• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like major changes coming to Pokemon GO's tracking system...

Nibel

Niantic dem gawds
banderasqvoft.png

Hope that new tracking feature will be available WW soon (and not break the game)

itshutton

This is a huge game changer. I lost an Aerodactyl yesterday after walking around the same area for 30 minutes! Hopefully never again.

FYI, The pokestop nearness tracking is ONLY for select USERS.

AKA if you think you are gonna log in and have this you are almost certainly gonna be disappointed.

Mik2121

No beta not anything, just a normal user here.
I logged in and now I see "sightings" with the new grass image and the Pokemon overlaid on top of it.

Guess they are rolling it out for everybody now?

JavyOO7

No beta not anything, just a normal user here.
I logged in and now I see "sightings" with the new grass image and the Pokemon overlaid on top of it.

Guess they are rolling it out for everybody now?

The sightings everyone will see. The 'nearby' section is for select users only for time being.

elyetis

behold suddenly it's bad because it doesn't solve a completely separate lack-of-Pokestop problem in rural areas and was apparently the best not in the first week anymore, but in bloody beta?
It's no longer a completely separate problem when the new tracking design is based on pokestops.

Par Score

Oh good, just make the game better and better for people in big cities surrounded by Pokestops.

All of us playing in smaller cities, towns and villages, or in the suburbs can just do one I guess. Rural players? What are they? Niantic sure as hell doesn't know.

This is total garbage and takes the game further and further away from it's promise. Would it not make infinitely more sense to have areas with more stops have less pokemon, and vice versa? That way city types get the advantage of items but have to come out to the sticks to actually catch anything good, and those of us away from the bright lights of civilization get easy access to good Pokemon but have to head to a town to stock up.

Y'know. Like in every Pokemon game.

I think it's also to cut down on tresspassing, with the old system you could find dead bodies, get shot for stepping on someones private property or fall off a cliff, at least with the new system you can control where the stampede will go by adding or removing pokestops.

Great point!

butzopower

proud of his butz
I feel like AR social games will always be made for people who live in cities.

What if your small town did have a gym in it, are you going to blame Niantic that there aren't enough people living near you to fight at it? What about when they add battling?

I saw a lot of the same complaints about StreetPass, people in small towns being upset about the games requiring other people to be near them. It's the nature of augmented reality, reality is an input to it, and so your surroundings WILL affect your experience.

yllekz

Banned
Waiting for a "sighting" to be a pokemon spotted superimposed over a dick pic then Niantic takes the feature away.

Uthred

It's the nature of augmented reality, reality is an input to it, and so your surroundings WILL affect your experience.

Yep, thats why in all the other Pokemon games we wandered city streets looking for Pokemon.

How your surroundings affect the experience is entirely in the hands of the developers, theres no reason it has to be dogshit outside built up urban areas.

aBarreras

Yep, thats why in all the other Pokemon games we wandered city streets looking for Pokemon.

How your surroundings affect the experience is entirely in the hands of the developers, theres no reason it has to be dogshit outside built up urban areas.

of course there is a reason to be dogshit, can you imagine the work required to every suburb on every city on every country on every continet?! thats the reason they used INGRESS Data,

if you want pokestops around your neighborhood (beating the porpuse of the game of going out) then wait until you can nominate places to be pokestops

At some point you just have to admit that nothing Niantic does will make you happy. What ends up happening ever will never be up to your expectations.

You and some others just keep moving to find new things to get agitated about. First it was communication, then the trackers, and now that they've delivered on their word lo and behold suddenly it's bad because it doesn't solve a completely separate lack-of-Pokestop problem in rural areas and was apparently the best not in the first week anymore, but in bloody beta?
Maybe it has more to do with the fact that this isn't tracking, and is actually just telling you which Pokestop currently has a Pokemon at it? There's still no way to track down actual nearby Pokémon like there was at launch.

But no, Niantic can do no wrong. It is a Pokémon game after all.

I played a shit ton at launch. I hit level 20, then slowed down because the weather outside disagreed with what I wanted to do, then they removed tracking and I stopped playing altogether. Now they're adding an inferior tracking method, and all the fanboys are saying it's better than before.

of course there is a reason to be dogshit, can you imagine the work required to every suburb on every city on every country on every continet?! thats the reason they used INGRESS Data,

if you want pokestops around your neighborhood (beating the porpuse of the game of going out) then wait until you can nominate places to be pokestops
This is the kind of feature to include at launch. They haven't even suggested they would be adding it. The last and only thing they said was they were considering adding it back into Ingress.

What if your small town did have a gym in it, are you going to blame Niantic that there aren't enough people living near you to fight at it? What about when they add battling?

I saw a lot of the same complaints about StreetPass, people in small towns being upset about the games requiring other people to be near them. It's the nature of augmented reality, reality is an input to it, and so your surroundings WILL affect your experience.
I don't know anybody whose begging for more gyms to be added to the game. Gyms aren't essential to progressing through the game. Pokestops are.

Oh good, just make the game better and better for people in big cities surrounded by Pokestops.

All of us playing in smaller cities, towns and villages, or in the suburbs can just do one I guess. Rural players? What are they? Niantic sure as hell doesn't know.

This is total garbage and takes the game further and further away from it's promise. Would it not make infinitely more sense to have areas with more stops have less pokemon, and vice versa? That way city types get the advantage of items but have to come out to the sticks to actually catch anything good, and those of us away from the bright lights of civilization get easy access to good Pokemon but have to head to a town to stock up.

This would probably be beneficial to them in the long run as well. As it stands, I'm assuming more people living in cities play this game than in other areas, and if a majority of the players have no problem with running low on Pokeballs because there's a Pokestop around every corner, they're less likely to make any money off them.

This is a huge game changer. I lost an Aerodactyl yesterday after walking around the same area for 30 minutes! Hopefully never again.
Unless that Aerodactyl is located on top of a Pokestop, this won't help you find it.

Don't know is if this has been mentioned, but I was riding passenger in a car with Pokemon Go on and the game detected my speed and gave me a message to confirm that I was in fact the passenger and not driving while playing.

Adaren

I still wish the game rewarded you for going out into the "wilderness" on hikes and stuff instead of just camping, but meh. A thousand times better than how it currently is.

I guess the people talking about the game doing nothing for rural areas say the same thing when cities get more government funding, more services, more transit, more restaurants, and higher cost of living expenses.

Lijik

Tried out the new sightings system and people in rural/low pokestop areas have a right to be upset, if this is all you have to rely on its worse than the old system in every way. Less pokemon with less frequent appearences

butzopower

proud of his butz

Let me know the next time you find yourself in a cave somewhere with good enough phone signal to start catching some Geodudes. Just don't think video game logic will port over to AR.

I'm in a city, though, so I'm not actually feeling your pain, and I'm sure it does make the game much less enjoyable not having easy access to items. Half the poke stops I hit, I can't even get items since my bags full, it'd be cool if I could donate my excess stuff to other players or something.

I live near a few poke stops but that's only if I walk towards my town, most other directions are empty spaces and all I catch right now are rattatas and pidgeys.

This updated pokemon tracker isn't going to help me much at all.

AdanVC

Why haven't seen this? This is exactly what tracking should be!! Hope they release it ASAP! Getting hyped for Go once again :')

elyetis

How is giving the same level of tracking efficiency to every pokemon not just those at pokestop, more work ?
if you want pokestops around your neighborhood (beating the porpuse of the game of going out)
It so reward that purpose that it encourage you to find the place with the least distance between the highest amount of pokestop, first because the cooldown on pokestop is soo incredibly small, and now because it's where you will be able to waste the least amount of time to catch pokemon you are interested in since pokestop will also offer better tracking.
You know what is pretty much not rewarded ? going out on a 10km run, on a road ( known by google map, so their API know it's a road, so they could choose to spawn pokemons there, not hand pick it aka more work, as a automated process ) if that road is slightly out of a city.
At that point their next step should be to make egg not based on distance traveled, but on number of pokestop activated; I'm pretty sure some people could defend it. It's an AR game what did you expect ?

Cudder

Don't know is if this has been mentioned, but I was riding passenger in a car with Pokemon Go on and the game detected my speed and gave me a message to confirm that I was in fact the passenger and not driving while playing.

The irony is that this is only going to cause more accidents because drivers playing Pokemon GO now have additional dialogue boxes to manage.

Acerac

Banned
At some point you just have to admit that nothing Niantic does will make you happy. What ends up happening ever will never be up to your expectations.

You and some others just keep moving to find new things to get agitated about. First it was communication, then the trackers, and now that they've delivered on their word lo and behold suddenly it's bad because it doesn't solve a completely separate lack-of-Pokestop problem in rural areas and was apparently the best not in the first week anymore, but in bloody beta?
We want the game to work as well as it did when it released. I've seldom met somebody who posts so much but is so uninterested in hearing what the other party has to say. We've been excessively clear about this.

It reminds me of trying to talk TheYanger when discussing the differences between classic and modern WoW. At a certain point there is no longer any debate to be had, as we've made our points dozens of times but you still seem to go out of your way to not understand it.

Pokestops themselves emit a pulse. So I imagine any pokemon you're currently tracking will be inside that pulse.

CpY9u5YUMAApy3r.jpg
Can anyone confirm is they are always inside this area?

If it is, isn't this nothing more than a glorified map? Game shows a list of nearby Pokestops... tap the Pokestop, get told exactly where to go, then the radar shows exactly where the Pokemon is?

Chaos17

Can anyone confirm is they are always inside this area?

If it is, isn't this nothing more than a glorified map? Game shows a list of nearby Pokestops... tap the Pokestop, get told exactly where to go, then the radar shows exactly where the Pokemon is?

Yes.
Take is as mix of Pokevision and old hunting system. People who want to hunt specific pokemons in their list can rely on Pokespots while others want to play vanilla will rely on sighting.

8bit

Knows the Score
The irony is that this is only going to cause more accidents because drivers playing Pokemon GO now have additional dialogue boxes to manage.

Then maybe they should pay attention to the warning and not play the game while driving?

Whoa, this is way more generous than I expected. Pretty great as it still makes you walk around but at least not entirely aimlessly like before.

I feel the pain of ruralGAF though, yet again those without pokestops are kind of screwed. :/

Koh

Yes, it's a problem for people who live miles from the next person, but the game has issues serving city suburbs too. That's not some small minority. I don't think your post captures that reality.

There are poke stops here, but generally miles between them. This tracking won't do much for us.

Fox Mulder

The game is built for city play. More people filled out Ingress locations, you get a fuckload more items, there's safe public spaces to walk, and you don't have to drive as much.

They likely don't want people roaming the woods and rural areas even though it would make more sense to find more pokemon there.

Yes, it's a problem for people who live miles from the next person, but the game has issues serving city suburbs too. That's not some small minority. I don't think your post captures that reality.

There are poke stops here, but generally miles between them. This tracking won't do much for us.

On the one hand, you have people asking for pokestops and gyms to be taken down because they're people's homes, instead of quasi-public spaces and buildings. On the other hand, you have suburban and rural people crying for more pokestops.

Not that there couldn't be more pokestops in those areas--seems like lots of people in this thread have talked about places in their small towns and suburbs that could work as a pokestop but aren't marked as one yet. But at some point, there is an upper limit on how many pokestops you're going to get, and that's entirely up to the built form of the place you live in. When nearly everything around you is private property with no expectation of public or even semi-public access, like the residential cul de sacs of a suburb, where exactly do you expect pokemon and pokestops to be placed without incurring the wrath of the people who own those properties?

pringles

Would it not make infinitely more sense to have areas with more stops have less pokemon, and vice versa? That way city types get the advantage of items but have to come out to the sticks to actually catch anything good, and those of us away from the bright lights of civilization get easy access to good Pokemon but have to head to a town to stock up..
I'm sorry but that is a terrible idea both from a business sense and a gameplay sense.

City folk have tons of items, with nothing to use them on. Frustration.
Rural folk have tons of pokemon, but no items. Frustration.

You also have to realize the technical limitations. Just think about writing code for where pokemon spawn globally. It has to be infinitely easier to write an algorithm that focuses on densely populated areas, parks, intersections, schools etc. rather than one that randomly places pokemon far away from roads or landmarks.

And for what it's worth, some of the most rare pokemon I've caught have been in rural areas or the suburbs. I live in a small town and have a pokedex of 122. One of 3 Charmanders that I've caught was in a town with a population of about 50. The only Pikachu I've ever seen in the wild was in a suburban area 5-10 minutes by car away from the closest pokestop. I think the game works surprisingly well away from big cities.

SuomiDude

Tried out the new sightings system and people in rural/low pokestop areas have a right to be upset, if this is all you have to rely on its worse than the old system in every way. Less pokemon with less frequent appearences
My experience is way better. Sure there's less Pokémon showing on the radar now, but from what I understand it's because it now doesn't show Pokémon that really aren't there anymore unlike the old system. So in other words now what you see on the radar, are Pokémon that actually are nearby, no more, no less. And I've caught way more not-so-common Pokémon now than before the update. When before it was like 1 uncommon vs. 30 common Pokémon. It's now more like 1 uncommon vs 15 common Pokémon in the same period of time spent walking (and I go basically the same routes every day).

bryehn

I live within 3 minutes of 3 pokestops and a gym and all I saw was pidgey and ratatta "sightings". Nothing to track.

We do get some rare ones around at night, will go check again later.

udivision

I live within 3 minutes of 3 pokestops and a gym and all I saw was pidgey and ratatta "sightings". Nothing to track.

We do get some rare ones around at night, will go check again later.

You don't live in the right neighborhood.

The tracking is for a few beta testers (basically).

dity

It's no longer a completely separate problem when the new tracking design is based on pokestops.

Bullocks, there's a Sightings section that so far seems to work perfectly fine.

Maybe it has more to do with the fact that this isn't tracking, and is actually just telling you which Pokestop currently has a Pokemon at it? There's still no way to track down actual nearby Pokémon like there was at launch.

But no, Niantic can do no wrong. It is a Pokémon game after all.

I played a shit ton at launch. I hit level 20, then slowed down because the weather outside disagreed with what I wanted to do, then they removed tracking and I stopped playing altogether. Now they're adding an inferior tracking method, and all the fanboys are saying it's better than before.

Ironic considering that apparently websites like Pokevision were apparently the best way to play, and they did almost exactly that.

Unless you hit level 20 in a week, there's been no proper tracking officially in Go! for most of the time it has been active. Plus Niantic doesn't control the weather.

We want the game to work as well as it did when it released. I've seldom met somebody who posts so much but is so uninterested in hearing what the other party has to say. We've been excessively clear about this.

It reminds me of trying to talk TheYanger when discussing the differences between classic and modern WoW. At a certain point there is no longer any debate to be had, as we've made our points dozens of times but you still seem to go out of your way to not understand it.

Weren't you going to put me on ignore?

Also you're aware that I can understand your point but not agree with it, yeah? That that is a thing?

Top Bottom