which of the characters from MVC3 do you enjoy writing about the most? Why?

For Marvel it’s Wolverine and Deadpool, without a doubt. Wolverine because he’s maybe my all time favorite character and he’ll always has a special place in my heart because he’s really the character that launched my career (plus I can probably write his dialogue in my sleep). And Deadpool because he’s just so damned fun to write for—I really think he’s going to be the game’s breakout character.

As for Capcom, I’ve always been partial to the Resident Evil and Street Fighter franchises so it’s probably those characters, especially the villains. They’re just such evil sons of bitches I had a ball writing for them.

Is it challenging to write for a video game? What are some of the differences
that you need to consider?

What I’d say is it’s not any more challenging than writing for comics, just different. It’s different muscles, different things to consider. But I think I had a distinct advantage over another comic book writer coming into a project like this because I’m a gamer. I know what the medium looks like, I know what I expect from a video game, I know what other gamers expect. And I think that’s really, really important.

Maybe this question is related: obviously you have plenty of experience writing with Marvel characters, but how do you find a voice for Capcom characters?

Let me just say this… it was VERY important to me to make sure I got the voices right for the Capcom characters. I mean, the game is Marvel Vs Capcom, not Marvel Vs Marvel—I needed to do justice to both companies’ characters and their respective fan bases. Now, I’ll admit, it was much easier with franchises I was familiar with like Resident Evil and Street Fighter. For some of the others? Hey, I had to do some homework. Whether that meant doing some research online or actually playing video games Capcom had sent me.

That was my favorite part… actually playing video games for work. So when my wife would come over and complain that all I was doing was jerking around playing video games and wasn’t doing any work I could go “Aha! But I AM doing work, vile woman!” That was awesome. (It’s all true except the vile woman part. I sort of added that to sound cool).

Haha. Awesome. What’s next (that you can talk about) on your list of writing projects for Marvel?

Well, DEADPOOL TEAM UP #891 comes out on July 28 so fans can see me revisit my favorite Merc with a Mouth as he takes on one of my old creations from my WOLVERINE days, Mr. X.

As far as some of my other comic book projects, it’s too early to talk about a lot of this stuff. There’s another Wolverine thing (there usually is), a Punisher thing, an Iron man thing, but that’s really all I can say about all that right now. A lot of it’s set to be announced at New York Comic Con.

Plus there’s a thing that’ll be huge that’s comic book related but not comic books. People might not understand what the hell am I talking about right now, but they’ll see what I mean when it’s announced. Fans are really going to dig it.

Sounds cool! Have you played any other Capcom fighting games before? What has your experience been like? Do you have a favorite?

Marvel Superheroes. On the old school Playstation. Not only is it my all time favorite fighting game, it may be my all time favorite game PERIOD. We used to play that game in my house for days at a time, have tournaments and everything. Serious business. Lot of trash talking, lots of hurt thumbs. Some hard feelings. Some people never spoke to each other again. Friendships were irrevocably changed forevermore.

And I loved every minute of it.

Were you any good?

I was damned good. I was either Wolverine or Iron Man, depending on my opponent. And I was a big time smack talker. A lot of those people never speaking to each other again is because of me.

Oh well…

You or Agent M. Who would win in an MVC3 match?

Agent M? Seriously? You insult me by insinuating he can beat me in ANYTHING. I might have to end this interview right here…

No no, wait...what about...you or Seth Killian (s-kill)?

He’s a ringer, right? You’re looking to embarrass me, right? Ask me if I’m any good at fighting games is just setting me up for the kill. Or… OR…

And this is even better. You build him up and then I beat him. And then you have me play the game at some Con or something and I get my ass handed to me by an 8 year old Japanese girl in front of a crowd of thousands.

So, no, I’m not falling for it. I’m on to you, pal.

OK, fine! Let's just move on then. What’s your favorite non-fighting Capcom game and/or franchise and why?

Resident Evil. Bar none. Also an all time fav. If I remember correctly, seeing that game for the first time actually made me go out and buy a Playstation in the first place. (I was still in mourning over the loss of my beloved Sega Genesis at that point. I think I wore black for a year)

You have to understand, when the original came out, there was nothing really like it before. In fact, me and my friends first approached it as a team—one guy worked the controller, another did the map, another did the walk through. That could also be because none of us wanted to play it alone. Especially at NIGHT.

Ah, good times, good times…

A true Capcom fan, ladies and gentlemen! Finally, is there anything you want to say to all the MVC3 fans on Capcom Unity?

Any teases or hints?

There’s two things that really stand out for me with this game. The first is the roster. I mean, I was floored by who was included in this, on both sides. I was literally at times “Whoa… they put THAT guy in there?!”. And that’s not even talking about the end boss… man, that’s really going to be a treat.

The second is the pure speed of the thing-- it’s so friggin’ fast! There’s characters that are jumping in and out and doing moves with such speed, they don’t even have time to finish the lines I wrote for ‘em at times! I’m telling you, fans are going to LOVE playing this game.

He made me think that Bison and Wesker will be in.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Shig said:
What the fuck does a Vs. game need a writer for?

I'll do it for half what he's charging. "Some Capcom and or Marvel bad guy opens up a rift that unites both worlds, he/she/it becomes some huge multiscreen monstrosity as the final boss, you beat them and some credits roll. The End."

:lol

I know they stats that they want to have a story plot for single player, so I guess we should looking forward for great one?

dankir

Shig said:
What the fuck does a Vs. game need a writer for?

I'll do it for half what he's charging. "Some Capcom and or Marvel bad guy opens up a rift that unites both worlds, he/she/it becomes some huge multiscreen monstrosity as the final boss, you beat them and some credits roll. The End."

Well apparently they want to give this game a geniune story and make it have a real comic book feel.

The story you listed would work fantastic, but the more the merrier right?

GatorBait

I hate Felicia so much. I have only ever played against one person who picked her. Why is she always one of the Darkstalkers reps in the Vs. games?!

Green Scar said:
That guy basically just confirmed Wesker and Bison/Akuma for MvC3.
How so? I read over the article quickly and I didn't see anything in there, but maybe I missed it?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
IntelliHeath said:
:lol

I know they stats that they want to have a story plot for single player, so I guess we should looking forward for great one?

Not necessarily.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GatorBait said:
I hate Felicia so much. I have only ever played against one person who picked her. Why is she always one of the Darkstalkers reps in the Vs. games?!

Fanservice + cat girl = PROFIT!

LiK

GatorBait said:
One of the classics plus catgirl boobs sell. I wish they included Hsien-Ko instead

dankir

Pai Pai Master said:
He's also writing all the little blurbs characters say during combat. Deadpool's have been great so far.

I think the best is when Deadpool wins a match and comes up the screen and starts talking shit directly to the player.

Now that's awesome.

Dizzle24

_dementia said:
Nice that Clover is getting some representation, but I wish it was Gene instead.

This x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000.

I love me some Okami, but seriously? Gene would be better for this game. He'd be the Capcom version of Deadpool :lol

GatorBait

HK-47 said:
Fanservice + cat girl = PROFIT!
LiK said:
One of the classics plus catgirl boobs sell. I wish they included Hsien-Ko instead
But it seems like everyone wants another Darkstalkers character over her. Is she popular overseas or something? And, I am out of touch with the mindset of horny, teenage nerd gamers, but are cat girl boobs really going to be the deciding factor on whether someone buys the game or not?

LiK

GatorBait said:
But it seems like everyone wants another Darkstalkers character over her. Is she popular overseas or something? And, I am out of touch with the mindset of horny, teenage nerd gamers, but are cat girl boobs really going to be the deciding factor on whether someone buys the game or not?
There's tons of Felicia fanart and cosplayers so I assume she's popular.

GatorBait said:
How so? I read over the article quickly and I didn't see anything in there, but maybe I missed it?

He spoke about writing for Capcom villians. None of the Capcom roster are villians so far.

Nert

Ignis Fatuus said:
As cool as it would be to have Edgeworth in, what the fuck would he do? Point and shout OBJECTION all day?

Combo meter move could be a dramatic cut to him standing at a podium, slamming down his palms, yelling "OBJECTION" and having the word block of OBJECTION fall down on his opponent.

GatorBait

LiK said:
There's tons of Felicia fanart and cosplayers so I assume she's popular.
I guess...but maybe that's because it's hotter to draw and dress up as a catwoman with minimal clothing. I just hope they make her a useable character this time around since she isn't the most compelling choice from Darkstalkers.
Green Scar said:
He spoke about writing for Capcom villians. None of the Capcom roster are villians so far.
Nice catch. I totally glossed over that. Between that and the previous evidence, I think we can pretty much pencil in Wesker.

Top Bottom