• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

Mivey

Since I read about on the Steam forums, does the game really not run in offline mode? Even if true, I can't think it is intentional. Then again, it is SE.

Carlius

Banned
Since I read about on the Steam forums, does the game really not run in offline mode? Even if true, I can't think it is intentional. Then again, it is SE.

saint seiya soldiers soul on PC had the same issue with namco..they patched it just recently after two weeks i believe. it was just a mistake on their part, i dont see why this shouldnt be the same.

BONKERS

I'm kind of a noob at this, I put those numbers only on Antialiasing compatibilty right? Then I put 4x4SS and 4x SS for transparency and got busted shadows in the game now.

It should be set like this.

Sample counts have to match. And you can only use the MSAA modes. No CSAA modes.
605Untitled1.jpg

(This just happens to be set to 8x. If you ever use 8x. This is the one you have to use.)

Hatty

I keep getting drops to the low 40s with my 980ti and i5 4690k. Could something be wrong with my setup? everyone else gets solid 60 apparently

So the port's good (apart from the resolution cap)? My specs are 770 2GB, i7 4770K, 16GB RAM and Win 7. Played a bit of FF13, and the framerate was too shitty for my tastes (kept dipping from 60fps even when there was fuck all going on).

poncle

Was supposed to wait for a nice graphic mod, but fuck it, it's cheap and I love the gameplay. Game looks good enough, and sounds divine. Wish there was a similar game for other FF characters too.

First thing to hack is the stamina bar though, can't be bothered to wait for it to refill after sprinting for a few seconds.
Second is probably 'unlock hard mode from the beginning' :

:p

Excellent port so far in terms of framerate. I played for about 30 minutes and got rocksolid 60fps @ 1080p with my rig. Texture Filterung and Lightning are at advanced settings.

Core i5 4670
Geforce GTX 660 Ti
8 GB RAM

BONKERS

I keep getting drops to the low 40s with my 980ti and i5 4690k. Could something be wrong with my setup? everyone else gets solid 60 apparently

Use an OSD to see if your GPU clocks are dropping. This seems to be the common issue. (And it's not really the game's fault for not being super demanding. I'd say it's more of a design flaw with things like GPU Boost)

_woLf

Are the garbs they gave away via people sharing scores on social media in the game automatically?

There were some cool dresses :(

poncle

Are the garbs they gave away via people sharing scores on social media in the game automatically?

There were some cool dresses :(

Yes, but first you have to activate the DLC option from the settings menu, and reboot the game.
Only two garbs aren't in the game: Aeris, Siegfried.

Ludens

Banned
It seems Lightning Returns has missing contents, not only Aerith one:

Other Outerworld (Connect Online) items that are missing are the following:
Afro & Gold Chick
Afro & Silver Chick
Blue Moogle Bobble
Clown's Silk Hat
Coronet
Crown
Cute Cactuar Figurine
Dancefloor Shades
Gold Chocobo Chick
Miniflan Figurine
Pink Newsboy Cap
Priest's Tricorne
Red Silk Hat
Tonberry Figurine

Yeah, as soon as I hit Luxerion I'm getting really inconsistent fps, high 30s to 50s.

GPU usage topping out at 40% on a 970. lemme run an OSD or something to see what's what. (And yeah I'm already running prefer max performance)

Korezo

It should be set like this.

Sample counts have to match. And you can only use the MSAA modes. No CSAA modes.
605Untitled1.jpg

(This just happens to be set to 8x. If you ever use 8x. This is the one you have to use.)

Thanks this worked, but my pc can't power through this game for some reason. 40fps at 4x and all over the place at 2x. My gpu wasn't downclocking either and would go up to 80+% usage. It's probably because I'm on windows 10. The game with no outside adjustments and just all setting set to advance still doesn't do stable 60fps.

TheTux

Just finished the download and played it a bit.

The game runs really well, much better than XIII and XIII-2. Good job SQEX for the great port!

The extra settings are really nice too! Hopefully they'll go back and fix XIII and XIII-2 too!

HTupolev

First thing to hack is the stamina bar though, can't be bothered to wait for it to refill after sprinting for a few seconds.
Second is probably 'unlock hard mode from the beginning' :
Good thing you've got #1 in there, because you'll need all the cheat mods you can get if you start a fresh save on hard. The reason it's locked out is that it's NG+ mode. When starting a vanilla run, normal mode is hard mode.

Still have some weird drops from 60 going on, GPU usage is sitting at 30%, CPU's aren't going above 60% on a i5-4570 and a 970.

Dunno what I did but at least the drops are only into the 50s now. But they're still random (it'll drop while sitting staring in the same direction.)

Bittercup

Quick comparison of the pre-rendered video quality:
PC:
1pc2vuxd.png

PS3:
1ps3fcup8.png

PC:
2pc3sure.png

PS3:
2ps3j2uk8.png

They are timed to be the exact same frame and are taken from the original video files. Colours are a bit different and the compression is slightly worse but significantly better than it was with FFXIII on PC.

Bate

Never played one of the FFXIII's. From what I gather, the first one is pretty linear for a long time and both -1 and -2 are problematic ports and this third one is the best. Is part 3 an ok point to start if you are not a die hard FF fan or are the other games required lore- and storywise?

BONKERS

Yeah, as soon as I hit Luxerion I'm getting really inconsistent fps, high 30s to 50s.

GPU usage topping out at 40% on a 970. lemme run an OSD or something to see what's what. (And yeah I'm already running prefer max performance)

I'm seeing stuttering just in the very first room of the game fighting a single lone enemy quite often.

Ugh..

Hatty

I'm seeing stuttering just in the very first room of the game fighting a single lone enemy quite often.

Ugh..
Same
OSD says gpu clock speed is about 750MHZ and there's 44% gpu load and temps are 65c
So I'm not sure what the drops are about

BONKERS

Thanks this worked, but my pc can't power through this game for some reason. 40fps at 4x and all over the place at 2x. My gpu wasn't downclocking either and would go up to 80+% usage. It's probably because I'm on windows 10. The game with no outside adjustments and just all setting set to advance still doesn't do stable 60fps.

At 768p 4x only uses ~25% on my 980.

For some reason right now 1080p even without AA is just dropping to sub 30FPS for no reason.
Quick comparison of the pre-rendered video quality:
PC:
1pc2vuxd.png

PS3:
1ps3fcup8.png

PC:
2pc3sure.png

PS3:
2ps3j2uk8.png

They are timed to be the exact same frame and are taken from the original video files. Colours are a bit different and the compression is slightly worse but significantly better than it was with FFXIII on PC.

Pretty damn close. Which is nice. Now if only they'd patch the last two to the same level.

SenkiDala

Excellent port so far in terms of framerate. I played for about 30 minutes and got rocksolid 60fps @ 1080p with my rig. Texture Filterung and Lightning are at advanced settings.

Core i5 4670
Geforce GTX 660 Ti
8 GB RAM

I've the same CG than you, an i7 3770k, and 16GB of RAM, it should run fine on my PC too! Thanks!

Awesome to see all those JRPGs (well even if this one is a bit different) coming out on PC... Realy!

Joey Ravn

Banned
Managed to make it run just once, then it's been crashing right when the Square Enix logo begins to fade.

Glad to see it's working much better than the two previous games for everyone else. But if I can't make it work by the time I go to sleep, it's a refund for me.

Edit: Ah, of course it was going to crash if Afterburner's overlay was on. Should've guessed... Fixed now, though.

Ranmo

Dang, I might have to purchase this along with xiii-2 on steam. I remember really enjoying the third game during the hours that I invested into it. But eventually stopped due to backlog, hating that I never completed xiii-2 and kind of bothered by the absurd amount of frame rate drops in the game.

I think I mostly stopped due to something more interesting being released, not sure. Been a while.

BONKERS

Well i've had my time with it. I'm refunding.

If they patch the problems. I'll rebuy it.

It'd be nice if they patched the other two games as well.

KTO

Never played one of the FFXIII's. From what I gather, the first one is pretty linear for a long time and both -1 and -2 are problematic ports and this third one is the best. Is part 3 an ok point to start if you are not a die hard FF fan or are the other games required lore- and storywise?

1 and 2 are more connected storywise. This one is a bunch different and takes place in a different world altogether. The only thing you will miss as a new player is the cameos from returning characters, but they all have pretty singular motivations anyway so it shouldn't be too big of an issue.

shiyrley

Banned
So the Steam version of this game seems to ask you to not turn off your PS3 while saving, at least in Spanish. (found in Twitter)

esUYp2G.jpg

Of course, I don't know who could be so CRAZY to turn off their PS3 while a PC gaming is saving. Madness. I guess some people just want to watch the world burn.

Bate

1 and 2 are more connected storywise. This one is a bunch different and takes place in a different world altogether. The only thing you will miss as a new player is the cameos from returning characters, but they all have pretty singular motivations anyway so it shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Thanks. I'll pick this up when I have some free time.

BONKERS

I hate the soft fxaa/ txaa blurry look this game has. I hope someone finds a way to remove that.

What? The game doesn't look soft at all. It uses MSAA with AtC for hair just like the first two. (With no way to turn it off because it will mess up hair and eyelashes). And nothing else.

If anything it's overly sharp with tons of aliasing from high frequency noise.

So seems like the resolution is not actually locked by the engine, the game just offers a very limited amount of resolution choices in the menu.

How can they seriously be so lazy ? :/
One step forward, two step backwards, SE just hates PC :/

Arx

Neo Member
Ran into an infinite loop when asked "Eat the deep fried Niblet hairball?" in the Gordon Gourmet quest. The Savior can down those things like nobody's business (had to quit to desktop though...)

Adaren

Apparently, you can unlock the resolution with simple hex edit.
I believe someone will make a tool for it soon, just wait if you're not into hex editing.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/345350/discussions/0/487876568223464131/

The steam user is claiming that this is 3840x2160 downsampled.

I'm pretty skeptical, but maybe my low res monitor / imgur compression is playing tricks on my eyes. Thoughts?

(I also haven't started the game yet, so I have nothing to compare it to except my memories and expectations)

artsi

I'm pretty skeptical, but maybe my low res monitor / imgur compression is playing tricks on my eyes. Thoughts?

The scene is so bare of details and screenshot super compressed that I can't really say.

(I also haven't started the game yet, so I have nothing to compare it to except my memories and expectations)

Unless he upload a better shot and do not use imgur + jpg compressions, we can't really see.

Adaren

Yeah, looking at the lines on the floor that run into Lightning's shoulder blade, you can clearly see the:
Code:
                        ------------
            ------------
------------

I'm not on expert on the effects of downsampling, but that seems pretty fishy.

EDIT: Top-left ceiling window also has that -------____ look.

I don't mean to be a downer; I'd love for their to be downsampling for this game! That screenshot just doesn't have the quality I'd expect, but I'm eager to be proven wrong. Maybe not even downsampling can save the XIII series from its curse of aliased floor textures, lol.

Exentryk

That user is a good modder from Witcher 3. He knows his stuff. I can see more detail on Lightning's hair and Hope's face.

HTupolev

Some of the geometry edges look like they might have two transitions per stairstep, which is what you'd expect for that downsample. Floor details look kind of like 1x, but it's a bit dangerous to rely on those for pixel counting...

Hard to make any confident statements on such a compressed image.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The final boss in this was ridiculous. I Youtube'd the ending and don't regret it at all.

Top Bottom