• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

drotahorror

So, how hard is it folks?

I think it's pretty tough. As hard as DkS2 to me. I thought DkS2 was easy compared to Dark Souls 1 though.

I'm dual wielding, running the Deception magic tree. Certain enemies will wreck your face especially if you're not where you're supposed to be.

Joco

I've tried to play a full rogue and I failed miserably. Something seems off with the roll to me. I feel like I time my roll perfectly yet my enemy slides forward enough to have be out of harms way.

Then again it could be the Framerate that makes it so difficult to play rogue. Instead I chose to put a 1 hand sword & shield on him so I can be fluid yet effective. Not feeling the daggers in this.

The game does seem to have somewhat poor hit detection. Speculation on my part of course, but rogue is the class that suffers the most from this, as the necessity for quick rolls and precision with little ability to absorb damage becomes difficult. I experienced the same thing as you, feeling like I rolled out of the way many times during enemy attacks, yet the enemy still manages to hit me.

Warrior might be considered easy mode for this game but if I continue struggling with rogue tomorrow I might give it a try.

Question for people who have beaten the third boss (not a story spoiler but don't want to ruin the surprise of meeting new enemies for some players):

So after you entered the pathway, there is this new enemy with a huge polearm, and I can't figure out how to kill him. Every time I empty his health bar, he just kneels down and draws some kind of red energy from two giant stones and get back to full health. I tried to destroy the stones but couldn't. What am I supposed to do?

Question for people who have beaten the third boss (not a story spoiler but don't want to ruin the surprise of meeting new enemies for some players):

So after you entered the pathway, there is this new enemy with a huge polearm, and I can't figure out how to kill him. Every time I empty his health bar, he just kneels down and draws some kind of red energy from two giant stones and get back to full health. I tried to destroy the stones but couldn't. What am I supposed to do?

Destroy what it links to and pick the item up.

I'm having a weird issue that I have no idea how to resolve...

I saw earlier where someone posted what the settings file was supposed to be, problem is mine looks nothing like that and is only a few lines

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Fledge Settings file

// Category: Video
// fullscreen mode flag (true/false)
fullscreen = true
// the size of the main render window (e.g. 1024x768)
screen_size_windowed = 1280x720

gamma_correction_value = 1.000
subtitles_enabled = false
resource_package_type = PakFiles
load_from_binary_files = true
max_frame_rate = 60
starting_level = starting_level
game_mode = Default
vsync = true
general_detail_level = High
quality_textures = High
game_language_text = english
game_language_voice = english
vertical_look_inverted = false
apex_gpu_support_enabled = true

master_volume = 1
effect_volume = 1
music_volume = 1

and no matter what I try to change in the file it has no effect on the game. Tried setting the max frame rate to 30 to test and nothing. Any help? Also it's like it's not really going by that file because I have subtitles enabled and going by that file they shouldn't be.
Thats the settings file in the game directory, not your documents directory. Also, if you change anything in the file in the game directory, you have to delete the file from the settings directory for it to apply (to limit FPS for example) I THINK. And if you change any of the advanced graphics settings in game it seems to remove the FPS limit change...

Destroy what it links to and pick the item up.
Oh man thanks for this, I looked up some playthrough and found out it actually connects to an urn. I always thought it linked to the stones, probably just the position of the enemy and the energy flowing right through the two blocks of stones to get to the urn.

ironcreed

Banned
Checked it out for about an hour. It's about what I expected and I am digging it. Satisfyingly meaty combat with my warrior and a nice Soulsy flavor. Very pretty game and a fantastic atmosphere as well. Glad I bought it.

^^^^^

Totally agree. Sunset Overdrive is sick, and I have barely touched it because of this game. And Seb is still stuck fighting the Keeper in TEW!

HowZatOZ

Banned
Game is a lot more janky than I expected. Swapping from 1 hand to 2 hand is a chore, and the complete lack of animation is extremely dissapointing. Playing with 360 pad and the default controls are terrible, and the alternate one is barely better. I don't know what was wrong with Souls's controls that they felt they needed to reinvent the wheel and made a shit job of it.

Was there ever an animation for swapping weapons in the Souls? I haven't had any trouble with controls, using DS4 here and everything plays like the Souls series.

Neverfade

1) Is there a way to increase magic regeneration rate (permanently, not talking about the shard buffs)

2) Is there a way to remove runes from armor/weapons once they're placed?

3) What's the best way to take on those big shield guys (not the normal sized shield guys)? I end up having to use the gauntlet to take them down and its a fucking slog. Their shield covers a stupid amount of their flank and despite being a Dark Souls 1 and 2 vet, can't figure out how to whittle these guys down physically with reliable success.

Is that with lock-on rolls? Dev showed light rolls being circular around opponent vs straight line heavy rolls

The game does seem to have somewhat poor hit detection. Speculation on my part of course, but rogue is the class that suffers the most from this, as the necessity for quick rolls and precision with little ability to absorb damage becomes difficult. I experienced the same thing as you, feeling like I rolled out of the way many times during enemy attacks, yet the enemy still manages to hit me.

Warrior might be considered easy mode for this game but if I continue struggling with rogue tomorrow I might give it a try.

Yes I'm doing it with lock on rolls but Joco nails with his post. The hit box detection is the problem. I hope this too gets addressed on the patch coming because light armor is already flimsy as hell. It doesn't help you still get hit when you dodge out the way. Or maybe the I-frame is off. Something ain't right

BumRush

Yes I'm doing it with lock on rolls but Joco nails with his post. The hit box detection is the problem. I hope this too gets addressed on the patch coming because light armor is already flimsy as hell. It doesn't help you still get hit when you dodge out the way. Or maybe the I-frame is off. Something ain't right

I think it's the hit box...it's off for sure

purg3

slept with Malkin
What's the word on game length, I want to get it but not sure with all the other releases if I'll have time for it right now.

ArynCrinn

Banned

So...basically Dark Souls 2 issue all over again. No surprise with Namco behind this, honestly they need to give these dev's a lot more time to fine tune and polish.

Hell, Namco is the reason Demon Ruin's and Lost Izalith were terribad in Dark 1 and half their orig intended size without all the new enemy types, just had to copy/paste due to Namco-time. Hell, there was even supposed to be that area behind the first Black Knight guarding the Blue Tearstone Ring (the big gap that appears to lead somewhere else on the other side...yeah was supposed to be a optional latter game area with the boss being the Undead King. Thank Namco for ruining that too.

Don't even get me started on Dark Souls 2, which should have never existed but to line Namco's pockets since they knew Miyazaki was well into Bloodborne dev with Sony.

burgerdog

The problem with rolls is that enemies recover way too fast from their swings. In Souls a perfectly timed roll will leave you with a huge window to attack safely. In this game when I roll the enemy is already swinging at me again so I end up rolling 2-3 times before I'm finally able to counter attack.

The problem with rolls is that enemies recover way too fast from their swings. In Souls a perfectly timed roll will leave you with a huge window to attack safely. In this game when I roll the enemy is already swinging at me again so I end up rolling 2-3 times before I'm finally able to counter attack.

I agree with you there. The cpu is so aggressive you're better off circle strafing to get a backstab than rolling. The Souls game's always made me feel like the enemies had the same restrictions. Here? Not so much.

That being said I've been stuck at work all day and I want to do nothin more than come home & play this. I'm never a 2hander in any RPG but I love it here. Since the hit boxes are off, the bigger the weapon the better. I been able to pull off some nice combos & Persistance's back stab is boss af.

As for how the game looks following Mordor & TLOU:R this isn't even close on ps4. I do like the weapon & armor designs more than I did pre-release but the game isn't as clean looking as the other 2. Is this game 1080p?

Virdix

Played for 5 or 6 hours last night and had a blast, i kinda feel overwhelmed by all the weapons rhat my build started out all over the place. Im sticking to a faith/strength build at the moment.

As for how the game looks following Mordor & TLOU:R this isn't even close on ps4. I do like the weapon & armor designs more than I did pre-release but the game isn't as clean looking as the other 2. Is this game 1080p?

I feel the same. Just did a search on Google and most sources claim it is 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbone, but it doesn't look 1080p to me, feels as if there is always this thin layer of haze on screen.

I feel the same. Just did a search on Google and most sources claim it is 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbone, but it doesn't look 1080p to me, feels as if there is always this think layer of haze on screen.
I think it has something to do with all of the effects they have going on, it doesn't look super sharp at 1080p on PC either.

I'm having way more fun with this game so far than I did with any of the Dark Souls II DLCs. The lighting is simply gorgeous. And the world feels so much more lived in than Dark Souls, closer to the feel of Demon's Souls with books and pots on the fire and bodies everywhere. Dark Souls II was just empty hallway after empty hallway.

Now we just need PVP in the sequel. . . .

Also, for the record, I think this game looks miles better than TLoU on PS4. That game looked cross-gen to me all over the place. This game just oozes built from the ground up for PS4. The lighting effects they use, the way the metal armor looks, and the textures kill TLoU.

Trace

Banned
I'm having way more fun with this game so far than I did with any of the Dark Souls II DLCs. The lighting is simply gorgeous. And the world feels so much more lived in than Dark Souls, closer to the feel of Demon's Souls with books and pots on the fire and bodies everywhere. Dark Souls II was just empty hallway after empty hallway.

Now we just need PVP in the sequel. . . .

Also, for the record, I think this game looks miles better than TLoU on PS4. That game looked cross-gen to me all over the place. This game just oozes built from the ground up for PS4. The lighting effects they use, the way the metal armor looks, and the textures kill TLoU.

I'm really liking this game as well 5 hours in. I loved Dark Souls, but DkS2 just felt so lifeless and dull. Lords might be "generic fantasy", but it still feels full of stuff.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So...basically Dark Souls 2 issue all over again. No surprise with Namco behind this, honestly they need to give these dev's a lot more time to fine tune and polish.

Hell, Namco is the reason Demon Ruin's and Lost Izalith were terribad in Dark 1 and half their orig intended size without all the new enemy types, just had to copy/paste due to Namco-time. Hell, there was even supposed to be that area behind the first Black Knight guarding the Blue Tearstone Ring (the big gap that appears to lead somewhere else on the other side...yeah was supposed to be a optional latter game area with the boss being the Undead King. Thank Namco for ruining that too.

Don't even get me started on Dark Souls 2, which should have never existed but to line Namco's pockets since they knew Miyazaki was well into Bloodborne dev with Sony.

you do know that bannam had nothing to do with the games production of the first dark souls in japan right? was published by from software bannam only published it worldwide after.

deoee

Can someone help me?

I'm looking for a way into the Citadel right now, trough the Catacombs and I can't find it... I have like every shortcut open but it seems I'm missing something?

Zomba13

So I just found out that if you run into an enemy while holding your shield you kinda shield tackle them and it can break their guard or knock them over. Good stuff :D

Ferr986

Thats interesting, considering all the streams I saw was just castle interiors or snowy outsides, it felt like the world didnt have much variety and looked kinda lifeless.

Anyways I loved both Dark Souls games, so I guess Im gonna have to order this one today if its legit good.

ced

Played through the 2nd boss last night, more impressions later when not on the phone, but I'm really enjoying this.

Maffis

1) Is there a way to increase magic regeneration rate (permanently, not talking about the shard buffs)

2) Is there a way to remove runes from armor/weapons once they're placed?

3) What's the best way to take on those big shield guys (not the normal sized shield guys)? I end up having to use the gauntlet to take them down and its a fucking slog. Their shield covers a stupid amount of their flank and despite being a Dark Souls 1 and 2 vet, can't figure out how to whittle these guys down physically with reliable success.

Not sure about the first one, but yes you can unequip slots. Just press X (im on a gamepad but it tells you what button does what on the bottom of the screen. only works at the blacksmith though.

and for number 3, these dudes are really annoying. i think the best way is try to use the taunt spell and flank them, and then use shield bash in their face.

banjoted

That's a lot of anger aimed at two of the best games ever made!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
guys I want to buy it but i need a comparison between ps4 and xbox one..

anyone made one? i did not find anything >.<

Sande

Oh shit, the dead zone of the right stick is too small on PS4. My camera keeps going up by itself. Does the the (ridiculously huge) day 1 patch do anything about that? This is the second game I've played (the other being War Thunder, although that can be adjusted I think) that doesn't have the common sense to have a decent dead zone in the sticks. Maybe I should contact Sony since my DS4 has been like this from the get-go and this might be the first time it makes playing a game almost impossible.

cheezcake

If anyone who's gotten up to the fourth boss can help me here

So I just entered the pathway, right now I'm in that eternal flame area and I've found about a million different ways to get back to the east and west antechambers, but I have no idea how to progress from here. I've got two of those plate quest item things but I have no idea where Yetka went either.

deoee

If anyone who's gotten up to the fourth boss can help me here

So I just entered the pathway, right now I'm in that eternal flame area and I've found about a million different ways to get back to the east and west antechambers, but I have no idea how to progress from here. I've got two of those plate quest item things but I have no idea where Yetka went either.
Get up the stairs on the "balcony" where you can overwatch the big arena in the open. there's a statue. next to the statue is a stairway down.

Ricker

Oh shit, the dead zone of the right stick is too small on PS4. My camera keeps going up by itself. Does the the (ridiculously huge) day 1 patch do anything about that? This is the second game I've played (the other being War Thunder, although that can be adjusted I think) that doesn't have the common sense to have a decent dead zone in the sticks. Maybe I should contact Sony since my DS4 has been like this from the get-go and this might be the first time it makes playing a game almost impossible.

Well I installed the patch from the get go so I dont have that problem but I cant tell if it was there before...the problem I have is having to use the left stick in the inventory to select your equipement...so touchy landing on those 2 or 10 o'clock category,it drives me nuts...

Ferr986

Well, then we have to thanks Namco in that case for giving us an awesome sequel.

Maffis

Crashed again. At least the check points comes fairly often. Starting to get a bit annoying though.

Also, greatswords are mad OP. Seems to be the only attacks that can hit the ones behind shields and kill regenerating mobs fast enough. Or maybe it's just my other weapons are shit atm.

Alright. I tried this question earlier and it wasn't answered...Also, google is letting me down.

Are there alternate control schemes for the PS4/XB1 ? I have managed to get through Demon and Dark 1 & 2, but I really hate the button layout.

RB has never been my favorite for attack in a 3rd person action game so I was just curious.

Maffis

Alright. I tried this question earlier and it wasn't answered...Also, google is letting me down.

Are there alternate control schemes for the PS4/XB1 ? I have managed to get through Demon and Dark 1 & 2, but I really hate the button layout.

RB has never been my favorite for attack in a 3rd person action game so I was just curious.

No sorry there isn't. The only alternate control scheme is too make some small changes like sprinting button, jumping and evading. it also makes you use items instantly instead of having too hold the button down.

Loving the game. I never got into the Souls series, mostly because of a lack of a pause button. With my job and life, I need to be able to walk away from a game on a moment's notice. But this game is so fun.

Just throwing this out there for a strategy on the big meaty guys with shields (in Back Entrance area).
Wait until they come to you. Don't roll or block. They will charge. Once they start their charging animation, get your swing going. You'll hit them without their shield mitigation every time and reap a lot of xp. Their base xp is 650, and if you have about 20k xp on you, they ramp up to 1300xp per kill.
I farm them when I wanna level up a bit more.

No sorry there isn't. The only alternate control scheme is too make some small changes like sprinting button, jumping and evading. it also makes you use items instantly instead of having too hold the button down.

Cool. I am probably going to dive in anyways...I like this style of game too much to pass up!

Thanks!

-PXG-

I got Sunset Overdrive and this last night. I was more excited for SO but ended up having more fun with Lords of the Fallen.

Definitely wait until the patch is installed until you play. I've only killed the first boss so far, but I really like it. I own Dark Souls on PC but I've never played it. I've seen plenty of videos of it to kinda get a feel for how it plays. This is definitely more deliberate, more realistic and convincing than the Souls games. Overall it's the feedback you get from a kill is very satisfying. Things move and act as you would expect them to. Plus it looks great too.

The frame rate could be better and there is a bit of jank, but it's forgivable since it is quite an ambitious game for such a small, unknown studio.

ced

I had a crash this morning on the PS4, said the application has had an error and closed it. I'm really lucky I had just decided to bank my exp and save, I would have lost a good hour plus of exploring the area before the second boss.

That brings me to a point of the risk vs reward exp / loot system. So far it's just risk vs a game crash, not a risk vs the actual game. There is no way I'm not saving from now own as often as possible.

Anyways, I've been very happy with the game so far until that crash.

While the Souls influence is blatantly obvious, I think we need to quit just comparing it to that series. This is the best ARPG we have received in a long, long time (Not counting Souls). It's so refreshing to actually have some challenge and exploration again in a game. No bullshit arrows pointing me where to go, what to do etc. I spent my last hour just exploring the area between boss 1 and 2, and I missed a lot of stuff. If you want a bit more challenge just go with light armor, it keeps you careful and feels a ton better.

Anyone found a use for the Northern Monastery Wing Key yet? I searched everywhere prior to boss 2, I'm assuming it's for later.

Oh and fuck those spiders, they still are wrecking me and I haven't fully explored the Cellars because of them.

Top Bottom