• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

jekasama

Neo Member
Played for about 30mins. Getting solid 60fps everywhere and my PC isn't all that great, awesome.

Elaborate 'not all that great', because I'm still downloading it and I don't want to hype myself too much. My rig is
i5-2500 3.3GHz
RAM 8GB
GTX560Ti
Windows 8.1

BONKERS

Even thought their ports are far from perfect, I disagree with your comment. These are okay ports and when you think of it, the only thing remaining is arbitrary resolution. Western branches really needs to communicate on that. At least, this one is 1080p, features newer graphical effects and no framepacing issue. More than that, it's 60FPS. It's still a difference with the 720p 15~30FPS console version.

Let's go through many of them.

FFVII-1998, utter shit port. Fixed mostly by fans over the years.

FFVIII same thing.

FFIII- low budget no frills mobile port with no effort to change the UI from the mobile phone version. Locked 30FPS

FFIV-Same thing, except battles are now locked at 15 glorious FPS. Forgot to think about playing at a resolution other than 720p. CG FMV only displays properly if you play at 720p.

FFIV TAY- Same as FFIV

FFV- Runs at 30FPS but displays at 60FPS (It's a 2D game it should be 60FPS all the way), music restarts after battle. No effort Mobile port that doesn't bother to change the UI. New 2D sprite/tile work is still low res and poorly upscaled.

FFXIII- About as shit as FFVII,unplayable framerate stuttering even during FMVs. Massive 50+GB download for worse quality FMVs than the PS3 version. Super low volume with no sliders to re balance the audio. Launched locked at 720p with lower resolution shadows than PS3 version.
Patched insultingly the things that Durante did on his own and called it a day.

FFXIII-2 -pretty much the same as XIII but even worse in some areas.

FFType-0 - Finally seems they got their head out of their ass, moved to a higher quality Video solution, decent options. Runs well. It can even render at 4k with a Super Sampling Hybrid method! BUT, can't display at any resolution higher than 1080p!
There is no Exclusive Fullscreen mode. And Absolutely ZERO Vsync for anyone on Windows 7. Unless you dare to bother with Aero with it's terrible Vsync stuttering and input lag. In a game that already has substantial Input lag to begin with.

So yeah, I think my point is very well warranted.

Lighting returns only supports FIVE resolutions. And has no true Exclusive Full Screen mode. Which means a good portion of people are fucked. Myself included.
The menu options make no sense.
Steam cloud needs to be activated to start the game (WAT?)

Hikami

Elaborate 'not all that great', because I'm still downloading it and I don't want to hype myself too much. My rig is
i5-2500 3.3GHz
RAM 8GB
GTX560Ti
Windows 8.1

I'm on an Alienware Alpha (i3 version). Mostly stock parts besides the RAM which I upgraded.

i3-4130T 2.9GHz
RAM 16GB
modified GTX 860m
Windows 10
Any stutter at all? Pretty smooth feeling overall?
Yeah, pretty smooth. Haven't had any noticeable stutters so far.

BONKERS

Wow even worse, it requires Steam Cloud to be enabled at all times and I can't even play in Offline mode. WTF.

You better make sure your GPU isn't downclocking to base clocker either. Because it will cause stuttering.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tried it out for a bit with a DS3. Working really well. The entire interface and port job is obviously very hastily hacked together and everything feels like a console to PC port rather than something with more polish, but at least it seems to work well as it is. Loading is fast, framerate seems good, resolution is high enough, and it supports dual language natively, although you have to restart the game for voice changes to take effect.

So far it seems well worth the low price I paid for it!

Not surprising since the thing was almost canned at one point from what I heard.

LegendX48

Tried it out for a bit with a DS3. Working really well. The entire interface and port job is obviously very hastily hacked together and everything feels like a console to PC port rather than something with more polish, but at least it seems to work well as it is. Loading is fast, framerate seems good, resolution is high enough, and it supports dual language natively, although you have to restart the game for voice changes to take effect.

So far it seems well worth the low price I paid for it!

does it have the button icons for the DS3/4?

Aru

Wow, the game looks great at 60 FPS! Not gonna re-buy the game, but it's still nice to see their ports are improving.

Lime

Took some shots for you all at the highest possible settings (everything "advanced" @ 1080p).

345350_2015-12-10_000bmpcn.png
345350_2015-12-10_000wtpej.png
345350_2015-12-10_0000cq0i.png
345350_2015-12-10_0007erj7.png
345350_2015-12-10_00019q2g.png

The game badly needs some downsampling.

Goddamnit Square, LR isn't next to the other FFXIII's in the library list. I hate that shit :mad:

Good to hear the port is solid, downloading it now. This is the one FFXIII I'm glad I held off on.

Were they discouraged from lackluster XIII and XIII-2 sales on PC? Because they've nobody to blame but themselves.
For what reason ?
The PC ports were most likely just a byproduct from Square's streaming service 'Dive In' that allowed you play FFXIII on your phone. It was a total failure though, so they canned it.
Haven't read everything, but whoa... This port is actually better than previous ones?

This is one of the most surprising news I've heard all year.

Good to know though. Hopefully Square does continue to improve their ports from now on.
Wouldn't say that it's better, it's the only game that doesn't support resolutions greater than 1080p. Really disappointing since games look like crap on my 4k monitor when not played at native resolution :/

Haven't read everything, but whoa... This port is actually better than previous ones?

Good to know though. Hopefully Square does continue to improve their ports from now on.

Yeah at this rate, the port of FF17 ought to be fantastic.

Amneisac

ok thank you. can i skip xiii-2 after beating x-iii and then jump to new one?

I'm sure you'll get ton of opinions on this, but I really think that XIII-2 was better than XIII. They really opened up the gameplay with a lot more open world stuff. I also like the music better. The story is probably even more nonsensical than XIII, but that's my only knock against it.

Yeah no shit. And it's like they learn nothing.
It's especially frustrating because they own western studios that always put out PC games and work with Nixxes all the time. Surely they'd learn a thing or two by now but I guess the extra effort is too much for Square Enix proper.

komorebi

Took some shots for you all at the highest possible settings (everything "advanced" @ 1080p).

Looks great!

I'm sure you'll get ton of opinions on this, but I really think that XIII-2 was better than XIII. They really opened up the gameplay with a lot more open world stuff. I also like the music better. The story is probably even more nonsensical than XIII, but that's my only knock against it.

Agreed.

Peff

So it looks like they may have fixed the completely ridonkulous slowdown caused by the very existence of the on-screen UI? It'd be pretty nice if so, and great if they fixed it in the other two as well.

BONKERS

Requires Steam Cloud to be enabled to play.

Requires Online Connection to play. Offline mode doesn't work.

There are only FIVE Resolutions to choose from. Anything other than that, and you are screwed.
720p,810p,768p,900p,1080p

No REAL full screen mode like Type-0, only borderless windowed.

Does not switch to controller icons when controller is being used.
Defaults to Keyboard.
No explanations for any of the options. "Standard or Advanced", The framerate is likewise confusing. "Fixed =30FPS Dynamic =60FPS"

Mouse cursor on screen when playing KB&M if you attempt to use mouse.
No mouse camera control.

Even with my GPU clock staying static like it is supposed to. I'm still getting Frame Drops randomly. On a GTX 980.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's especially frustrating because they own western studios that always put out PC games and work with Nixxes all the time. Surely they'd learn a thing or two by now but I guess the extra effort is too much for Square Enix proper.

Most of the FF ports on PC are quick cash grabs. Their best effort was Type-0 HD but everything else has been mobile ports, stuff that was on PC years ago and a handful that were converted for a now dead streaming service. I agree that there should be some effort but there really hasn't been.

Agreed. XIII-2 is the best of the three imo. Plus I imagine jumping from the somewhat happy ending of XIII straight into the somber and weirdly religious world of LR would be jarring to say the least.

komorebi

There are only FIVE Resolutions to choose from. Anything other than that, and you are screwed.

Defaults to Keyboard.
No explanations for any of the options. "Standard or Advanced", The framerate is likewise confusing. "Fixed =30FPS Dynamic =60FPS"

No mouse camera control.

Even with my GPU clock staying static like it is supposed to. I'm still getting Frame Drops randomly. On a GTX 980.

Does the port do anything right?

Arizato

Hahahaha, wow! Maybe I did a mistake buying this then. I played through FFXIII and XIII-2, actually liked XIII-2 and wanted to play this because of the cheap price, even if the ending really sucks.

So it's not worth it even for this low price? I am downloading it right now on Steam.

Parsnip

Hahahaha, wow! Maybe I did a mistake buying this then. I played through FFXIII and XIII-2, actually liked XIII-2 and wanted to play this because of the cheap price, even if the ending really sucks.

So it's not worth it even for this low price? I am downloading it right now on Steam.

For most people it's fine.

Buburibon

Defaults to Keyboard.

No mouse camera control.

That about sums up how I feel about this port. I know it's only $20, but as far as recent SE/KT ports go, DQH is the much better port in my opinion.

Mouse cursor top menu, hit "File>Quit".
Because you know, Games are standard Windows Applications didn't ya know???

Yeah, that basically does it for me. It's as sloppy as it gets.

BONKERS

Also: The Full screen mode is definitely borderless Full screen, but i'm actually getting Vsync with Aero disabled in Windows 7 WTF??
That about sums up how I feel about this port. I know it's only $20, but as far as recent SE/KT ports go, DQH is the much better port in my opinion.

Which is sad in it's own right because it's similarly so backwards thinking. Doesn't even have any AA.

komorebi

Sounds like its the definitive version even with these issues (some big, some minor). I'll take this over the PS3 version any day though. What little I played of that was terrible performance wise.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FFXII is too slow (thank god for IZJS) and the proper way to play is actually making gambits do everything for you.

Combat is not the strength of XII

And this is a problem... how?

XII's "battle system" was perfect for what it was trying to do: Erase a lot of the tedious busywork of the combat in JRPGs away. Instead of you smashing X (oh, sup FF13) it's the game smashing X with you doing minor course-corrections if things get really hairy.

Still the best combat system.

BONKERS said:
>>Stuff<<

Well, hello there 2 years from now Steam Sale.

Falk

that puzzling face

Depends. It's performing far better than XIII and XIII-2, but within a specific set of parameters (e.g. no full-screen, no >1080p, etc)

Sounds like its the definitive version even with these issues (some big, some minor). I'll take this over the PS3 version any day though. What little I played of that was terrible performance wise.

Pretty much yeah, like the previous two, issues regardless, it's far, far superior to the console versions, on the one simple fact that it can hold 30 60fps.

Korezo

Can the image quality be improved using the nvidia control panel?

Didn't even know this game was online required, would have never bought... Game doesnt launch in offline mode.

Top Bottom