• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 3: Change |OT| SCHEDULEBENDING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frog-fu

Banned
I just posted that because I thought it would be funny to use your own words towards you lol.

and your spoiler tag proves that what you said wasn't a joke anyway

I never said LoK was the better series, I just said it makes me feel more tension, weight, and suspense.

My bad brah.

I'm being passive aggressive and overbearing about my opinions. :)

Kangi

The thread in which we can prove opinions can be objectively wrong.

"Bolin > Toph and Aang" should be punishable by jail time.

Order

Mako over the entire TLA crew...

deandre-bruh-o.gif

360pages

Korra's team is balanced in the fact that everyone is useless except Korra. It fells like I'm watching Dragon Ball Z all over again considering the amount that Bolin and Mako contribute...(Absolutely nothing,)

Of course this is the inherit problem of having a chosen one story, if done poorly you lose the need of side characters and the main person does everything. Why have a team if they just sit back and do nothing.

Also, I wouldn't call ATLA a kiddie show. If we are comparing it to Korra though, i'd say it's more "kiddie." That doesn't make it worse or better by itself, I just think, like I said before, how themes are presented is what evokes emotion.

I think the characters are much better in ATLA, but I enjoy them in Korra too.

Frog-fu

Banned
Honestly, I hope Korra ends after season 4 and we get a new Avatar series.

Would go nuts for a series based on the life of Wan.

DedValve

Banned
Oh shit I stumbled onto an atla vs korra page.

Well at least Korra S3 is finally going in its groove and here's hoping that they keep the momentum up with S4.

I might literally just buy seasons 1,3,4 on blu-ray and call it a day.

360pages

I honestly don't want another story focused on another Avatar, I wouldn't mind something like Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw star, Black Lagoon or Guardians of the Galaxy, but set in the Avatar Verse. No Avatar's, no world ending things, just a group of characters going around and stupid and awesome shit happens to them.

It would be more episodic and would have more room to give every character to shine,

Frog-fu

Banned
One of my biggest problems with LOK is that the bending is so weak compared to the original. Shit looks pathetic to what the Gaang used to pull off back in the day.

i want to make a cartoon tbh

korra gaf lets make a new hit show

ok the lead is a black guy who has a sword who he can throw and come back to him and he shoots lightning dragons and eventually learns a technique that allows him to teleport wherever his sword is so he is op in his own way

360pages

Why do main Characters have to be OP

One of my Favorite Stories tsukihime the main Character is actually near the bottom of the Power Pole, even after his buff in Melty Blood. He's still pretty low compared to the others around.

Hell, his potential girlfriend is pretty much a God that can create a moon and crash it into the planet.

(Also the Tsukihime anime is garbage, if you are interested either read the Visual Novel or Read the Manga)

With all that said, the main character doesn't have to be the strongest of the cast.

Frog-fu

Banned
Open question to errbody, if we were getting a new Avatar series in a few season would you one

A) want them to jump further into time (male earthbender)
B) go back to an previous unnamed Avatar (could be anything)
C) go back all the way to the beginning and tell the story of Wan

Open question to errbody, if we were getting a new Avatar series in a few season would you one

A) want them to jump further into time (male earthbender)
B) go back to an previous unnamed Avatar (could be anything)
C) go back all the way to the beginning and tell the story of Wan

A by far. Tbh it'd be cool to see a full on sci fi version of Avatar. It could be a vast new project with a lot more new history to explore. Maybe by then there would be more than a handful of different bending types/subsets/styles.

Frog-fu

Banned
I'll help write.

A by far. Tbh it'd be cool to see a full on sci fi version of Avatar. It could be a vast new project with a lot more new history to explore. Maybe by then there would be more than a handful of different bending types/subsets/styles.

I wonder how far in time they would jump if they continue the timeline. Considering how long some characters can live in the Avatarverse (Kyoshi was 230!!), so assuming Korra isn't killed young, we might get space-age shit.

I'll help write.

I wonder how far in time they would jump if they continue the timeline. Considering how long some characters can live in the Avatarverse (Kyoshi was 230!!), so assuming Korra isn't killed young, we might get space-age shit.

Oh crap I didn't even know that. Do avatars age slower or something?

Frog-fu

Banned
Oh crap I didn't even know that. Do avatars age slower or something?

I don't think it's just Avatars that live long, but who knows? If Korra does live to be very old before she dies, then the technology level in the next series could be very easily off putting.

360pages

If one thing writing has told me is if you don't want to go full futuristic, then just make it 10-20 years in the future. It's far enough that any stupid bullshit you come up with wouldn't be too farfetched, but also soon enough that everyone won't be riding around in hover cars.

then you better do your homework..

All right, we're doing birds flying, characters running across a plain, characters staring into space, sparkly tears, and, lastly, female characters extending their hands towards male protagonists. Now all that's left is to add a bunch of really cool action scenes with characters who'll never fight each other in the actual show.

360pages

All right, we're doing birds flying, characters running across a plain, characters staring into space, sparkly tears, and, lastly, female characters extending their hands towards male protagonists. Now all that's left is to add a bunch of really cool action scenes with characters who'll never fight each other in the actual show.

You just described almost every Disgaea opening ever.

Trey

LoK has a more serious tone, but I don't believe that makes it darker, even when it tries to be. A:TLA really hammered home the realities of war and loss, and nothing LoK's done has reached that emotional depth, honestly.

Legend of Korra tries to be mature, but fails horrible at it,

LoK thinks it can be mature by dealing with "mature" topics. Politics! War profiteering! Civil unrest! The show believes it can be grown up by just wearing dad's pants, but it rarely does the legwork to really complement the themes it's trying to push.

AtLA was so successful because it built this fantastic world with a really interesting and understandable backdrop that drove the main plot at all times. Then the show built well realized characters within this context. And it had these characters play off one another effectively so that AtLA's themes of understanding, empathy, friendship and forgiveness could be pushed. They're not "mature" themes on the surface like what LoK wraps itself in, but they're qualities every mature person would appreciate, and are the soul of the entire show. Much care and respect is given to them.

For example, look to how this thread was begging for Korra and her gang to split up so that each character could be apart from each other. Their interactions were that toxic. The plot would struggle because everyone would be stupid and nothing could be built between them. Leaps of logic would happen all the time, and nobody learned. Contrast that to Aang and his friends: even when they would fight, there would be an impetus behind the argument which led to a resolution that makes sense within each respective character. And the plot was driven forward.

You hardly see that in the Legend of Korra. Mako in particular was a character leech for far too long before he became merely tolerable. Satch has a really good post detailing why he was so bad - if someone would be so kind to link it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom