• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Longest train strike in the history of Germany announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

mugwhump

What, they wanna be able to negotiate for people not even in their union?

It`s not as easy as it looks like. It`s actually not about more money or less work. They want the right to speak for other people at the train industry. Why? Because german "politics" want to restrict unions, so that only the biggest union can negotiate on new terms. This would destroy the GDL, but every agreement before that new law stays after the law. Even if they wouldn`t be the biggest union. So the GDL tries to point the gun at the head of the Deutsche Bahn. They have to agree on this term! The other terms weren`t even negotiated to this day!

I´m on the side of the GDL. Strikes suck, but it`s everyones right to strike and choose his own union.

Hmm, I see it's more complicated than that.

oti

Banned
I wish they'd already have their Ersatzverkehrsplan in place. If it's just like the last strike a week ago it would be no biggie for us in Hamburg.

Mendrox

I wish they'd already have their Ersatzverkehrsplan in place. If it's just like the last strike a week ago it would be no biggie for us in Hamburg.

There was a strike last week? Didn't notice at all although I am driving to Altona everyday by train. :p

Strikes suck and cost us time :-( but I also understand the GDL. Well... Let's see how I will get to work tomorrow...

Xando

Took me 60 minutes instead of 30 minutes to get home the last time they went to strike plus the S-Bahn drove at really weird, unconsistent times.

edit: wow so many gaffers from Hamburg.

Xiao Hu

There is a normal bus from Leverkusen to Cologne as well as "Schienenersatzverkehr" busses usually.

Yeah but in his case it is already taking him quite some time to come to Cologne by train (don't ask me why), hence busses will certainly prolong his funny little journey even more. I offered him to stay at my place
though he declined ;(

Btw nice new haircut :3

Savitar

What's with Germany and transportation strikes?

The same thing happens with their airlines. I've gone there a few times and the vast majority there always was rumors of a strike or one had just settled or might happen. It made me paranoid as hell going over since I never knew if I would get stuck somewhere.

nacimento

It`s not as easy as it looks like. It`s actually not about more money or less work. They want the right to speak for other people at the train industry. Why? Because german "politics" want to restrict unions, so that only the biggest union can negotiate on new terms. This would destroy the GDL, but every agreement before that new law stays after the law. Even if they wouldn`t be the biggest union. So the GDL tries to point the gun at the head of the Deutsche Bahn. They have to agree on this term! The other terms weren`t even negotiated to this day!

I´m on the side of the GDL. Strikes suck, but it`s everyones right to strike and choose his own union.

It's GDL's fault that this law was made anyway. It was a reaction to their exaggerated strikes. The train drivers have always been a shitty union just like cockpit and the marburger Bund anyway, unlike the big unions. They never gave a shit about the other workers in their industry before.

cyba89

What's with Germany and transportation strikes?

Not just transportation.
We also had multiple postal office- and daycare-strikes recently.

But these got more backup from the german population than these train strikes. For a lot of people this seems more like a power play between GDL and Deutsche Bahn.

OuterLimits

Wait. Why is getting a Driver's License so expensive in Germany? Wow.

Anyway, hope this is resolved quickly for people who rely on the train.

desu

So does this affect the whole country? I have German lessons Monday-Thursday and if I cant get the train there, I am not sure how else.

Depending on where you are the strike will be vastly different (in the east we had like 99% missing trains, I hear its better in the south). Usually the DB organizes busses an so on, just check the emergency time table (which should be up at some point today).

Mendrox

Anyway, hope this is resolved quickly for people who rely on the train.

Good question, I've paid 1200 Euros 6 or 7 years ago. Even that was much back then (but I've saved some drive hours with promotions). It really gets more expensive every year.

scamander

Banned

You have to go to theoretical classes and take driving lessons with licensed, private operated and profit oriented driving schools. Those use cars that can be controlled in emergencies from the passenger's side by the driving instructor, which make it even more expensive, since those alone are pretty expensive and have to be replaced every few years. I also imagine that the insurance fees driving schools have to pay are high as fuck.

Rektash

Freaking hate this. My mom and dad are on a citytrip in Dresden and had to travel 6 hours by car to get there. They already bought their train tickets and had to cancel them because of this. They are in their mid sixties. I am getting uncomfortable at the thought of them traveling 6 hours by car. I feel they are starting to get too old for this shit. Naturally they don't agree.

Lucumo

Depending on where you are the strike will be vastly different (in the east we had like 99% missing trains, I hear its better in the south). Usually the DB organizes busses an so on, just check the emergency time table (which should be up at some point today).

That's exaggerated. It's more like 65-70%.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Meanwhile in France's busiest station.

xwVR5iE.jpg

TCRS

Banned
that fucking piece of shit leader of the union didn't get enough attention during his childhood or something. fuck that cunt, arrest him or something. jesus christ.

Condom

that fucking piece of shit leader of the union didn't get enough attention during his childhood or something. fuck that cunt, arrest him or something. jesus christ.
Or maybe just give in to their demands? We don't live in the 70s, Unions have reasonable demands these days.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Automated trains are the future anyway. They can fight for their union now, but progress will not halt before them. A dying breed.

Condom

Like being able to speak for people who belong to another rival union?
Yes. I think it's stupid the other union isn't also striking (AFAIK).

Proper unions should work together for improvement for all the workers.
Just the term 'rival union' says enough, workers should unite not compete.

They will not get their demands.

All they are achieving is to demonstrate why that new law has to be implemented. To prevent small (but critical) unions to strike on their own while the majority of the employees is represented by another union.

The will use up all their resources even though it's futile.

(and when the law passed, their powerhungry leader will try to get a leader position in a union that can still do shit. Putting on his resume what an awesome hard-ass negotiator he is)

why would the other union strike? They only have to care about negotiating better conditions for the work force.The reason for GDL striking is because they are afraid of losing their power.
If it was just about better work conditions, the DB would have agreed long ago. But they will not give GDL more power itself.

Joni

The other union isn't striking because this union is taking power away from them. Unions work together when they both want the same, in this case the bigger union is saying the smaller union is going against the interests of their members. So if they striked, they would be making things worse.

Belgium had something that illustrates this very well, happen to the police. One small union was trying to get the pension age for a certain group lowered. It was for specific reasons higher than for the other groups. The bigger unions were saying the smaller union was stupid and striking/court cases/... were a bad idea. It ended with a judge deciding everyone should be treated the same, so he raised the pension age for everybody. In this case, the bigger unions had no reason to help the smaller one as they knew it would end badly.

Patrick S.

Banned
Holy shit. German railways are a fucking shame. A friend of mine commutes to work by train, and this week alone, the train that he takes has had delays of around half an hour three damn times.

Tickets are becoming more and more expensive all the time, and all the while the quality of service is deteriorating.

Nightbird

Holy shit. German railways are a fucking shame. A friend of mine commutes to work by train, and this week alone, the train that he takes has had delays of around half an hour three damn times.

Tickets are becoming more and more expensive all the time, and all the while the quality of service is deteriorating.

Sadly that's the Norm. Trains being always late (even outside of strikes) while prices for tickets grow higher is nothing new, but what can we do against that

Mendrox

Nah fuck that shit. I am late to work almost everyday... now it will be even worse. Hamburg Harburg is also such a shitty place because you never get a place to sit and it is too full in the mornings. D:

Patrick S.

Banned
Sadly that's the Norm. Trains being always late (even outside of strikes) while prices for tickets grow higher is nothing new, but what can we do against that

My friend is buying a car. One customer lost for DB. He is taking the train an hour before the one he could use to arrive at work a couple minutes early, and then he has to hang around the shady train station for an hour every night, just because the trains are so unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom