• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like major changes coming to Pokemon GO's tracking system...

Chaos17

Quick gif I made to demonstrate

n7ipj57.gif
Niantic finaly woke up!!
YAY!

Edit: just to clarify
San Fansisco players have been invited to test the new tracker feature, at the moment majority of players only have the grass.

PaulLFC

I'm impressed. May get me to check the game out again when this is live.

You can't do that anymore. They're not accepting submissions at this time.
Not to mention they did nothing with them anyway. I never saw any variation in the number of Pokestops while I was playing. I requested more local ones to try and make the game worth playing in our local area, but nothing changed.

Inside

Cant wait to try this!

Just downloaded the new update and the UI speed is greatly improved. No lag when scrolling through my Pokemon (im on android)

mugwhump

I think their Google roots is causing them problems. they're probably trying to calculate distances using Google maps walking distance (which is probably more accurate to use since it takes a lot more things into account - like inaccessible areas. in cities with lots of buildings), but it likely involved too much work server-side with how fast their user base scaled up.

they could do a simple solution and calculate it all on the client, but it involves a lot of moving backwards rather than fixing the problems and moving forwards. this solution ATM is a great middle ground that buys them some more time to fix the original tracking system.

I really doubt it, pretty sure the "steps" were always as the crow flies, not walking distances.

Gotta find a way to not get sued somehow.
They're still going to have to do something for wild Pokemon, though. I imagine they'll try something similar to this after rolling out the Poke Stop version out to everyone.

Eh. I kinda suspect a reason they're only letting you pinpoint pokemon near stops is because they don't want people going through private property or dangerous areas while pursuing something on their radar. That might get them in trouble.

Chuckie

I read about this on the biggest Dutch news site...and guess what...NeoGAF was actually mentioned (and linked to) in the article.

Nu.nl

T3OLRZn.jpg

Waldini

I read about this on the biggest Dutch news site...and guess what...NeoGAF was actually mentioned (and linked to) in the article.

Nu.nl

T3OLRZn.jpg

NU.nl ain't big son... I'll show you somet...

No. Sorry. Got carried away.

It's good that Niantec is doing something with the tracking function. I feel like most of us, who aren't living in big cities will be forgotten :(

mugwhump

If you read correctly the OP, in fact it also benefit rural and sub rural because you can still click on nerby pokemon and it's location will be pointed on your map. It's not (it seems) pokespot only.

This is false as far as I can tell. He said

Pressing on a pokemon under "Sightings" gives a generic message now. Wonder if they'll provide some sort of tracking for that.

Zelias

Banned
No Nearby for me, just Sightings. Hope they roll this out properly soon, it looks cool.

If this is their system going forward and it's so heavily reliant on Pokestops, they really need to sort out rural areas though. It's fine for me - I live in a city, but I can see how people out in the sticks would be frustrated.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This looks great! Finally I can actually find some Pokemon (that aren't just from randomly walking around). There are Pokestops everyfuckingwhere where I live (Gothenburg, Sweden), so this should be good for me. Not live yet, right?

Mafro

So this method being tested fucks over rural players and the footstep method was actually better for them. Cool.

Uthred

So it only shows you Pokemon at Pokestops? eh..

Just bring back the tracking the game launched with.

Seems like a terrible idea, finding Pokemon "in the wild" was the best (only decent) part of the app. Walking in a circle around a Pokestop doesnt really compare.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is still worse than the state the game actually launched on for rural players. I have one Pokestop within a 10 minute walk; the ability to find things within the radius of Pokestop is not useful to me compared to the 3 footstep system.

Fox Mulder

fucking finally.

Now the game can become fun again.

We'll see.

I deleted the game due to no tracking and everything popping out of balls and running away.

This is still worse than the state the game actually launched on for rural players. I have one Pokestop within a 10 minute walk; the ability to find things within the radius of Pokestop is not useful to me compared to the 3 footstep system.

The game just isn't built for rural people.

Chaos17

How do I get the update? I need this!

It's only available for a few beta testers in america at the moment, also something people must keep in mind the gif in the OP is ONLY for nearby pokemons so pokemon near pokespots.
Pokemons in Sighting will need to be hunted like before but yet the tracker has been improuved. Now it scan every 10 sec in a radius of 200 m. Not sure if it's around you or in front of you.

N.Grim

B-b-but Niantic hate costumers, they want the game broken, they are swimming in money instead of working on the game...

Moff

wait, so you click on the pokemon on the near screen and it shows you on the zoomed out map where it is? that's amazing

Kinokou

Quick gif I made to demonstrate

n7ipj57.gif

Cool thank you.

However this is kind of a terrible feature the way it's implemented. It actually gives the location of pokemon who are way out of the radius, so it's a double perk to people swimming in pokestops as they get better directions and a bigger radius than people who don't.

And did they swap the names? Calling stops so far away nearby and things close to you as sightings is really weird.

Lucifon

This seems absolutely crap for anyone who doesn't live in a city. I have one Pokestop within a few mile radius of me, so pokestop tracking is practically useless.

SuomiDude

As someone with only 2 pokestop around him at best, people were right.
So you're saying Niantic isn't doing anything to improve the game? Although it clearly can be seen that they do improve the game for majority of users. Sorry that you happen to live in a place where there's so few Pokéstops, but that doesn't change the fact that Niantic is indeed improving the app.

disap.ed

yay another pokemon go feature that will be great for city players but is a giant middle finger to anyone in an area without a lot of pokestops.

:/

QFT. I don't have a single Pokestop nor gym in the village I live in and suggestion form is offline :(

So you're saying Niantic isn't doing anything to improve the game? Although it clearly can be seen that they do improve the game for majority of users. Sorry that you happen to live in a place where there's so few Pokéstops, but that doesn't change the fact that Niantic is indeed improving the app.

Nobody is saying that this isn't a most welcome addition to the game, only that a lot of players won't be helped by it.

MrHoot

B-b-but Niantic hate costumers, they want the game broken, they are swimming in money instead of working on the game...

Let's not get on the "Niantic did nothing wrong !" train yet. This is reintroducing a basic feature from the game that should've been working since the beginning. Them not doing this would've been nothing less than outrageous. Not gonna feel grateful for them basically repairing a basic feature.

And like others have said, it's still far from perfect, especially for rural players, and there's a plethora of other basic problems which makes the game far from being what it was initially advertised.

So for Pokemon that have been "sighted" in your area tracking still doesn't give you an approximation where said Pokemon are? How fun.
Though they're greatly improving the tracking system, Niantic is still kinda screwing over anyone in the burbs and rural areas.

Will wait for future updates.

Why are there so many ignorant statements like this being posted? Do you know what you're responding to? Did you read the thread title and immediately come charging in to defend the game without understanding what's being changed?

We're getting a gimped version of a feature we had at launch that wasn't even as good as the feature we had in beta.

The game is getting slightly better than it was three weeks ago when they made it worse than it was at launch.

Not sure what to think of this. It looks like a really cool, slick feature, but the emphasis on leading people to Pokéstops and only classifying "Nearby" Pokémon as those at Pokéstops is probably going to change how people play the game.

The old system didn't make that distinction, and saw you effectively triangulate where a Pokémon might be from the footprints. That's not coming back now, and it's clear the emphasis is on "Nearby" rather than "Sighted".

It's a cool feature and one that changes how everyone plays the game, but I do wonder if existing partners (like McDonalds) have had some sort of input into it. It makes sense to drive players to Pokéstops for more things if it increases Niantic and TPC's chances of getting another deal like the one in Japan.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Boom. That's way better than the previous step method.

jchap

Rurual Virginia is the best. Every little town around me has tons of pokestops cause of all the presidents that were born around here or they are on John Wilkes Booth's flight path.

Jacknapes

Looks great, hopefully it rolls out pretty soon for us all. Have noticed the Pokemon frequency around my area has dropped.

Alej

Banned
Just add an update here in France. I see sighted now instead of nearby. But I don't have anything else new.

Moff

I really hope they let you track pokemon in the wild the same way as the ones near pokestops in the future, that's exactly what this game needed, but only near pokestops is too limited and doesn't make sense, even for areas with several pokestops

Steroyd

Not sure what to think of this. It looks like a really cool, slick feature, but the emphasis on leading people to Pokéstops and only classifying "Nearby" Pokémon as those at Pokéstops is probably going to change how people play the game.

The old system didn't make that distinction, and saw you effectively triangulate where a Pokémon might be from the footprints. That's not coming back now, and it's clear the emphasis is on "Nearby" rather than "Sighted".

It's a cool feature and one that changes how everyone plays the game, but I do wonder if existing partners (like McDonalds) have had some sort of input into it. It makes sense to drive players to Pokéstops for more things if it increases Niantic and TPC's chances of getting another deal like the one in Japan.

I think it's also to cut down on tresspassing, with the old system you could find dead bodies, get shot for stepping on someones private property or fall off a cliff, at least with the new system you can control where the stampede will go by adding or removing pokestops.

Moff

I think it's also to cut down on tresspassing, with the old system you could find dead bodies, get shot for stepping on someones private property or fall off a cliff, at least with the new system you can control where the stampede will go by adding or removing pokestops.

that makes a lot of sense

dity

Why are there so many ignorant statements like this being posted? Do you know what you're responding to? Did you read the thread title and immediately come charging in to defend the game without understanding what's being changed?

We're getting a gimped version of a feature we had at launch that wasn't even as good as the feature we had in beta.

The game is getting slightly better than it was three weeks ago when they made it worse than it was at launch.

At some point you just have to admit that nothing Niantic does will make you happy. What ends up happening ever will never be up to your expectations.

You and some others just keep moving to find new things to get agitated about. First it was communication, then the trackers, and now that they've delivered on their word lo and behold suddenly it's bad because it doesn't solve a completely separate lack-of-Pokestop problem in rural areas and was apparently the best not in the first week anymore, but in bloody beta?

Top Bottom