• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Talk About PlayStation VR: List of Upcoming Titles

Seanspeed

Banned
I am also very interested to experience non-game stuff like a simple beach setting where you can just sit and relax, and virtual theatre/arcade etc. That shit sounds so cool.
It will be very cool.

Ya know, I was just playing Killzone yesterday, and I was at the part where you first fly onto that cool looking building and get to stop and admire the city scenery for a bit before you get attacked by the Helghast and everything. I thought it was impressive how well-realized the city was, how it looked very futuristic and cool and everything(I'm a big sci fi fan). But what I also realized was despite how cool it all was, I was not *immersed*, despite it being a first person experience. It just 'looked' great, it did not 'feel' great. I did not get any sense of awe in terms of, "Wow, this might be what it feels like to be in some future city!"

And that's exactly the missing component that VR will give us. Doesn't have to be in a game necessarily, just that pure ability to teleport *us*, and not just the in-app character, to somewhere different entirely.

Search for the user cloudhead games on reddit, and look at their posts. They specifically mention supporting it and Oculus. Vive will be where it launches first but SteamVR requires them to cater to everything from room scale to seated and all manner of inputs

A reddit post isn't really confirmation, I would need a direct statement from the developer to confirm the title (e.g. vrfocus articles)

PS4 is my gaming system and Eve Valkyrie is all I need to know I'm buying Morpheus. Never before has a game trailer had such an effect on me. I literaly was out of breath first time I saw it.

Everything else will be a bonus. A huge bonus.

Also I should add I'm on the team 'VR will change everything'.

Sign me right up.

Unannounced title will be exclusive to Morpheus, runs at 120fps natively + reprojection and is a full title and not a demo.

http://vrfocus.com/archives/16676/unannounced-project-morpheus-exclusive-title-runs-at-120-fps-natively/

mixedbag_art1-1024x564.png

Planet

There is no reprojection to 240 fps, don't know where you figure that from, certainly not from the article you linked. The hardware isn't capable of doing such a thing, neither display nor graphics DSP, and it isn't necessary.

There is no reprojection to 240 fps, don't know where you figure that from, certainly not from the article you linked. The hardware isn't capable of doing such a thing, neither display nor graphics DSP, and it isn't necessary.

Reprojection is a technology that guess where the user is going to move basically 1 Frame can become 2 Frames, theoretically if it's 120FPS native it can guess up to 240 Frames... I'm in no way saying that it reaches that.

Along with the new prototype, SCE unveiled a technique called reprojection which allows 60Hz (60FPS) games to feel like they actually run at 120Hz; this is done by creating an additional frame between two given frames, with the goal to reduce judder and the resulting motion sickness, the archenemy of Virtual Reality devices. What’s more interesting is that according to Shuhei Yoshida (President of Sony Worldwide Studios) reprojection will be on all the time, even if the game already runs at 120Hz (120FPS), with the goal to always get the latest data as explained in an interview with Eurogamer

Unannounced title will be exclusive to Morpheus, runs at 120fps natively + reprojection (240fps) and is a full title and not a demo.

http://vrfocus.com/archives/16676/unannounced-project-morpheus-exclusive-title-runs-at-120-fps-natively/
Yeah, as Planet hinted, reprojection isn't being used to double the frames in this particular case. The point of reprojection in general is to compensate for the time elapsed from the start of rendering a frame to the time it's finally output to the display.

Let's say you're looking directly forward. The game needs to render a view that also looks directly forward, right? Well, by the time the system gets the coordinates of your head, renders what you can see from there, and sends it out to the display, 8 ms will have passed. During that 8 ms, you may have turned your head 4º to the left. So what's being displayed to you isn't what you're looking at now, but rather what you were looking at 8 ms ago. That stupid tree is still directly in front of you, but in reality, you started to turn away from it, so it should be appearing 4º off to your right instead of directly ahead. That's where the reprojection comes in. The picture they have shows the tree in the middle of the image, so they just shift the picture 4º to the right as it's being sent to the display. Now, your brain perceives the tree to be where it was expected to be, more or less; off to the right a bit, because you're turning your head to the left by that same amount.

The frame doubling from 60 fps rendering to 120 Hz refreshing comes from literal frame-doubling; they just show every picture rendered by the game engine twice instead of once, and they do the reprojection each time it's displayed. So maybe your tree is really fancy, and it takes you more like 16 ms to get it drawn and pushed out to the display. So when the user starts to turn their head, you go ahead and start rendering Frame 1 based on their predicted movement, but in the mean time, another update needs to be made in 8 ms, so they just take the picture they already had for Frame 0, and reproject it to line up with wherever your head is pointing. By the time the system is ready to refresh the screen again, Frame 1 should be ready to go, and it will be reprojected for both of the screen refreshes to follow.

So, both setups compensate for the movement of your head 120 times a second, but in the latter setup, the game world itself is only updated 60 times a second.

Planet

Reprojection will just smooth out dropped frames then to keep it at 120. The display is running at 120 hertz, producing any more frames than that wouldn't even make sense.

Sanctuary

PS4 is my gaming system and Eve Valkyrie is all I need to know I'm buying Morpheus. Never before has a game trailer had such an effect on me. I literaly was out of breath first time I saw it.

Everything else will be a bonus. A huge bonus.

Also I should add I'm on the team 'VR will change everything'.

Why does it look like an on rails shooter using Homeworld models?

Skyrise

Unannounced title will be exclusive to Morpheus, runs at 120fps natively + reprojection and is a full title and not a demo.

Hi guys, I'm the developer of the game. :)

As serversurfer correcly said, in this case reprojection is not used to create additional frames or compensate for dropped frames, but to predict where the player will be looking and 'reproject' the image accordingly, reducing latency even more.

120fps have always been the target for our game. The first internal demo was running at 120 without reprojection and it was very good, but using reprojection adds an extra layer.
It's difficult to explain, but reprojection really tricks your brain more and makes everything even smoother.
After trying it with 120 no repro and 120 with repro on, it's reprojection all the way. :)

DieH@rd

Banned

As serversurfer correcly said, in this case reprojection is not used to create additional frames or compensate for dropped frames, but to predict where the player will be looking and 'reproject' the image accordingly, reducing latency even more.

120fps have always been the target for our game. The first internal demo was running at 120 without reprojection and it was very good, but using reprojection adds an extra layer.
It's difficult to explain, but reprojection really tricks your brain more and makes everything even smoother.
After trying it with 120 no repro and 120 with repro on, it's reprojection all the way. :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Do you have any impressions about the 120fps game development on the PS4?

Skyrise

Thanks for the heads up.

Do you have any impressions about the 120fps game development on the PS4?

Let's say you really have to optimise a lot to hit 8ms per frame, you have no time to spare.
Our game is made in Unity and going on we can improve it a lot and squeeze more performances out.

I think a lot of people is understimating what you can really achieve with the PS4 as a closed hardware VR wise.

panda-zebra

I cannot quite get my head around this :) I thought I pretty much understood the basic concept of morpheus reprojection giving 120fps from 60fps, by modifying the existing frame based on predicted tracking 60 times a second, to give 120 unique frames, but this is not something I've seen mentioned before.

So morpheus runs at 120hz, the game displays at native 120hz, and rather than just using the current tracking data to position the camera for each frame 120 times a second, it's using the predictive movement of previous camera positions to modify all 120 frames per second to give an even more responsive feel? If that's the case and each frame is warped like that, the reprojection artifacting/distortion must be pretty minimal otherwise iq would suffer. I sort of imagined the reprojected frames to be at least a little wonky, but that not really mattering due to the frequency of, for want of a better term, genuine key frames every other frame, when being used to offer 120fps from 60. If this is so, how does the iq remain high? Is it due to the internal rendering resolution before the reprojection pass being much denser than the final display resolution itself?

Sorry if any/all of that is way off, don't want to polute with misinformation, just genuinely interested in how reprojection works and will feel, but even more so how it can help with 120hz native software, because I had never even considered it,. After having seen a touch of incorrect or dismissive talk of reprojection and morpheus around gaf and elsewhere, essentially shrugging it off as some sort of tweening or frame blending, which it obviously isn't, this makes it seem even more useful a tool in bringing the immediacy in response time and a better overall experience.

I think a lot of people is understimating what you can really achieve with the PS4 as a closed hardware VR wise.

See, this is what I suspected (hoped?) might be the case in morpheus' favour. PC VR devices having all kinds of potentially awesome graphics hardware brute forcing to achieve better and better results is great and scalable depending on the end user's wallet capacity, but with a closed architecture and assuming some pretty low level access, the ps4/morpheus combo might, in some regards, seem technically weaker on paper, but be able to compete effectively due to hard constants. Being able to provide a guaranteed minimum level of experience quality is also a bonus that would be seemingly difficult (impossible?) to offer when other devices are powered by myriad cpu and gpu combinations with numerous input device variety. When you're looking at such ridiculously tight frame times, I can imagine a closed architecture allows for at least some breathing space in a few instances, at least comparitively.

I'll definitely be in day 1 for morpheus and will build a pc for (probably) the htc setup once things settle down on the rift/vive front, as VR is something that excites the living shit out of me :)

Sorry for WoT...

Let's say you really have to optimise a lot to hit 8ms per frame, you have no time to spare.
Our game is made in Unity and going on we can improve it a lot and squeeze more performances out.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Speaking of which, what do you think about what Krejlooc says about the limitations of VR? Do you agree or a disagree?

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1060677

Seanspeed

Banned
I think what's confusing is that reprojection has generally come to mean using asynchronous timewarp in a very specific manner(60fps->120fps), while the dev here seems to be using this timewarp purely for reducing latency. Just semantics, I guess.

Skynet87

Neo Member
This thing is DOA. It's a cool device and idea but this isn't gonna sell. Very VERY few people are going to buy a PS4 a Morpheus and a game, like that is too much money. And the people that have a PS4 already I don't think will buy this unless Sony can sell it for $150 which they're not going to be able to. There will be people that have a money tree and will be able to afford it no matter if it's $200-$300 but that's not gonna be enough to make this thing a success.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Koei Tecmo also confirmed they are interested in working with Morpheus. No doubt they are probably creating some sort of tech demo.

kyser73

This thing is DOA. It's a cool device and idea but this isn't gonna sell. Very VERY few people are going to buy a PS4 a Morpheus and a game, like that is too much money. And the people that have a PS4 already I don't think will buy this unless Sony can sell it for $150 which they're not going to be able to. There will be people that have a money tree and will be able to afford it no matter if it's $200-$300 but that's not gonna be enough to make this thing a success.

Totally the wrong thread to make this comment mate. Try this one instead:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1061729

Skyrise - really interesting comments. I'm a big fan of Futuridium & Forma 8 reminds me of another C64 Classic, Thrust, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how your aesthetic translates into VR.

Thanks for your input, really looking forward to your game.

Cool that sound promising! :) Make sure to make a thread or bump the thread related to your game as it will be lost in the 'OMG TLG' threads. Cant wait to see the potential of Morpheus as I am quite pessimistic about Morpheus appeal myself... Would love to be proven wrong

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think what's confusing is that reprojection has generally come to mean using asynchronous timewarp in a very specific manner(60fps->120fps), while the dev here seems to be using this timewarp purely for reducing latency. Just semantics, I guess.

Yeah, iirc from the GDC slides, there are three ways to render for Morpheus:

At 60fps, reprojected and scanned out at 120hz
At 120fps, scanned out at 120hz
At 120fps, reprojected and scanned out at 120hz

The aim of all is to provide 120 frames to the display per second, but with different tradeoffs of latency vs moving object artifacts vs frame render time. Option 1 will give the longest time per frame, highest risk of artifacts and lowest latency. Option 2 will give none of these artifacts, but slightly higher latency I guess, and lowest available frame time. Option 3 will give lowest latency, slightly higher risk of artifacts (but much lower than the first option), and lowest available frame time.

Skyrise

Hi all, sorry for the lack of replies but I'm traveling to LA right now jumping between planes and airports!

Will reply as soon as I get my feet back on the ground! :)

DieH@rd

Banned
idk how Until Dawn would work in VR, but I really hope it's implemented.

Look at the CK1 trailers for Edge of Nowhere and Chronos. Both feature "on rails" camera that is similar to what Until Dawn has.

BTW who started the rumor that Until Dawn will be in VR? I don't think that will ever happen.

New Loading Human Trailer for Project Morpheus

This was uploaded today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCEIgZG6O7c
Just so everyone is clear, this is the native 120 fps game we've been discussing. Looks pretty good, especially considering the sub-9 ms frame times!

Welcome! Mind if I ask you some crazy technical questions no one should really care about? lol

First, while the graphics do look really nice, they also seemed a bit fuzzy at times in the trailer. Is that because the trailer is being pulled from the half-res, left-eye view provided by the breakout box, or is that just an effect you guys added intentionally? I ask because it seemed more noticeable in some shots than others.

In the video DieH@rd linked, the guy mentioned that you can overscan a bit to help reduce or eliminate any black bands at the edges caused by reprojection. Are you guys doing that, and if so, what the actual resolution you're rendering at?

He also said that disocclusion can be handled by guessing or restricting the reprojection to rotation-only. Which technique are you using? Does the Morpheus SDK give the dev their choice of solution?

Just out of curiosity, you say you're "the" developer of the game? Is it really just you, or are you leading a team or something? I'm not questioning whether or not it's "your" game; just wondering if it's actually a one-man effort. For example, Jenova Chen is "the dude who made Journey," but he didn't do it all by himself.

Oh, another non-tech question. The trailer says "Chapter 1." Will this game be episodic?

Again, it really is quite impressive. It's nice to see what PS4 is actually capable of, even at 120 fps.

https://youtu.be/WvtEXMlQQtI?t=129

In this case, even though the game is rendered at 120fps, and no additional frames are needed [60>120conversion where each second frame is timewarped], dev is using this technique to always get the most recent tracking data.
That's a really nice explanation. Thanks for sharing. <3

Basically, asynchronous time-warp and reprojection describe the same process. So yeah, in that sense, it's literally a semantics issue.

I think the confusion came because when Sony explained how it could be used to bump a 60 fps game to 120 Hz refreshes, a lot of people said to themselves, "Well, obviously, the PS4 will be outputting all of its games at 60 fps — or 50 fps amirite lol — so 'reprojection' basically just means 'cheating your way to double the frame rate.'" Clearly, that isn't the case, but that's what happens when people draw conclusions from poorly based assumptions.

In the video DieH@rd linked, D explains that with ATW — and I assume, Sony's reprojection — the system is always refreshing the display at 60 Hz — or 120 Hz, in the case of Morpheus — and when it's time to perform a refresh, it just grabs the last complete frame provided by the rendering engine, no matter how old it is. So whether your game is outputting 1 fps, 60 fps, or 120 fps, the system always nabs $LAST_VALID_FRAME, slides it around to line up with your head, and pushes it to the display.

Now, D says that you could have your game running at 50 fps and use ATW to hit the 60 Hz refresh rate, but he doesn't mention that's not a very good solution, because you end up with frame pacing issues. At 60 fps, each frame is being displayed one time — assuming the 60 Hz refresh of the DK2 he's working with — but if you're outputting a steady 50 fps, then most of the frames will still be displayed once, but every fifth frame will need to be displayed twice, to line up with the refresh rate of the display. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5r, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10r, etc. Even though that second refresh of frame 5 is being shifted to line up with your head, suddenly looking at the same frame twice when you're used to looking at each of them once causes a noticeable stuttering in the animation.

So really, if you're not hitting the refresh rate of the device in question — 60 Hz for DK2, 90 Hz for CV1 and Vive, and 120 Hz for Morpheus — you want the output from your rendering engine to divide evenly in to the refresh rate, so every frame is displayed for the same number of refreshes. In the case of DK2, you could render at 30 fps, and display each frame twice, or render at 20 fps, and display each frame three times, or whatever.

The problem is, once you get below 60 fps, the animation just isn't smooth enough to really be convincing in VR. So while you can use the triple-refresh timing to go from 20 fps to 60 Hz on DK2 — or from 40 fps to 120 Hz on Morpheus — and that will solve your frame pacing issues, the actual game animation itself is still too choppy to be acceptable in VR. That's why Sony pushed Morpheus to 120 Hz. That allows them to get smooth game animation at 60 fps, and ultra-smooth compensation for head movement at 120 Hz. Meanwhile, CV1 and Vive will be running at 90 Hz, and the largest factor of 90 is 45. 45 fps isn't smooth enough for VR, so the frame doubling workaround isn't really an option for them. CV1/Vive games must output 90 fps, period. That said, even though they're rendering at 90 fps, they can still use ATW/reprojection to compensate for late head movement, as MixedBag are doing in Loading Human even though they too are rendering at the device's native refresh rate. (120 Hz, since they're on Morpheus.)

panda-zebra

https://youtu.be/WvtEXMlQQtI?t=129

In this case, even though the game is rendered at 120fps, and no additional frames are needed [60>120conversion where each second frame is timewarped], dev is using this technique to always get the most recent tracking data.

Thanks for that link, the guy explained that really well, a rare gift for techie types to be able to do that to us mere mortals.

Right, I'd seen the 60->120fps thing and comments (from yourself included I believe) about it being the same principle as timewarp, but never had a chance to read up on that. The video above was just the job.

BibiMaghoo

If any of the games in the OP actually look like that in-game, I'll be really, really happy with a Morpheus. Or Playstation Vision. Or whatever it's called :p

JP

I hadn't heard of quite a few of these and some of the ones that I had heard of, I was completely unaware that they were getting a VR update.

I know it's not confirmed and I'm sure there will be some fantastic games on Morpheus but if No Man's Sky does get good Morpheus support then that one game will be enough to convince me to buy the headset. I've never seen a game that feels more right for VR than No Man's Sky.

Rembrandt

Banned
Look at the CK1 trailers for Edge of Nowhere and Chronos. Both feature "on rails" camera that is similar to what Until Dawn has.

BTW who started the rumor that Until Dawn will be in VR? I don't think that will ever happen.

ah, now I'm curious to try them out. I have no idea where that rumor came from; I think it was just speculation.

edit: sony said it would be a good fit for it.

but that quote just sounds like he thinks horror would be good fit for VR, not the game itself.

DavidDesu

YES! Thank you! :)

Skyrise

Just so everyone is clear, this is the native 120 fps game we've been discussing. Looks pretty good, especially considering the sub-9 ms frame times!

Whoops! Making things straight, the game is not Loading Human, that's made by Untold Games. We are a different italian developer called MixedBag. :)

We know each other very well because our studios are quite near, less than 200km apart actually, and we are friends, but the two projects are unrelated. Also our game is totally different and it's a lot simplier from a graphical standpoint and more in line with our current works (Futuridium EP Deluxe that is free this month on PSPlus and forma.8, coming later this year).
Also they're using Unreal, we're using Unity. :)

Hope not to have disappointed you! I know Untold Games, the developers of Loading Human, will also be at E3 showcasing the game, I'm going to meet them in the next few days.

About our team, I've said 'I' just for simplicity: At MixedBag we're currently 5 people working mainly on forma.8 and on the new VR game. The VR demo we'll showcase at E3 on Morpheus has been made in less than three weeks, not full time, by three of us.

Leaving the more technical stuff for later. :)

24 million people bought Kinects and that thing was a piece of shit.

Skyrise

Skyrise - really interesting comments. I'm a big fan of Futuridium & Forma 8 reminds me of another C64 Classic, Thrust, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how your aesthetic translates into VR.

Thank you so much. :)

We're all for abstract graphic style and look and after experimenting a bit I think it suits VR really well.
We're not striving for graphic fidelity, as a very small team it's very difficult to achieve, so we went all in with a stylised look and the highest frame rate possible. it really benefit the gameplay.

We are more interested in immersing the player in surreal alternative world than to re-create reality, the idea is to make you feel you're inside an arcade machine. :)

Whoops! Making things straight, the game is not Loading Human, that's made by Untold Games. We are a different italian developer called MixedBag. :)
D'oh! I have no idea how I screwed that up. I guess I heard that your game was a Morpheus-exclusive due to be revealed soon, and just assumed the next Morpheus-exclusive I saw must be it. ><

We know each other very well because our studios are quite near, less than 200km apart actually, and we are friends, but the two projects are unrelated. Also our game is totally different and it's a lot simplier from a graphical standpoint and more in line with our current works (Futuridium EP Deluxe that is free this month on PSPlus and forma.8, coming later this year).
Also they're using Unreal, we're using Unity. :)

Hope not to have disappointed you! I know Untold Games, the developers of Loading Human, will also be at E3 showcasing the game, I'm going to meet them in the next few days.
No, not at all! Since you do know Untold, do you happen to know what frame rate they're using in Loading Human? lol

About our team, I've said 'I' just for simplicity: At MixedBag we're currently 5 people working mainly on forma.8 and on the new VR game. The VR demo we'll showcase at E3 on Morpheus has been made in less than three weeks, not full time, by three of us.
Impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys show.

Leaving the more technical stuff for later. :)
Looking forward to it. <3

We're all for abstract graphic style and look and after experimenting a bit I think it suits VR really well.
We're not striving for graphic fidelity, as a very small team it's very difficult to achieve, so we went all in with a stylised look and the highest frame rate possible. it really benefit the gameplay.

We are more interested in immersing the player in surreal alternative world than to re-create reality, the idea is to make you feel you're inside an arcade machine. :)
Agreed. I think devs would generally be well served to come up with a distinctive, lightweight art style, and let the VR aspect of the game provide the "realism." Honestly, as a general rule, I'd rather be exploring a fantastical environment than one I can see by going outside anyway. Walking through the woods behind my house is nice, but I'd much rather be gliding around the Dragon Kingdom, for example.

Out of curiosity, what ever happened to Forma.8? Everything I'm finding says, "Coming in 2014." What gives? Also, I'm embarrassed to say I haven't tried Futuridium yet, despite having gotten it on Plus. :( Looks pretty cool on YouTube though. You guys should try to get a trailer up on the PSN Store. :)

Kudo

I'm prepared to import Morpheus and Summer Lesson if they don't get simultaneous release worldwide. Given that if Summer Lesson is a full game/experience.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They spent way less time on morpheus that I expected

way less. Maybe it is still a little too far out to talk about specifics? Maybe they don't want to be the first to talk about price?

Paris might also be too early, so maybe PSX? GDC next year probably too late for a Q1 release.

doby

It was skimmed over very quickly with a 'this shit is sociable but totally optional too' message. Not what I expected.

I would have at least expected the name for it to be announced.

I'm sensing it's been pushed back. Fall 2016 release.

Top Bottom