• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like major changes coming to Pokemon GO's tracking system...

I, for one, am shocked that a developer breaking support for something and removing a broken feature was done so they could overhaul and improve the functionality of the game. SHOCKED.

Maybe this will teach people to quit screaming at the earliest stage of an issue.

They didn't really help their own cause by not communicating at all about the issue for several weeks. Of course people were going to jump to conclusions!

A simple "we are working on an improved tracking system" would have calmed a lot of people. I know they eventually did say something to that effect, but that was weeks after the 3 step bug.

JoeM86

I still prefer the original tracking for GO, where it actually had you hunting and exploring as footprints decreased. That was lots of fun.

Darryl

Banned
I, for one, am shocked that a developer breaking support for something and removing a broken feature was done so they could overhaul and improve the functionality of the game. SHOCKED.

Maybe this will teach people to quit screaming at the earliest stage of an issue.

people were just upset cuz they were hyped and wanted to justify their PokeVision usage. and they couldn't find a way of externalizing how bored they were getting. it was always obviously going to be fixed. it's hilarious thinking about how broken this game was at launch - having to hard restart the game every minute on some days - and people mostly ignored the problems. during all this it went on to become the number one mobile game of all time. then when all those problems were finally fixed and the game was playable that the criticism finally reached an overwhelming mass

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

God this kind of snarky post is annoying

Hikami

So it only shows you Pokemon at Pokestops? eh..

Just bring back the tracking the game launched with.

KingBroly

Banned
I dunno, giving you the direct general area of where to find a pokemon is better than pinpointing yourself in every direction.

They're still going to have to do something for wild Pokemon, though. I imagine they'll try something similar to this after rolling out the Poke Stop version out to everyone.

ggx2ac

Well, I was concerned with how long they would take to fix the issue. I saw on Twitter how bad things were going once the tracker and 3rd party trackers were shut down.

Of course that wasn't for me playing the game since I don't. It was moreso for my predictions and the worst case scenario for me is if Pachter would be right when I need this thing to succeed... For reasons as mentioned for my predictions but that's written on another site.

Toki767

I dunno, giving you the direct general area of where to find a pokemon is better than pinpointing yourself in every direction.

The actual hunting was part of the fun in my opinion. Seeing something on your radar and then tracking it successfully was really satisfying.

dity

Oh you changed your avatar, I forgot you are the person who thinks that this game isn't meant for people outside of cities.

Omg lol. I don't even live in a city. I said in the past that if you're super rural you might just have to suck it up, because all location-based games don't work very well in areas with a low population count at all. No amount of whining will really change that. Niantic can't magic the problem away.

This isn't true at all, Pokemon spawn everywhere. I drive to the park a few times a week to restock on items but the vast majority of my catches are done in the suburbs.
Then why do people who live rurally cry and scream so much if this isn't a problem like you're making it out to be?

Pokemon spawn in higher concerntration near or between stops. That's just how it is.

wiibomb

wow, this is actually a pretty nice change-

I still don't have the update, it isn't rolling out for everyone?

I still prefer the original tracking for GO, where it actually had you hunting and exploring as footprints decreased. That was lots of fun.

I personally had way too much time wasted looking for a pokemon I never found, so I really wanted the new tracking to at least have general direction.

Ivellios

So are they going to include a way to track pokemons on the grass? i think this is a step in the right direction but we need to have a way to track pokemons outsides the areas of pokestops too, i think

Darryl

Banned
The original tracking was still way better. This is definitely a downgraded "solution".

I think their Google roots is causing them problems. they're probably trying to calculate distances using Google maps walking distance (which is probably more accurate to use since it takes a lot more things into account - like inaccessible areas. in cities with lots of buildings), but it likely involved too much work server-side with how fast their user base scaled up.

they could do a simple solution and calculate it all on the client, but it involves a lot of moving backwards rather than fixing the problems and moving forwards. this solution ATM is a great middle ground that buys them some more time to fix the original tracking system.

Skeff

I seem to have had my tracking updated and currently at home before work, the new system is no help without pokestops. I will see how it pans out in the city centre.

To clarify, when you click on the Pokemon to track it the tracker directs to the pokestop? And then it tells you whether it's one/two steps from the stop?

marrec

Banned
This seems like a big step backwards, especially for those who aren't within walking distance of Pokestops.

q8xfTIS.jpg

Definitely makes up for the broken tracker. Hope this rolls out soon.

Bamboo 竹;212948268 said:
People who live on suburbs as me should start sending Niantic some PokeStops and Gyms suggestions instead of complaining here.

They stopped accepting suggestions of any kind some years ago when Ingress suggestion volume because too big for them to handle. They never resumed accepting suggestions after that.

Credit where credit's due: this is a much more extensive set of improvements than I expected and if this does wind up rolling out to the general player base it'll pretty much solve my problems straight-up. Definitely at least tentatively impressed here.

I actually like the new tracking system, it's not too bad. I am confused though, I had a 5km egg that was about to hatch that was 4.5/5.0 which went down to 3.6/5.0 after the patch. That's weird. I'm pretty sure it was 4.5 at least. Anyone else notice anything like this?

adamy

Banned
They stopped accepting suggestions of any kind some years ago when Ingress suggestion volume because too big for them to handle. They never resumed accepting suggestions after that.

not true

they've been accepting, reviewing, and implementing removal suggestions

i've literally witnessed the removal process firsthand

Credit where credit's due: this is a much more extensive set of improvements than I expected and if this does wind up rolling out to the general player base it'll pretty much solve my problems straight-up. Definitely at least tentatively impressed here.

Yeah I feel the same way. I expected something much more bare bones.

I know there were a lot of people were frothing at the mouth when Pokevision and such went down, but it seemed like such an obvious stop gap solution. And I really do believe that those services were probably contributing to their network/server issues. Seems pretty obvious since they seemed to work by spoofing a client and probably borderline DDOS blasting the servers.

Looking forward to trying this in my neighborhood once it is updated.

Lijik

As someone who lives right by an area riddled with pokestops this works out well enough for me

Interested in how itll play out in areas where thats not the case.

Durden77

I see that and it might be a way for them to release Legendary Pokemon like they previewed in the trailer now that they have this tool

"MEWTWO IS AT LIBRARY MEWTWO IS AT THE FUCKING LIBRARY."

The amount of people that would flock...

Yeah all things considered, this is a pretty brilliant update to the tracker considering this game's real strength is socialization. Hit the nail on the head. Can't wait for this in Atlanta.

not true

they've been accepting, reviewing, and implementing removal suggestions

i've literally witnessed the removal process firsthand

Sorry, I meant addition suggestions.

You are correct, not only are they removing Pokestops, they are more or less doing it without even checking the validity of the request. The Pokemon Go subreddit is up in arms because people are literally trolling each other by getting Pokestops removed, like students at one college purposely submitted removal requests for all the Pokestops at their rival school to be assholes to them.

Niantic sure knows how to manage this game.

They really need to hire some more people to handle adding new Pokestops as there's so many good spots for them, and it sounds like people are losing a lot of them too. (Even if in bad spots.)

pringles

Maybe the tracking near Pokestops is to stop people from falling off cliffs and trespassing?
It's seems like a great solution for tracking in the middle of cities, if they just combine it with a footsteps system for the 'sightings' it's pretty much perfect imo.

Top Bottom