• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

It should be set like this.

Sample counts have to match. And you can only use the MSAA modes. No CSAA modes.
605Untitled1.jpg

(This just happens to be set to 8x. If you ever use 8x. This is the one you have to use.)

Thanks for sharing. I tried these settings aswell and the PQ looks much better. Sadly I can't keep my 60fps with them, but 4x works good for me. I will keep it that way.

artsi

EDIT: Forget this post. Look below for better shots.

Hex editing the executable (steam forums method) did not work, but I managed to change the resolution via real time memory editing. So it's just a menu fail from SE, engine is fine.

4K downsampled to 1080p

Native 1080p

J.D

So I was able to download it a few hours ago, but I cant get past the opening cinematic.
It gets stuck in the "now loading" screen.
My computer seems fine as its barely using 25%.
Anyone had this happen?

tuxfool

Banned
Hex editing the executable (steam forums method) did not work, but I managed to change the resolution via real time memory editing. So it's just a menu fail from SE, engine is fine.

4K downsampled to 1080p

Native 1080p

Are you sure? Or did you get the images mixed up? The aliasing is still really bad in those top shots.

_woLf

4K downsampled to 1080p

Native 1080p

I...literally cannot see a difference in terms of image quality. Huh.

At least not in the second shot. The first one I can a bit.

tuxfool

Banned
The images definitely look different, but that doesn't look like a downsampled screenshot. There are raw 1:1 aliases all over the place.

Some of the edges definitely have less intensity, but that could be from resampling a larger image down to 1080p. Definitely the same numbers of steps.

I wonder if that trick is just magnifying the 1080p image? Effectively pixel quadrupling.

Parsnip

I don't think either the Steam forum method or this one here is producing 4K.

I wonder if that trick is just magnifying the 1080p image?

Coincidentally I took a look at it with cheatengine and found the addresses that changed the window size but kept the render size the same.

edit: To be clear, I'm not saying that's what's happening here. But that's the only thing I found quickly that changed anything at all, and didn't crash the game. :D

tuxfool

Banned
Coincidentally I took a look at it with cheatengine and found the addresses that changed the window size but kept the render size the same.

That explains it. Windows is just upsampling the buffer.

I assume it is windows that is doing it, anyway.

HTupolev

Some of the edges definitely have less intensity, but that could be from resampling a larger image down to 1080p.
I'd actually argue the opposite. The only significant difference I can see between the images is that texture+shader aliases are stronger in the "4K" shot. Look at stuff like the ridges on the siding on that shack thingy on the left side of the image; the bright spots are softer in the "1080p" shot.

Ah.

Decided to give it a go and got it from GMG. Made sure to go right into the settings, fortunately so as the English default was actually not set as such. Plus put all the settings on Advanced. 1080p, early battles and navigation fluid and apparent 60 fps (might record/measure later).

Enjoyed the smooth performance while running around the starting area trying to figure out the default button for attack...it is the Start button of all things (on my Logitech F510). May reconfigure for keyboard which I've been using for XIII/XIII-2 but LR has a generally faster pace to it.

Good so far but barely started. Can't wait to see how the Dunes area holds up, that would sometimes become a single-digit slideshow with the sand particle effects during battle on 360.

tuxfool

Banned
I'd actually argue the opposite. The only significant difference I can see between the images is that texture+shader aliases are stronger in the "4K" shot. Look at stuff like the ridges on the siding on that shack thingy on the left side of the image; the bright spots are softer in the "1080p" shot.

Yeah, you're right. Got them backwards. Easy to see how I could make that mistake.

Adaren

Can't wait to see how the Dunes area holds up, that would sometimes become a single-digit slideshow with the sand particle effects during battle on 360.

Only 360 suffered from the laggy sandfish. PS3 was fine. Which pegs it as some sort of strange bug with the 360 version rather than just raw unoptimization / overly demanding sand.

Nonetheless, it'll be hilarious (and tragic) if that bug made it into the PC version!

I'm glad to here the performance is solid though! Can't wait to get home and download it.

artsi

Are you sure? Or did you get the images mixed up? The aliasing is still really bad in those top shots.

I don't think either the Steam forum method or this one here is producing 4K.

It's the scaling method the game uses (it sharpens the image), better images coming right up.

Only 360 suffered from the laggy sandfish. PS3 was fine. Which pegs it as some sort of strange bug with the 360 version rather than just raw unoptimization / overly demanding sand.

Nonetheless, it'll be hilarious (and tragic) if that bug made it into the PC version!

I'm glad to here the performance is solid though! Can't wait to get home and download it.

Fortunately, that was a unique instance on 360. It was quite smooth in battle otherwise, well, until the final battle. Anyway, sounds like I won't be suffering Sandfish Slowdown anymore.

HTupolev

It's the scaling method the game uses (it sharpens the image), better images coming right up.
The images do not have the 2:1 steps:pixel that should exist on geometry edges in a 4xOGSSAA image.

The only way this would make sense is if your "sharp" scaler is a nearest-neighbor filter. Which would explain the added texture+shader aliasing, but is probably not what you want (you're blowing massive rendering costs on what is pretty much just negative LOD bias).

J.D

Im so salty I cant play it.
Re-downloading right now, but I little hope for it to work.
It keeps getting stuck in the "Now loading" screen after the opining cinematic.

So so salty =/

artsi

The images do not have the 2:1 steps:pixel that should exist on geometry edges in a 4xOGSSAA image.

The only way this would make sense is if your "sharp" scaler is a nearest-neighbor filter. Which would explain the added texture+shader aliasing, but is probably not what you want (you're blowing massive rendering costs on what is pretty much just negative LOD bias).

I'm not a pro at this stuff, but the game has a native scaling (up/downsampling) function and if it was "advanced" it was jaggy for some reason. Standard is much better.

I took some new screenshots on the standard setting. Also a shot with no scaling at 4K (I could just get a cropped 1080p area, but you get the idea).

1080p

lrff132015-12-1101-52cdss2.png

4K scaled to 1080p

lrff132015-12-1101-54bks36.png

4K (cropped to the 1080p window)

lrff132015-12-1101-54ypsnd.png

Corpekata

Banned
There's a quest in the first town from a cat, I remember playing it on the PS3 version. I'm at the NPC, she's got the 2 stars notifier, but I can't talk to her. Is there some sort of prerequisite for the quest?

tuxfool

Banned
I'm not a pro at this stuff, but the game has a native scaling (up/downsampling) function and if it was "advanced" it was jaggy for some reason. Standard is much better.

I took some new screenshots on the standard setting. Also a shot with no scaling at 4K (I could just get a cropped 1080p area, but you get the idea).

This is awful.

But counting jaggies from your 4k cropped definitely shows double the number to that of 1080p native.

e: Actually, no. Only in some places.

e2: Can you turn on AA (I assume FXAA) on the 4k then downsample?

Carlius

Banned
Im so salty I cant play it.
Re-downloading right now, but I little hope for it to work.
It keeps getting stuck in the "Now loading" screen after the opining cinematic.

So so salty =/

wasnt there a fix for infinite laoding on steam forums? u had to recheck integrity for a file that was broken?

HTupolev

Now the 4K->1080p downsample looks like a 4K->1080p downsample.

Parsnip

This is more like it.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yes, but first you have to activate the DLC option from the settings menu, and reboot the game.
Only two garbs aren't in the game: Aeris, Siegfried.

That's not the same.

Wait, hold on. Other Outerworld is not available on PC? I won't see people with turbo ethers anymore? :(

Outerworld isn't in the PC version period, but it has been shut down on consoles a while ago as well. Not sure if you can still get the bonus items in either version now, but console versions were patched to give you the Siegfried garb at least and PC version doesn't have that.

Lime

wait XII HD?

XII HD is coming. It's just a matter of time and patience.

Couple that with SE's porting stuff to PC, like the upcoming X/X-2 HD version on Steam and I think it likely that PC will also get the XII remaster. Unless their strategy changes in the meantime.

Dr Dogg

Success!

Yes I know that's a 15mb picture but at least you can see it's a full 5120x2880. Memory addresses are DE235FD0 for X axis and DE234FD4 for Y axis. Haven't tested anything further than just taking a few shots so might have issues but it's a start.

Success!

Yes I know that's a 15mb picture but at least you can see it's a full 5120x2880. Memory addresses are DE235FD0 for X axis and DE234FD4 for Y axis. Haven't tested anything further than just taking a few shots so might have issues but it's a start.

What's your pc specs and framerates at that magnificent resolution?

LordK

I can try later, I wish I could get DSR working, the built-in scaler isn't as good maybe.

Can't you just change the desktop resolution with DSR to be 4K and then just run the game in 4K? Then it'll be downsampling with whatever DSR is set up to do.

I think. :p Let me know if it works!

BONKERS

Yeah, looking at the lines on the floor that run into Lightning's shoulder blade, you can clearly see the:
Code:
                        ------------
            ------------
------------

I'm not on expert on the effects of downsampling, but that seems pretty fishy.

EDIT: Top-left ceiling window also has that -------____ look.

I don't mean to be a downer; I'd love for their to be downsampling for this game! That screenshot just doesn't have the quality I'd expect, but I'm eager to be proven wrong. Maybe not even downsampling can save the XIII series from its curse of aliased floor textures, lol.
Simple 2x2 downsampling will not solve complex shader aliasing issues completely. So they will still be present somewhat.Even a lot.
There is a ton of aliasing in that 8k shot. Definitely not good resampling.
I remember one of the resampling modes looked smoother. Not sharper. Try that one.

BONKERS

So how's the frame rate in this? Some pages back people were complaining about random FPS drops.

It seems good at first. But it just seems to drop frames randomly. Causing stuttering. I even got stuttering with a CG FMV in some places.

I'd like to say it was my HDD or something. But it's hard to say.

It seems good at first. But it just seems to drop frames randomly. Causing stuttering. I even got stuttering with a CG FMV in some places.

Yeah, it's not bottlenecking on the CPU or GPU that I could tell. So I dunno.

HTupolev

Also tried 8K and there was detail, but the scaler sharpened it too much, 4K was better.
Is this "advanced" again? If that "advanced" is doing what I think it is (nearest-neighbor), upping the downsample res isn't going to fix the "sharpness" of the filter. It'll actually make it worse due to the implicit texture LOD.

You need to use a different downsampling method, not a higher res.

artsi

Is this "advanced" again? If that "advanced" is doing what I think it is (nearest-neighbor), upping the downsample res isn't going to fix the "sharpness" of the filter (actually, it'll make it worse due to implicit texture LOD).

Nope, that was standard. 8K was almost as bad as 1080p regarding jaggies, but 4K was smooth.

1080p

Actually 8K is the worst here IMO.

Can't you just change the desktop resolution with DSR to be 4K and then just run the game in 4K? Then it'll be downsampling with whatever DSR is set up to do.

I think. :p Let me know if it works!

I should try that, as the game doesn't have real full screen.

Crevox

Gone through a bit of the game so far and haven't had any issues. I think I dropped to like 50 FPS for a split second at one certain point, but that's it.

Running the game on an SSD with G-Sync.

smisk

Would it be an awful idea to play this without playing the other two XIII games first? There was a recent article on USGamer about this that kinda made me intrigued.

Top Bottom