• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legion |OT| Insert X-Men Meme - Wednesdays 10/9c on FX

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Not only one of the best origin stories ever represented on film, but one of the best debut of a series, AND one of the best death scenes. Fuck, The Eyes death made my skin crawl. And to think he was being crushed in slow motion, which led to the 'lets see it in real time's payoff.

I know we still have one episode left but damn.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's interesting to me the occasional reviewers and commenters who are like yeah yeah MORE EXPOSITION LET'S MOVE IT ALONG FOLKS. I guess we really are all coming at this from different angles. To me, if this show put itself in the same lane as MCU/Netflix superhero stuff and completely exceeded the best of it, that would still be a massive disappointment given where it started from. Like to me the story stuff just needs to be a sufficient enough hook to hang the brilliant visual elements and performances; I don't actually want it taking over and suddenly we're talking about like a three-hour backstory on this one Infinity Gem with aliens or some shit.

It's interesting to me the occasional reviewers and commenters who are like yeah yeah MORE EXPOSITION LET'S MOVE IT ALONG FOLKS. I guess we really are all coming at this from different angles. To me, if this show put itself in the same lane as MCU/Netflix superhero stuff and completely exceeded the best of it, that would still be a massive disappointment given where it started from. Like to me the story stuff just needs to be a sufficient enough hook to hang the brilliant visual elements and performances; I don't actually want it taking over and suddenly we're talking about like a three-hour backstory on this one Infinity Gem with aliens or some shit.

I don't think you ever have to worry about the show going down that road. Just look at last night where there technically was a lot of exposition, but it was done in such a creative way. How Syd explained everything to Carry quickly before he said anything and the animated backstory with David and his rationale mind.

Decent enough episode. Eight episodes feels about right, so I'm ready for the finale next week.

Not just the best super hero show. One of the best TV shows ever period.

Lol at the hyperbole going on in this thread. Yes after decades of amazing television 7 episodes of a flashy style over substance comic book show is one of the best ever. Hell, it isn't even the best Noah Hawley show.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Decent enough episode. Eight episodes feels about right, so I'm ready for the finale next week.

Lol at the hyperbole going on in this thread. Yes after decades of amazing television 7 episodes of a flashy style over substance comic book show is one of the best ever. Hell, it isn't even the best Noah Hawley show.
Just depend what you're into I guess. :D It's definitely one of my favorite of the pat five years, but I'm not a TVphile or anything. Actually find most TV, even the more acclaimed stuff, pretty unwatchable. dsfdf

Man, what happened to The Eye was so fucked up. And it was more fucked up just because you really just didn't see it coming at all. Goddamn.

Cronen

That episode was fantastic. From the aspect ratio changes, the black and white sequence with the title cards, the chalk board animation. Fantastic.

I'm honestly surprised about how much I am enjoying this show.

So this references Professor X? Someone posted a screengrab of his chair on twitter and claimed it's from the show. I haven't seen the latest episode, just wondering how big his presence is.

caliph95

So this references Professor X? Someone posted a screengrab of his chair on twitter and claimed it's from the show. I haven't seen the latest episode, just wondering how big his presence is.
Without spoiling they elaborate on how the parasite infected David which his father obviously Xavier played a role in parasites current predicament.

These last two episodes have been next fucking level.

Glad to hear there's already a season 2 planned, couldn't handle next week being the end.

Coming from someone who hardly cares about comic books and much less comic adaptations in general, this series has been absolutely riveting.

Is there any other newcomer to TV doing better work than Noah Hawley? Fargo, Legion, and all the other upcoming projects, he might be close to the top including vets...

hydruxo

How is it hyperbole? Just because you don't find it that great doesn't mean other people don't. It's all opinions.

This is a very special show. Incredible that a network would greenlight something like this, its just a stunningly beautiful surreal nightmare of a love story with some of the best use of cinematography, editing and music I've seen in a TV series in a long time and I love everything about it.

Wonder if it will pick up any awards even if it is a 'Superhero' show?

This is a very special show. Incredible that a network would greenlight something like this, its just a stunningly beautiful surreal nightmare of a love story with some of the best use of cinematography, editing and music I've seen in a TV series in a long time and I love everything about it.

FX is cable TV

Watch Fargo. FX will do whatever Noah Hawley wants, and they're right to.

Goddamn at The Eye getting crushed, goddamn. I've never really watched much of anything Aubrey Plaza has been in (no, I didn't watch Parks and Recreation either) and only really seen her here and there and heard her in that awful Grumpy Cat movie but holy shit! I'm going to be sorely disappointed if she doesn't at least get an Emmy nomination.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I haven't gotten this giddy watching a TV show since the first season of Fargo. These last couple weeks have been transcendent.

Sir Doom

Wow
It's been awhile since Arrow season 2 I've seen a good single episode.
The build up, the climax, and that cliffhanger. It was perfect

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm glad Fox has the license or else we won't see Shadow King.
If Marvel Tv got this it might be C-tier Villain

valeo

I don't think you ever have to worry about the show going down that road. Just look at last night where there technically was a lot of exposition, but it was done in such a creative way. How Syd explained everything to Carry quickly before he said anything and the animated backstory with David and his rationale mind.

I feel like Syd was playing the role of the audience there - like; move it along, there's fun to be had.

Ledbetter

The fact that they played Bolero (which brings way back memories from Digimon haha) made that whole sequence a thousand times better that what it was already.

I really like this show and it has some really clever transitions and editing. However, some of the special effects look a bit tacky and only work because other elements carry them.

what was the point of Walters character? Still not entirely sure what he could actually do.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I really like this show and it has some really clever transitions and editing. However, some of the special effects look a bit tacky and only work because other elements carry them.

what was the point of Walters character? Still not entirely sure what he could actually do.

I get what you're saying, but fairly or not, the show has a lot of wiggle room for me in this space because of the dreamlike feel of the whole thing. It's not Transformers, or even Inception, but has this sort of fever-dream feeling at times to where some of the more awkward-looking effects often further the creepy/mysterious feel to me in a way they wouldn't if it was just slick all the way through.

squidyj

The one thing I want to complain about is they treated The Eye as this major threat and then he just got punked. Felt like they never justified it.

The fact that they played Bolero (which brings way back memories from Digimon haha) made that whole sequence a thousand times better that what it was already.
Oh shit, I knew it sounded familiar!

The one thing I want to complain about is they treated The Eye as this major threat and then he just got punked. Felt like they never justified it.
Yeah I was kinda sad we didn't get to see more from him, I thought the time at Clockworks would give us something but they mostly stayed away from him. We didn't even get a really firm grasp on his powerset or a confrontation with David either.

hydruxo

Well there's still one more episode left. Current speculation is that it's possible he becomes a personality inside of David's head since
The Eye died inside of David's mind.
Since it seems that SK has been supressing David's other personalities/voices since he was a baby, so if he gets rid of SK, those might come out.

Jag

I'm so fucking old that I know it as the song from Bo Derek in 10 (it was a big deal at the time).

One scene I loved mentioned in this review. The part where Sid quoted the plan to Cary in the tube before he could tell her because
it allows Syd to not be way behind the plot, but on the same page we are, because she is smart, and brave, and pays attention.

It was a nice twist from a well worn exposition device to retell the plan that we already know.

Dispatch

The show is well-made, but the narrative didn't move forward nearly as much as I'd like. I appreciate the show, but I'm not really enjoying it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The show is well-made, but the narrative didn't move forward nearly as much as I'd like. I appreciate the show, but I'm not really enjoying it.

Unless the finale really blows me away, that'll probably be where my feelings land on it. It really spun its wheels for the first 3 episodes and then rehashed a lot of it with the episode in Clockworks.

I've enjoyed the last two episodes, probably more than any others in the series, but the pacing just wasn't my cup of tea for the majority of the season. It's not even that it was slow, it was repetitive. Incredibly repetitive. And the writing just never had the charm and wit that you see in Fargo. It tries too, with some cutesy lines. But the humor has never connected for me.

I like that this exists though. It's very well shot and "different." I appreciate the ambition.

hydruxo

I think it did what it set out to do, and that's show a unique way of explaining David's origin story and his powers without just doing your typical boring origin story that every comic book property does on tv/film. It's journey through David's mindscape, and now it's all set up for them to do some really interesting things next season and beyond.

sarcastor

i love it how division 3 is all cutting edge and fierce. They are using the HK g36, which was introduced in 1996

hk_g36.jpg

and Carry and the other dude use the thompson machine gun, first introduced in 1918, cause they are fucking gangster as shit.

tommy_m1928a1.jpg

Fou-Lu

I am loving Legion so far and I have seen a lot of comparisons to Twin Peaks, which is a show I have never gotten around to watching despite knowing it was right up my alley. Partially because I figured it would have aged.

Only just watched the third episode of Twin Peaks, but hot damn did it age amazingly well.

Top Bottom