• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

Zafir

And this is a problem... how?

XII's "battle system" was perfect for what it was trying to do: Erase a lot of the tedious busywork of the combat in JRPGs away. Instead of you smashing X (oh, sup FF13) it's the game smashing X with you doing minor course-corrections if things get really hairy.

Still the best combat system.
My problem with it was it just wasn't solid enough with it's execution, so I just ended up being annoyed with it.

You could only have a limit amount of gambits, and you couldn't save a "set" so frankly managing them was extremely tedious. You also had to go off and buy the "conditions" which felt a bit daft. Manual input wasn't really a viable option either because the menu's were clunky to navigate through.

Honestly I'd like some kind of hybrid between the two.

Arkeband

Banned
is bordeless windows a bad thing? i always thought is a good thing

I've had issues with some borderless windowed games on dual-screen setups where I can't WIN key + SHIFT + Arrow key shortcut to throw it over to a different monitor. But I've also had issues doing this on fullscreen games as well.

The PC scene is still catering to the stone-age PC and College Laptop Gamer crowd, it seems.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So.. how perrrrrfect is this game with this port?

BONKERS

is bordeless windows a bad thing? i always thought is a good thing
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...plication-performs-better-in-full-screen-mode

Generally speaking, 99% of the time Borderless Fullscreen means Zero Vsync in Windows 7 if Aero isn't enabled. And Aero is garbage. The Vsync it enables causes stuttering and noticeable input lag.
Can the image quality be improved using the nvidia control panel?

Didn't even know this game was online required, would have never bought... Game doesnt launch in offline mode.

Yes it can. I've found an AA flag that works 9/10 at the moment. I need to find the right one to fix a UI issue.

Guess I'll try it on my setup and see how it performs. Doesn't feel good that people with GTX980s are having issues when I am on a GTX970.

The drops I had didn't seem to be consistent. It was mostly after first loading up the game I think.

The major problem I had was the card not staying at a consistent clock. And that caused huge performance problems.

My card is bios modded to 1506mhz on the core for high performance 3D mode without downclocking.

However if Adaptive is used instead of Maximum Performance, the clocks are all over the place. Dropping as low as ~950Mhz at one point that I saw.

Korezo

Also I don't get stable 60 with and without sli on 970s i72600k 4.4ghz. Always getting drops all the way to 50. Thought it was Sli ruining performance but its the same disabled.

ezodagrom

Sounds like this is another port to hope Durante fixes?
Doesn't sound likely:
Koei Tecmo games maintain their locks (from my perspective, of course someone else could fix them) because I refuse to fix them, not because it would be particularly challenging. They annoy the hell out of me.

If Square Enix seriously went back to a resolution lock after releasing a game with arbitrary resolution support on the same engine then they'll also be on my shitlist. That's inexcusable.

Falk

that puzzling face
Considering the differences between XIII/XIII-2 and this port, I'm willing to speculate that a completely different bunch of people did the port.

disclaimer: complete speculation on my part. No insider info.

he shouldnt have to , its there fault for screwing up multiple releases with out learning from their mistakes.

How did you spell "their" both correctly and incorrectly in one sentence? ;p

Caffeine

Considering the differences between XIII/XIII-2 and this port, I'm willing to speculate that a completely different bunch of people did the port.

disclaimer: complete speculation on my part. No insider info.

How did you spell "their" both correctly and incorrectly in one sentence? ;p

I do that sometimes lol I dont even know.

BONKERS

So for us 1080p plebes, it's all good?

Sure if you don't mind being unable to play at a higher resolution when you upgrade down the line in true console game fashion.

Or want better AA, because there is quite a bit of shader/specular aliasing despite geometry aliasing and hair looking pretty good.

Or plan on ever playing offline as it requires an internet connection or with Steam Cloud disabled.

Also I don't get stable 60 with and without sli on 970s i72600k 4.4ghz. Always getting drops all the way to 50. Thought it was Sli ruining performance but its the same disabled.

Strange, are you sure your GPU isn't downclocking it's boost clocks? This messed me up pretty bad.

Also, for whatever reason the Advanced "Shadowing" and "Lighting" options seem to use the most resources.

Arkeband

Banned
Type-0 did release a patch with additional resolutions, including 1920x1200. So the precedent is there for them to add something else to the initial launch of the game, albeit not the common sense things we asked for.

Adaren

Consistent 60 FPS means I'm happier than I was with any of their previous ports. They've already exceeded my expectations; hopefully the internet connection requirement gets patched out (MGR:R had that initially, right? Some game did.).

I'm sure Durante doesn't want to commit to fixing or not fixing anything at the moment, but I'm curious if he'll be doing an analysis similar to the one for Type-0.

cwistofu

i7-4710MQ at 2.5 GHz
GeForce GTX 870M
8GB RAM

Should my laptop be struggling to get this game at 30fps on standard settings? :(

EDIT: Nevermind. The game decided it didn't want to use my graphics card by default for some reason. Forced it through NVIDIA Control Panel, now everything is buttery smooth. Aww yeah.

BONKERS

Type-0 did release a patch with additional resolutions, including 1920x1200. So the precedent is there for them to add something else to the initial launch of the game, albeit not the common sense things we asked for.

They missed 4k (Even though it renders at 4k with AA High. Which is insultingly irritating. You already had people complaining about performance at 1080p with that AA setting because they don't tell anyone what it is. Maybe that's why they don't support 4k. I don't know it couldn't be that dumb could it?), and it's still borderless windowed. When I played the game on W7 I couldn't get vsync at all. Nothing but tearing.
So I refunded. I really want to play it too, but no Vsync alone kills it.

Somehow with Borderless Windowed here though I AM getting Vsync.

Also: I just noticed another issue. The Intro FMV after the SE logo has stuttering when the game is set to 60FPS at some points.

Also: Nvidia users you can get SGSSAA with 0x004002C1

I have an issue where the setting that controls on screen prompts (controller vs keyboard) doesn't work. I set it to controller, and every time I load the game it shows me keyboard prompts. If i exit to the menu and set it to controller again, it shows controller prompts in the menu, then goes back to keyboard when the game loads. Anyone else with the same issue? (or a solution, hopefully)

Edit: I'm an idiot, you can go to the menu without quitting the game. Anyone having the same issue, just change the setting again each time you load up the game (from the ingame menu)

HeelPower

Sure if you don't mind being unable to play at a higher resolution when you upgrade down the line in true console game fashion.

Nope. I want downsampling.

If you play on a small enough screen,there's no difference between 720p and 8K.

Another option is sitting farther and farther away from your screen as tech advances.

If you sit far enough,you won't notice the differences.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Definite edition or not, there's no physical copy obviously, which is a big deal and part of why I love consoles.

Because the game was a technical mess.

tumblr_niajhqeVJH1rj4gm2o1_1280.jpg

I'm honestly surprised, Tri-Ace seems like a pretty competent dev. Might it have had something to do with trying to make an open world game on Crystal Tools?

BONKERS

Another option is sitting farther and farther away from your screen as tech advances.

tumblr_mzys8nfrxf1st18yzo1_400.gif

Yeah, let's just play at 240p and sit 20 feet away while we're at it.

That's not the point my friend...

Also: SGSSAA comparison for whom are interested. (Low resolution comparison though atm)
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/153840

Zafir

I doubt anyone plays on a screen small enough that you wouldn't notice the difference between those two, honestly. :p Sure you can sit further away but like, it's a PC game, people sit close to their PCs.

Running a lower resolution than native means you get a blurred image.

Having variable resolution is even more necessary if AA options haven't been added, at least then you can solve the jagged edges through brute force - rendering it higher and then down sampling.

Not having a resolution option is just inexcusable on PC these days when higher resolutions than 1080p are ever more prominent. To add insult to injury, this even only supports like 5 resolutions. If you have a monitor that doesn't have one of those resolutions, again, you're shit out of luck.

Ricker

Lightning Returns has a classic cutscene,in the area before the second Boss...should look great at 60fps if they kept it smooth throughout.

Zafir

Definite edition or not, there's no physical copy.

lightningreturnsdog.jpg

I'm honestly surprised, Tri-Ace seems like a pretty competent dev. Might it have had something to do with trying to make an open world game on Crystal Tools?

While it's possible there was also teething issues with the engine, I think it was just rushed, honestly.

It was cheaply and quickly done.

i7-4710MQ at 2.5 GHz
GeForce GTX 870M
8GB RAM

Should my laptop be struggling to get this game at 30fps on standard settings? :(

EDIT: Nevermind. The game decided it didn't want to use my graphics card by default for some reason. Forced it through NVIDIA Control Panel, now everything is buttery smooth. Aww yeah.

Mine has very similar specs as well. Glad to see i can hit a stable 30. Gonna pick this up when i get home.

cwistofu

Mine has very similar specs as well. Glad to see i can hit a stable 30. Gonna pick this up when i get home.

I should have specified! I'm actually running at 60fps pretty solid. I haven't hit any super intense scenes yet (just ran around and watched the cutscene with Lumina), but things are looking good.

I should have specified! I'm actually running at 60fps pretty solid. I haven't hit any super intense scenes yet (just ran around and watched the cutscene with Lumina), but things are looking good.

Even better. Sounds like a great port if you don't care for resolutuon above 1080.

HTupolev

That argument actually doesn't work for content that isn't perfectly sampled. Standing fifty feet from a TV, it would still be very easy to tell the difference between 720p and 8K in many games due to the difference in aliasing.

Adaren

In the 360 version of the game, there was a bug with the fish enemy in the Dead Dunes where the frame rate would drop to ~2 when they kicked up sand. Hopefully they didn't port that over lol.

The only other time the frame rate was notably bad in battle was the grassy battlefield in the Wildlands (consistent <20). Hopefully that part is also optimized!

2gb GTX 670
8 gigs of ram
1080p

consistent, smooth 60 fps. Aside from the hilariously outdated and sparse settings, the game runs great.

HeelPower

tumblr_mzys8nfrxf1st18yzo1_400.gif

Yeah, let's just play at 240p and sit 20 feet away while we're at it.

That's not the point my friend...

Also: SGSSAA comparison for whom are interested. (Low resolution comparison though atm)
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/153840

I doubt anyone plays on a screen small enough that you wouldn't notice the difference between those two, honestly. :p Sure you can sit further away but like, it's a PC game, people sit close to their PCs.

Running a lower resolution than native means you get a blurred image.

Having variable resolution is even more necessary if AA options haven't been added, at least then you can solve the jagged edges through brute force - rendering it higher and then down sampling.

Not having a resolution option is just inexcusable on PC these days when higher resolutions than 1080p are ever more prominent. To add insult to injury, this even only supports like 5 resolutions. If you have a monitor that doesn't have one of those resolutions, again, you're shit out of luck.

Guys..I should've added it was just sarcasm lol...I thought my post was obviously ridiculous lol.

Its stupid that SE locked the resolution.

Mohasus

GPU USAGE 35%
30 FPS

THANKS SQUARE ENIX LET'S SAVE THE PLANET WITH ALL THIS ENERGY WE AREN'T WASTING.

3570k and 16Gb, so I doubt they are the bottlenecks.

tumblr_niajhqeVJH1rj4gm2o1_1280.jpg

you have to wonder about how big a budget they got for this, too. You gotta imagine that SE wanted to make these sequels somewhat on the cheap to maximize profits after how much was poured into FFXIII

Top Bottom