• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Stimpack

No, but I didn't parry in Dark Souls 1.

So, is it like when you pimp slap (guard break) in DSII?

BTW how about answering the question xD??

lol, my copy is still on the way from GameFly, sadly. I just thought it was odd for someone to play Dark Souls 2 exclusively, but apparently that's not the case. They didn't fall on the ground in Demon's Souls/DS1.

Oh, for some reason I had another 550mb patch to download when I restarted Steam...

The slightly uneven framerate I was experiencing despite Fraps saying it was 60 is gone, horray. Also, I restarted as a warrior. It really is easy mode compared to rogue.

Game is a lot more janky than I expected. Swapping from 1 hand to 2 hand is a chore, and the complete lack of animation is extremely dissapointing. Playing with 360 pad and the default controls are terrible, and the alternate one is barely better. I don't know what was wrong with Souls's controls that they felt they needed to reinvent the wheel and made a shit job of it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Game is a lot more janky than I expected. Swapping from 1 hand to 2 hand is a chore, and the complete lack of animation is extremely dissapointing. Playing with 360 pad and the default controls are terrible, and the alternate one is barely better. I don't know what was wrong with Souls's controls that they felt they needed to reinvent the wheel and made a shit job of it.

this isnt a souls game or the souls team

No one on my friends list is playing this game. Add me people! PSN: WheelHoss1

Gonna give my rogue until the 2nd boss, and if I can't get through him, I'm going Warrior or Cleric.

@Para: how are you enjoying Cleric?

Also, I found that you can kick like Dark Souls 1. But it seems there's no jump attack. Am I wrong?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is the frame rate 30 on the PS4?

I'm running everything on high at 1080p with a locked frame rate of 30. 660ti.

It's running really well... Never drops below 30.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So what is the trick to blocking and dodging? Seems I can do neither to the first boss.

trick to blocking? you press the block button and need to have enough stamina, just like demon/dark souls. if you have been attacking and used up all your stamina you cant block (the yellow bar)

dodging is just a timing thing

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Question from the very beginning after first boss:
is Kaslo in the first room or section? Or is he further into the castle for a bit

Sothpaw

Anyone able to play on PC so far with minimal or no crashes? Kids are going to bed soon and am wondering to fire this up or stick with Civ Beyond Earth for a few more nights.

Despera

Banned
Also, I found that you can kick like Dark Souls 1. But it seems there's no jump attack. Am I wrong?
There is, actually. You just need to click forward on the left analog stick a tad earlier to pressing R2, rather than simultaniously clicking both at the same time.

Jobbs

Banned
Initial impressions are a bit meh. Playing on PS4 -- the textures and overall IQ just aren't quite as good as I was hoping, but more importantly the framerate is unstable and there's significant screen tearing. I also encountered a strange bug early on where I'd lose some of the sounds -- The whole first boss fight all I could hear were background noises. It was odd.

Controls are on paper almost identical to Dark Souls, but the feel is very heavy and slow.

So -- While it may end up getting better or drawing me in more, initial impression is that it just makes me want to go play real Dark Souls.

Rhaknar

Had my second crash, BSOD. Maybe I should wait until it's patched before playing any further.

these crashes are bumming me out because I really liked what little I played. Also, because I guess I usually luck out with these type of things, ive never had problems with games (like GFWL problems which most ppl have, Uplay problems, etc) I guess I was due, and it does indeed suck when it happens :/

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
these crashes are bumming me out because I really liked what little I played. Also, because I guess I usually luck out with these type of things, ive never had problems with games (like GFWL problems which most ppl have, Uplay problems, etc) I guess I was due, and it does indeed suck when it happens :/

Yeah, the most frustrating thing is I'm really enjoying the game.

drotahorror

Anyone know why I can't get the last ability "Shift"? I have the faith requirement, I have all the other abilities, I've killed the graveyard boss....

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
RE: Screen Tearing - I really haven't seen any after updating the game.

Moral Panic said:
Swapping from 1 hand to 2 hand is a chore.

It's like one button press. I will however say that having it cycle through Two-Handed, Gauntlet and then back to Sword & Board is a bit tedious. There really should have been a dedicated two-handing button and one to swap to and from Gauntlet mode.

FlyinJ said:
Question from the very beginning after first boss:

Just keep playing.

JON4495 said:
What does the gauntlet do?

Projectile Mode: Shoots a long range missle. Decent damage. Blast Mode: Kind of a shotgun effect that will knock some enemies on their ass. Explosive: Tosses out a grenade that detonates after a few seconds. I am guessing that will be for a bit of opening AOE damage.

The second boss was obnoxious because
The fast enemy kept running around in a circle instead of fighting, so I wasn't able to kill them and then get hits in on the boss while he was doing his super. As for beating him, I just circle danced him until he did his shield slam; back up and then move in and get one or two hits off. When he also does his sword super is a good time to get hits in. Anything else and I swung way to slow for it to get in before he got his fucking shield back up. When he summons adds, I just killed the big guy first, and then the little guy (since he was an ass about running around).[/quote]

The good thing about this game is that you can actually pause - so I would use The Butcher on the boss, and a slower heavier weapon on the enemies to kill them quicker.

So far the game is fun, the level design is definitely going for that Dark Souls 1 vibe where it branches off a bit and you're not quite sure where to go next. I do wish the backstabs were a bit.. .better. Guys will swing and it's good that there is no tracking, but you hit them from behind and SOMETIMES it registers. I swear its finicky as fuck.

Also those spiders in the first area are fucking ridiculous. There better be something good down there. . .

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, does your stamina affect the amount of damage you do?

tjohn86

Anyone able to play on PC so far with minimal or no crashes? Kids are going to bed soon and am wondering to fire this up or stick with Civ Beyond Earth for a few more nights.

I've played for 5 hours now with no crashes.

Running a 2500K and 7950 on the 14.9 drivers.

tjohn86

I cannot seem to beat the
heavier shielded enemies
near the
cemetery

Tips? Do I just need to get good?

drotahorror

Anyone know why I can't get the last ability "Shift"? I have the faith requirement, I have all the other abilities, I've killed the graveyard boss....

Guess I'm just screwed. Other people have the ability and they haven't even killed the graveyard boss. gg

Figured it out, have to invest 5 points into skill before the 4th one unlocks.

Ricker

Mmmm,ok,main quest question...
Is Kaslo inside the first area where you kill the first Boss...? because I didnt find him yet and if I go outside,I reached the second Boss and there was still no Kaslo...of course I didnt even come close to killing that Boss,so maybe its after...?
...because besides doing the spoiler,I am going in a big circle now,I can kill everything except that Spider,which made me redo everyone outside,grinding that for now...

Also am I blind or can you only see your level at the load game screen and not in the actual game...? also first level Prayer is not that good...

So far, his game is exactly what I wanted. I love it.

I gave an honest 12-hour effort for Dark Souls, but naw. I like hard games, but that game was a repetitious trial, and the inability to pause just doesn't work with my life. Especially in a game with such a large death penalty.

Some will come at this game as 'dark souls lite' as a slight, but personally I think it's perfect. Weighty, deliberate combat, with still a large penalty for dying - and a cool reward mechanic to push your saves farther.

I love the gaudy art style. It works for me. Game is gorgeous.

Don't run so great on my 660 which is in my 'steambox'. Playable, but not great. I've only had one crash on that box. Runs much better on my main PC with a 280X. Zero crashes.

Ricker

So far, his game is exactly what I wanted. I love it.

I gave an honest 12-hour effort for Dark Souls, but naw. I like hard games, but that game was a repetitious trial, and the inability to pause just doesn't work with my life. Especially in a game with such a large death penalty.

Some will come at this game as 'dark souls lite' as a slight, but personally I think it's perfect. Weighty, deliberate combat, with still a large penalty for dying - and a cool reward mechanic to push your saves farther.

I love the gaudy art style. It works for me. Game is gorgeous.

Don't run so great on my 660 which is in my 'steambox'. Playable, but not great. I've only had one crash on that box. Runs much better on my main PC with a 280X. Zero crashes.

Maybe I am not understanding everything yet but if you manage to go get your experience back after you die,what is the huge penalty for dying...?

Marc

Ok, was massively looking forward to this game and been playing for a few hours now.

Overall having a blast and is basically an 'easier' but less tightly formed version of Souls, in HD which is what I wanted.

PROS:

- Looks amazing, great sense of the world given and even early on can see the huge scale of levels.

- Great fun when things click.

- Not up to speed on all the quirks but the experience multiplier is a great idea and works well.

- Bosses are a good challenge and the health portions changing their combat style is good fun and pushes the player.

- The design of everything is great, definitely my kind of game design.

- Familiar enough to pick up and play, but different enough to make things interesting.

CONS:

- The hit detection is really poor, very random and outright frustrating. I was turtle stabbing a dude in a hallway and didn't register after multiple tries but a light attack worked straight away. If the bad guy has a tower shield (a lot) even when you get in behind your sword can bounce off their shield. It is happening so often I have changed strategies. I now run at them holding R1 to bash through their defence. Takes longer and not as satisfying so disappointing.

- The lack of direction could be expected I guess with no map and souls inspired but after the tutorial boss it is so vague in where you are going I have given up on the objective. They also say it is urgent, yet there is another boss and dozens of guys between them at the least. It was a negative of Souls that didn't need copying imo.

- I can't tell for sure but seems like bad guys level up with you, archers get way tougher suddenly at least.

- The camera and lock on do not work well together with multiple enemies, really gets hard to see what is going on if there are any smaller areas.

- Playing as a warrior and always been a sword and shield guy, so far the game really doesn't offer much choice for this. Keep getting blunt weapons or axes so still playing with the first sword. You get a big sword which is too slow for me and a couple of short swords which seem pointless to me as the attack range is already poor and damage is too weak. Early days but got loads of stuff and want none of it apart from a cool helmet.

Feels like the game was a little undercooked and rushed to meet the release date but I for one demanded a game like this before Christmas so happy they did. Just hope the game does well enough to warrant a sequel as so far this is a very good game. With more time and money they could make a great game I am sure.

Joco

Would like to hear some more people's experiences and how it has gone with their particular class. As I already mentioned I'm having a tough time with rogue. Anyone else with rogue care to share their progress, or maybe some tips?

If anyone else can comment on warrior or cleric as well, it would be appreciated.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Maybe I am not understanding everything yet but if you manage to go get your experience back after you die,what is the huge penalty for dying...?

Depending on where you last had a checkpoint, it's unlikely you'll get all your experience back. You can also die again and lose everything.

I'm having a weird issue that I have no idea how to resolve...

I saw earlier where someone posted what the settings file was supposed to be, problem is mine looks nothing like that and is only a few lines

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Fledge Settings file

// Category: Video
// fullscreen mode flag (true/false)
fullscreen = true
// the size of the main render window (e.g. 1024x768)
screen_size_windowed = 1280x720

gamma_correction_value = 1.000
subtitles_enabled = false
resource_package_type = PakFiles
load_from_binary_files = true
max_frame_rate = 60
starting_level = starting_level
game_mode = Default
vsync = true
general_detail_level = High
quality_textures = High
game_language_text = english
game_language_voice = english
vertical_look_inverted = false
apex_gpu_support_enabled = true

master_volume = 1
effect_volume = 1
music_volume = 1

and no matter what I try to change in the file it has no effect on the game. Tried setting the max frame rate to 30 to test and nothing. Any help? Also it's like it's not really going by that file because I have subtitles enabled and going by that file they shouldn't be.

I think I will love this game when they fix the tearing on PS4, prepatch is abysmal but it's still bad after the patch.

Anyone use the lion DLC from GameStop?

I have sunset overdrive to keep me occupied so hopefully they can fix tearing fully soon.

"Noticeable drop" implies that there is still some, though? Glad to hear it's improving but I was hoping it'd be completely gone.

Also, any crashes on PS4 yet? Since my PC can't run this at 1080p apparently, I suppose I'll get it for PS4. I hope that one is stable. How is the framerate?

It went from terrible to intermittent, but still way too prevalent, even in the small interior areas

I am enjoying this game, but damn I wish it would run better with a 295x2 get around 39-49 FPS with an overclocked 2500k with all high settings at 1440p. Maybe I can wait til AMD hopefully releases some crossfire profiles, I will say it looks really nice and the particles look awesome!

BumRush

My impressions about 2 hours in:

- anyone saying that it's "faster" than souls is out of their fucking mind! The combat is slow and deliberate...not a bad thing, just takes a while to get used to it.

- playing on ps4, graphics are good but besides some impressive lighting effects I wouldn't say I'm blown away by its next-Gen-Ness so far. No bugs yet...no frame drops...tearing is there and annoying but not gamebreaking.

- it is NOT an "easy" game. Run of the mill enemies are very easy but even the first boss fight is no cake walk. You cannot simply walk into a mini-boss or boss fight and button mash like some people have said...which leads me to my favorite aspect so far...

- boss fights are a ton of fun, leading to a major sense of accomplishment when you win. Maybe there is a way to cheese these guys - and maybe magic will change the game drastically as I explore it further - but right from the start, the first boss takes about 5 minutes to take down. Long, interesting boss battles are welcome.

- overall, after an hour or two I'd say I like it. It should probably feel more like souls than it does but combat just feels...different. not in a bad way, just makes it its own game. Too early to give a review, but I'd recommend it from what I've played.

Sothpaw

I've played for 5 hours now with no crashes.

Running a 2500K and 7950 on the 14.9 drivers.

Great I am on 4770K and 7970 with the same drivers. Time to fire her up.

For the love of gawd, someone please make a PC performance thread. Thanks in advance.

I don't think that's necessary for this game. This thread is 12 pages even with all of our PC talk. It's probably healthy for the thread considering it actually stays bumped.

Would like to hear some more people's experiences and how it has gone with their particular class. As I already mentioned I'm having a tough time with rogue. Anyone else with rogue care to share their progress, or maybe some tips?

If anyone else can comment on warrior or cleric as well, it would be appreciated.

I've tried to play a full rogue and I failed miserably. Something seems off with the roll to me. I feel like I time my roll perfectly yet my enemy slides forward enough to have be out of harms way.

Then again it could be the Framerate that makes it so difficult to play rogue. Instead I chose to put a 1 hand sword & shield on him so I can be fluid yet effective. Not feeling the daggers in this.

Tilian

Banned
What kind of wobble is it? Is it jerky like Tomb Raider, or more subtle like the "head bobbing" in certain FPS games?

I was literally on the verge of clicking buy on PSN, but decided to check here first to see if there were any weird technical niggles that aren't likely to be patched.

FPS head wobble. Looks like I'm the only one with a problem with it, so it likely won't bother you. YT videos should give you a good idea of what I mean.

I've tried to play a full rogue and I failed miserably. Something seems off with the roll to me. I feel like I time my roll perfectly yet my enemy slides forward enough to have be out of harms way.

Then again it could be the Framerate that makes it so difficult to play rogue. Instead I chose to put a 1 hand sword & shield on him so I can be fluid yet effective. Not feeling the daggers in this.

Is that with lock-on rolls? Dev showed light rolls being circular around opponent vs straight line heavy rolls

Top Bottom