• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Lucky reviews are coming in. 93% on RT and 82 on Metacritic.

kswiston

I searched and didn't see a thread for this yet. The embargo is up for Logan Lucky, and reviews are quite positve so far.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2017

Rotten Tomatoes (131 reviews, 93%, 7.5 avg): https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/logan_lucky

Metacritic (78 metascore, 47 reviews): http://www.metacritic.com/movie/logan-lucky

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPzvKH8AVf0

Some review quotes:

Owen Gleiberman: http://variety.com/2017/film/review...ng-tatum-adam-driver-daniel-craig-1202504091/
Steven Soderbergh's ”Logan Lucky" is a high-spirited, low-down blast. It's a let's-rob-the-racetrack heist comedy set in that all-American place that even rednecks would have no problem calling redneck country: the land of NASCAR and child beauty pageants, spangly long fingernails and roadside biker-bar brawls, and — these days being what they are — chronic unemployment and spiritual stagnation. (Hey, nothing's perfect.) The script, by Rebecca Blunt (it's her first, and it's a beauty), exploits the Southern gift for turning something as basic as a series of freeway directions into a tall tale. And Soderbergh, directing his first feature in four years (his last one was the superb HBO Liberace biopic ”Behind the Candelabra"), plays, with an invisible wink, off the natural-born comedy of mile-wide drawls that veer from the charmingly folksy into a kind of good-ol'-boy theater (lying about your alibi, it turns out, is even more effective when you do it from behind the armor of a chicken-fried accent).

”Logan Lucky" turns out to be a sharply observant tall tale all its own, a movie that taps into the shifting dynamics of Trump country (though the T-word itself is never mentioned). After a prologue that features the twin fetishes of John Denver nostalgia and pickup-truck repair, the action gets set in motion when Jimmy Logan (Channing Tatum), a beefy divorced dad who lives in a tin-walled shack in Boone County, W.Va., loses his latest hard-hat gig, all because someone from human resources spied him walking with a slight limp, which could signal a pre-existing condition, which could prove actionable. Actually, it's just an old football injury, and yes, he should have mentioned it on his application form (though in that case he probably wouldn't have gotten the job). Yet the timely corporate injustice of this here-today-gone-tomorrow layoff tells you all you need to know about the prospects for Jimmy's future: There are none.

Todd McCarthy: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/logan-lucky-review-1023775
Blunt's script is full of giddy inventions and gives the actors some good stuff to play with, but there is the sense that one more serious pass at it might have made it a bit tighter, more spirited and authentically low-down. A few moments, particularly early on, also betray a whiff of condescension to the characters.

The actors seems to be having a great time, however, and this proves contagious. Craig, Tatum and MacFarlane all find good comic grooves and stay in them. Driver's reserved sincerity is perhaps intended as an underplayed contrast, but in practice just means that the actor doesn't come off as winningly as do his co-leads. Hilary Swank pops in late-on as a special agent who tries to get to the bottom of the heist, while Katherine Waterston is wasted in a nothing part.

Still, this is a good-times film that doesn't put on airs, dress to impress or pretend to be something it isn't. It just aims to please, and does a pretty good job of it.

Andrew Lowry: http://www.empireonline.com/movies/logan-lucky/review/
Heist films are all about the process, so it would be a crime to give too much away, suffice to say that Soderbergh and writer Rebecca Blunt are careful to dole out enough info to make sure we can follow what's going on, but are equally careful to keep a few surprises to drop along the way.

If this is all sounding a little Out Of Sight getting it on with the Ocean's trilogy and their baby growing up in Trump country, that's because it is. There's an unavoidable feeling that Soderbergh is playing the hits here — although it's odd how much a character-driven crime flick is now such a rarity it feels like an exercise in turn-of-the-millennium retro.

More irritatingly, as with a lot of Soderbergh (Side Effects, The Good German), there's the lingering suspicion we're another draft or so away from something special, but his frenetic working pace didn't allow for it. Seth MacFarlane certainly wasn't given enough time to perfect his ‘English' accent. But a late-entering Hilary Swank as an FBI agent (with Blue Ruin's Macon Blair on sidekick duty) goes nowhere, as does an extended cameo from Katherine Waterston, who shows up to make a sledgehammer point about the US healthcare system only to disappear once she's done so. And while not everything has to have a bow on it, Logan Lucky doesn't quite have the impactful ending the build-up deserves. But it's such an enjoyable ride to get there, that can be forgiven.

Gattsu25

Banned
You mean RT is at 100% after 15 reviews.

No one cares about the Rotten Tomatoes average rating.

That title threw me for a loop for a second.

Soderbergh is amazing; probably the most versatile director in Hollywood right now.

I do wonder how well this will do at the box office. This and Hitman's Bodyguard releasing on the same day is just outrageous

kswiston

100% doesn't mean much after 15 reviews, so I figured that the average was a better indicator of quality. I can ask one of our mods to change it to the tomatometer score later if this thread is still active.

They should.

More headlines like this would help with that.

I appreciated it. It's more accurate/informative as to the critical reception

100% doesn't mean much after 15 reviews, so I figured that the average was a better indicator of quality. I can ask one of our mods to change it to the tomatometer score later if this thread is still active.

Nah, don't. This is better.

I'm catching this before it leaves theaters, definitely.

It really has been kind of a nutso summer, huh.

Ricky_R

What do you mean no one cares about the average rating? Tomato meter can go either way. Rating is accurate.

Chris R

Hadn't seen any advertising for this. I'm a big NASCAR fan, only learned about it thanks to a trailer before Baby Driver lol.

Still don't know if I'll see it in theaters, but I'll watch it this year for sure.

It's a Soderbergh film I'd be surprised if it wasn't well-received, with few exceptions his films are usually well-received by critics even if audiences don't care for them.

Film looks good BTW.

mreddie

NASCAR is promoting this like the next Days of Thunder.

I hope this is good Soderbergh and not Meh Soderbergh

Nobody cares about the average. All about the RT%

Nah fuck that. The average is a better barometer for quality if we're gonna get hung up on numbers

Excited for this one. Oceans Eleven (and to a hella lesser extent Thirteen) were fun heist ensemble flicks. Adding a redneck twist to the genre sounds great. And Craig looks so good in here

kswiston

I had planned on bumping this today or tomorrow, now that we are closer to release. Thanks for doing so.

I updated the OP with the current RT and MC scores. The scores have dropped some from the initial batch, but still quite positive.

Saw it last night.. fun movie with great cast.. Riley keough 😍 (Had no idea she was Elvis granddaughter )

redneck oceans 11.. gaf will get a kick out of the game of thrones yokes

kevin1025

Banned
It's pretty good! It has some fun moments and some good characterization, it gave me some The Informant vibes in terms of humor and style.

Wasn't a laugh-a-minute comedy, but when it wants to be funny it is damn funny. It's weird I was thinking about the movie afterwards and I kept thinking "I know someone exactly like <character> back home."

I did enjoy how everyone seemed to know each other before the plot started.

Lima

The bit with the prisoners on Game of Thrones was so funny. I was laughing my ass off all the way through that scene. Very relevant to the cultural zeitgeist.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I saw Lucky Logan. It really is Redneck Oceans 11 or Oceans 7-11 if you will. Same mechanitations, different setting. I enjoyed it a lot. Daniel Craig as Joe Bang is *awesome* Plus the best Game of Thrones joke I've yet seen.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Also
Hilary Swank
was a nice surprise. Love the deadpan. Plus I'll watch Dwight Yoakam do anything.

traveler

Not Wario
This movie isn't going to get any attention is it? Just got back and while it hasn't settled yet for me, it's a ton of fun, Craig in particular. Don't let this one pass you by.

Monocle

This movie is damn good. Good story, good humor, good characters. There are so many funny offbeat moments with this cast. I've been recommending Logan Lucky to everyone.

I had a blast seeing this film yesterday! Daniel Craig and Adam Driver stole the show for me. I'd love to see either of them play more comedic characters again sometime down the road.

And oh my god, that Game of Thrones joke was priceless. My dad and I lost it when that scene happened.

kswiston

I updated the review scores in the OP for what will probably be the final time. It's all about WOM now.

I haven't had a chance to see Logan Lucky yet, but I am glad that it seems to be a fun film. Redneck Ocean's Eleven sounds like a good way to waste 2 hours.

Top Bottom