• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Lucky reviews are coming in. 93% on RT and 82 on Metacritic.

I fell asleep at the beginning so I missed the bar fight sequence and the "cauliflower," bit, but it really picked up when the Jimmy started recruiting people for the heist.

kswiston

Whichever mod changed the old RT average in the title to the current tomatometer score could also change the metascore to 78 if they have a few spare seconds. Not that it matters a ton, but we might as well be current.

jacobs34

Saw this with my wife last night. Really enjoyed it. I thought Tatum and Driver were great together, and Daniel Craig looked like he was actually having fun. One thing that really stuck me was how light-handed Soderbergh was with the soundtrack. It was shocking how quiet the film was for the genre, especially given how music filled the Oceans movies were. For a while I thought that there was something wrong with the theatre's sound system.

Symphonic

Saw this with my wife last night. Really enjoyed it. I thought Tatum and Driver were great together, and Daniel Craig looked like he was actually having fun. One thing that really stuck me was how light-handed Soderbergh was with the soundtrack. It was shocking how quiet the film was for the genre, especially given how music filled the Oceans movies were. For a while I thought that there was something wrong with the theatre's sound system.

Definitely felt intentional. Made the characters really stand out and feel more grounded

see5harp

I loved this for the most part. I feel like a few scenes went on longer than they should have - the got and beauty pageant performance were the two most egregious to me - but that might have been the edible. Adam driver, Channing Tatum and Daniel craig were all brilliant. There's a reason Channing Tatum keeps getting work. Daniel Craig deserves a lot more stuff. I will be glad when bond is done because that dude has some really good comedic chops.

I thought it was pretty decent until the last 30 minutes.
Then it became a bit too pretentious for me.

It was also my first use of MoviePass! Definitely recommend that service.

Magilla

Banned
The TV spots made this seem like a comedy and although there were definitely funny parts it felt like a straight heist movie to me. I loved it!

watched it the night before and it's a blast! people in the theater were cracking up hard at some of the jokes. love the way they finish the movie too!

cauliflower!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Can the Academy make a new category for most adorable child actor?

And Craig needs to stop making Bond films and do more stuff like this. He was one of the best things about the film.

dafortune

It was pretty good. Ended up seeing the hitmans bodyguard the same night and I enjoyed that more (very different movies though)

I thought it was pretty decent until the last 30 minutes.
Then it became a bit too pretentious for me.

It was also my first use of MoviePass! Definitely recommend that service.

I used movie pass for the first time to see it as well tonight. I also liked it up until that ending stretch. Introducing a new character in the last 20 minutes to (seemingly) set up a potential sequel was fucking weird.

yeah the last bit didn't really work for me

Idk it wasn't that exciting seeing
Hilary swank
doing a weird monotone voice.. a little too cutesy meta shades of Julia Roberts in oceans 12

also maybe I wasnt paying attention but what was the point of the Katherine Waterston character again?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Idk it wasn't that exciting seeing Hilary swank doing a weird monotone voice.. a little too cutesy meta shades of Julia Roberts in oceans 12

also maybe I wasnt paying attention but what was the point of the Katherine Waterston character again?

Idk it wasn't that exciting seeing Hilary swank doing a weird monotone voice.. a little too cutesy meta shades of Julia Roberts in oceans 12

Yeah her robotic mannerisms didn't play well at all.

And I think Waterstons role simply was a love interest for Tatum? Definitely felt clunky.

Idk it wasn't that exciting seeing
Hilary swank
doing a weird monotone voice.. a little too cutesy meta shades of Julia Roberts in oceans 12

Because a heart throb like Tatum deserves a nice woman to settle down with, obviously.

Xevren

Loved the hell out of this movie, was a ton of fun \with some pretty funny parts in there too. Wish it was doing better.

Although she ends up the obligatory love interest, I think she's there to provide some variety in the characterization, someone who's been to med school and came back to make a difference as opposed to the wider cast of salt-of-the-earth types spinning their wheels in failure, in contrast to the nouveau riche primate represented by Seth MacFarlane's character. This may be the Appalachian region, but not everyone is a badly-tattooed misfit. She doesn't really get to do much in the role, but I felt like one of the aims of the film was to present the gamut of the way of life in the setting, not everything is dirt roads and bad hygiene.

MadeULook

Saw this yesterday. Had a absolutely great time with it. Been mentioned many times, but that prison scene was absolutely hilarious.

Chris R

Really really fun.

Maybe a little longer than it needed to be but it all tied up nicely at the end.

LOVED the
prisoner's requests, HURRY UP GRRM

Arkeband

Banned
Saw this over the weekend - it's pretty funny, but there are only a few scenes that are laugh-out-loud funny. The tone is all over the place where usually you can't tell if it's making fun of these bumblefucks or you're supposed to feel sorry for them, and some humor doesn't seem to fit. (The
GRRM scene
mentioned above)

There are also a few plot points that are straight up mumbled. There are definitely some sour takes left in the movie. The girl helping them in the heist being their sister was basically only made clear near the end.

But even with all of that taken into consideration it was still a fun movie. Kylo Ren and Daniel Craig are a joy to watch.

Lima

I think it was in the last box office thread where someone said that everyone except for Adam Driver was great in this. Nonsense, Driver was good in this too. Legit becoming one of my favorite actors right now. Dude owns and always stars in good movies.

GhaleonEB

Everything having to do with Hillary Swank's character should have been cut.
Especially the last minute of the film. What a buzzkill of an ending.

It brought the 3rd act to a halt, padded the run time by a needless 20 minutes, and was totally disconnected from the rest of the movie. Didn't add tension, wasn't funny and was a jarringly bad decision to keep it in.

Rest of the movie was fun, though. The scene where the brothers turn toward the camera to debate whether to go along with the plan had me laughing for a minute straight. Everyone was great, and the chemistry between Driver and Tatum was genuine.

Daniel Craig stole every scene he was in, and he had serious competition.

I walked out of the theater seriously pissed about that last bit though.

see5harp

Everything having to do with Hillary Swank's character should have been cut.
Especially the last minute of the film. What a buzzkill of an ending.

It brought the 3rd act to a halt, padded the run time by a needless 20 minutes, and was totally disconnected from the rest of the movie. Didn't add tension, wasn't funny and was a jarringly bad decision to keep it in.

Rest of the movie was fun, though. The scene where the brothers turn toward the camera to debate whether to go along with the plan had me laughing for a minute straight. Everyone was great, and the chemistry between Driver and Tatum was genuine.

Daniel Craig stole every scene he was in, and he had serious competition.

I walked out of the theater seriously pissed about that last bit though.

While I agree that most of her scenes could have been cut,
it does sorta fulfill the whole idea of there being a family curse (assuming you choose to interpret it that way). Of course, you could also stretch and make the conclusion that she was in on it.

Sounds like the movie could be doing better box office wise. I really enjoyed it, to a point where I would think that Baby Driver might be the better movie but I had more fun with Logan Lucky? I will say I've been intrigued by Adam Driver up to this point but this performance sealed the deal for me.

Definitely go see it if you get the chance.

HotHamBoy

So I enjoyed the movie, it was funny.

Adam Driver was fantastic.

Seth McFarlane sucks and his whole sublot was useless and felt weirdly shoe-horned in.

The last 20 minutes feel really tacked on and unnecessary. Whatever acting choices Swank was making did not work. I mean, I think I know what she was going for but it was bad.

Overall enjoyable but a lot of really questionable decisions were made in the editing room.

Daniel Craig looked like he was actually having fun.

Far more so than any of the dour Bond films

Movie was great, but that ending.... That was just baffling.

Edit: Wikipedia says there is some sort of idea for a sequel, which I suppose would make the ending a bit more sensible in terms of storytelling.

Saw his tonight and loved it. Tatum, Driver and Craig were all outstanding. They all need to do more comedy.

I agree with the criticism regarding Hilary Swank's accent. What on earth was that? It was the only low point of it all.

Top Bottom