• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legion |OT| Insert X-Men Meme - Wednesdays 10/9c on FX

So the big twist is that he will discover that they are all in his head or physical manifestations of his psyche and he will wake up in the end of the season?

wamberz1

Hell yeah, I'm in for this.
Surprised they didn't make a show set in the x-men universe sooner, it's perfect for having side-stories given the large mutant population.

- Variety review from Mo Ryan
“Legion,” a Marvel-inspired drama from “Fargo” creator Noah Hawley, is not timid. It offers a jittery take on many of the genre’s familiar themes, and it hurls them together with such boldness that the entire concoction ends up carrying quite a kick. Like I said, it won’t be for everyone, but those who are pulled into the surreal, jagged orbit of this distinctive drama are likely to stay there for the full eight-episode run. It is, literally and figuratively, a trip — and it’s often an exhilarating one.

Heard about this show a week ago. In for Hawley. The first two seasons of Fargo had no right to be as good as they were and it looks like he's doing it again with this comic book TV series.

Pachimari

Hell yeah, I'm in for this.
Surprised they didn't make a show set in the x-men universe sooner, it's perfect for having side-stories given the large mutant population.

Because Marvel had the TV rights, until they sat down to negotiate with them last year.

Kaizer

Banned
Been keeping an eye on this show for quite a while and the previews/commercials have been inescapable. Those glowing reviews combined with Noah Hawley being behind this have already made this a must-watch.

TheOddOne

A glowing review from Sepinwall
Thanks for posting.
The first episode is such a mind trip that later chapters risk seeming tame and conventional, but Legion continues to have many tricks up its bespoke sleeves. The either/or question about who and what David is proves more complicated than both sides expect, and if anything,
the later episodes (the third in particular) are even more disturbing as Melanie and friends dig deep into exactly what makes him tick, and how dangerous that might be to all of them

It’s a delight, existing so far outside the mold of recent superhero adaptations in the 2010s that it couldn’t see the mold even with telescopic vision. It’s a comic book show likely to be as appealing to people who have no interest in comic books as to those who can name David’s famous relative without Googling, if not more, and it’s easily the most exciting new series this young year in TV has offered so far.

Is this real? God, I hope so.

- Aubrey Plaza interview
- Collider review
Legion plays a lot with themes of identity and memory and emotion, and if the key to visual storytelling is to show and not tell, well, Legion grasps onto that wholeheartedly. But above all, it’s a deeply considered portrait of mental illness. Even if David’s schizophrenia is actually part of a mutant power, it’s also still literally angry voices in his head fighting to control him and his actions. Whatever you want to call it, it’s a problem for his daily life, and something he has struggled with since he was a young boy. The X-Men have always been a stand-in for outsiders, for people who feel persecuted or just different from the rest of the world. David’s journey is Legion is his own, but we’re connected to it, too. 5 out of 5 stars - excellent

Zousi

These reviews. I don't know if i can contain my excitement. I'm really hoping that this will breath some new life into the genre. Fargo is easily one of my favourite shows of the decade, so i have high hopes.

Someone from the comics ( very unexpected ) may be making an appearance in this show.

Go here

https://twitter.com/LegionFX/status/828015292932452352

Look at the video. Might see something familiar. But could be a coincidence in appearance. So don't get all disappointed if it turns out not true.

Spoilers images

http://i.imgur.com/9cu5KDL.png

http://i.imgur.com/zFZiGU0.png

MOJO

Never thought I'd see that character in live-action. But it kinda makes sense with Legion.
I bet it's some kind of hallucination or dream entity and not actually an interdimensional being.

caliph95

I wonder how crazy they are going to go with it like i want my well written dram and characters like a snob(ish) but part of me wants crazy mutant powers and characters maybe some aliens.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
zero chance that
Mojo is real, probably another hallucination.

Prove me wrong FX!

JTripper

I know very little about Legion but his premise always interested me. Will check out the show next week, especially after reading some of these reviews.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I can't wait for this.

Seriously, it's an amazing time to be a comic fan.* From movies to ABC, Netflix and The CW to now even cable television.

Ledbetter

Not really a follower of comics, but this show looks so disconnected from the whole Marvel Universe that it got me interested, apart from the fact that Aubrey Plaza is in it.

In Latin America it actually starts on Thursday on FX, if anyone is interested.

Who the hell is Jemaine Clement supposed to be playing?

Sebastian Shaw? Harry Leland?

Gotta be someone from the Hellfire Club, right?

I was thinking Trask again.

So the big twist is that he will discover that they are all in his head or physical manifestations of his psyche and he will wake up in the end of the season?

Of course.

Someone from the comics ( very unexpected ) may be making an appearance in this show.

Go here

https://twitter.com/LegionFX/status/828015292932452352

Look at the video. Might see something familiar. But could be a coincidence in appearance. So don't get all disappointed if it turns out not true.

Spoilers images

http://i.imgur.com/9cu5KDL.png

http://i.imgur.com/zFZiGU0.png

MOJO

Actually, I'd think given the protagonist and focus of this show that that's
The Shadow King (Link) in his original form.

TheOddOne

- A|V Club Review: Legion tells a human story without giving up its superpowers.
Once again, Hawley’s been allowed to let his imagination run wild, but Legion is more than a stunning visual and technical accomplishment. At the center of all this technique is a group of outsiders, and the people who want them to either fit neatly into a box, or otherwise exploit them. The mental illness isn’t just a ploy; it’s an ongoing concern that’s treated respectfully. But it does tie into philosophical quandaries, like the question of whether you are more in control or less imperiled if, as David possibly comes to find out, you’re not the problem.

The show also has one of the most affecting, unconventional love stories in the budding romance between David and Syd (Rachel Keller). And, of course, all this would mean nothing without a great supporting cast, which includes Jean Smart, Aubrey Plaza, Katie Aselton, and Bill Irwin. Legion is at dazzling and unusual show—full of extraordinary beings and events—but at its core are the same recognizable, human qualities that Hawley’s previously stretched to the limits.
- The New Yorker: The Absorbing Nightmare of “Legion”.
But, unlike some other recent flashily directed series about bad men—“Boardwalk Empire,” “True Detective,” “Vinyl”; I could go on—“Legion,” so far, doesn’t feel like empty virtuosity. Hawley finds contemporary ways to explore ancient, potentially hokey ideas, particularly the notion that sanity and madness are not that far apart. Three episodes in, it’s hard to say where the plot is going, other than down the rabbit hole of David’s worst thoughts. But “Legion” is a nightmare absorbing enough that you don’t feel the need to question the endgame. It’s likely to appeal to fans of Bryan Fuller’s greatly missed “Hannibal,” another show that was as much about ritual as about story, and that didn’t bother to explain everything along the way.

- Deadline review
Legion, starring Dan Stevens, is an artfully conceived and executed rule-breaking series that you must actually see to believe, as they say. Having first had an extended sneak peek at NY Comic-Con last fall, it is also a mind bending, creepily paranoia inducing and sometimes Clockwork Orange homage with a killer soundtrack that challenges not just the superhero genre but also the format of TV and reality itself.

Wow this is actually airing next day in UK on FOX UK just like Walking Dead, bless FOX UK.

Thursdays TV lineup is now fully stacked for me .

Legends
Arrow
Legion
Death in Paradise

... HELP.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Very intrigued by this show. I wonder if it's going to be on Hulu? Me and my wife mainly watch our TV shows on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I can definitely wait for this to hit those streaming services, as my backlog of TV is super fucking huge, and I'm trying to chip away at it.

Top Bottom